Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ironically the best word to use for that is engineer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:supaburn: that's not ironic! :supaburn:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

i sent this link to Peter Watts a number of months ago bc it's exactly like one of the things in one of his books, and he always has these afterwords where he cites the current-day sources that lead to all the future stuff he comes up with, and comments on which things from his previous books he got right or wrong

he never replied though :(

:(

my favourite is when he cites things that already happened that he didn't know about at the time lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

:supaburn: that's not ironic! :supaburn:

its just coincidental! 🤖

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

i also use words in ways that are technically incorrect but still perfectly understood by everyone who is not an engineer.

specifically to troll engineers, because whoo boy does it ever work. like, 100% success rate.

see also: fabricating a statistic for rhetorical effect

its one of my favorite pastimes and the +2 modifier from being a designer usually makes it fatal

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

smart speakers are extra stupid because the duty cycle of an average speaker is measured in decades and the "smart" part is usually obsolete in months

between the echo/goog home and bluetooth speakers I guess people like listening to their 2" paper cones though, idgi but I'm not the target market I guess

bluetooth speakers are a neat convenience though, and a lot of them are very decent (got my sister the ca minx go for christmas a number of years back, and have been continuously impressed with the thing)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cambridge audio is a legit good company and those bmr tweeters are pretty amazing for what they are

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvK4l-nvWwI

between this and the Cyberpunk 2017 game by the Witcher III team it looks like a good time for neon and rain.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvK4l-nvWwI

between this and the Cyberpunk 2017 game by the Witcher III team it looks like a good time for neon and rain.

mutha fukking rutger hauer

also, this has a cool style to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pupdeq1MoVw

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

this seems familiar and I don't know why :ohdear:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

quote:

The startup Neurable thinks its brain-computer interface will be fast and accurate enough for playing games in VR.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I'm the ear clip.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

don't dox subjunctive

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

What do the sensors actually do, though? Any whitepapers on this kind of gimmick tech?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mutha fukking rutger hauer

also, this has a cool style to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pupdeq1MoVw

might wanna read up a little more on this one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stymie posted:

might wanna read up a little more on this one

i know the history of the developer. i can still appreciate the art style and the use of music in the trailer

i'm not actually going to pay him for it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

SpaceAceJase posted:

What do the sensors actually do, though? Any whitepapers on this kind of gimmick tech?

they literally read brain waves.

which is next to useless afaik

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

thanks for the reminder that the ocz nia came out in 2007

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SpaceAceJase posted:

they measure tiny electrical currents in your brain.

it's comparable in functionality and accuracy to, say, a thing that sits on the edge of a lake and measures the waves and tells you what kind of fish are swimming by.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sagebrush posted:

they measure tiny electrical currents in your brain.

it's comparable in functionality and accuracy to, say, a thing that sits on the edge of a lake and measures the waves and tells you what kind of fish are swimming by.

did you mean tells you a fish is swimming by..? Unless they've made a quantum leap in tech they're still at the 'detect a signal' stage but have only a faint blur of 'decipher a signal'

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's not really for mind reading; those things are more about people learning to produce the signals that make the device do what they want it to do, regardless of the actual thought

they'll sell it as a mind reader though

also, if only people came with some type of manipulators tied to their brains, maybe we could call them mindfingers or something

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NoneMoreNegative posted:

did you mean tells you a fish is swimming by..? Unless they've made a quantum leap in tech they're still at the 'detect a signal' stage but have only a faint blur of 'decipher a signal'

no, i mean it's as effective as a device that sits on the edge of the lake and purports to tell you what kind of fish are swimming by.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

i know the history of the developer. i can still appreciate the art style and the use of music in the trailer

i'm not actually going to pay him for it

I'll wait for the inevitable steam sale since it'll probably be like 3 hours long and still cost $25+

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

ah, the superhot strategy

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

no, i mean it's as effective as a device that sits on the edge of the lake and purports to tell you what kind of fish are swimming by.

I suppose if it can roughly tell the difference between sizes ("big fish" "small fish" "medium fish") and has a good data source of local fish size and species distribution it could probably get fairly accurate?

And now I'm thinking about fish and trying to remember the MECC video game that had you start off as a little fish and you were presented with various theats/foods. You had to decide if you were going to eat, ignore, escape deep, or escape shallow (ignore was only a real strategy late game when you were big and the nutritional content vs. cost to catch for some of the early game plant food types was out of sync).

EDIT: Odell Lake

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 1, 2017

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
cogsci nerds are pretty quick to assume that their tools' measurements are somehow noumenal even though the entire field of science has an axiomatic bias against observing dasein

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

George posted:

cogsci nerds are pretty quick to assume that their tools' measurements are somehow noumenal even though the entire field of science has an axiomatic bias against observing dasein

i don't understand these words

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

CommunistPancake posted:

start here, then hit yourself in the head with a mallet until it makes sense

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CommunistPancake posted:

i assume theyre anime terms like 'tsundere' and 'moe'

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
going on a wikipedia binge with "cognitive science" as your starting point is pretty cyberpunk quick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holonomic_brain_theory

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

a physical copy of sein und zeit is hefty enough I've found

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

FMguru posted:

i assume theyre anime terms like 'tsundere' and 'moe'

anime is merely the most dystopian form of cyberpunk anyways

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004