Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I'm using a Mac Mini 2012 and 4k HEVC content is unplayable; just a stuttery mess. As in like 2fps level slow. Is this normal? I fully expect it to thrash the CPU hard but I've played 4k video on windows laptops with weaker specs than this and not had too much of a problem, even if they did get a bit loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

I'm using a Mac Mini 2012 and 4k HEVC content is unplayable; just a stuttery mess. As in like 2fps level slow. Is this normal? I fully expect it to thrash the CPU hard but I've played 4k video on windows laptops with weaker specs than this and not had too much of a problem, even if they did get a bit loud.

4k HEVC requires hardware decoding on any system that doesn't have a beefy CPU. All modern Intel CPUs, even the low-end Atoms and Celerons have this integrated.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hope not everyone jumps to HEVC immediately as it's going to force users to check their hardware.

High Sierra only claims hardware accelerated HEVC on 2016 model Macs and I *think* there's the same on fourth gen AppleTV and iPhoneys 6 and up, but everything else is out in the cold / software assisted.

Netflix HTML5 is very nice at least..

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
No gods, no ports, no h264.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Isn't HEVC sort of stillborn due to weird patent shenanigans?

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
-

fivehead fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 13, 2021

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
HEVC came to FaceTime in 2014 with the iPhone 6. FaceTime will detect if both ends support HEVC and use it when possible.

eames
May 9, 2009

Come iOS11 iPhones will even save Photos in HEVC instead of JPEG.

The standard is called High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF), I wonder if that will lead to hardware decoding for images? Would be nice for scrolling through thousands of pictures in Photos for Sierra. :iiam:

More info here: https://nokiatech.github.io/heif/comparison.html

eames fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 30, 2017

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Comparing the 2017 MacBook to the 2015 and 2016, it looks like the same design - are the 2016 and 2017 models just spec bumps (newer CPU, .etc)?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Small White Dragon posted:

Comparing the 2017 MacBook to the 2015 and 2016, it looks like the same design - are the 2016 and 2017 models just spec bumps (newer CPU, .etc)?

wikipedia says yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_(Retina)

Even worse it's a spec bumped mCore which as far as I can tell is just a really expensive pentium.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

I'm pretty sure they tweaked the keyboard as well. For what it's worth the reviews on both the 2016 and 2017 macbook have commented that the spec bump on the cpu is a pretty substantial one. The original CPUs on the 2015 model were really anaemic. I wouldn't be buying a new macbook if you already have one but if the purpose of your post was to contemplate whether to buy a previous gen model to save money I definitely wouldn't.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm pretty sure they tweaked the keyboard as well.

This is enough to upgrade.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The keyboard on the 2016-2017 models really is nice but it's clicky so if that's a turnoff...

Also it's thinner and the apple no longer lights up (it's chrome now) and at least the 15" only has USB-c ports. No regular USB ports, card slot, or mag-safe. And the track-pad is the size of a football field.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 31, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MacBook, not MacBook Pro.

It absolutely DOES make sense to get a 2015 MacBook Pro, if you want ports, MagSafe and an SD card slot.

It doesn't make much sense to buy a 2015 MacBook.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bob Morales posted:

This is enough to upgrade.
What's changed? I came across a 2016 MacBook, and it looks like the same keyboard used in the current MBPs (sans touch bar, of course).

I found some comparative pictures of the 2016 and 2017 MacBooks, but the keyboards pretty much look the same to me?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What's changed? I came across a 2016 MacBook, and it looks like the same keyboard used in the current MBPs (sans touch bar, of course).

I found some comparative pictures of the 2016 and 2017 MacBooks, but the keyboards pretty much look the same to me?

The 2017 MacBooks use the second generation switches with longer travel. The MBP has this same keyboard as well. They visually look the same because the changes are underneath.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/07/that-new-keyboard-is-the-key-to-apples-macbook-update/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

2nd generation butterfly switches/domes

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Appreciate all the feedback, everybody. Two other random things:
1) Do MacBooks/MBPs these days still have that problem where, after a while, there are "marks" on the screen where the edges of the keys presumably press up against them? Any way to prevent that?
2) What's the favorite USB-C dongle/dock to connect to, well, most everything?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

1) Do MacBooks/MBPs these days still have that problem where, after a while, there are "marks" on the screen where the edges of the keys presumably press up against them? Any way to prevent that?

My MBA had that issue but 2016 tbMBP hasn't yet, and I was more concerned because the screen is insanely thin.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nah, I have a 2016 15" rMBP and no marks at all.

