Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think your bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Definate" is definately the most annoying common misspelling.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Wheat Loaf posted:

I defiantly disagree.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Defiantly

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Not really the same thing, but that reminded me of how annoying it is when people use "inbox" as a verb when they mean email/text.

I used to work with a guy who said to "ping [him] an email", which is by far the worst way I can think of to ask someone to send you any form of online correspondence.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't @ me

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Synonymous posted:

Quoth the sperglord, "Nevermore".

:golfclap:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I defiantly disagree.

I figure this is an autocorrect thing, yeah?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

walrusman posted:

I figure this is an autocorrect thing, yeah?

Defiantly

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Every time I cook for my mom, she's amazed the things I make turn out so well. It's because I stay in the kitchen and keep an eye on, say, a pan of onions over high heat, or meat on the grill; I do not go sit and chat with people or go to the bathroom or Skype someone. Tough advice to follow I realize...

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I really hate when people who have been working lovely jobs for a while latch onto the idea that breaks are for the weak, and they intentionally work through their breaks or refuse to take them at all. I get that some people have bosses who illegally push that poo poo, but I've had a couple jobs where management actively encourages us to take breaks and write up break schedules every day, and there are STILL people who do this! WHY? It doesn't make you a better employee, it makes you more likely to get hurt, exhausted or burned out, and I guarantee you the company doesn't deserve that kind of blind dedication to your awful minimum-wage job. Then when I try to take my break, these fuckers come at me like "Oh, you're taking a ten? Must be nice, I haven't had a break in 3 years" :smug: MOTHERFUCKER YOU'RE DOING THAT BY CHOICE, against the wishes of literally everyone else here! gently caress off!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nettles Coterie posted:

I really hate when people who have been working lovely jobs for a while latch onto the idea that breaks are for the weak, and they intentionally work through their breaks or refuse to take them at all. I get that some people have bosses who illegally push that poo poo, but I've had a couple jobs where management actively encourages us to take breaks and write up break schedules every day, and there are STILL people who do this! WHY? It doesn't make you a better employee, it makes you more likely to get hurt, exhausted or burned out, and I guarantee you the company doesn't deserve that kind of blind dedication to your awful minimum-wage job. Then when I try to take my break, these fuckers come at me like "Oh, you're taking a ten? Must be nice, I haven't had a break in 3 years" :smug: MOTHERFUCKER YOU'RE DOING THAT BY CHOICE, against the wishes of literally everyone else here! gently caress off!

I'm so sick of fuckers who work themselves to death and complain about it. I know I'm probably significantly poorer than them because I work less and take more time to myself, but that's because it's what I value. If money were more important to me, I'd work more. I'm not a lesser person for not working overtime, having a second job, etc. But these people really do seek you out to complain, I don't know what it is that motivates them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

But these people really do seek you out to complain, I don't know what it is that motivates them.

Complaining.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

If I take a 10 minute break, I will fall 10 minutes behind and be buried under more work than I can possibly catch up with. I'd rather do moderate amounts of work at a steady pace than alternate between sitting at break and working at apeshit speed.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nettles Coterie posted:

Yes. If you're one of those people who insist in coming to work when you're sick, so you can make everyone else in the office sick, stop it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Push-up bras

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

oldpainless posted:

Push-up bras

More like oldboobless

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If I take a 10 minute break, I will fall 10 minutes behind and be buried under more work than I can possibly catch up with. I'd rather do moderate amounts of work at a steady pace than alternate between sitting at break and working at apeshit speed.

10 or 20 minutes throughout an entire shift should not be setting you back that much, and if your employer is giving you so much work that you can't POSSIBLY take your LEGALLY MANDATED breaks, then that's an issue with staffing & how things are run. I know it doesn't always work perfectly in practice, but I assure you the people I've worked with who say this poo poo would easily be able to take their breaks if they weren't so weirdly stubborn.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When I worked at a job where you basically set your own hours (as long as they total to at least 80 hours every 2 weeks) and breaks weren't monitored or enforced in any way, my group including my boss would often have 2-3 hours of down time every day including lunch and several coffee breaks. It was by far the most productive at a job I've ever been. I very strongly prefer it to the atmosphere at my current job where the atmosphere among my peers is working non-stop whether you are at home or in the office, and while I work more now, I'm far less efficient and my productivity suffers because of it. I didn't have to work at "apeshit speed" to keep up, I just worked at natural, non-mentally-fatigued speed.

I know others can succeed in and even prefer that kind of hellish existence, but there should always at least be an option to work in whatever way is most efficient for you, and all the employer should care about is the results you produce, not how long you spend at lunch.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

I know others can succeed in and even prefer that kind of hellish existence, but there should always at least be an option to work in whatever way is most efficient for you, and all the employer should care about is the results you produce, not how long you spend at lunch.

One would think so in the age of teleworking and flex time and all the endless buzzwords about being "productive" but when all is said and done, all that matters is still how many hours you spend in the office.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Ugh, my current job is a strange kind of setup where it's just me and one other person doing this particular work. There's just enough that one person can't do it all themselves (and it's important, so if it was just one person they would pretty much never have a day off), but not enough to fill the day for two people, so we wind up with nothing to do for hours in the afternoon. We can't really do anything about it either, because it's basically waiting for reports to come in.

