Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/892204421106421760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/883009465175474181

pro: running against anti-choice dem

con: hash tag resistance

welp best of luck to her in defeating the Chicago democratic machine

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

anyway, how's that "we should recreate Howard Dean's 50 state strategy" coming along

I personally am going to try to stop saying pro-life or pro-choice. It's a dumb terminology.

Its for or against abortion.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I stand with Abortion Consumers

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/lanadelraytheon/status/892175677109092353

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Squizzle posted:

san dimas high school football rules

New thread title pls

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Concerned Citizen posted:

but it's in a better position than gay marriage was in say 2004, when national campaign leaders were openly running away from it, so i don't really see why there's no room for growth using the same tactics the lgbt community used.

you are a dumbasss; support for single-payer has decreased since dems' talking point that it will never ever happen became prevalent.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

as i mentioned earlier in the thread, lgbt community went door to door with long form conversations to talk about their personal experiences, forcing people to confront the targets of their bigotry face-to-face. studies (although there were some retracted studies due to fraud, subsequent ones replicated the original result) have shown it was enormously successful in moving voters. i think healthcare personal stories can be extremely powerful, and they can convince people that the system needs to be reformed toward a single payer system. right now it seems not much work at all to promote single-payer to ordinary people - lot of pressure on elected legislators, but not much targeted at moving actual voters.

lol, no. Gay dems threatened to shut the door on the the gaytm's funds, and finally then the dems listened.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

btw, DSA is going door-to-door on single-payer, while bad dems sit on their heels and claim the time is not yet ripe for single-payer even though one-third of the country is already under single-payer insurance and it rates higher than even employer-sponsored insurance does.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cc: "democrats have a long-standing tradition of supporting lgbtq issues"

https://twitter.com/katelew1s/status/892128706197676037

also cc: "this is good and proper for a democrat (one already ordained to be the new frontrunner so get the gently caress in line)"

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

single payer doesn't happen without majority support. we're not there yet.

how was civil-rights legislation polling in the South during 1964?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

how was civil-rights legislation polling in the South during 1964?

look willa you are just completely unreasonable to demand democrats stand for anything not currently polling at least 55%

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

i mean, again, dems did get it passed in 10 states and more were on the way. dc dems took action on dadt and tried multiple times to pass the respect for marriage act, but they did not have the votes to pass it. the closest might have been 2009 but there wasn't enough support to get it to the house floor even with 120 cosponsors, and it did not have obama's support until 2011. so i think the idea that grassroots support didn't materialize into congressional support just isn't true.

it's unbelievable that you can say this poo poo with a straight (no pun intended) face and think it's a good argument.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

look willa you are just completely unreasonable to demand democrats stand for anything not currently polling at least 55%

not at least, it has to poll exactly at 55% in order for democrats to comfortably stand for it. which is why something that polls at 67% is too popular for dems to support.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's like on the price is right when the republicans have 75 cents on the big wheel, and the dems flat-out refuse to take a second spin even though they only have 55. even if there's a decent chance they might win or even get a dollar, they'd rather lose because the game isn't being played exactly how they imagined it working.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

let me tell you how democrats are like video games

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UHD posted:

let me tell you how democrats are like video games

why not? bad dems have tried to shoehorn dread abuela into every other possible idea in pop culture.

"dread abuela may not be a doctor, but she is a doctor who will save us all from the gop's dalek-like health care plan!"

"dread abuela may not be harry potter, but even she knows trump is a hog's wart."

"dread abuela may not be a stars war, but she can get lena dunham to talk about how trump is like palpatine. also syria is endor and we have to bomb the gently caress out of it in order to protect the ewoks"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

it's like on the price is right when the republicans have 75 cents on the big wheel, and the dems flat-out refuse to take a second spin even though they only have 55. even if there's a decent chance they might win or even get a dollar, they'd rather lose because the game isn't being played exactly how they imagined it working.

remind me to never invite a Democrat to play Plinko, they'd tap out if the ball even got a whiff of the $10,000 chute

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Willa Rogers posted:

btw, DSA is going door-to-door on single-payer, while bad dems sit on their heels and claim the time is not yet ripe for single-payer even though one-third of the country is already under single-payer insurance and it rates higher than even employer-sponsored insurance does.

owns

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
thank yew pvrity bee for pollen8tin us with ideas like single payer advocation

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

see this is the thing, like what if all the dem single payer doubters and haters just....... unequivocally supported it??? they're the biggest road block right now and trying to stamp out their base.

i listened to the new pod save america where they had on joy ann reid and symone sanders, and symone was saying regular voters don't really care about russia right now while joy said the dems should be doing all this messaging and effort to explain how it impacts regular people and explaining the connections to russian oligarchs funding/buying american infrastructure and energy projects and all this poo poo (mind that the russia connection may prove nonexistent!) and instead they could just be saying "we will give everyone healthcare for cheaper than everyone gets it right now." but nope it's just managing expectations downward and not giving people stuff to vote for.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

said the dems should be doing all this messaging and effort to explain how it impacts regular people

lmao

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

i love the smell of salt in the morning

if politics was Robocop, Hillary would be Dick Jones, Trump would be Bob, Sessions is Clarence, Pelosi is the old ceo

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

it was also met with thunderous applause (live audience), and symone repeating that in all the focus groups she's been in, voters don't care. christ.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i was out at a local festival handing out flyers about single payer. got more hell yeahs than mumbled comments about being a communist and I'm in one of the reddest states in the country. turns out when you phrase an argument as "ayo gently caress hospital bills" people respond well

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/historyinflicks/status/892234541695455232

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

got any sevens posted:

i love the smell of salt in the morning

if politics was Robocop, Hillary would be Dick Jones, Trump would be Bob, Sessions is Clarence, Pelosi is the old ceo

Does that make centrist/conservative policies the ED-209 and Robocop is the cyborg champion of the people? (not actually far off the original intended subtext now)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://mobile.twitter.com/brianefallon/status/892154882622468096

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Agean90 posted:

i was out at a local festival handing out flyers about single payer. got more hell yeahs than mumbled comments about being a communist and I'm in one of the reddest states in the country. turns out when you phrase an argument as "ayo gently caress hospital bills" people respond well

seems like not dying horribly and in agony because you were denied basic coverage and access is a general wish

:airquote: the bernie-wing of the democratic party :airquote:

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 05:57 on Aug 1, 2017

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
i regret not voting for the dabbing blue dog

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

if only berniebros would stop pointing out all the problems with our candidates, it'd be like they didnt have any problems!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

:wtc: twitter

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

from that sensitive material we find out why all the bad dems are lining up behind harris:

First, Harris said that “step number one is not to eliminate” Obamacare, reciting the Congressional Budget Office’s projection that the Republicans’ repeal bill will throw 24 million people off of their coverage. So far, so good—but that’s not a positive message, it’s a defensive one.

Next, she pivoted to talking about ways to improve Obamacare. But she only mentioned allowing the government to negotiate prescription drug costs “so these prescription drug companies aren’t just taking such advantage of us,” and pointed to the Epi-Pen price-gouging scandal.

Sensing that this was a pretty thin positive message, Jon Lovett pushed her to name more things that Democrats should do to improve healthcare. And Harris responded by pointing to…the Cadillac Tax. “I think we need to look at the Cadillac Tax and deal with that,” Harris said.

Harris continued, offering some prolonged word salad of stammering qualifiers before endorsing a Medicare for All single-payer system as the vision of progressive healthcare. “And then there is what we need to do around really at some point figuring out how at some level we are going to have a policy that is Medicare for All. That would be the ultimate and great place to be, Medicare for All.” Her pitch for Medicare for All won much applause from the crowd.

Harris declined to formally endorse the single-payer bill winding its way through the California legislature, saying, “I like the concept but we need to work out the details.” She concluded that as a country, “We need to get to a place where it is not a function of your income that you have access to healthcare.”

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

bad-dem speak has pivoted from "it'll never ever happen" to "sure, we want is as much as everyone; it's just gonna take a century or so to get there"

is that the sort of incrementalism concerned citized thinks will save the dems?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

the arc of history is long but it bends toward maybe your descendents will be able to afford healthcare somewhere someday

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

cc, sorry I'm making GBS threads on you so much while you're probated but like every post you've made over the past couple days reminds me again why I don't vote for most dems anymore.

I'm an old girl, and I've been hearing this poo poo for decades now, and I'm gonna snap if the dems don't take the loving reins on single-payer---yesterday. Ironically, their doing so would give you the party wins you crave, so maybe you should do your part to help move it along, like the young'uns in DSA are doing while you jerk yourself off over celinda lake's focus-group talking points.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
This thread is quite the honeypot ha ha ha

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

This thread is quite the honeypot ha ha ha

mods??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
dunking on cc is always funny but i seriously dont know why he keeps spitting into the wind

• Locked thread