For USB-C stuff I got this:

Replaced the power cable with this, because I like braided cords (Anker):
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerLine-Durability-Including-Nintendo/dp/B01LNA0XCU

Get a couple of these for thumb drives and stuff (Anker):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AHKYIRS

I got this USBC to USB mini B for my Samsung T1 SSD drive (Cable Creations)
https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-USB-C-Micro-B-Macbook-Chromebook/dp/B012V56992

I got this along with a MacBook for my nephews graduation. I also got work to buy one for me. Highly recommend if you are getting a MacBook. Nice if you want to use a monitor with the rMBP (Anker)
(USB C power in, 2 USB 3.0, 4KHDMI, SD reader, GigE ethernet port)
https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Anker-Mini-Dock-Ethernet-Chromebook/dp/B072F2M874

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 1, 2017

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So that USB-C cable works to power a MBP? Because that’s surprisingly cheap and not even a lovely knock off brand.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

So that USB-C cable works to power a MBP? Because that’s surprisingly cheap and not even a lovely knock off brand.

Well it just replaces the cable that comes with it. You still need to plug it into the power brick, but yeah I just like the way it looks and it doesn't get near as grimy from tossing it in a bag every day.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I recalled Switch owners paying $60 for just the Apple USB-C cable because everything else was hot garbage. So I was surprised they’d come down in price (assuming Anker isn’t cheaping out on quality).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

I recalled Switch owners paying $60 for just the Apple USB-C cable because everything else was hot garbage. So I was surprised they’d come down in price (assuming Anker isn’t cheaping out on quality).

Are you sure it's not because you can only get the cable with a power supply? I just checked the online and it's not available as a stand-alone cable.

However, I did some digging and it appears that the Anker 2m cable (USBC<>USBC) is a use at your own risk for the 15". It looks like it's only rated for 60w. So while it will work fine for the rMB and the 13" rMBPs, it's not recommended for the 87w brick the 15" comes with. I mean mine demonstrably worked, but I'm using it far out of spec. It's annoying, but I'm glad I thought to look into it more because the last thing I want to do is burn down the house pushing too much power over it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Are you sure it's not because you can only get the cable with a power supply? I just checked the online and it's not available as a stand-alone cable.
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLL82AM/A/usb-c-charge-cable-2-m

?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Well, what the hell. I did store>Accessories>Made by Apple>Cables and it didn't come up.

Fake Edit: For fucks sake it's under "chargers"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That is odd. I could have sworn the cable alone was $60 at Apple.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Proteus Jones posted:

However, I did some digging and it appears that the Anker 2m cable (USBC<>USBC) is a use at your own risk for the 15". It looks like it's only rated for 60w. So while it will work fine for the rMB and the 13" rMBPs, it's not recommended for the 87w brick the 15" comes with. I mean mine demonstrably worked, but I'm using it far out of spec. It's annoying, but I'm glad I thought to look into it more because the last thing I want to do is burn down the house pushing too much power over it.

USC power delivery is meant to be smart and negotiate so it should work safely, just charge more slowly.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Proteus Jones posted:

Replaced the power cable with this, because I like braided cords (Anker):
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerLine-Durability-Including-Nintendo/dp/B01LNA0XCU
gently caress yes I need this

edit: website says the cable won't charge MacBook Pro 87W at full speed https://www.anker.com/products/variant/PowerLine%2B-3ft-USB-C-to-USB-C-2.0-/A8187091

edit: gently caress, beaten.

Housh fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 1, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Before I click buy, I thought I would ask here.

My mid 2009 17" MacBook pro died. Like won't turn on anymore, it takes maybe 100 presses of the power button to get lucky and have it boot. When it does it doesn't stay running long. I have tried putting the mainboard in the oven and it helped for about 6 months, but at this point I am going to grab the SSD out of it and call it a loss.

I was thinking that a 27" imac retina would be a good fit since I have a PC laptop I can use when needed. Overall I have been happy with the 8 years I have gotten out of the MBP.

My question is what upgrades are worth it on the new imac? I selected the i7 processor/radeon pro 580. Apple still wants big bucks for extra ram and a cursory glance on amazon suggests I can diy cheaper provided its not soldered on. Is the hard drive upgradeable or is it all soldered on? Apple seems to want a premium for a ssd, so I am leaning towards the 2TB fusion drive.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

rdb posted:

My mid 2009 17" MacBook pro died. Like won't turn on anymore, it takes maybe 100 presses of the power button to get lucky and have it boot. When it does it doesn't stay running long. I have tried putting the mainboard in the oven and it helped for about 6 months, but at this point I am going to grab the SSD out of it and call it a loss.

I was thinking that a 27" imac retina would be a good fit since I have a PC laptop I can use when needed. Overall I have been happy with the 8 years I have gotten out of the MBP.

My question is what upgrades are worth it on the new imac? I selected the i7 processor/radeon pro 580. Apple still wants big bucks for extra ram and a cursory glance on amazon suggests I can diy cheaper provided its not soldered on. Is the hard drive upgradeable or is it all soldered on? Apple seems to want a premium for a ssd, so I am leaning towards the 2TB fusion drive.

