Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Lol holy poo poo http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/31/report-knicks-never-offered-derrick-rose-even-a-minimum-contract/

On the "also funny" side, here's a secret about Steven Adams's training methods

Ah yes, the Inspector Clouseau method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Is that how Draymond got the idea to do the dick kicks?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol morey is mad https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/892051473466626048

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Houston Rockets- Notorious NBA Winners

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Ah yes, the Inspector Clouseau method.

No not right now Darko you idiot you absolute ninny this is an actual game

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DeimosRising posted:

No not right now Darko you idiot you absolute ninny this is an actual game

Need a ClouseauXlator

Neu, nut raight new Darko, uu idiot :discourse:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just imagine this but what if Chris Paul was sitting between them!
Amazing!!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ZiggyOfAk/status/892093703950610433

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/892104339682058241

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

goddamn thats derrick rose money

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seems like he is worth $2 mil here... did he explode to death last year?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
He's a combo forward that doesn't defend, create, or shoot remotely well on 3's.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
It always felt like Terrance Jones was killing the Warriors

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

E2M2 posted:

It always felt like Terrance Jones was killing the Warriors

I don't think he ever played for them :confused:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

ButtWolf posted:

Seems like he is worth $2 mil here... did he explode to death last year?

it seems like that nerve damage pretty much derailed his career. he was a decent rotation player that last year in houston, granted he still needed a lot of polish.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

He's a combo forward that doesn't defend, create, or shoot remotely well on 3's.

He can create pretty decently, actually. Doesn't do much with the space he creates, but he can create it! I don't remember if he was a bad defender or just average last season.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm now very curious what happens with Donatas Motiejunas, because he's been Terrence Jones' eternal rival since Houston.

The greatest story is him also going to China and pushing out Jones one last time.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

I'm now very curious what happens with Donatas Motiejunas, because he's been Terrence Jones' eternal rival since Houston.

The greatest story is him also going to China and pushing out Jones one last time.

Several of his recent workout pictures show him still wearing Pelican gear, but there is no word out of either camp that such a thing is happening.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

someone made a basetball connect four and occurred to me that rondo would be worse at this than regular connect four because it involves shooting
https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/31/16073438/basketball-connect-four-is-as-awesome-as-you-think-it-sounds

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
https://twitter.com/SamHustis/status/892203650541539328

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
klay for president

hey
hey
vote for klay
he'll throw a heater
on opening day

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Klay only messes up when chinese girls are around

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My first takeaway from the Orlando Magic 30 for 30 is that Scott Skiles was a loving insufferable dick even in the 90s. And man and I loved that Rockets team, but they had so much less actual talent than the Magic. The mental game is real. I watched that in real time but was too young to understand I was watching Nick Anderson mentally break in real time and everyone else fell apart right behind him. Then, in a documentary that is celebrating the Orlando Magic, the owners and management still sound like loving idiots trying to defend lowballing Shaq.

Also it sounded like I legit broke my stepdad's heart when he asked me what I thought about Ball and I told him. :(

His dad would've been talking about it on air for six months if he messed that up, a lot of pressure.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Rick posted:

His dad would've been talking about it on air for six months if he messed that up, a lot of pressure.

actually when his son fails he calls off work to have a family temper tantrum about it

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

3NP of 1 over five seasons sounds bad. Especially for a guy taking almost 3 a night. Ignoring his rookie season, where he was used very differently and was still adjusting to the league, in the last 4 years, among guys who have played at least 1 full season of games while taking 3 triples a night, he has the 31st lowest % out of 145 players. 26 3NP, comparable to Eric Bledsoe (19 3NP) and Rudy Gay (35 3NP) who have reputations as poor shooters, and he's absolutely being smoked by guys like Robert Covington and Carmelo Anthoy. You can tell me where he lands overall but as high volume three point shooters go he's among the worst. Not miserable, but below average.

It does sounds like a very low number but it's better than 70%+ of the league. If we include the playoffs it jumps up to 9.

You won't get me to say that Green is a great 3P shooter. I just wouldn't call average or slightly below average "bad." There are guys who've taken a lot more threes at a way worse percentage that fit into the bad range.

Here are some bad 3P shooters since 2013 (regular and postseason):

code:
3NP	Player
-75	Giannis Antetokounmpo
-77	Zach Randolph
-78	Derrick Rose
-82	Andre Roberson
-93	Jared Sullinger
-96	Marcus Smart
-96	Josh Smith
-97	DeMar DeRozan
-102	Russell Westbrook
-108	Kobe Bryant
-113	Tony Wroten
-123	Monta Ellis
-123	Michael Carter-Williams
-214	Corey Brewer
All those guys are at least a full standard deviation below average over that period.

Then the great 3P guys. The dozen who've been a full three standard deviations above the field over the last five seasons:

code:
3NP	Player
1276	Stephen Curry
873	Klay Thompson
788	Kyle Korver
567	J.J. Redick
470	Danny Green
378	J.R. Smith
346	Jose Calderon
333	Bradley Beal
328	Kevin Durant
326	Wesley Matthews
318	Kyrie Irving
317	Damian Lillard

DeimosRising posted:

It's called hyperbole Zogo. It's a human affectation, don't worry about it. What I mean is that because of a few memorable performances from 3 he is treated like a more dangerous shooter than he is.

If you're going for hyperbole I'd go much bigger than that because 6for8 is within the realm of possibility and hyperbolic statements by definition are not. e.g. I'd say Green is likely to go 15for20.

DeimosRising posted:

But I bet almost no one would say he's a worse 3pt shooter than Anthony and Covington when objectively he is.

Those people are confused. If somebody thinks Green > Carmelo from 3P range then they didn't watch the 2012 Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxqQX2Do6Bw

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Azathoth posted:

Why it makes sense for the Cavs: If they don't get a starting caliber PG back in the trade, you're looking at either having Lebron running point all year or having Derrick Rose be your starting point guard.

It's very unlikely LBJ will ever be forced into the one slot for a whole season. It'd be a misuse of talent.

Ammanas posted:

Yeah there's a huge difference between even late 80s kids and early 80s kids, they're wildly different and marketers lumping it all together is goofy (millennial now means born 1980-2017??)

Millenial usually means early 1980s to early 2000s and after that is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Z

Gen Z is taking a lot of flak now because everyday there's a new story on the news about some Gen Z kid documenting their fatal car crash (and aftermath)/crime/robbery/shooting sprees/raping sprees because of their inability to put the phone down. This is only going to increase in the coming years. It will continue to horrify very old people who don't know how to use cellphones.

Facebook live is a toilet horror show. Youtube is a cesspool. It'd be even worse if it weren't for the fact that current societies are too paranoid for Google glass.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Libertine posted:

Probably because Derrick Rose isn't worth an NBA minimum contract being a huge net negative on the floor for every season going back like five years to the last time he was healthy.

Like I hope he somehow revitalizes his career playing fun basketball with Cleveland and they just cover all his glaring weaknesses but I don't know.

As much as I hate to admit it because I love making GBS threads on Derrick Rose he got better toward the end of the year. Obviously it's a small sample size but he's easily playable in a backup position if he could maintain that productivity.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Ghost Dog posted:

actually when his son fails he calls off work to have a family temper tantrum about it

never forget how hard klays dad got shook

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Kibner posted:

Just promise me to not eat at any national chain restaurants while you are down here. Except for like Raising Cane's, I guess. Popeyes is also a little different and better the closer it is to NOLA, too. The city has more restaurants per capita than pretty much anywhere else, so there is a lot to choose from! The "explore" function on Google maps is also pretty accurate at finding very tasty places to eat. Anything four stars or above is easily worth trying.

Being the pedantic dickweed that I am, I couldn't let this go.

New Orleans is a great food town, but San Francisco is better and has far and away the most restaurants per capita in the US.

To its credit, New Orleans is No. 1 in bars per capita, with SF clocking in at No. 8.

https://www.trulia.com/blog/trends/eating-towns-drinking-towns/

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Counter point gently caress San Francisco

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

predicto posted:

New Orleans is a great food town, but San Francisco is better and has far and away the most restaurants per capita in the US.

To its credit, New Orleans is No. 1 in bars per capita, with SF clocking in at No. 8.

The best restaurants in New Orleans are better than San Francisco's best.

edit: A big reason why is preference towards regional food.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 1, 2017

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

predicto posted:

Counterpoint: who gives a gently caress

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

His brother is a fringe mlb outfielder so it makes sense

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Heaven forbid someone talk about how good the food is in their city which is known for food. Better have a San Franciscan come in and set the record straight

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if the insistence that san fran food is good is anything like the insistence that klay thompson is likeable then san frans food is probably loving garbage

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Noctone posted:

Counterpoint: who gives a gently caress

Couter counterpoint: gently caress off

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 1, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You can get $13 avocado toast from a highly rated on Yelp breakfast place that has like a 25 minute wait at 8am on Sunday. Check mate New Orleans :colbert:

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

https://infogram.com/U-S--Cities-with-the-most-restaurants-per-capita?src=web

juneau alaska is actually the best restaurant city in america guys. Forget about new orleans lmao, im down for some goddang sarah palin eats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

https://twitter.com/blakegriffin32/status/892078218680905728

• Locked thread