Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
clearly the gundam is a secret prototype made of special gundamium alloy who's formula was lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

In universe the late One Year War Zeon suits were just as good as the Gundam. If you wanted to include the original Gundam in SRW and feel the need to give some sort of gameplay justification for it still being good you just have to give Amuro stats so high that his piloting overcomes any weakness that the suit has. That is the main reason it was so good later in 0079 anyway. Also give it Tobe! Gundam as its theme music because that would also make it the best mobile suit in the game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ethiser posted:

In universe the late One Year War Zeon suits were just as good as the Gundam. If you wanted to include the original Gundam in SRW and feel the need to give some sort of gameplay justification for it still being good you just have to give Amuro stats so high that his piloting overcomes any weakness that the suit has. That is the main reason it was so good later in 0079 anyway. Also give it Tobe! Gundam as its theme music because that would also make it the best mobile suit in the game.

Maybe Amuro is like the only person ever who actually read the manual for his robot.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ethiser posted:

Outdated robots regularly get "internal tune-ups" to jack up their stats if necessary. I think this happened to Mazinger if you took the option to pick it instead of Mazinkaiser in Alpha?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Amuro will get the Nu Gundam as his upgrade as per tradition

especially if CCA is not remotely involved

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

Maybe Amuro is like the only person ever who actually read the manual for his robot.

Loran read his, but I don't think he was a very good reader because he definitely skipped over the chapter about how to use nanomachines to make the Turn A do whatever you want it to.

Caphi posted:

Outdated robots regularly get "internal tune-ups" to jack up their stats if necessary. I think this happened to Mazinger if you took the option to pick it instead of Mazinkaiser in Alpha?

Yeah, that is what they would probably do I just think making Amuro into the Gundam version of Chirico is a cooler way to represent that.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 31, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Broken Loose posted:

I'd totally buy into the RX-78-2 being such an overdesigned pile of hardware that it stays competitive even when compared against its successors, but that suspension of disbelief dissolves ingame when later UC stuff doesn't revolve entirely around beam weapons and designing your way around them. My boy the 78 is immune to ballistic weapons shy of a bazooka. Meanwhile, the Victory would probably get shredded by a vulcan.

To do this properly, they'd have to change the beam damage formula, though. That's a whole other discussion.

If I remember properly the Gundam Mark 2 is only slightly better in overall performance than the RX-78, most of the improvements were in material design and cost reduction(making a suit better than the original Gundam wasn't hard even during the OYW, the problem was making it better without it being either ruinously expensive or hard to manufacture)

Ethiser posted:

Honestly best solution would be to just do a OYW focused game and not include any AU Gundams or anything in UC set after 0084 or so(and similarly be careful with any other Real Robot series you include), which is actually pretty doable at this point since there's a ton of Gundam stuff set during the OYW or it's immediate aftermath

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh, Trider was who I was thinking of! I think he got "maintenance" done on him in like every Z game after Destruction.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Broken Loose posted:

I'd totally buy into the RX-78-2 being such an overdesigned pile of hardware that it stays competitive even when compared against its successors, but that suspension of disbelief dissolves ingame when later UC stuff doesn't revolve entirely around beam weapons and designing your way around them. My boy the 78 is immune to ballistic weapons shy of a bazooka. Meanwhile, the Victory would probably get shredded by a vulcan.

To do this properly, they'd have to change the beam damage formula, though. That's a whole other discussion.

It was a plot point toward the ends of the show that the Gundam was regularly not as maneuverable as Amuro wanted it to be, and "less dodgy but maybe better armor" is not a good spot to be in a Gundam show.

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly best solution would be to just do a OYW focused game and not include any AU Gundams or anything in UC set after 0084 or so(and similarly be careful with any other Real Robot series you include), which is actually pretty doable at this point since there's a ton of Gundam stuff set during the OYW or it's immediate aftermath

I'd love a modern SRW with only shows from the 70's, but I didn't need to read that interview (again, props Hokuto!) to know that'd never happen.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Schwarzwald posted:

I'd love a modern SRW with only shows from the 70's, but I didn't need to read that interview (again, props Hokuto!) to know that'd never happen.

Do a SRW with shows from any time, but make everyone LOOK like they came out in the 70s.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Light Gun Man posted:

Do a SRW with shows from any time, but make everyone LOOK like they came out in the 70s.

You could do this if it was an OG game.

And given how much better the Grungust and Huckbein both looked in SRWV's art style, that'd be an excellent idea.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Schwarzwald posted:

It was a plot point toward the ends of the show that the Gundam was regularly not as maneuverable as Amuro wanted it to be, and "less dodgy but maybe better armor" is not a good spot to be in a Gundam show.

That's not really what I was thinking at all, too restrictive for one thing, not to mention most OYW works were made in the 80's through 90's or later

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The RX-78 was ending its operational life as a top ace unit before the OYW was even over, which is why there were all sorts of upgrades being brainstormed for it like the Alex and the G-3 Gundam. Run-of-the-mill mass production Gelgoogs were roughly on par with it technologically, nevermind the one-off prototype stuff that came years after.

drrockso20 posted:

If I remember properly the Gundam Mark 2 is only slightly better in overall performance than the RX-78, most of the improvements were in material design and cost reduction(making a suit better than the original Gundam wasn't hard even during the OYW, the problem was making it better without it being either ruinously expensive or hard to manufacture)

The Mk2 was explicitly designed cheaply because it is basically a mass production suit instead of an expensive prototype. It actually uses dramatically shittier armor than the original Gundam but is faster and more maneuverable because it's the beginning of the understanding that it doesn't matter how much armor you pile onto a suit if it gets wiped out by a single beam rifle hit anyway. It being built lovely and cheap is illustrated by the fact that it's horribly obsolete before Zeta is even half over, to the point where they have to bolt the G-Defenser to it just to keep it competitive with random Titans grunt suits.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Kanos posted:

The Mk2 was explicitly designed cheaply because it is basically a mass production suit instead of an expensive prototype. It actually uses dramatically shittier armor than the original Gundam but is faster and more maneuverable because it's the beginning of the understanding that it doesn't matter how much armor you pile onto a suit if it gets wiped out by a single beam rifle hit anyway. It being built lovely and cheap is illustrated by the fact that it's horribly obsolete before Zeta is even half over, to the point where they have to bolt the G-Defenser to it just to keep it competitive with random Titans grunt suits.

Tell that to my girl Elle who might be the single greatest pilot in the Universal Century.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
When are they going to animate the story where a bunch of Crossbone era mobile suits get their poo poo wrecked by Zakus piloted by Monkeys because they're too physically big to fight

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In some ways even the GM was superior to the original Gundam. They cut out a lot of the excess cruft and were left with a machine that actually had superior functions to the original Gundam in some ways. Where it largely lacked was the stuff a mass production grunt unit didn't need. (Excess power, heavy armor and defensive options, more weapons than it needed.) The Gundam was better overall because it had a bunch of needlessly expensive poo poo but it was already long in the tooth by the time the Federation had their MP MSes on the market. The magnetic coating just eeked some extra performance out of it.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I think every SRW should have the option to have Simon the Digger from Gurren Lagann, Gai Shishio from GaoGaiGar, and Kamille Bidan from Zeta Gundam pilot the Ideon.

And you just immediately win the game. Nothing could possibly stand up to those three in one of the most stupidly overpowered robots ever. And their skills, talents, and mindsets would pretty much keep the Ideon from resetting reality. (If Kamille was replaced by Koji Kabuto from Mazinger it is iffy what would happen. You lose empathy and get a more heroic and badass type but emphasis on the rear end part. God? Devil? Homeslice is BOTH.)

Like nobody could beat them in that thing unless they did something like turn Haruhi Suzumia into knowing she is God (if she actually is and not the narrator), having her go full douchebag, and like posessing Unicron from Transformers or stealing the Gunbuster (Or having the entire SOS Brigade controlling the SDF Macross..) or something to match it.

