Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

torgeaux posted:

When I'm having problems, I exaggerate the motion a bit, and it's probably a good way to get started. Assuming right handed golfer, think of your downswing as your right hand pulling down a window shade.

Kameh: as an actual old, let me give you a piece of advice from long golf trips...36 holes two or three days out of a 4 or 5 day trip: hot bath, or a long, long hot shower as soon as possible after the golf, and a long hot shower before golf the next day, along with big doses of Motrin. My aging body can take it for a week, gently caress my liver.

This but bourbon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bilirubin posted:

This but bourbon

Bourbon is an acceptable substitute for any single piece. Don't try to use it for all of it.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
It is so oppressively hot and muggy right now, I can't believe I even came out to play. I just went par, double, double, bogey, then hit three consecutive tee shots out of bounds. Walked directly from tee box #5 to the clubhouse and I am now drinking. HATE. HATE. HATE.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I hit a large bucket of nothing but wedge practice yesterday and it took me until the last 10 balls to realize I needed to place my ball about 1 ball distance to the left of center to start hitting divots and consistently getting the ball high and in the air. When I did I hit my last 7 on the money and felt like a big idiot for wasting 100 shots prior on something so simple to fix. I also tore a blister on my thumb open :(

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Looks like the Seniors got the real Open weather. Conditions are brutal.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just picked up a mizuno MP Fli HI 3 iron.

Excited to get it on the course, I was carrying it 220-225 in the simulator, which was pretty accurate based off of some 6 irons I hit there too.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

Summit posted:

Hopefully you got these numbers in a bay with a GC2 in it. The Golf Galaxy near me has two fake simulator bays that give hilariously optimistic numbers. I can hit 7 irons 190 yards dead straight all day long in those.

Same. I work right next door to a Golf Galaxy and I go in there occasionally and hit balls into the simulator. I hit 200 yard 7 irons all day. It says the club head speed is in the low 90's. Wish it were true!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Got a new shaft (Project HZRDUS Red) for my F6+, and I told the guy at Dick's Sporting Goods (I know, I know) to set it at a certain loft and graphics down on the shaft. Picked up one of the new Golf Pride Multi Compound Align grips with a ridge that runs along the bottom in in your fingers. Felt neat.

Was going to leave the entire club there, but the guy asked me why I even had to leave the driver head with him. Figuring he knew what he was doing, I just left the shaft. Picked it up later that day, and they warned me not to even put it together until 24 hours later so the epoxy had time to cure. When I finally put it together, turns out he installed everything upside down because he didn't check how it fit into the driver head. So, graphics up, and the weird grip ridge is on top of the grip instead of in my hand as it should be.

We'll see how it feels in 2 hours on the course, I guess. :confused:

Kameh fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 30, 2017

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Totally sucks, but not surprising. I won't buy clubs in a big box store. The employees don't know anything. I won't even have my clubs regripped at a Golf Galaxy or a similar store.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I love my F6, I think I need to get my swing speed for my woods remeasured though because the stock stiff shaft on it has more whip to it than I think it should. Almost seems like it's below stiff but stiffer than regular. I'm carrying the ball 275-300 now that my swings been fixed up so I'm wondering if I might need some different shafts if I'm swinging faster than when I got fitted a couple years ago. I also bought my F6 at Dick's but that's as far as I would go for golf services from a box store, my city has an independent golf repair shop with a really good owner that I've gone to for all my repair needs.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Two-parter:

-- Can clubs be modified after purchase, based on a swing analysis? What can be changed? What clubs can/can not be altered?

-- I don't yet have a consistent swing. Probably. I don't know. Should I bother? Two years in, I'm constantly working on my swing still.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

So I shot 73-77 this weekend in my club championship which actually won it somehow. There are a couple pretty big asterisks though... the defending champ (who has won it four of the last five years) was out of town and couldn't defend his title, and he probably would have beat me by ten strokes. And secondly, my buddy who ended up taking second place took a two stroke penalty for playing my ball from the fairway on a par four, and I ended up beating him by one shot. He's a better player than me but his head was out of it today due to a variety of things and he should have won it anyways.

Turn out was pretty low since it had been rescheduled from a few weeks ago but still... I'm a club champion. I don't feel like one lol. It was a good time though and I'm glad I cut my camping trip short to come home for it!

Lincoln posted:

Two-parter:

-- Can clubs be modified after purchase, based on a swing analysis? What can be changed? What clubs can/can not be altered?

-- I don't yet have a consistent swing. Probably. I don't know. Should I bother? Two years in, I'm constantly working on my swing still.

You can shorten clubs pretty easily, lengthening is possible too but not as straight forward.
Loft can be adjusted by a couple degrees usually, depending on the type of steel you're dealing with. Same with lie angle.
Swing weight is easy to tweak with lead tape or by other methods.

If you think you're still figuring things out with your swing, I wouldn't alter clubs unless you are getting lessons from a well respected teacher and they are very confident it will make a big difference for you.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 30, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Played a not so great round today. Hit everything of the Toe of the driver. I was thinking that I need to head to the range to do one of those drills where you setup Tees next to the ball to make it so I have to reach farther.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

Played a not so great round today. Hit everything of the Toe of the driver. I was thinking that I need to head to the range to do one of those drills where you setup Tees next to the ball to make it so I have to reach farther.
Assuming you're in a comfortable position at address and address the ball in the center of the club, toeing the ball is usually due to coming up and out of your posture. It can also be exacerbated by casting.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Josh Lyman posted:

Assuming you're in a comfortable position at address and address the ball in the center of the club, toeing the ball is usually due to coming up and out of your posture. It can also be exacerbated by casting.

Right on.

Hit the range and focus on staying down through the swing and rotating through impact to a full finish, duder.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scotland happens again next week. Oh man :f5:

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Homestar Runner posted:

Right on.

focus on staying down through the swing and rotating through impact to a full finish, duder.

I would totally take lessons from a goon golf coach if this is how it went :)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
0930 tee time tomorrow means no range before the round. My F7 irons arrived today, so i figured, hit a bucket, get a feel...today was their "mat" day on the range, so almost zero value. I'm going to play for no distance change and see how it plays out. They do feel sweet though.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
^^^ Are the F7's the one length irons? I'd love to hit them to see what they are all about.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

0930 tee time tomorrow means no range before the round. My F7 irons arrived today, so i figured, hit a bucket, get a feel...today was their "mat" day on the range, so almost zero value. I'm going to play for no distance change and see how it plays out. They do feel sweet though.

Why no range time?

Guys I play with like getting out early. This past Sat was a 7:20 tee time, 45 minute drive to the course and I try and get to the course at least 30-45 minutes early for range time. Makes for an early as gently caress day, but I'm done by noon and still have the rest of my day. Plus with the weather here in central florida means we also miss the afternoon rain.

This Sat is another 7:30 tee time but an hour drive ugh

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Seymour Butts posted:

^^^ Are the F7's the one length irons? I'd love to hit them to see what they are all about.

They make a one length set, this isn't...I'm not interested in giving up the benefits of longer shafts.

As for why, I can pull into the parking lot at 9:15, with paying and the fact they want you at the starter 10 minutes before your tee time, and viola.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Big shout out to 3balls.com

Needed a new hybrid so figured I'd get the matching M1 rescue to my 3 wood I just got.

They had a deal last week for 30% off all hybrids and then there was another 10% off all hybrids. Original price was $180 and wound up paying $114 for this one categorized as very good condition.

http://imgur.com/a/CIMqK

Club looks like it's been hardly used at all! Looks good in the bag next to big brother too!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Homestar Runner posted:

Right on.

Hit the range and focus on staying down through the swing and rotating through impact to a full finish, duder.

While this advice wasn't directed specifically at me, it helped a lot with my tee shots. I only had one out of five tee shots on the par 3's of this course be more than a foot off the green. And the one that missed was a beautiful fade that was coming back directly to the pin until a tree got in the way.

