Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The "Last Stand" mechanic in Max Payne 3 can be really annoying because a lot of the time the angle makes it impossible to shoot the right enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Victor Vran was doing so well avoiding the usual ARPG cruft only to unlock the transmutation system, which is your usual needlessly involved turn-stuff-into-other-stuff system. The recipes all require three of a thing, often three high level things, which feels ridiculous considering how comparatively small your inventory and storage both are (albeit with separate sets of pages for each type of item) and how low item drop rates seem to be. It also costs gold, even just to apply a dye to an outfit. 1k gold isn't a lot, but I'm still at a point in the game where it's not nothing either.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What games did the whole "Item Crafting" mechanic well? A lot of time it's either mostly skippable (Witcher 3) or baffling (Assassin's Creed 3) or just promotes farming for it's own sake (No Man's Buy). There is an appeal to it like how Dark Cloud 2 did it very well. You take photos of everything, and then combine three photos together to come up with an idea for an invention, which you can then make out of a box of scraps. This all works well for verisimilitude because the player character is supposed to be a genius-mechanic in the making.

So what are best examples of Item Crafting? Yes, I've heard of Atelier.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Factorio is the best crafting game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games did the whole "Item Crafting" mechanic well? A lot of time it's either mostly skippable (Witcher 3) or baffling (Assassin's Creed 3) or just promotes farming for it's own sake (No Man's Buy). There is an appeal to it like how Dark Cloud 2 did it very well. You take photos of everything, and then combine three photos together to come up with an idea for an invention, which you can then make out of a box of scraps. This all works well for verisimilitude because the player character is supposed to be a genius-mechanic in the making.

Honestly, for all their flaws, I think the Elder Scrolls games have some good crafting in them. Most materials have several uses and in the case of Alchemy you even get more flexibility and knowledge of your ingredients as you progress. Unfortunately, it's one of those cases where the base is solid enough that the weak spots and omissions are really glaring, and it's inevitably tied to an utterly broken EXP mechanic.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Elder Scrolls did it mostly right because you can dig exactly as far into crafting as you want. I have never played with alchemy in Skyrim, I never plan on doing so, and the game works just fine without it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

There's a mod for New Vegas that adds in the ability to use junk items to craft weapon modifications. I find it an improvement because it can be impossible to find, say, a light machinegun extended magazine if you're hoping the RNG will drop one into a vendor's inventory.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RyokoTK posted:

That's because item crafting isn't a mechanic in Factorio, it's the game itself. That's how you have good item crafting in a game.

Edit: I kind of like how The Surge does it - if you want a particular Part A, you break that part off of an enemy to get Part A crafting materials. Smash enough Part A's off of enemies, and now you have enough to craft it. Simple stuff. It's also not random - you break the thing, you get parts.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Fallout 4's crafting looks cool, though I didn't spend enough time to really delve into it in my brief time with the game. I like the feel of sitting down at a campfire to cook, or at a crafting bench to modify weapons, compared to New Vegas just having you attach a weapon mod on the fly as soon as you bought it. It works for that game's big gameplay loop as well- go out with a gun and an empty inventory, explore a ruin or cave, kill some monsters, come back home loaded down with poo poo, which you then use to do more crafting. If it's anything like Skyrim I'd probably spend hours just buying crafting ingredients, using them all to make and enchant things, then selling my things and using the proceeds to buy more ingredients, ad infinitum, forgetting that there's actually an army of dragons out there for me to kill

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's a good thing Fallout 4 has mod support on all platforms, because sure as poo poo no one is going bother with encumbrance.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Prey's item crafting isn't anything special, but considering the 0451 genre is largely predicated on hoovering up anything useful you can get your hands on and poking around for secrets, being able to deconstruct junk into cubes of generic matter and slowly accrue new recipes to turn them into something else fits the flow of the game pretty well.

Certainly a step up from Bioshock's, which felt more like a glorified slot machine.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 20:48 on Jul 31, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Also, the sound of freshly-compressed cubes hitting the bin of the recycler is incredibly satisfying

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Reasons I hear against buying Prey:

Backtracking like all Metroidvanias except with long load-times between zones.
All the resources you pick up are finite, but enemies respawn infinitely, like System Shock 2.
Your brother is a fat man from New Jersey.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

RyokoTK posted:

It's a shame I'll never get to play it because the creator refuses to put it on sale out of principle so I refuse to buy it on principle.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

It's a shame I'll never get to play it because the creator refuses to put it on sale out of principle so I refuse to buy it on principle.

You're an idiot.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

All the resources you pick up are finite, but enemies respawn infinitely, like System Shock 2.