(GaoGaiGar is the best because courage and bravery turn a 1 percent chance of victory to 100! No matter how much the other side cheats and hacks reality.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I have to imagine that the thing the GL writers didn't want changed was Kamina's death. They've had Gai come back as a secret plenty of times and he kind of occupies a similar role in Nadesico that Kamina does in GL (though Gai dies earlier, admittedly) so they almost certainly explored that avenue.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Can we get Noriko, Kazumi, and Jung as pilots in Shin Getter or something? I'd totally field that.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
There's always the magic of OE to keep Kamina alive.

He's alive because they don't do the plot at all.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
IIRC, in SRW Alpha, there was a level where the Titans fielded a whole squadron of MKIIs, which I thought was pretty cool, given the MKII was just to test out the new style of armouring. Cheap as hell, could make a whole bunch of them. And given it's the Titans, of course they'd have them be piloted. Got get those deaths somewhere, right Bask?

Light Gun Man posted:

Can we get Noriko, Kazumi, and Jung as pilots in Shin Getter or something? I'd totally field that.

This just reminds me of Getter Robo Daikessen, with the Getter Zan.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I forgot, good job on the interview translation, it was very interesting. I've been a bit disenchanted with SRW recently but that discussion actually reminded me of what the magic of the series is supposed to be, even though I think their execution has been very spotty recently.

On game length - I don't mind SRW getting shorter, because I don't think the games really have enough "fresh content" to justify like the 60 or so average stage count that a lot of the recent games have and I think it was a good move that V cut it down by around 10 stages.

I guess for a bunch of people there's "bang for your buck" and hours of playtime/cost ratio to think of, but really I feel like you should ideally be enjoying yourself to the max for the length of the game and not "another mission where you basically beat up the same 50 grunts again?"

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Davzz posted:

I forgot, good job on the interview translation, it was very interesting. I've been a bit disenchanted with SRW recently but that discussion actually reminded me of what the magic of the series is supposed to be, even though I think their execution has been very spotty recently.

On game length - I don't mind SRW getting shorter, because I don't think the games really have enough "fresh content" to justify like the 60 or so average stage count that a lot of the recent games have and I think it was a good move that V cut it down by around 10 stages.

I guess for a bunch of people there's "bang for your buck" and hours of playtime/cost ratio to think of, but really I feel like you should ideally be enjoying yourself to the max for the length of the game and not "another mission where you basically beat up the same 50 grunts again?"

Almost all missions are or end up being beat up the bad guys. You can do some other stuff but in the end a grid-based srpg can only have so much variation.

(Imo new games should have much smaller casts and really limit the amount of units you can field, and add masteries. The games are too easy without them.)

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
SR Points are a must and I'd love more Puzzlerobos for sure. I know I get really annoyed when you get given 50 dudes and only 18 deployment slots but I think the solution is Z style Setsuko/Rand route splits rather than a smaller cast as a whole and squad/team systems help cut down on benchwarmers.

Endorph posted:

I have to imagine that the thing the GL writers didn't want changed was Kamina's death. They've had Gai come back as a secret plenty of times and he kind of occupies a similar role in Nadesico that Kamina does in GL (though Gai dies earlier, admittedly) so they almost certainly explored that avenue.

I wouldn't be so sure. Spoilers for Z3.2 Kamina comes back as a spiritghost that can exist only on the big GL boat towards the end of the game, so he sorta comes back? Kittan stays ultra dead forever though.

Caphi posted:

Oh, Trider was who I was thinking of! I think he got "maintenance" done on him in like every Z game after Destruction.

I just got to the bit in Z3.2 where everybody goes off to get their upgrades and some people get new moves or tweaked animations to their finishers and Trider just gets +stats to everything for the 4th game in a row. I'm pretty sure the only new things Trider ever gets from the base loadout is his little handgun and combo attacks.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

EthanSteele posted:

I just got to the bit in Z3.2 where everybody goes off to get their upgrades and some people get new moves or tweaked animations to their finishers and Trider just gets +stats to everything for the 4th game in a row. I'm pretty sure the only new things Trider ever gets from the base loadout is his little handgun and combo attacks.

Even the Shuttle got more than Trider.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Inferno-sama posted:

This just reminds me of Getter Robo Daikessen, with the Getter Zan.

