Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
MRP forgot to consult Cameron Ling who cleared up on the night that there was nothing in it. The whole mess could have been avoided!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

thepokey posted:

MRP forgot to consult Cameron Ling who cleared up on the night that there was nothing in it. The whole mess could have been avoided!

I heard him talking on 3AW the next morning, he and Richo were literally saying he shouldn't get banned because it'll ruin Brownlow night

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

What are the odds he'll appeal and the full tribunal will discover a way for him to get off?

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It will be an interesting test of the "I don't care about the Brownlow, I just want the team to win" mantra

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NTRabbit posted:

What are the odds he'll appeal and the full tribunal will discover a way for him to get off?

I mean it's obviously going to happen. The AFL will jump through any number of hoops to get a Brownlow favourite off

Testekill fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 31, 2017

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
We've got Sydney in two weeks, gently caress appealing

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

hiddenmovement posted:

We've got Sydney in two weeks, gently caress appealing

Sydney this Friday, tigers in two weeks.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

imo Dangerfield will take the one game hit and carry on with his life

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Break out the chopsticks boys! Bad boy Dusty Brownlow winner 2017

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
They'll have to invite Dangerfield anyway to hand over the medal and it's going to be as awkward as gently caress.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

We've got Sydney this week, gently caress not appealing

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Deadly Hume posted:

They'll have to invite Dangerfield anyway to hand over the medal and it's going to be as awkward as gently caress.

Has anyone ever won back to back Brownlow medals before, and did they just pass it from one hand to the other?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

Has anyone ever won back to back Brownlow medals before, and did they just pass it from one hand to the other?

Quite a few people. Rob Harvey was the last iirc

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The AFL, being rigged as it is, will instruct the umpires to pump votes into Dusty over the next four weeks

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Good Guy Gocsy

The Deadly Hume posted:

And then James Hird with the Norm Smith medal a few days later. haha. 2017 off-field finals will be glorious.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

drunkill posted:

And then James Hird with the Norm Smith medal a few days later. haha. 2017 off-field finals will be glorious.
I had to check this was real. WTF.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

drunkill posted:

Good Guy Gocsy

Norm Smith to be won by Danger. Brownlow Medallist Dustin Martin will have the statistically worst game of his career

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

hiddenmovement posted:

Norm Smith to be won by Danger. Brownlow Medallist Dustin Martin will have the statistically worst game of his career

That would rely on Richmond winning a final

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

The Deadly Hume posted:

I thought I read somewhere that if ineligible and still an active player you're not invited to the night no matter what, even as a presenter? Not sure where I saw that but just came to mind

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

My god are people bending over to give Danger a gobby on Talking Footy

EDIT: Dirty Jobs is on the day is saved

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 31, 2017

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The cats will probably be pretty keen for Paddy to appeal, winning a brownlow would be great for their PR

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

thepokey posted:

I thought I read somewhere that if ineligible and still an active player you're not invited to the night no matter what, even as a presenter? Not sure where I saw that but just came to mind

I might have imagined it but I swear I remember footage of Sam Mitchell looking rueful while accruing quite a few votes while ineligible on a Brownlow telecast.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Sloane was there last year when he was suspended and expected to be top five

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

realbez posted:

I might have imagined it but I swear I remember footage of Sam Mitchell looking rueful while accruing quite a few votes while ineligible on a Brownlow telecast.

He wasn't at the 2011 count he nearly beat Dane Swan in, per youtube. It might have been the 2008 count, in which he would have received an automatic invite as club captain, but that one isn't on youtube.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Was Nat Fyfe invited in 2014 when he was rubbed out?

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

hmmm

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

Was Nat Fyfe invited in 2014 when he was rubbed out?

I don't think he was, they just showed lots of Pav and Sandi looking uncomfortable when Fyfe got votes.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I must be the only Geelong person who doesn't care if Dangerfield doesn't get the Brownlow this year.

I mean the GOAT Gary Ablett Snr never won it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
how many times has a player won it twice in a row

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

strap on revenge posted:

how many times has a player won it twice in a row

Six times by the looks of things:

http://www.afltables.com/afl/brownlow/brownlow_idx.html

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
They aren't bothering to challenge, anyway.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

My favourite Dangerfield related take is from Jon Ralph: "Helps add another layer to the legend of Patty. Took one for the team, prepared to sacrifice for that elusive flag"

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So who is taking bets on how long Deledio lasts in his return before his hamstrings explode

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

thepokey posted:

My favourite Dangerfield related take is from Jon Ralph: "Helps add another layer to the legend of Patty. Took one for the team, prepared to sacrifice for that elusive flag"

We're all the football journalists massive dorks growing up and just want to be best mates with the "cool" guy?

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
There's a fairly high representation of spindly pencilnecks in the AFL journalist community

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

AFL journalists "We need to take a stand against thuggery, and on field violence. We need to protect players from sloppy and ill disciplined acts that can cause injury. Except of course if said acts are perpetrated by a 'good bloke' or a good player in the hunt to win an award."

gently caress that. Nothing against Danger, but he laid a dangerous tackle that caused injury to his opponent. Others have gotten more for less.

Of course all the fellating and gnashing of teeth will end up being funny when Danger finishes 2nd to Dusty anyway.

Testekill posted:

So who is taking bets on how long Deledio lasts in his return before his hamstrings explode

As long as O'Meara's knee lasted. So, not long.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Wouldn't be surprised if the AFL instructed the umps to not give Danger any more votes this year and to pile some more on Dusty, just to make sure it turns out ok /conspiracy theories.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Having a floating draw before a pre-finals bye doesn't really make much sense if you're giving the Crows the death slot.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Spedman posted:

We're all the football journalists massive dorks growing up and just want to be best mates with the "cool" guy?

I caught the bit on Footy Classified last night; Hutchy basically outlined that he thought there should be one rule for stars and one rule for everyone else, because he's incapable of viewing anything without his media lens, and that the fairest part should be removed from the Brownlow; Lloyd and Caro both thought it was a dangerous tackle, the rule was right, and he was correct to be rubbed out for it, and Lyon prevaricated with "that's the way the rule currently is" because he's never stuck his neck out to make an opinion on anything in his life.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Having a floating draw before a pre-finals bye doesn't really make much sense if you're giving the Crows the death slot.

Why the gently caress do we get Sunday twilight while the Hawks and Bulldogs who won't even be in the finals get Friday night?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

NTRabbit posted:

Why the gently caress do we get Sunday twilight while the Hawks and Bulldogs who won't even be in the finals get Friday night?!

the best bloke in the afl is retiring and deserves the grandest stage (etihad stadium)

• Locked thread