That explains why I kept getting surprised by enemies in SS2. I kept thinking I'd missed some.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

RyokoTK posted:

That's because in Factorio, your objective is to automate your crafting lines and do as little crafting yourself as humanly possible, freeing you up to go blow up bugs with a tank or accidentally splatter yourself with a turbo-speed death train again.

The secret to enjoying crafting systems in non-Factorio games is remembering that crafting can be completely ignored because good enough gear is going to be lootable or quest rewards anyway. Excluding MMOs where it's typically your only reliable source of currency.

New Butt Order has a new favorite as of 21:40 on Jul 31, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guy Mann posted:

So a $60 game on sale for $50 is good, a $15 game not on sale is bad? Good lord you fuckin' chump.

Agent355 posted:

You're an idiot.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Guy Mann posted:

Entitled idiot.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Reasons I hear against buying Prey:

Backtracking like all Metroidvanias except with long load-times between zones.

This only becomes a problem at the very end of the game, and isn't too much of an issue if you installed it to a SSD.

quote:

Even playing on the hardest difficulty, you become a transhuman murder god by the end and resources aren't an issue at all.

quote:

Your brother is a fat man from New Jersey.

Don't know about Jersey but he's certainly fat. You can kill him if you want.

Get Prey, it's great.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When I put a game on steam I'm gonna permanently have it on "sale" for a penny off just to get people who refuse to buy items not on sale out of principle.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This is kind of a weird one but Splatoon 2 is a case of the game's own meta dragging it down. Every time I see a banner in the city that just says "INK UR SPAWN" in giant letters I die a little inside.

Please, please, please rush the far side when the match starts, I can see you dying every ten seconds so it's not like you don't have plenty of opportunities to cover the spawn. Holy god when three of you run around with rollers 50 feet from the spawn point for almost a minute the other team is already right there pushing back and it is obvious how bad we're going to lose.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Prey felt a bit oppressive to me by the end of the game, but I also refused to use any of the typhon mods so I definitely feel like I kneecapped myself.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Subnautica because it's cool to get better and better equipped to handle the scary parts of this giant ocean world.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Victor Vran was doing so well avoiding the usual ARPG cruft only to unlock the transmutation system, which is your usual needlessly involved turn-stuff-into-other-stuff system. The recipes all require three of a thing, often three high level things, which feels ridiculous considering how comparatively small your inventory and storage both are (albeit with separate sets of pages for each type of item) and how low item drop rates seem to be. It also costs gold, even just to apply a dye to an outfit. 1k gold isn't a lot, but I'm still at a point in the game where it's not nothing either.

I think only the +damage and +crit mods are worth it anyway, and they're item level capped so I never felt any point in upgrading anything. The amount you actually get from upgrading is ridiculously small too, like maybe 1 damage on a base of 50-90. It should really just be the card upgrades, although those don't always go to the max rarity so have fun accidentally wasting money sometimes.

I don't think there's an inventory limit, it just adds a new page onto what you've got going.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

What games did the whole "Item Crafting" mechanic well?

I talked a bit about the game in the sister thread to this one, but Creativerse is a prettier version of Minecraft that does a lot of its item-crafting stuff well, and removes a lot of the annoyances from a more bog-standard system.

Recipes are unlocked as you progress, you can just open a page and see you need Item X and Item Y. Each item details where it came from (for natural products, its detailed biome or defined depth underground, by crafted products, what station makes it). It cuts down on the different types of tools you need.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Monster Hunter does crafting well

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gitro posted:

I don't think there's an inventory limit, it just adds a new page onto what you've got going.

:psyduck: That's certainly not communicated in any way, especially when everything has two pages by default. I'm assuming that only applies to the storage box at least?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RBA Starblade posted:

Fable 3 sucks a whole lot

I played it once, and then the game poo poo its self and the uninstaller would crash every time I tried to remove it from my computer. That game is bad. I would kill for Fable 2 on the PC though. It wasn't a great game, but it was dumb fun and an HD remake of fable 2 could probably turn the crappy co-op it had into some good times.

Summon Night: Sword Craft Story is a game all about crafting weapons. Breaking your opponents weapons, rather than killing them, unlocks their weapons to craft. Substituting materials for magic materials unlocks magic variants and it's fairly basic in the long run. The sequel has a different system where you reforge your weapon every time you make a new one instead, and transfer some of its stats based on the items you use. So you can, in theory, max out your stats through the right combination of items and reforging. I had fun with it.

EDIT: Survival Kids is probably not quite what you're looking for, but it's a GBC game where you play as a kid stranded on a deserted island and you have to survive and get rescued. A core mechanic of the game is combining and creating tools to survive, gameplay-wise it plays a lot like Link's Awakening and it does some clever things with its mechanics.

