Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Data Graham posted:

It didn't help that there were people out there who were actually trying to agitate against widescreen/letterboxing and even HDTV in general because it was "cheating the customer" by cutting off parts of the screen.

Can't believe some of the sites from that whole skirmish are still up: http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ussdefiant/rebuttal.html

"Lettershlocking" :jerkbag:

No way. That's gotta be a troll.

Poe's law. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

azurite posted:

No way. That's gotta be a troll.

Poe's law. :shrug:

He kept it up for a long time, and was awfully dedicated to his craft if so. He would come into Usenet newsgroups for particular movies or shows and post his diatribes about letterboxing and get into long drawn-out arguments with people. It went on for years.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Data Graham posted:

It didn't help that there were people out there who were actually trying to agitate against widescreen/letterboxing and even HDTV in general because it was "cheating the customer" by cutting off parts of the screen.
I was 100% onboard the anti-widescreen train. And do not get me wrong, I understand the other side completely in hindsight...but, like. O.K. Here you are, it is 1995, and you have rear end in a top hat cinephiles coming over to my house and demanding we watch their widescreen laserdiscs on my 19" color television. As if it is not already hard enough to see the picture, now you want to make it even smaller? But of course their dogmatic devotion to the concept was such that they were not even able to acknowledge that some times and places were perhaps inappropriate for what was otherwise clearly the better choice; I mean, now that everyone's monitors are wide instead of tall, GREAT! Why would you argue with it? But at the time...still not sold in hindsight.

(And I am 100% sure that guy was not trolling, but was probably deeply disturbed in other ways as well)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dr. Quarex posted:

I was 100% onboard the anti-widescreen train. And do not get me wrong, I understand the other side completely in hindsight...but, like. O.K. Here you are, it is 1995, and you have rear end in a top hat cinephiles coming over to my house and demanding we watch their widescreen laserdiscs on my 19" color television. As if it is not already hard enough to see the picture, now you want to make it even smaller? But of course their dogmatic devotion to the concept was such that they were not even able to acknowledge that some times and places were perhaps inappropriate for what was otherwise clearly the better choice; I mean, now that everyone's monitors are wide instead of tall, GREAT! Why would you argue with it? But at the time...still not sold in hindsight.

(And I am 100% sure that guy was not trolling, but was probably deeply disturbed in other ways as well)

Maybe you should have just gotten a better TV then :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dr. Quarex posted:

What I loved though was that he was against HDTV and widescreen TVs because they were capitulating and/or "forcing" the industry to accept letterboxing. Like calling for boycotts against companies that produce widescreen TVs. I could understand his position as being basically what you said right up until that point.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Maybe you should have just gotten a better TV then :colbert:

That 20" TV cost grandpa a lot when he bought it back in '75.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Data Graham posted:

I still remember seeing the first flat panel plasma big screen TVs on display in Fry's. $15,999

Speaking of expensive new TV sets at Fry's Electronics, I saw this a few years back.

"Say, could I interest you in a 4 year company warranty for this TV? That'll be SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS, PLEASE."

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gonz posted:

Speaking of expensive new TV sets at Fry's Electronics, I saw this a few years back.

"Say, could I interest you in a 4 year company warranty for this TV? That'll be SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS, PLEASE."

Someone, somewhere paid this, probably on finance.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Maybe a bit offtopic, maybe not - but either way, this seems like the sort of thing a few of you might enjoy:
(In short, it's about a "why did this need to be on a computer" "game" from the UK 8-bit period, with a surprisingly interesting backstory.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouvi-fwrfIY

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Jul 30, 2017

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Data Graham posted:

"Lettershlocking" :jerkbag:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rembrandttoren posted:

Incidents

On 11 March 2002, an armed man stormed the building and took 18 hostages. He claimed the motive was because of his recently bought widescreen TV that he had bought because of the black bars that would be shown while watching widescreen VHS tapes, these bars would still be shown on a widescreen TV, he claimed that this was misleading. He was especially angry at Philips, which used to have its headquarters in the Rembrandt Tower but had relocated a few months before, in July 2001, to the adjacent Breitner Tower. The man shot himself hours later in the restroom with what was later found to be a pellet gun.[4]

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Non-Widescreen Version Of DVD Received As Hanukkah Gift

Rosenstein holds the inadequate gift.