But we still must never be caught reading the news online or checking our phones for email when a supervisor walks by. And don't even think about bringing a crossword puzzle or homework! Work-related activities only!

That's the most annoying thing. There is literally nothing I can do, I've asked multiple times if there's something I can do and have been told "no"-- do I have to just sit here and stare at my desktop for three hours every day to be considered a good employee?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Nettles Coterie posted:

LEGALLY MANDATED breaks

Yeah, those aren't a thing in Iowa. It's fair because you're free to quit if you don't like working 12-16 hours without a 5 minute meal break!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

When I set up an event for a social group to which I belong, and a member who moved to another state months ago RSVPs that they can't go. Well no poo poo; you live two states away! I wouldn't expect you to drive several hours just to join us at a restaurant for dinner.

It shouldn't annoy me, because I know they're not doing it to be annoying. It still does.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Are you talking about an office job?

The poster seems to be talking a true lovely job like a restaurant where the pace of work is set by outside forces and there is only so much that needs doing at any one time and you can't work ahead and finish up. The kitchen is, or should be, able to run one or two people down during non-rush periods. You don't need two guys on fryer when fryer is getting one order every 10 minutes, so just go take a break or I'll have yours. Like you don't come back and have work to catch up on, someone covers you then you cover them, but man there are a lot of people like that in kitchens.

Pet peeve: Welcome to Night Vale the podcast, I've been re-listening to the early episodes to try and catch up after I stopped listening ages ago, and they've replaced the now-long-out-of-date announcements with ads. Understandable, but there's about three products hocked and four ads total. The episodes have one ad at each end and are short enough to hear two or more during my commute, meaning I sometimes get treated to listening to the same ad twice in a row. Making it worse is 3/4 are voiced by Joseph Fink who, props to a fellow goon for breaking big but, has a godawful annoying voice. High pitched, nasal, drops certain letters (ie Laura Paaamer instead of Palmer), and worst of all he heavily pops or aspirates final consonanTTSSS. Ugggghh

Also I'm remembering why I stopped listening, I cannot stand the Intern Dana plot or how everything she says is a surreal cutsie dream girl monologue. Hope the Mayor Dana arc ends up getting her eaten by Hiram McDaniels and The Faceless Old Woman. Also there are a shitload of repetitive in-jokes now. I saw a live show in 2016 that was great though so I'm hoping it picks back up again after this mediocre stretch.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Parasol Prophet posted:

Ugh, my current job is a strange kind of setup where it's just me and one other person doing this particular work. There's just enough that one person can't do it all themselves (and it's important, so if it was just one person they would pretty much never have a day off), but not enough to fill the day for two people, so we wind up with nothing to do for hours in the afternoon. We can't really do anything about it either, because it's basically waiting for reports to come in.

But we still must never be caught reading the news online or checking our phones for email when a supervisor walks by. And don't even think about bringing a crossword puzzle or homework! Work-related activities only!

That's the most annoying thing. There is literally nothing I can do, I've asked multiple times if there's something I can do and have been told "no"-- do I have to just sit here and stare at my desktop for three hours every day to be considered a good employee?

In the IT world the general advice if you don't have enough poo poo to do is to spend the downtime learning new skills so you can find a higher-paying job doing more interesting things (Also IT people like to script and automate their jobs as much as possible so they can spend more time learning new interesting poo poo but that isn't advice for everyone).

I know that if my boss A) Didn't have enough work for me to do to fill a work day and B) Mandated that I sit there doing gently caress-all during the downtime, I would do everything I could to find a better gig. That poo poo is death for someone like me. Also that speaks of a control-freak power-mad boss and I've had enough of that horseshit.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
My family members keep eating all the food I use to make a packed lunch for work and not telling me so I get up at six in the goddamn morning and discover that today I'll be eating loving cold toast and potato chips since they used up all the sandwich fixings and ate the last three apples

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Yeah, those aren't a thing in Iowa. It's fair because you're free to quit if you don't like working 12-16 hours without a 5 minute meal break!

Holy poo poo, sometimes I forget how lucky I am to live where I do. That sounds like a loving nightmare.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I saw a live show in 2016 that was great though so I'm hoping it picks back up again after this mediocre stretch.

Was it Ghost Stories? I went to that one and it was great. But I haven't listened to the actual podcast in a long time, for similar reasons... it was just becoming too much of the same thing. I've heard great things about the most recent episodes, though, and I really enjoyed the first novel, so maybe it's worth trying to pick it back up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Received email at work: "We have delivered your parcel today."

Got home from work: "Sorry, Wheat Loaf, no post today."

:argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Reminds me of at my work when I was helping someone who never recieved a piece of replacement hardware that they'd ordered. (I do tech support) - I wound up going above and beyond because I wanted to know what the gently caress was going on myself, so I found a UPS tracking number on the ticket, and found the order on the UPS website, which we don't even officially use - found that the thing had been signed for by someone she'd never heard of. I suggested that she check the room where deliveries go just in case, and she went there and actually found her item - it had arrived weeks ago she just never got informed.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tech support that just searches your complaint for key words and copy pastes from the FAQ as a response over and over, despite your attempts to clarify. My laptop is a surface book, which has a detachable screen to use as a tablet if you want to. For some reason the screen on the tablet/monitor part itself is detaching from the base (kind of peeling back so you can see inside the tablet). All I am getting in response is the FAQ on how to detach the screen to use it in tablet mode.

