Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is not intended to be visible to the viewer and as such is not a part of the tale being told to the viewer.

There's a part in Braveheart where the camera boom is in the frame. Does this mean that camera booms existed in the world of Braveheart?

For this to be a valid indicator of distance, it would be legible and the focus of the scene (which it is neither).

And even if it were, that would be [x] Distance [ ] Time only 1 of 2 items checked off to prove that Teleportation happened...

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You keep making these "throwing in the towel"-angry posts.

Is it really me that is triggered?

using alt-right buzzwords is a pretty good addition to your gimmick, tbh

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the teleporting and poo poo is more a symptom than the disease anyway. the actual issue is cersei and her kin facing virtually no consequences for a massive loving event that should've logically followed with her descent into further madness and being a pariah throughout the country and how the factions dealt with that. instead it's just ok we need to pull a lot of nonsensical garbage to even out the sides despite it making no plot or logistical sense. plus just forgetting about jaime and theon's character arcs for whatever reason.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The whole Winterfell stuff this season seems really unimportant and disconnected from the rest of the show.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I'm reading a lot of posts about the time disrpencies in the show. I have rationalized these disrpencies by thinking that the multiple plot lines we see in each episode do not occur at the same time or even in chronological order. You could also justify these "time warps" by saying that every time scenes change in an episode, weeks or months could have gone by. I don't see why people still have problems.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wizgot posted:

I'm reading a lot of posts about the time disrpencies in the show. I have rationalized these disrpencies by thinking that the multiple plot lines we see in each episode do not occur at the same time or even in chronological order. You could also justify these "time warps" by saying that every time scenes change in an episode, weeks or months could have gone by. I don't see why people still have problems.

GRRM explicitly writes this before the prologue in one of the books. Like almost literally word for word.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Can we get a high res screenshot of how pruney Theon's fingers were last ep??

We can use this to determine the amount of time spent in the water.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Skinty McEdger posted:

The whole Winterfell stuff this season seems really unimportant and disconnected from the rest of the show.

bran sucks and they shoulda wrote him out of the show.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Groovelord Neato posted:

Someone posted that his weird autistic rambling last night was a way to "make him seem Wise" which is so spot-on it hurts.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

I can't figure what he's done or what he will do that will justify the amount of time spent on him. He wasn't even on a season, and it still feels like they've spent way too long on him. Dany's plot dragged too, but she's in Westeros with dragons and moving armies and will obviously be either a big hero or big villain at the end.

I don't think a character has to play a big role in the ending to be worthwhile. Arya, The Hound and Brienne are probably not going to be making big moves in the final season, but they all had a lot of good scenes that were worthwhile. Bran's been boring to watch AND he's not going to amount to anything.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Someone posted that his weird autistic rambling last night was a way to "make him seem Wise" which is so spot-on it hurts.

He's like Yoda if instead of teaching Luke about the force, he started rambling about how beautiful the Hoth snows were the night Luke was raped by the Wampa.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yea that was me.

It's such awful writing.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I think if Euron's magical power this season is that he's read the script, Bran's is that he watched the show.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Skinty McEdger posted:

I think if Euron's magical power this season is that he's read the script, Bran's is that he watched the show.

Oh he watched the show alright

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Oh he watched the show alright

:pervert:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cersei says to The Iron Banker, "you'll have your gold in a fortnight." It took two weeks for her army to get to Highgarden from Casterly Rock. They took the gold from the Tyrells and are paying the Iron Bank.

You can assume Euron left around the same time to intercept the Unsullied. But it doesn't matter, the Unsullied could have been a day late or an hour late to Casterly Rock.

It's not that complicated. Time has past, they just didn't come out and say it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the tyrells would not have the funds to pay off the bank. it's lame plot convenience.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They'll pay the bank with food and stuff. The Reach has food and stuff.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

"Haha nice trolling here's what I'd say if you weren't trolling

*dumb longass spergy reply*"

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The books don't really have clear timelines either, there are weird timeskips and overlaps between POVs. Jaime and Brienne's encounter with Stoneheart is going to span 3 books even though technically all of it has already happened by the end of ADWD.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just got told about this Darkstar dude and want to know why this baller isn't in the loving show.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Propaganda Machine posted:

Looking forward to the fifteen minutes of Sam having a slowly-spoken argument with the archmaester over what he saw in the decrepit scrolls and books to justify heading north. And why is Jorah even still around Oldtown by the time that happens? That little task would take months. He'd be back at Dragonstone and hitting on Emilia Clarke well before then unless the show is loving with juxtaposed timelines in a way that makes zero sense, which it almost certainly is. And even then, he'd still have skipped town.

If they actually did this I wouldn't even be mad. It would be a beautiful to convey that they don't care and anyone who does needs to get over it. Give Sam a scene about him spending weeks copying the scrolls, have him catch up to Jorah as he's leaving town the next scene, and then be at Castle The One With This Season's Fight Budget all within the same episode.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

all the measurements in the show and book are hosed up because grrm has no sense of scale. there's no reason to tie yourself in knots over how far different characters travel because neither the book or show really care about it. every single episode, someone in this thread has a fit over characters "teleporting."

time passed off-screen. don't think about it too hard.