BROOKLYN, NY—Self-described film buff Tyler Rosenstein was disappointed to receive a non-letterboxed "full screen" version of the movie The Matrix Reloaded as a Hanukkah gift, the 19-year-old reported Monday.

"Great," said Rosenstein, concealing his displeasure from his beaming aunt and uncle, Hannah and Bernie Greenberg, as he gazed at the freshly unwrapped DVD in his hand. "Just what I wanted. The Matrix Reloaded."

"With approximately a third of the movie's visual content missing, thanks to 'pan-and-scan,'" he added under his breath.

http://www.theonion.com/article/non-widescreen-version-of-dvd-received-as-hanukkah-1038

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
With movies that were shot open matte or on Super 35, they're not wrong that widescreen covers up more picture area than full screen.

But the wider framing is what was intended by the director and director of photography, and so sometimes you get things like boom mics and dolly tracks in the shot on full screen.

Kubrick was an exception though, he'd frame for the wider 1.85:1 aspect ratio, but still protect the 4x3 image from things like boom mics and dolly tracks.

please don't start a derail about that helicopter shadow in the shining

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

BROOKLYN, NY—Self-described film buff Tyler Rosenstein was disappointed to receive a non-letterboxed "full screen" version of the movie The Matrix Reloaded as a Hanukkah gift, the 19-year-old reported Monday.

"Great," said Rosenstein, concealing his displeasure from his beaming aunt and uncle, Hannah and Bernie Greenberg, as he gazed at the freshly unwrapped DVD in his hand. "Just what I wanted. The Matrix Reloaded."

"With approximately a third of the movie's visual content missing, thanks to 'pan-and-scan,'" he added under his breath.

http://www.theonion.com/article/non-widescreen-version-of-dvd-received-as-hanukkah-1038

this guy looks like he was photoshopped into the picture or at the very least his head was

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Carrion Luggage posted:

this guy looks like he was photoshopped into the picture or at the very least his head was

It's The Onion.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cojawfee posted:

It's The Onion.

To be fair to that guy, how the gently caress are we supposed to identify satire anymore

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Code Jockey posted:

To be fair to that guy, how the gently caress are we supposed to identify satire anymore

It's The Onion.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
One of my uncles was a tv repairman until I think the late '90s, or whenever CRTs and those projection tvs died out.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

One of my uncles was a tv repairman until I think the late '90s, or whenever CRTs and those projection tvs died out.

It's The Onion.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Relax. My old man is a TV repairman. He's got the ultimate set of tools - I can fix it!

If you get this reference you may be old

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

axolotl farmer posted:

That's a rough 19.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

evobatman posted:

That's a rough 19.

It's the Tomato

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
we almost got sofrito here!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

axolotl farmer posted:

I know this feeling, my mom did this to me for a while until ~2010 because I hadn't gotten a wide screen TV yet. I gave up on attempting to explain it after a while.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Keith Atherton posted:

Relax. My old man is a TV repairman. He's got the ultimate set of tools - I can fix it!

If you get this reference you may be old

Totally awesome!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i bought phantom menace on widescreen vhs to play on my parents projector, which raised the ambient temp in the room about 35 degrees but man oh man that podrace

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was around for most of VHS so I'm not coming from the realm of Youtube videos where KIDS REACT TO 90s TECH LOLZ! but I do find myself mystified as to how we tolerated watching movies on VHS from time to time. Obviously it's because it was the only affordable option at the time, but boy does it look rinky dink in hindsight. I somehow watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time on a 20" CRT, and was fine with it because nobody really knew any better.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

I was around for most of VHS so I'm not coming from the realm of Youtube videos where KIDS REACT TO 90s TECH LOLZ! but I do find myself mystified as to how we tolerated watching movies on VHS from time to time. Obviously it's because it was the only affordable option at the time, but boy does it look rinky dink in hindsight. I somehow watched Lawrence of Arabia for the first time on a 20" CRT, and was fine with it because nobody really knew any better.

Yah, it's kinda weird how primitive things were 20+ years ago. Of course 20 years ago holding the internet in your pocket was Star Trek poo poo

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

Honestly, I still watch old horrors on VHS on a CRT just for the nostalgia. VHS just had this entire aesthetic that makes it timeless for me.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Bad movies in High quality is the poo poo.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Light Gun Man posted:

Bad movies in High quality is the poo poo.

