Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Schwartzcough posted:

Damage from guns is calculated very differently from the other weapons, so you can't really compare their weapon power in an apples-to-apples comparison.

I wish the game had told me that, otherwise I might have used guns instead of daggers for Balthier. Maybe. I dunno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
you know, if the world of ruin had been open-world i bet people would like ffxv a lot more. itd certainly help the structure a lot

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I suppose guns are great against enemies with high physical damage reduction but does that also pierce the damage reduction from bosses going into HP critical?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

you know, if the world of ruin had been open-world i bet people would like ffxv a lot more. itd certainly help the structure a lot

It would have helped a lot. I think people would have forgiven some of the wonky pacing if the end result was a payoff like that where you got to see all the characters and world you spent time knowing in the pre-timeskip area and how they changed in the post-timeskip. Instead you don't get to see any of them, not even the character who should rightly be at the one location you visit.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

You see, what sucks about FFXV is that the game isn't completely terrible or anything, it's that it has so much unrealized potential and a lot of genuinely cool ideas that they subsequently do nothing with, like the aforementioned world of ruin. So you wind up with what feels like a half-finished product that could have been so much more.

I thought the story was pretty neat, Noctis was one of the best FF protagonists in a long time, Ardyn was a real magnificent bastard (who had an underwhelming final fight of course), and just how dark the game got towards the end took me by surprise. However the gameplay was on the shallow side (3 spells? Really?), side quests are mostly boring and pointless and the whole affair just seemed rushed. The game just feels like there's so much missing from it.

I liked the game better than XIII because I actually managed to beat it and I have certainly played worse games. Long story short, FF XV is just kind of a mediocre game that has some cool ideas and could be great, but falls short of it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It would have helped a lot. I think people would have forgiven some of the wonky pacing if the end result was a payoff like that where you got to see all the characters and world you spent time knowing in the pre-timeskip area and how they changed in the post-timeskip. Instead you don't get to see any of them, not even the character who should rightly be at the one location you visit.

alternatively, since open worlds are hard, if you started at Caem and traveled all the way to the end and saw stuff on the way that'd also help. As it is the game's third act is like half an hour long

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Raxivace posted:

If you're gonna journey back into The Great Crystal, the maps in this link might be helpful.

I can't remember where I found them online and if anyone happens to know I'll gladly edit the credit to whoever made them back into this post.

I went to do this over the weekend and got frustrated because the old maps I had. None spoke of the "timed" sections

On top of that I kept getting hosed by the bombs in the early stages.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

I kinda hope that an Iris DLC would focus on high level demon bashing in the dark world with a selectable party of all past characters, excluding Noctis.

Varance fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 31, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I wish the game had told me that, otherwise I might have used guns instead of daggers for Balthier. Maybe. I dunno

Eh, you're not missing much.

Basically, the thing with guns is that they don't rely on any stat for damage, they ignore enemy defense (except for specific enemy types, like flans, that resist guns), and they never miss. All of this sounds great, except there are two downsides: they're really slow, and because they don't rely on any stat for damage, they fall off pretty badly in the late-game when your stats get high.

In Weak Mode (where you can't level up), guns are amazing: they don't care about your stats or level, so they're your best source of damage. In normal mode, though, they're lackluster.

It doesn't help that Balthier has a slower animation with guns than anyone else (except Penelo). His animation is fancier, and as a result takes more frames. It's a small difference, but it can add up over the course of a long fight. I think the math is that for every 15 shots other characters shoot, Balthier shoots 14--small difference, but it does technically mean that Balthier ties for the worst character to use guns.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Just go Time Battlemage and let Balthier rock crossbows. They're pretty strong and he looks more than flamboyant enough while firing them.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Spear balthier is too good to pass up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I made Balthier a Shikari so I could enjoy dagger/shield swashbuckling and it's going pretty well. Shikari/White Mage is a pretty good combination for a healing tank.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well I just beat FF12. Better late than never. That was a good game. When people say that 5, 9 and 12 are criminally underrated they aren't lying.

Now I've beaten every numbered main series FF game except for FF3 and 13. Yes, I've even finished all the story in 14 so far and enough of the expansions in 11 to consider that one "beat."

...I'm not proud of this fact. I need to go out more.

If FF XII Revenant Wings worth playing? Because I kinda want to play it now.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

I made Balthier a Shikari so I could enjoy dagger/shield swashbuckling and it's going pretty well. Shikari/White Mage is a pretty good combination for a healing tank.

I just saw they increased the evasion boost for the main gauche even further for the zodiac release. :eyepop:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Revenant Wings is worth playing in the sense that its staggeringly mediocre, randomly introduces bomb collar loyalty as a thing the player characters use, and is otherwise 100% forgettable.

It plays nothing like 12 or Tactics

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've never played Revenant Wings because I can never figure out what kind of game it is. I know what games it doesn't play like, but... what kind of games does it play like? What is it? Is it even a JRPG?