The more Mazingers and Getters I can field at once, the better. I love when Mazingers get upgrades but the old ones stay, so eventually Sayaka and Boss can get Mazingers too.

In fact let's just get to the point where there's a Mazinger upgrade so large it can launch the first model as it's rocket punch.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 31, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Light Gun Man posted:

The more Mazingers and Getters I can field at once, the better. I love when Mazingers get upgrades but the old ones stay, so eventually Sayaka and Boss can get Mazingers too.

In fact let's just get to the point where there's a Mazinger upgrade so large it can launch the first model as it's rocket punch.

The only way i could see the first part happening is if we get a game with classic Z and Great, plus the Alpha series version of Kaiser, but also the MP and Black Greats from MX. Then we get five Mazingers and five pilots.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Schwarzwald posted:

At this point I'll take almost any 70s representation beyond just Zambot 3 and Daitarn 3. Based on that interview, I'd be surprised if those two stay around much longer.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I think the Ulimate Nice Boy The Storm Banjo will stick around seeing as he's proven he can be slotted in to basically any plot with a minimum of fuss and he's big and cool, but who knows! The only thing he can't do is have new lines until someone decides on a new voice guy.

Is there anywhere with the background images from the games? Not maps so much, but the scenes for the talking heads.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mercury Crusader posted:

At this point I'll take almost any 70s representation beyond just Zambot 3 and Daitarn 3. Based on that interview, I'd be surprised if those two stay around much longer.

Maybe if Mahoroba ever goes somewhere Leiji Matsumoto will finally let them use Danguard Ace.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

EthanSteele posted:

I think the Ulimate Nice Boy The Storm Banjo will stick around seeing as he's proven he can be slotted in to basically any plot with a minimum of fuss and he's big and cool, but who knows! The only thing he can't do is have new lines until someone decides on a new voice guy.

Since they're not making Daitarn anymore, there will never be a 'new voice guy'. Bright only got one because he is in Unicorn.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EthanSteele posted:

As it turns out, anyone can be slotted into any plot with very little fuss if you just throw them in with their robot, make them post-series, and maybe make them friends/mentors with a real character or throw in one of their enemy units. Banjou did basically nothing in V or the last three Z games; Z3 didn't even acknowledge he existed in the two separate times a "sun" theme was part of the plot.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They actually referenced the Meganoids multiple times in V so it is probably the most relevant Banjo has been in at least a decade.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Banjowns

edit: I was looking through a folder of old pictures and saw this and laughed

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 1, 2017

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ethiser posted:

They actually referenced the Meganoids multiple times in V so it is probably the most relevant Banjo has been in at least a decade.

I definitely remember people in the thread saying how they liked the Meganoid thing reveal in V, as small as it was it was still cool. I should have been clearer that I meant it as Banjo is the guy they keep choosing to do the thing with.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Light Gun Man posted:

Banjowns

edit: I was looking through a folder of old pictures and saw this and laughed

I completely forgot about this, I'm so glad someone did art of this, that just brightened my day.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
"It's another gun" pulled the ugliest laugh out of me.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...

Prism posted:

Since they're not making Daitarn anymore, there will never be a 'new voice guy'. Bright only got one because he is in Unicorn.

They recast Dan for SRW Z though.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Hokuto posted:

Nasu: What I've gotten out of this discussion so far is that if you had to sum up SRW in a word, it would be dreams. Many players wish their favorite characters got more screentime, but stories are made to be consumed. Once you're done consuming them, they're in the past. But even when the story is a thing of the past, the characters still remain. SRW embodies that player dream of giving their favorite characters more screentime. The dreams of the players, the characters that the writers want to make, and the wishes of the corporate bigwigs. (laughs) It's those three things combined that make SRW what it is, in my view.

Pretty insightful comment here.

Thanks Hokuto for the translation, that was a great read :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Lobsterman posted:

They recast Dan for SRW Z though.

Who's Dan? (Serious question, have no idea who you mean.)

I thought it was general policy for Banpresto to only use original VAs - that's why they kept using Banjo's original recordings for years after Suzuoki died - but I guess they changed their mind somewhere along the way?

• Locked thread