Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Honestly the only thing I'm super worried about for MHWorld is that I don't think multiplat is a great idea for it. For whatever reason my friend groups are divided on what they're getting it for and it could make online matches harder to find without any kind of cross netplay

It's more Capcom trying to pander more to the west without -thinking- about the west. This isn't a problem in Japan where I guarantee everyone will get it on PS4, meanwhile I already know even with the delay I'll be waiting for it on PC. With video games incredibly expensive anymore I'm not buying the game twice. Not to mention I'd like it more on portable.

Like I'm sure it'll be good I'm just not sure where Capcom is going with their decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Capcoms at "more options for the consumer is good" sorry it doesn't work for your gamer friend circle...but its objectivley a good thing

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Cicadas! posted:

also this has never been the case in the history of time

I'm still feeding off the smug from calling the lack of a XX translation, Capcom is whack yo! Not that I really called it, I just pointed out that trying to rely on Capcom to do the "logical" thing has not been a historically winning strategy. Got a lot of pushback on even that qualified of a statement though, people just really wanna believe I guess.

In all fairness though, my understanding is that they have limited localization ability and they decided to put resources towards a worldwide simultaneous release for World instead. I'm sure they could have outsourced (or outsourced to a different company, I think they already outsource) or paid Nintendo to do it or something, but all of that would have taken $$$, which Capcom has always historically been allergic to spending. I would have loved to play XX but a Switch is not in my immediate future and honestly I'm getting tired of handheld MH. I've played every game in the series but my first love was always MH on PS2 and I definitely prefer the series on console. They have an ace art department and it's been sad having them shackled to the 3DS. Visually, World is what I've always dreamed MH should be, an awesome, verdant, prehistoric world, full of pseudo-realistic monsters that you get to jab pointy things into.

As for Chibi, there's always a wet blanket. I assume he's just upset that he got a Switch for MH and Capcom left him in the dirt, the rest is just rationalization of his butthurt. Trying to justify MH: World as too much of a departure from the series and then anticipating MH:XX in the same breath is straight up hilarious. I'd be happy to see a XX localization but honestly I doubt I'd even buy it at this point. World is the future and the future looks bright.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 28, 2017

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
tbh I'm glad mh:w is going back to traditional styles. I was okay with the new ones introduced in x, but brave felt like too much of a power creep for certain weapons in xx. transmog might be the only qol feature xx introduced that I liked.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Every time somebody complains about how Styles made it too easy, I can only think of the stories I've heard about legendary grognards who kick people from the room for using traps or flash bombs. Can't interrupt the elegant purity of my dance with this boss's attack patterns in the multiplayer game about cats :fap:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Let me talk to the thread about how Monster Hunter Portable 3rd didn't get a localization and how that is Capcom making GBS threads on "fans who made the series popular in the West". Firstly,

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Also lol if you think MHXX is the true successor to capcom hunting action gamesoft, back in the day we took our greatsword and only performed uncharged attacks because charges didn't exist and we LIKED IT so HA, now ive beaten you in grognarding too

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
In actual content, World videos motivated me to try the Tencent Monster Hunter Online and holy moly it's really turned into Frontier updated with 3rd gen mons. Some of the weapons have funky interesting ways of getting around their attacks, though much differently from Gen styles. SnS's longest jump slash requiring you to be moving away from your target is kind of ?????

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Real Talk: I'm glad they found a way to make the Swaxe even more anime than it already was, because that's what I'm planning to main.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ChibiSoma posted:

I still think World still looks like shite.

Why?

ChibiSoma posted:

There's no conflict anywhere and that's what makes all of this even more infuriating. World is releasing next year on the PS4. Double Cross has been out for awhile, with the Switch version releasing in late August. No conflict of system OR release date. I get wanting to promote the next 'big' thing, but if they have any plans on MHXX coming over whatsoever, staying completely silent isn't the right way to go about it, because all it's doing is pissing off the side that wants more traditional MH over the flashy action of World. All they have to do - literally all they have to do - is say "We're focused on World right now but we do plan to localize MHXX later!"

We get the localized titles months/years later. I wouldn't doubt if they realized that finishing up the localization of XX would be around the time of MHW's release and they didn't want people choosing one game over the other. As much as I love MH if two games dropped at the same time I wouldn't have time for both and I'm sure this goes for a ton of other MH Fans. Are you more upset that you're not getting XX or that you're not getting a MH you can play, assuming you don't have any of the other platforms that MHW is going to be on?

I also don't get how XX is traditional. At all.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

I also don't get how XX is traditional. At all.

It's the opposite and that's what makes it so good :yeah:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Bombadilillo posted:

Capcoms at "more options for the consumer is good" sorry it doesn't work for your gamer friend circle...but its objectivley a good thing

More options is definitely good! I completely agree.

Making a game multiplatform and not allowing cross-platform play? That is asinine and also anti-consumer.

If this thing had cross-platform play it would have literally no downside. Well... that and Prowlers. If it had those things it would be perfect.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Not enabling cross-platform play sounds like anti-competitive behavior to me and should result in fines for sony and microsoft but hey, not my justice department.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Your Computer posted:

It's the opposite and that's what makes it so good :yeah:

Exactly this, but to say XX is what the West should have gotten instead of World, and to imply World is a betrayal without ever having played the final version which could possibly even have features catering to you, is cancerous.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Silver Falcon posted:

More options is definitely good! I completely agree.

Making a game multiplatform and not allowing cross-platform play? That is asinine and also anti-consumer.

If this thing had cross-platform play it would have literally no downside. Well... that and Prowlers. If it had those things it would be perfect.

If anything PC and Xbox will probably be able to do crossplatform, but count Sony out.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

s.i.r.e. posted:

If anything PC and Xbox will probably be able to do crossplatform, but count Sony out.

It would be the opposite of that, probably. Sony's gotten pretty good at handling cross-platform stuff between playstation and PC, between various MMOs and Street Fighter 5.

The issue is that it's usually part of an exclusivity deal. They don't consider the PC to be console competition, which is correct, because we're talking about a $400 device vs a $900+ device, so both companies are a little more willing to play ball with console-to-PC play if it's their console exclusive. They definitely don't want to allow the competition to play with their own customers, because that reduces the value of buying into their platform for the people playing on the other one.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I am glad they are making MH for a playstation console again because I will not buy a switch for this.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I've bought at least three consoles solely for Monster Hunter. Some fan you are

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

a shame i will burden forever

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Uh you also may or may not get Metroid Prime 4 in like a decade. So think of it as a long term investment.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

deadly_pudding posted:

It would be the opposite of that, probably. Sony's gotten pretty good at handling cross-platform stuff between playstation and PC, between various MMOs and Street Fighter 5.

Not if it's PS4 to anything that isn't PC, Minecraft is unifying itself with crossplatform across PC/Xbox/Switch/Mobile but Sony isn't going to be part of it because "they have to protect their userbase." It's dumb. If MHW was only PS4 and PC, then they wouldn't give a poo poo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Not if it's PS4 to anything that isn't PC, Minecraft is unifying itself with crossplatform across PC/Xbox/Switch/Mobile but Sony isn't going to be part of it because "they have to protect their userbase." It's dumb. If MHW was only PS4 and PC, then they wouldn't give a poo poo.

If you are on a Nintendo Switch and want to play minecraft crossplat. You then log onto your Microsoft live account to connect. They set it up in a way where it obvious why Sony doesn't like it. That's on minecraft on that one.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bombadilillo posted:

If you are on a Nintendo Switch and want to play minecraft crossplat. You then log onto your Microsoft live account to connect. They set it up in a way where it obvious why Sony doesn't like it. That's on minecraft on that one.

Yeah but Rocket League doesn't do this and Sony is still saying no.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Really? Huh :capitalism: I guess.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

dragon enthusiast posted:

I've bought at least three consoles solely for Monster Hunter. Some fan you are

WiiU was bad enough, glad I didn't have to follow it with the Switch.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Can't you do crossplay in custom lobbies or something between PS4 and PC?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bombadilillo posted:

But what about other games requiring accounts for online access like Square or Ubisoft? Sony doesn't apparently care about that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

But what about other games requiring accounts for online access like Square or Ubisoft? Sony doesn't apparently care about that.

Those aren't Xbox accounts

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
New video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m81XclDe5Dc) showing the same singleplayer demo we've seen but with new equipment: female hunter in full Anjanath armor using the dual swords. This: https://gfycat.com/YellowSadEgg occurs very early on. I am very excited.

Edit: When they go and switch weapons, they switch to IG. Also the Palico jumps on your back when you use the fast travel back to base it's adorable. Also given how they are using this same demo for all these demonstrations and it apparently has full multiplayer and seems pretty feature complete in terms of weapons etc, wouldn't surprise me to see it showing up as a playable demo later this year.

Holy moley when they get triple up on the IG and start flipping around, :allears:

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 28, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Please don't kick the frogs :ohdear:

e: Female ingot armor looks rad as hell.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 29, 2017

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'm pretty sure the only reason it's not cross-platform multiplayer is capcom not wanting to handle anything about the online, since that would be more expensive on their end and thus require them to charge players directly rather than just leaving it all to sony/valve/ms. As a bonus, it's PS4 exclusive in Japan so they won't have split playerbase issues in the most important region anyway.

Rocket League has cross-platform because it uses its own servers, similar to any MMO with cross-platform like the various FF MMO over the years.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AttackBacon posted:

New video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m81XclDe5Dc) showing the same singleplayer demo we've seen but with new equipment: female hunter in full Anjanath armor using the dual swords.