Solice Kirsk posted:

They'll pay the bank with food and stuff. The Reach has food and stuff.

also, cersei entered into her arrangement with the high sparrow with the explicit understanding that the church would pay off part of the crown's debts.

e: and if you really want to push it, you could probably argue that cersei seized a shitton of gold after all the nobility in king's landing exploded.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 1, 2017

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Honestly it's less about the specific travel time than it is that they've developed a bad habit of making their villains hyper-competent as a way of manufacturing tension. And the early seasons (and the books) were much better about showing how and why logistics matter, and how an entire army showing up across the continent unexpectedly is hard to pull off etc (and therefor exciting and special when it does happen). The travel times are just a symptom of this, and from my POV it's extra annoying that Euron specifically gets two huge victories in back to back episodes which seems redundant.

It's less about one specific instance than that a bunch of the stuff that happened feels super contrived to make Cersei a legitimate threat when previously it seemed like she was on the ropes after several seasons of good storytelling getting her to that point, which has now been undone as a hand wave.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tbh i'm pretty sure something similar is going to happen in the books. Incompetent Cersei was in Feast for Crows, I'm guessing some poo poo happens with Margary's trial (probably the Sept blowing up) and suddenly Cersei is back in power and exceedingly pissed off

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can see the Walk of Shame changing her, certainly. Maybe for the better in terms of actually thinking twice before going through with a scheme or plot, but changing for the worst w/r/t her sanity and cruelty.

Not that I expect that, mind. But I could see it happening.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Are there any spoilers whether Jaime loses his poo poo over ostracising his brother and good mate Tyrion based on a lie by Cersei?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Guy A. Person posted:

Honestly it's less about the specific travel time than it is that they've developed a bad habit of making their villains hyper-competent as a way of manufacturing tension. And the early seasons (and the books) were much better about showing how and why logistics matter, and how an entire army showing up across the continent unexpectedly is hard to pull off etc (and therefor exciting and special when it does happen). The travel times are just a symptom of this, and from my POV it's extra annoying that Euron specifically gets two huge victories in back to back episodes which seems redundant.

It's less about one specific instance than that a bunch of the stuff that happened feels super contrived to make Cersei a legitimate threat when previously it seemed like she was on the ropes after several seasons of good storytelling getting her to that point, which has now been undone as a hand wave.

That's fair. I think a few short-term victories by Cersei are a necessary evil, but can understand how it might be frustrating for others.

My gripe is just people obsessing over time and other semantic bullshit for pages upon pages. I get dissatisfaction with the narrative.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 1, 2017

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

When people come in here and say, "that was a bad episode", I don't even know what they gently caress they're talking about.

Of course it's bad, it's all bad. Have you not seen the show since the first half of season 4? Of course its bad.

It's beautiful though, and largely well-acted and cast, and awesome and bloody and stupid and awesome. And coming here and laughing at how stupid and awesome it is is great. This show is great, and of course it's bad, it's so so bad.

"That episode was bad." - what the gently caress does that even mean??

D&D were spinning 10 plates on sticks when it started, and 40 plates by season 3, and since then almost all of them have fallen, and been replaced by plates that fall as soon as they put them up, and it's all awesome.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Captain Lavender posted:

When people come in here and say, "that was a bad episode", I don't even know what they gently caress they're talking about.

Of course it's bad, it's all bad. Have you not seen the show since the first half of season 4? Of course its bad.

It's beautiful though, and largely well-acted and cast, and awesome and bloody and stupid and awesome. And coming here and laughing at how stupid and awesome it is is great. This show is great, and of course it's bad, it's so so bad.

"That episode was bad." - what the gently caress does that even mean??

D&D were spinning 10 plates on sticks when it started, and 40 plates by season 3, and since then almost all of them have fallen, and been replaced by plates that fall as soon as they put them up, and it's all awesome.

Can this be in the OP?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

loving exactly.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Is it necessarily a lie if Cersei doesn't know Olenna and Littlefinger did it, though? It isn't like Tyrion lying to Jaime about it in the books.

How she reacts to the information could definitely push Jaime away from her, though. Especially if she doesn't believe it and doubles down on thinking Tyrion killed Joffrey.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

This season has been good fun so far and I'm not really hearing much negativity except for on here.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The episode was just poorly directed in conveying the passage of time, and they drew attention to it by having a line of dialogue about winter maybe lasting for a year meaning you actually stop to think about time scales and that the amount of movement since winter has started means they could already be halfway through winter.

At least Arya is moving slowly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

The episode was just poorly directed in conveying the passage of time, and they drew attention to it by having a line of dialogue about winter maybe lasting for a year meaning you actually stop to think about time scales and that the amount of movement since winter has started means they could already be halfway through winter.

At least Arya is moving slowly.

They said Winterfell has food stores for a year, and Sansa wanted to know what the longest winter in the last 100 years was, and the maester didn't know. Sansa draws the conclusion that they don't have enough food and orders more grain from the other parts of the north.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

turboraton posted:

I'll be honest, I enjoy GoT double time, first at the dumb tits and rear end story and then reading the forums for the dumb no tits and rear end overexplanation.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Thread recap:

*Episode 1* but did ya see Ed Shermen!?!?!?
*Episode 2* There's no way he could have found them at night!
*Episode 3* FUKING TELEPORT HAXS!!!!!1!!1!!

This is a good season so far :allears:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly I'm just here to watch Dany and Jon have incredibly awkward, sloppy boat sex while Tyrion stands outside the door looking disapproving and Jorah cries into the printer. Anything else that happens this season is an amusing distraction.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I like how Brann could have told Sansa that Arya was alive and well but didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sydin posted:

Jorah cries into the printer.

M'khaleesi

• Locked thread