Then spent the rest of the day three putting. :suicide:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sataere posted:

While this advice wasn't directed specifically at me, it helped a lot with my tee shots. I only had one out of five tee shots on the par 3's of this course be more than a foot off the green. And the one that missed was a beautiful fade that was coming back directly to the pin until a tree got in the way.

Then spent the rest of the day three putting. :suicide:

Yea it helped me a bit too.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

They make a one length set, this isn't...I'm not interested in giving up the benefits of longer shafts.

As for why, I can pull into the parking lot at 9:15, with paying and the fact they want you at the starter 10 minutes before your tee time, and viola.

I bought new irons that are going straight in the bag and can't be bothered to show up early for my 930 tee time.

You realize you're the problem in your golf game, right?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Sometimes it's the little things. I'm 38 years old and dreading 40. I won the long drive hole tonight in our scramble group with a 319 yard bomb, beating an in shape 25 year old by about 5 feet :smug:

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The well honed technique of using gut inertia as leverage.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sarehu posted:

The well honed technique of using gut inertia as leverage.
As Tony Gwynn used to say, power comes from the rear end.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

As Tony Gwynn used to say, power comes from the rear end.

And everyone made fun of Tiger for saying he couldn't activate his glutes.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Sataere posted:

While this advice wasn't directed specifically at me, it helped a lot with my tee shots.

daslog posted:

Yea it helped me a bit too.

Great! It's awesome that you're both already seeing some positive results, keep it going :)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

I bought new irons that are going straight in the bag and can't be bothered to show up early for my 930 tee time.

You realize you're the problem in your golf game, right?

Hey, look, an rear end.

Let's make it simple for prick boy: Drop son off at camp, 9am. 14 minutes to course. Book tee times, normally 945 to 1000, but choice today was 930 or 1130 (4:40 round means late to pick up son, so 930 or nothing). Email on Monday, new sticks in. Hit the range with new clubs, matts only.

So, could take old clubs out, or hit new clubs without range time. Easy choice. But, hey feel free to diagnose my game, asshat.

Oh, and you realize that we are the problem in all our golf games, right?

New clubs were nice, half club longer, less penalty on the miss hits. Lack of range more of an issue off the tee. The cobras have a really pretty profile on the ball.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 2, 2017

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Huh. Did not expect to see an argument in the golf thread.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Hey, look, an rear end.

Let's make it simple for prick boy: Drop son off at camp, 9am. 14 minutes to course. Book tee times, normally 945 to 1000, but choice today was 930 or 1130 (4:40 round means late to pick up son, so 930 or nothing). Email on Monday, new sticks in. Hit the range with new clubs, matts only.

So, could take old clubs out, or hit new clubs without range time. Easy choice. But, hey feel free to diagnose my game, asshat.

Oh, and you realize that we are the problem in all our golf games, right?

Aren't we a salty oval office. You could always have put some context in your post so you don't look like a lazy prick who can't be bothered to get out of bed before 9:30 or you could have a nice little meltdown about it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

Aren't we a salty oval office. You could always have put some context in your post so you don't look like a lazy prick who can't be bothered to get out of bed before 9:30 or you could have a nice little meltdown about it.

Nope. Not gonna. Suffice to say, I had answered earlier that I couldn't be at the course before 9:15 And leave it there.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 2, 2017

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Can't we all just be friends?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

Can't we all just be friends?

No, but I can not rise to the bait. Sorry. I'll just ignore him instead. Don't want to let GBS crap leak into golf.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo both of you give it a rest

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hey, let's talk about this week's Women's British Open :v:

Or how there's no way I'm driving 4 hours to the PGA Championship next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Hey, let's talk about this week's Women's British Open :v:

Or how there's no way I'm driving 4 hours to the PGA Championship next week.

Lyman, do you follow the Korean LPGA?

The Explore algorithm of my Instagram seems to think I'm super interested in following KLPGA pros. They look more like models than your traditional professional golfers, though they all have super money swings. I just have never heard of this tour or the ladies on it.