Ram is easy, it's just an access door on the back. You can do it yourself.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+RAM+Replacement/30533

HDD/SSD is another can of worms. Either one will need to have the glass removed and that means breaking the adhesive seal.

If you wanna swap the HDD, it's located on the side of the mainboard and is easily accessible once you get the glass off.

If you wanna swap the SSD though, it's located on the back of the mainboard. You will need to remove nearly all the components to swap it out (and it's not a standard M.2 drive anyways)

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+Retina+5K+Display+SSD+Replacement/30537

If you want SSD, either get it built in or buy the HDD version and swap with another SATA SSD.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Whether you choose to do it yourself or buy the upgrade from apple, I wouldn't suggest anyone buy a computer without an SSD in 2017, it's the most substantial all round noticeable upgrade you can make. It's worth pointing out that the SSDs apple uses are the very best, many cheaper SSDs are poo poo and you have to do your research.

The RAM you can upgrade yourself very easily and cheaply if you want to, but most people don't need more than 8gb of RAM, unless they're video editing, or doing serious intensive work on the computer - If you're just going to be surfing the web and watching netflix and doing office stuff it's a waste of money. Same goes for the i7.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Thanks. I am going to go with the 2TB Fusion, I cant justify what they want for a SSD if I can eventually swap the 3.5" part of the drive myself. Or just use a really fast external drive. Heres to hoping it lasts a decade this time around.

E: The I7 was $180 over the I5. Not going to lose sleep over that. The fusion drive, from what I gather, is a 128gb SSD on the mainboard for the OS and a separate spinning drive for the rest. Should be good enough. I usually go for the upgraded stuff because I use it for so long. My previous (to the one that is dead now) macbook pro core duo lasted me 4 years and my mother kept it another 6. It still ran when she traded it in.

As far as what I do with it, photo editing, maybe editing videos of my kid. Its mostly that I have time machine backups going back years that keep me on the mac platform. I have an apple tv for netflix and an iphone for browsing.

rdb fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 1, 2017

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

rdb posted:

What will you use it for?

Whatever the case may be get an SSD.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

rdb posted:

Thanks. I am going to go with the 2TB Fusion, I cant justify what they want for a SSD if I can eventually swap the 3.5" part of the drive myself. Or just use a really fast external drive. Heres to hoping it lasts a decade this time around.

E: The I7 was $180 over the I5. Not going to lose sleep over that. The fusion drive, from what I gather, is a 128gb SSD on the mainboard for the OS and a separate spinning drive for the rest. Should be good enough. I usually go for the upgraded stuff because I use it for so long. My previous (to the one that is dead now) macbook pro core duo lasted me 4 years and my mother kept it another 6. It still ran when she traded it in.

As far as what I do with it, photo editing, maybe editing videos of my kid. Its mostly that I have time machine backups going back years that keep me on the mac platform. I have an apple tv for netflix and an iphone for browsing.

People on here hate on the fusion drive often. I have the 2tb one ano think the machine runs great. Best computer I've ever owned

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
My issue is they want $600 for a 1TB SSD over the base 2TB fusion drive. If it annoys me I am confident enough that I can open it up and change it myself for less.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

rdb posted:

Thanks. I am going to go with the 2TB Fusion, I cant justify what they want for a SSD if I can eventually swap the 3.5" part of the drive myself..

..E: The I7 was $180 over the I5. Not going to lose sleep over that. The fusion drive, from what I gather, is a 128gb SSD on the mainboard for the OS and a separate spinning drive for the rest.

Couple of things to mention here:

Apple's current policy is to stick you with a 24/32 GB SSD if you order only a 1 TB Fusion Drive.

If you order a 2 TB or bigger, they give you a 128 GB SSD.

Note that if you order an iMac with 24/32 GB or higher RAM, slowdown will occur because when the iMac goes to sleep, the OS will try to save a RAM image that's as big as your RAM space, so you overflow the SSD and hit the physical drive; wakeups might be slower because the RAM image will be saved to the physical drive rather than the SSD.

tl;dr: If you want a Fusion Drive just order the 2 TB if you want to save yourself any hassles. The lovely part is they used to give you a 256 GB SSD on any Fusion Drive, but guess that's just Apple trying to pinch pennies again.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 1, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you want to keep your existing SSD drive too, you can stick it in a Thunderbolt external case and get decent speeds off it. No point it going to waste.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

tl;dr: If you want a Fusion Drive just order the 2 TB if you want to save yourself any hassles. The lovely part is they used to give you a 256 GB SSD on any Fusion Drive, but guess that's just Apple trying to pinch pennies again.

I'm pretty sure the SSD portion of the Fusion Drive has never been larger than 128 GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Weedle posted:

I'm pretty sure the SSD portion of the Fusion Drive has never been larger than 128 GB.

I stand corrected

Either way if you want to future proof your iMac get the 2 TB+ option