Catte spotted! :woop: I'm sold.

Your Computer posted:

Gonna need some footage of hunting horn, cats and some more color before I'm sold.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Cross-platform multiplayer is also a huge pain in the rear end when it comes to keeping versions in sync thanks to console patch certification.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

s.i.r.e. posted:

Are you more upset that you're not getting XX or that you're not getting a MH you can play, assuming you don't have any of the other platforms that MHW is going to be on?

Oh, I'm getting XX. I can read Japanese just fine. My friends, on the other hand, are a harder sell. So I'll be playing with randoms the entire time. I also have a PS4, so it's not like I have a 300+ dollar paywall making me angry about it. I just don't think anything in any of the World footage I've seen has looked good. That's really all there is to it. I didn't care for Hunter Arts or Styles that much either, to be honest. I rolled Guild a lot, especially when playing solo and usually just actively ignored or forgot about my specials.

Developers attempting to pander towards what they think gamers want is rarely a smart option to take. I'd imagine, purely on the grounds of World being PS4 exclusive, that it won't sell worth a poo poo in Japan since portability is a big plus there. It might do better overseas, in fact. But being dead silent in regards to Double Cross is baffling to me. Sure they want their next big thing to be all the rage. They want it to have positive publicity. They want to bring in new players or even players who tried MH but didn't like some aspects of it. But in doing that, they've alienated a lot of players who were caught offguard by the complete silence regarding XX. With the Switch version having been announced prior to E3, people figured we'd get news about that and whatever 'Monster Hunter World' was. Then E3 came and went. Sony got their announcement. Nintendo got that side game that didn't sell for poo poo.

But the 3DS/Switch versions of MHXX? Nothing. The only comment we got that's kept any kind of hope alive was Capcom strangely choosing to clarify a news story that said they weren't localizing MHXX by stating they had 'no plans at that time.' If they wanted to draw attention away from Double Cross, why even comment on the story at all? If it wasn't them quietly stating that MHXX would eventually get translated, then why on earth would they bring attention to the article? This was during what I'd guess was the peak outrage and fallout, too. They basically lit a fire then stood on top of it before dumping out some gasoline.

tl;dr: What it all comes down to is personal preference. I just don't like how World looks or seems to play. And even if I did, I'd want a MonHun to tide me over until World came out. With no conflict of system or release windows, combined with radio silence from Capcom, people are just frustrated at the state of the franchise. In a perfect world, localized MHXX comes out before the end of the year, MH World comes out next year, and everyone gets to play and enjoy both. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I'll happily eat my words and take my ban at the first sight of news, though. Everyone should get some incarnation of Monster Hunter.

Except people with Xbox Ones. They picked incorrectly this gen. Screw those guys.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

Nintendo got that side game that didn't sell for poo poo.

actually nintendo didn't get double cross

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I can't really claim to know a lot about game marketing but Bethesda similarly tiptoes around the next Elder Scrolls game that's "years overdue" but I'm pretty sure we all know they don't want to cannibalize sales of the seemingly immortal Skyrim and TES:O.

I can't say I'm surprised we get no news of XX and just the usual corporate trite. Releasing it near the window of World isn't something I'd imagine they'd do, and any definitive announcement regarding XX's western release would be better saved for E3 or something later, after World is out, right?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
"God I hate that they're completely silent about XX and they didn't say anything about it"
Actually they said they have no plans to localize it now
"Ugh why did they say something about it instead of saying nothing"

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
World is their attempt to bring in more non-MH fans, why would they sully it with XX.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

moush posted:

World is their attempt to bring in more non-MH fans, why would they sully it with XX.

As someone :corsair: who was originally a naysayer about OG MHX and styles, I think of World as a return to mainline form. MHXX would be a great thing to have localized, too, of course! in general please just support Capcom in these trying times holy poo poo

Discussion about the differences between xx and World remind me exactly about the same complaints between Freedom Unite and Tri. Examples: "gross and different aesthetics" "removal/lack of interesting content" "casualification of gameplay"

I'm pretty sure Tri and the rest of its (3rd) gen worked out just fine in the big picture. I'm sorry that people playing online will flock to a game in the series that you don't hold as much excitement/nostalgia for if you do not hold this opinion

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I will miss adept longsword, but styles and arts going away isn't going to bother me other than that. It kinda looks like they cherry picked the best stuff from them and made them baseline things anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I will miss adept longsword, but styles and arts going away isn't going to bother me other than that. It kinda looks like they cherry picked the best stuff from them and made them baseline things anyway.

Yeah, this is what I'm seeing too. Some weapons are getting fancy dodge/counter moves, the glaive still has its spinning aerial attack (hopefully it'll get the long vault too, though I suppose the air dashes make not having it not too bad; it was nice, though), lots of people are getting jumping attacks, etc.

• Locked thread