2house2fly posted:

Fallout 4's crafting looks cool, though I didn't spend enough time to really delve into it in my brief time with the game.
It's really surface level tedium in the end. Do you want the barrel that gives you +30 damage or the one that gives you +15 damage? One of them requires a higher tier perk and ten gold watches to make, the other requires a lower tier of the same perk and five gold watches! There are a few interesting upgrades, but they're so few and far between and never on weapons you'll actually use. The missile launcher and fat man get a bunch of cool stuff but there's just no real incentive to use them beyond the novelty of it.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Aug 1, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Oldstench posted:

Entitled idiot.

I'll be over here crying into my giant pile of unplayed games that I bought from people who aren't weird autists who think they're above basic commerce.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guy Mann posted:

I'll be over here crying into my giant pile of unplayed games that I bought from people who aren't weird autists who think they're above basic commerce.

:frogout:

Gitro
May 29, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

:psyduck: That's certainly not communicated in any way, especially when everything has two pages by default. I'm assuming that only applies to the storage box at least?

Nope, works that way for your personal stuff too. Your weapons, cards, and whatever else get an additional page whenever you exceed the current amount. I kept expecting to hit a limit for a while, too, but eventually drop rates increased and I just kept picking stuff. Went back to the shop and had 4 pages or something, with more for cards.

Nuebot posted:

I played it once, and then the game poo poo its self and the uninstaller would crash every time I tried to remove it from my computer. That game is bad. I would kill for Fable 2 on the PC though. It wasn't a great game, but it was dumb fun and an HD remake of fable 2 could probably turn the crappy co-op it had into some good times.

There's a chest and key in your personal vault that taunts you constantly in Fable 3. The only way to get it is to fill your vault up to walk up your gold pile and get the key (requires a mil or something), then empty it again to get to the chest. After buying every bit of property I could and an extended sequence near endgame that prevents you spending on anything I had enough to get the key. The only way to empty my vault was by the newly-unlocked feature of piling money into the kingdom's treasury, rendering the moral choices at that point, which basically just consist of screwing over your kingdom to enrich yourself or not, completely meaningless. Dumping your money into the kingdom also gives you nice points (and is slow as poo poo to actually do), so I went from the mean princess no-one liked to the beloved hero-queen of albion.

Playing 3 again just made me want to play 2 more :(

Gitro has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Aug 1, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

It's a good thing Fallout 4 has mod support on all platforms, because sure as poo poo no one is going bother with encumbrance.

lol there's like a half dozen "hardcore" mods that cut your carry capacity in half or the like, and then there's the base game's Survival mode which also reduces your inventory limit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not singling out any particular game in this regard so much as a trend I've noticed in an awful lot of games in the last several years, especially fantasy games: games, it's not a shock anymore if the primary religion of your world is secretly evil, their leadership is corrupt, they're worshiping eldritch horrors, or what they're worshiping is actually something quite mundane and their beliefs are woefully misguided.

At this point, what would be a shock would be a religion that actually is the force of good it proclaims itself to be and has no dirty secrets to uncover.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Guy Mann posted:

What's basic commerce? Are you one of those people who'll buy an item for more money if it says 15% off?

ur dum

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gitro posted:

Nope, works that way for your personal stuff too. Your weapons, cards, and whatever else get an additional page whenever you exceed the current amount. I kept expecting to hit a limit for a while, too, but eventually drop rates increased and I just kept picking stuff. Went back to the shop and had 4 pages or something, with more for cards.

What's the point of even having a storage box then??

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Cythereal posted:

Not singling out any particular game in this regard so much as a trend I've noticed in an awful lot of games in the last several years, especially fantasy games: games, it's not a shock anymore if the primary religion of your world is secretly evil, their leadership is corrupt, they're worshiping eldritch horrors, or what they're worshiping is actually something quite mundane and their beliefs are woefully misguided.

At this point, what would be a shock would be a religion that actually is the force of good it proclaims itself to be and has no dirty secrets to uncover.

Sounds like all jrpgs to me.

Another trope is you being an orphan of some sort or the ever present "you and me are not that different" poo poo every main villain pulls.

No fucker i'm killing your mooks because they're burnin' rapin' and pillagin' and also you killed my parents!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Vic posted:

What's basic commerce? Are you one of those people who'll buy an item for more money if it says 15% off?

ur dum

That's advanced commerce

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cythereal posted:

The elder scrolls games are actually pretty up-front with their religion.

Vic posted:

Sounds like all jrpgs to me.

They do tend to dig into the "murder the fantasy pope and prove that not-Christianity is a complete sham by killing Cthulhu-god" well a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

Mmm, autism used as an insult to justify a weirdly obsessive and self-destructive behaviour, that's the good poo poo.