After giving up on words and sending a picture, I was helpfully told to take it to the nearest microsoft store (there are none in germany, and I had already stated that I live there to avoid them suggesting that and get right to the mail it in to replace it part).

I get that it's an unrewarding job and they probably have a script, but it always makes me want to strangle the guy who wrote it because it's incredibly unhelpful. At this point I just want to say gently caress it and tape the screen down so it doesn't come off anymore just to avoid having to talk to them again.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

ja ich frisse arsch

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I get irritated when people I massage are like "this is the worst you've ever felt I bet". People are such weird martyrs for having to be the worst client for a certain ailment. No, my clients who are doing the worst are the chronic cancer patients. Or the 12 year old I work on whose spine is nearly to the side of his body. You're a 34 year old woman with shoulder soreness. gently caress you

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

People who come to me for advice on how to lose weight/get into shape and then counter every single suggestion with a lame excuse for why they can't/won't do it.

Person: I want to lose weight/get in shape. What do you do?
Me: I run and lift weights.
Person: I hate to run.
Me: Well, you could walk instead. Walking at a good pace is just as good as running but not as hard on your knees.
Person: I don't have time.
Me: Do it after work.
Person: I'm too tired after work.
Me: Get up a half hour earlier in the morning.
Person: I could never do that.
Me: Do it on your lunch hour. (We have walking trails right across the street from our office).
Person: Then I'd be all sweaty and I don't want to go back to work sweaty.
Me: :psyboom:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

ja ich frisse arsch

I appreciate your subtle verb choice here

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MightyJoe36 posted:

People who come to me for advice on how to lose weight/get into shape and then counter every single suggestion with a lame excuse for why they can't/won't do it.

Person: I want to lose weight/get in shape. What do you do?
Me: I run and lift weights.
Person: I hate to run.
Me: Well, you could walk instead. Walking at a good pace is just as good as running but not as hard on your knees.
Person: I don't have time.
Me: Do it after work.
Person: I'm too tired after work.
Me: Get up a half hour earlier in the morning.
Person: I could never do that.
Me: Do it on your lunch hour. (We have walking trails right across the street from our office).
Person: Then I'd be all sweaty and I don't want to go back to work sweaty.
Me: :psyboom:

OK, but what can I do to lose weight that doesn't involve eating less or exercising more?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

Just tell them what they obviously want to hear: that what they are doing is perfect and it must be their genetics.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Tiggum posted:

OK, but what can I do to lose weight that doesn't involve eating less or exercising more?
Amputation

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2alHCNpx7A

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Speaking of UPS being lovely...

I'd ordered a smaller bag for my everyday carry to force me to bring less crap everywhere, and I got a notification that said it'd been delivered. I go outside, check the front door, the basement door that leads out to the driveway, the door to my detached garage, the entirety of the wrap-around porch. I scour every inch of space where a box of this size could conceivably be hidden - nothing.

So I spend about 30 minutes on hold with UPS customer service, and the person I eventually speak to tells me it was left at 'the barn'. It turns out that the driver had left my package at the door to a lovely, dilapidated barn at the road near the end of my driveway (the house sits back a bit from the road), not even on my property, just sorta kinda by it. It has huge holes in it, wood rotting away, clearly nobody could be living there. But sure, leave the package out in the open by this filthy rundown shack instead of the nice house at the end of the driveway :mad: I don't know if they were lazy or just stupid.

I guess my peeve is idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Solid Cake posted:

Speaking of UPS being lovely...

I'd ordered a smaller bag for my everyday carry to force me to bring less crap everywhere, and I got a notification that said it'd been delivered. I go outside, check the front door, the basement door that leads out to the driveway, the door to my detached garage, the entirety of the wrap-around porch. I scour every inch of space where a box of this size could conceivably be hidden - nothing.

So I spend about 30 minutes on hold with UPS customer service, and the person I eventually speak to tells me it was left at 'the barn'. It turns out that the driver had left my package at the door to a lovely, dilapidated barn at the road near the end of my driveway (the house sits back a bit from the road), not even on my property, just sorta kinda by it. It has huge holes in it, wood rotting away, clearly nobody could be living there. But sure, leave the package out in the open by this filthy rundown shack instead of the nice house at the end of the driveway :mad: I don't know if they were lazy or just stupid.

I guess my peeve is idiots.

On the flip side, I do same-day delivery for a courier service (not UPS) and it drives me up the loving wall when the address isn't complete. 124 Alice Ave isn't a full address here! It's 124 N or W or S or E.

Also some areas I deliver to have one main house, then 2-4 other buildings, which can be barns (don't look like a barn on the outside), a repair shop, etc. Very rarely do I get directions as to what building the box should go to. I always assume the main house, but sometimes that is noooot right.