I had many of the same questions when Type-0 HD got announced.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's an RTS RPG.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

I've never played Revenant Wings because I can never figure out what kind of game it is. I know what games it doesn't play like, but... what kind of games does it play like? What is it? Is it even a JRPG?

I had many of the same questions when Type-0 HD got announced.

Its Ogre Battle with an ATB system.

So its a Real Time Tactical Role Playing Game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That sounds like a terrible idea.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

yes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

I just saw they increased the evasion boost for the main gauche even further for the zodiac release. :eyepop:

Yeah, it's pretty nuts. I actually kind of wish I'd gone Shikari/Red Mage or Shikari/Foebreaker, actually, because those would let him use the Zodiac Escutcheon. I think that adds up to like 120 evasion?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hot take: while obviously Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross have some amazing musical pieces (either field / town / event), their battle music is extremely forgettable. CT's superboss music (i.e. the one that plays during Masamune and the Son of Sun) is meh, especially when compared to Battle to the Death from FF6.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I didn't get very far in Revenant Wings, but there wasn't much strategy in the parts I did play. Just select all your units and attack move across the map

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I didn't get very far in Revenant Wings, but there wasn't much strategy in the parts I did play. Just select all your units and attack move across the map

This is pretty much it. Theres a reason nobody remembers it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I kind of liked it (and Heroes of Mana) at the time for the novelty of playing a RTS on the go. Then Red Alert got added to PSN, so..

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Hot take: while obviously Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross have some amazing musical pieces (either field / town / event), their battle music is extremely forgettable. CT's superboss music (i.e. the one that plays during Masamune and the Son of Sun) is meh, especially when compared to Battle to the Death from FF6.

thats like, the coldest hot take ever, since no one likes the battle music for chrono cross

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, send that take back to the kitchen.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I love how simple it is to make a character a tank in TZA. Of my six characters, three (White mage/shikari, foebreaker/shikari, knight/time battlemage) are either incredibly evasive or incredibly tanky, two (black mage/monk, samurai/uhlan) are incidentally rather tanky, and only one (archer/red mage) is on the fragile side.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

seiferguy posted:

I'd give exceptions for World Revolution and Battle with Magus, both of those are solid battle themes for their circumstances.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Gammatron 64 posted:

You see, what sucks about FFXV is that the game isn't completely terrible or anything, it's that it has so much unrealized potential and a lot of genuinely cool ideas that they subsequently do nothing with, like the aforementioned world of ruin. So you wind up with what feels like a half-finished product that could have been so much more.

You're in luck, the planned DLC was leaked a long time ago and it involves a playable WoR, playable side characters, and more. Enjoy seeing it in another year though.

Barudak posted:

Revenant Wings is worth playing in the sense that its staggeringly mediocre, randomly introduces bomb collar loyalty as a thing the player characters use, and is otherwise 100% forgettable.

It plays nothing like 12 or Tactics

Oooooh drat, I forgot about that. They strap an explosive leash to Ba'Gamnan to force him to work with them, and then are surprised when he uses the first chance he gets to betray them. It's a hosed up Inuyasha thing, where Kagome was a psychopath who literally abused her future husband into marrying her, except nobody would marry a Bangaa.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Bomb collars make no sense. It's a Final Fantasy game, getting caught in an explosion is equivalent to stubbing your toe.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I'd give exceptions for World Revolution and Battle with Magus, both of those are solid battle themes for their circumstances.

Agreed, those are the real standouts. It says a lot that I can call them to mind pretty much immediately even though it's been at least a year and a half since I've even touched Chrono Trigger.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mega64 posted:

Bomb collars make no sense. It's a Final Fantasy game, getting caught in an explosion is equivalent to stubbing your toe.

Tell that to the village of Mist :smith:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Now I want a stereotypical JRPG that acknowledges that you regularly stomp on god and get exploded.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The great crystal can suck my rear end

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

machinists can use measures which give 35 evasion so i guess you could shove that on a red mage or something and dodge everything

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

So to get all the truly good poo poo I have to go to an entirely separate area of the crystal, like returning to the mines, right?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Andrast posted:

I liked these maps when I was going through the crystal. Having the up/down indicator and area names on the map was a godsend. The loot list is from the original version so it's wrong though.

:wtc:

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Emron posted:

So to get all the truly good poo poo I have to go to an entirely separate area of the crystal, like returning to the mines, right?

Once you get the treaty-blade, you can unlock the Scorpio gate at the beginning which leads to the rear end in a top hat maze part of the great crystal that has all the cool treasure (and Ultima) in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Virulence posted:

Once you get the treaty-blade, you can unlock the Scorpio gate at the beginning which leads to the rear end in a top hat maze part of the great crystal that has all the cool treasure (and Ultima) in it.

gently caress, I guess I'll do some hunts and stuff for a bit and come back over the weekend.