Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the last one was uhh, accidental or "accidental" dnc hack tor node hoster/operator who had bunch of dudes rappel into his windows, guns blazing, in the middle of the night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

upside is the protection provided by the iron fist of dr. doom

latvia (along its neighbors) is a popular outsourcing target for tech companies in scandinavia, competent education system and people sensibly motivated by a steady paycheck doing professional no-nonsense work

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

heck, one of the better respected it workplaces here is accenture. all you got to do is drop 20k on junior, 30k on senior.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
is that 30k yearly?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

is that 30k yearly?

yes, euros before tax

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

you could maybe make it to 30k neto with some mister big pants manager type of affair, but that should be cap for professional computers in latvia, and absolutely out of loving reach for the general population. computer janitor salaries start at larger figure than majority of jobs end with

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
drat i dont have a latvian embassy nearby. gotta get me some of that cheap labor

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ran the numbers on what employer pays a worker with a single dependant so that the latter earns 30k euro neto, and it's 62k usd. most are much lower

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
How many potato is that?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

emoji posted:

How many potato is that?

drinking or eating potatoes?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

drat i dont have a latvian embassy nearby. gotta get me some of that cheap labor

p. much. in fact, hire an eastern european programmer over an american one even at the same cost i'd say, the average outcome is usually better.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Doc Block posted:

why did they release the homepod firmware in the first place? is there some group of developers that got early access to it and are gonna make apps for it or something?

so much for doubling down on secrecy, tim :argh:

Steve would've fired the entire homepod firmware team or the build team over this.
they pushed an internal firmware build to the public beta - and never bothered to take it down

occam's razor: they're just that dumb; at least they're not spoiling their own reveals with scheduled promoted tweets this time

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

a hundred people clipping their nails all at once

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

exploded mummy posted:

a hundred people clipping their nails all at once

*takes a huge bite of an apple and chews with open mouth*

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Dislike button posted:

*takes a huge bite of an apple and chews with open mouth*

hey old boss gently caress right off with that poo poo

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the last one was uhh, accidental or "accidental" dnc hack tor node hoster/operator who had bunch of dudes rappel into his windows, guns blazing, in the middle of the night

uh

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

upside is the protection provided by the iron fist of dr. doom

latvia (along its neighbors) is a popular outsourcing target for tech companies in scandinavia, competent education system and people sensibly motivated by a steady paycheck doing professional no-nonsense work

latvia sounds cool & good

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

drinking or eating potatoes?

is same potato

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

after trying to recall that conversation better, i cant say it deffo was dnc or other american politics. however, it was a tor end node that got caught red handed in something lovely enough for americans to take interest, yet again

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i feel my home region in 20 years will be like romania, unknown grimscape shithole that bunch of american cyber-bodies are intimately familiar with. like, it wasnt even half year ago, i think, when [url=https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/27/facebook-and-google-were-victims-of-a-100-million-dollar-phishing-scam-fortune.htmlthis happened[/url] out of my college town

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i feel my home region in 20 years will be like romania, unknown grimscape shithole that bunch of american cyber-bodies are intimately familiar with. like, it wasnt even half year ago, i think, when [url=https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/27/facebook-and-google-were-victims-of-a-100-million-dollar-phishing-scam-fortune.htmlthis happened[/url] out of my college town

romania is cool & good, they've got cool castles and good wine

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I buy Latvian routers. Some of them are white and if you squint real hard could look like an Apple product.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
mikrotik supremacy

seriously, i love them shits

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

thebigcow posted:

I buy Latvian routers. Some of them are white and if you squint real hard could look like an Apple product.

my telecom sent me a Huawei router and I'm not comfortable with it

it's also white, but no one would think it was made by apple

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Boiled Water posted:

my telecom sent me a Huawei router and I'm not comfortable with it

it's also white, but no one would think it was made by apple

enjoy everything you do being backdoored to china

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Considering China is Apple's biggest market, you'd think they'd tweak the routines a little if they resorted to using the eye area

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sniep posted:

enjoy everything you do being backdoored to china

lol

the largest danish telecom exclusively uses Huawei networking equipment

the second largest uses equipment produces by a company partly owned by the israeli intelligence service mossad.

together they own all the hardware. there is no escape

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Boiled Water posted:

the second largest uses equipment produces by a company partly owned by the israeli intelligence service mossad.

sagem?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

Considering China is Apple's biggest market, you'd think they'd tweak the routines a little if they resorted to using the eye area

:ssh: that's an anroid phone :ssh:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sniep posted:

enjoy being backdoored

txt me :wink:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

comverse/mavenir probably

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Boiled Water posted:

lol

the largest danish telecom exclusively uses Huawei networking equipment

together they own all the hardware. there is no escape

well i guess there is a least worst option

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mishaq posted:

comverse/mavenir probably

i didn't know they did CPE

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

infernal machines posted:

i didn't know they did CPE

i didnt interpret the statement as involving CPE

could also be amdocs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh yeah, i was thinking of boiled water's post about his huawei router

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Binary Badger posted:

I'm a low-level nobody, but I'd hazard to guess based on the purchase of the company that did the tech the MS Kinect is based on would mean it's doing more of a 3D face/head map, and not just a retina scan. would make variations easier to compensate for. I'm really hoping (again, with no personal knowledge of the final product) that it's wide angle enough that if I have it on my desk next to me as I sit at my desk, that it would know I'm there and it's me and it's ready to go and "unlocked" as soon as I move my attention from the iMac to the phone. I'll get a watch with the next hardware cycle and I imagine that could assist in locked/unlocked based on proximity, but it'd be nice if it just always worked.

as long as the implementation is more than a novelty (like all of Samsung's nonsense implementations over the last couple years), I'll be happy. there's always a usability aspect that doesn't leak even if the hardware does when it comes to these things. either way, 6 weeks or so (hopefully) on this iPhone 6.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i too hope my telephone remains in a constant standby state IR scanning the area several feet around it for my face in case i happen to glance at it. thank god for my wireless charging mat that my phone now rests on all day to remain powered for more than an hour

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cremnobpost: aapl q3 45.4 billion in revenue, 8.7 bil in profit, ipad sales up 20% year over year, mac sales up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

qirex posted:

cremnobpost: aapl q3 45.4 billion in revenue, 8.7 bil in profit, ipad sales up 20% year over year, mac sales up

they're the only good computers left so naturally

• Locked thread