Yeah, I think the nostalgia for VHS is definitely lost on me. I think film is great, and DVD is OK, but VHS is just so bad anymore.

I mean I grew up watching Beetlejuice on VHS, and I got the Blu-ray recently, and drat if there wasn't a shitload of detail lost in that magnetic tape and 480p.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Skoll posted:

Honestly, I still watch old horrors on VHS on a CRT just for the nostalgia. VHS just had this entire aesthetic that makes it timeless for me.
A VHS tape does beat a shoddily put together DVD any day because at least the tape has the potential to be charming.

On the other hand just about all the low budget horror movies that I love have made it to Blu-Ray now. Once they got Highway to Hell I knew that just about anything vaguely worth it would eventually make its wau there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Casimir Radon posted:

Because we didn't realize how bad it was. Unless you went to the movie theater all the time, people just didn't think "this is total garbage, I can't watch this." TVs were smaller, so it wasn't as obvious that VHS was poo poo. And TV shows themselves were mastered on VHS so they came through the air or cable looking like poo poo. We didn't have HD to compare it to. Unless you had movies on film and a projector, it was easier to accept. It's like how a video game would come out and everyone freaks out because the graphics are so realistic and it looks like real life. Then you go back to it years later and it's like 15 polygons on screen at a time.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Cojawfee posted:

Then you go back to it years later and it's like 15 polygons on screen at a time.
This pretty much sums it all up.

All the "LOL HOW DID U WQATCH THSI" people criticizing VHS are going to suddenly recognize their own mortality when their children ask how they could stand to watch 4K movies back in the day. "Hahaha! You can't even walk behind the characters!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Casimir Radon posted:

I was around for most of VHS so I'm not coming from the realm of Youtube videos where KIDS REACT TO 90s TECH LOLZ! but I do find myself mystified as to how we tolerated watching movies on VHS from time to time.
Because before that (or Betamax), the ability to watch something required setting up a reel-to-reel projector? Hell, i dont even know if anything commercial was available on those tiny home projector setups.

Suddenly a large cassette is pretty appealing, ya know.

Also, the revolution of VHS wasnt due it its quality, it was in making film a less ephemeral experience. Oh, missed the latest Disney flick? You can watch it in your hovel. Like it? You can own it and rewatch it tons of times.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Aug 1, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I recorded everything in EP because I had like two tapes that were mine, so the quality of my recorded movies was extra lovely.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
To this day, my mother still calls CDs and DVDs tapes.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Supposedly, and this is likely audiophile nonsense, the 5.1 tracks on laserdiscs sound better than the later DVD and blu-ray releases.

The reasoning is that:
  • The digital tracks on laserdiscs had higher bitrates than DVD (this is actually true outside of a handful of very early DVD releases, however it's not true for blu-ray)
  • Since laserdisc 5.1 mixes could only be used with a surround sound system and cannot automatically downmix to stereo by the player, these surround sound mixes were designed around surround sound. Once DVD came on the scene, its more likely that the same mix was used for both releases.
  • Since these movies were from the early days of digital surround sound in movie theaters, supposedly these laserdisc releases are using the same theatrical mixes. There's no proof that this is true.

I've never heard a 5.1 track off of a laserdisc, but their 2.0 stereo tracks in PCM sounded amazing compared to the Dolby Digital 2.0 tracks on DVD.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

roffels posted:

I've never heard a 5.1 track off of a laserdisc, but their 2.0 stereo tracks in PCM sounded amazing compared to the Dolby Digital 2.0 tracks on DVD.

There were for sure 5.1 dts sound tracks in laserdisc but they came during when the tech had the most popularity.

https://www.lddb.com/list.php?format=ld&list=dts&sort=date,asc

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

And the generation after that will be like "how could these savages deal with only being able to walk behind the characters? you can't even taste their emotions, what a bunch of bullshit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Because before that (or Betamax), the ability to watch something required setting up a reel-to-reel projector? Hell, i dont even know if anything commercial was available on those tiny home projector setups.

Suddenly a large cassette is pretty appealing, ya know.

Also, the revolution of VHS wasnt due it its quality, it was in making film a less ephemeral experience. Oh, missed the latest Disney flick? You can watch it in your hovel. Like it? You can own it and rewatch it tons of times.

You had cut-down "digest" version of major movies available for Super 8 projectors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n86-uNmmLyY