Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

What game is this? War Thunder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Two Finger posted:

update on spec ops the line: still owns

Ew.

Spec Ops: The Line is what you get when a dev team tries to make an edgy triple-a shooter, but produces an overwrought turd instead.

They desperately try to claim the game is intentionally lovely, and the clumsy controls, absurd characterizations, illusion of choice, and faux-meaningful navel gazing are all meant to be subversive.

Oh boy, the commandos of the player's Delta Force team are sure going to get into shrieking arguments in the middle of battle, when they aren't crying over civcas. This must be their first engagement. And an entire division of 19 year olds who enlisted to pay for college/escape their shithole hometowns will gladly commit treason to play Peace Corps in the Middle East.

I've never seen evidence the devs were trying to do anything better than a third person Modern Warfare, but hosed it up entertainingly.

It's like when Hideo Kojima said that Quiet's design in MGS5 was super meaningful, and gamers would feel bad for laughing at her skimpy clothes. :lol: Kojima likes T&A. The Spec Ops dev team wanted to make Apocalypse Now: The Game (but lovely). Just be honest, dudes.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 29, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I disagree, it hit its marks with me, but as the old saw goes, there's no accounting for taste :)

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The new Zelda game is going up there with Witcher 3 for best games of all time, they seriously knocked it out of the park with this one

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Two Finger posted:

I disagree, it hit its marks with me, but as the old saw goes, there's no accounting for taste :)

Fair enough.

I don't actually mind the navel gazing/hallucinations/breakdown/draaaaaaama, I just wish the controls were tighter.

Game's a good few years old, but the twist is novel enough that I'll spoil it.

The first (and only) time I played the campaign, I was convinced there would be some way to negotiate with the adversarial US forces, so I played the entire game purposefully avoiding every kill that I could. I used melee to knock enemy soldiers down, then ran past them before they could recover. The player still needs to kill a whole bunch of enemies to escape from any given deathtrap and proceed to the next level. Similarly, there's no way to avoid using the white phosphorous. BUT! I gave up at the end of the game, in the only true choice the player is provided, so I still feel like an okay person.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Arc Light posted:

It's like when Hideo Kojima said that Quiet's design in MGS5 was super meaningful, and gamers would feel bad for laughing at her skimpy clothes. :lol: Kojima likes T&A. The Spec Ops dev team wanted to make Apocalypse Now: The Game (but lovely). Just be honest, dudes.

Hey, she would have suffocated if she wore clothes. Don't make fun of her disability.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Handsome Ralph posted:

What game is this? War Thunder?

Ya. I reinstalled it after not playing for a long time.

Low tier tanks are still fun.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

This is all your fault.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I'm finishing up old games since I have a month of summer left and I'm playing Resident Evil 7 right now and uhhh.... that change in setting certainly came outta loving nowhere.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Curious how gimmicky the VR is in that game. It seemed to be well praised

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It would probably be pretty good. 2spooky4me though. But playing it on a tv you can see that they had VR in mind.

Best atmosphere for a survival horror game since the original Dead Space though.

My biggest complaint is that I run around in circles looking for items to get to the next part of the game a little more than I would like, but that's most survival horror games I think.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Like legit spooky? Bam in your face poo poo? Running from zombies? I never really got how games could be straight scary to people but hey

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It's not like I'm gonna lose sleep over it. But there are some really effective areas that are creepy. Some good jump scares, but not too many that the game relies on them.

There's a little girl in the game. She's probably the scariest part for me.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Like legit spooky? Bam in your face poo poo? Running from zombies? I never really got how games could be straight scary to people but hey

I can't play resident evil without having minor heart attacks.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I found the intro/demo legit creepy and can imagine it being loving scary in vr, but it very quickly goes full retard crazy-redneck twilight zone. There's still creepy stuff but the atmosphere just isn't the same. Which is pretty much the same problem I find with horror games in general.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
re7 couldve been scary, but then you get a shotgun and a machinegun and hordes of lame mold monsters to gun down

still a cool game and they really nail the creepy atmosphere

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-metal-gear-solid-5-update-coming-soon-adds-pla/1100-6452090/

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

meh

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Finish the loving story or gtfo

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Hey at least he hasn't abandoned it yet...

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Kojima is gone. Real Metal Gear is done permanently.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
thank god

I had enough of weird vampires and plots that went no where

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Third World Reggin posted:

thank god

I had enough of weird vampires and plots that went no where

fite me irl see what happens

nanomachines, son

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

:toughguy:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Mike-o posted:

fite me irl see what happens

nanomachines, son

Too expensive. I can't afford to fight you in this WAR ECONOMY.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Dishonored 2 spoiler.

Why the gently caress would you wait to unleash arguably the coolest mechanic of your game (time travel) until the second to last mission? God drat, Titanfall 2 did this perfectly and I feel like I would have loved this game more had they brought this out earlier in the game.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
For once, lovely AI actually kinda fits the theme:

https://streamable.com/w7u2x

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Missionary Positron posted:

For once, lovely AI actually kinda fits the theme:

https://streamable.com/w7u2x

Wtf game is that

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's Dying Light, and despite that snippet, it's actually a pretty good game if you don't get motion sick.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

If I didn't enjoy SpaceChem, will I enjoy Factorio?
Best way I can sum up SpaceChem gameplay is: etch-a-sketch flowchart simulator.
On the other hand, a widely despised/ignored metroidvania game somehow just clicked for me.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I've never been able to get dying light to run properly...

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

65 hours into Persona 5

p fun so far

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Dying Light and I think Singularity were the only two games that have ever given me motion sickness.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

There are two things I turn off before playing any game: motion blur and film grain. I think they make things looks worse.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

New PUBG patch dropped; cars now have horns and the SKS is getting a lower rail, among other things.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

suboptimal posted:

New PUBG patch dropped; cars now have horns and the SKS is getting a lower rail, among other things.

Also hot pants and skirts and blue high tops in crates. Those are my top patch notes.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

suboptimal posted:

Patch drops Thursday, hits the test server tomorrow

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Also hot pants and skirts and blue high tops in crates. Those are my top patch notes.

wanna wear hot pants and punk boots on my PUBG dude

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

suboptimal posted:

New PUBG patch dropped; cars now have horns

loving finally. time to take it out of early access

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ElMaligno posted: