Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I find that my boardgaming tastes overlap with Drive Thru Review guy's more than any other reviewer's. And despite the fact that I'm obviously a nerd on some level, I still find SUSD (and No Pun Intended) staggeringly unfunny.

It's interesting to note that they are unanimous in their praise for Tigris & Euphrates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

The Narrator posted:

drat, now that I think about it, a galaxy truck-themed cake that has the pieces "break off" (people cut pieces out) would be an awesome cake gimmick for a fan.

Follow it up with a Galaxy Trucker ship piñata :shepface:

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

I find that my boardgaming tastes overlap with Drive Thru Review guy's more than any other reviewer's. And despite the fact that I'm obviously a nerd on some level, I still find SUSD (and No Pun Intended) staggeringly unfunny.

It's interesting to note that they are unanimous in their praise for Tigris & Euphrates.

It seems like quinns has come down from his Party games Trip recently and likes eurogames again, like t&e and Great Western Trail. Good for him.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I'm not defending the Humor or the weird surface-level sjw-isms though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

discount cathouse posted:

I'm not defending the Humor or the weird surface-level sjw-isms though.

The what?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Quinns startet caring about Identity politics issues in boardgames, which would be a good thing If he was smart enough to offer a meaningful feminist cririque or whatever, instead of going "this Elfriede jelinek book doesnt pass the bechdel Test - 1/10."

Like you could actually discuss the question of it's better to show the history of slavery in games about Colonialism or to ignore the historical context, but he isn't interested in those questions.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

discount cathouse posted:

Quinns startet caring about Identity politics issues in boardgames, which would be a good thing If he was smart enough to offer a meaningful feminist cririque or whatever, instead of going "this Elfriede jelinek book doesnt pass the bechdel Test - 1/10."

Like you could actually discuss the question of it's better to show the history of slavery in games about Colonialism or to ignore the historical context, but he isn't interested in those questions.

On the other hand using Sjw makes it seem like your hating him for not being a white supremacist dickbag.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I thought they did a good job in their Istanbul review, and I'd like to see more of that, not less.

Rumda posted:

On the other hand using Sjw makes it seem like your hating him for not being a white supremacist dickbag.

Also that.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Yeah be careful using words that are pretty heavily coded by nazi types y'all

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

((()))

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

At least it's got better female representation than Star Wars Monopoly...

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

That art is awesome. Hire that guy for a real game.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
The blonde ape is a nazi

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Wait... the Statue of Liberty...?

Edit: oh my god... it was Earth all along...

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Their Instanbul and CaH reviews are my favorite of the bunch - though I did find bizarre that in one review (TotANs or Kemet, can't remember) Quinns did this whole "okay disregard my egyptian custom, it's racist) but he used the custom gag again in another video???

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

The Narrator posted:

Wait... the Statue of Liberty...?

Edit: oh my god... it was Earth all along...

Uh spoilers duhhhhhh

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Super loving rough mock up but this is my idea:

Missing a pet that has all purple needs sitting in it, as it should have.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Sloober posted:

Missing a pet that has all purple needs sitting in it, as it should have.
The best option would be fiery fairy, the unkeepable.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated! I might pick up Tales of the Arabian Nights next.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not going to lie - that board and box are loving beautiful.

WTB Agricola Planet of the Apes edition.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Tekopo posted:

Super loving rough mock up but this is my idea:

I thought this was a magic eye picture at first.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tekopo posted:

The best option would be fiery fairy, the unkeepable.

I've seen it

I've seen a lot of stuff. I consider myself pretty good at teaching folks the risks inherent to specific pets/cages starting out but some people just want to watch the world (and their shops when they take wreckie) burn.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

<----

Sloober posted:

I've seen it

I've seen a lot of stuff. I consider myself pretty good at teaching folks the risks inherent to specific pets/cages starting out but some people just want to watch the world (and their shops when they take wreckie) burn.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I thought this was a magic eye picture at first.

I looked for a couple minutes then gave up.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

dropkickpikachu posted:

Yeah be careful using words that are pretty heavily coded by nazi types y'all

Unless you are a nazi type, then please use those terms so that I know to make you feel unwelcome here

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

EngineerJoe posted:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated! I might pick up Tales of the Arabian Nights next.

Why not get a game instead?

Seriously, Tales of the Arabian Nights is a Choose Your Own Adventure-style experience generator. You might enjoy it, but any decisions you make are overridden by random events. It's a lousy game-playing experience and it's lousy literature.

Recommended alternatives:

Dixit or Mysterium or Deception: Murder in Hong Kong if you like the idea of being creative with your friends but want some actual game along with that.

Eldritch Horror or Mansions of Madness if you want a lot of story but still a strategic challenge.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

EngineerJoe posted:

For the same experience but much faster play 80 days on ios (don't know about Android) or Steam. It's a fantastic adventure generator in about 5% of the time.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Jedit posted:

There are two big box expansions for Orleans, and Invasion is about as far away from mandatory as you can get. Trade and Intrigue is the essential one.

Also I just about fit everything for Orleans and T&I into the original box, including the five-player kit, the bling kit and all the Neue Ortskarten tiles. Invasion sits at home in its own box, along with the original event tiles.

I think the confusion re: Orleans and five players is that the TMG reprint contained materials for five by default while it was an addon for the original DLP edition.

I have the DLP edition. I imported the entire game before it was available in the US because I wanted it that badly. I also had to get the upgraded wooden meeples for it because the 5th player expansion stuff I had was linen finished rather than the smooth finish from the base game, and you shouldn't be able to tell what you're drawing from the bag, ideally. I don't have Trade and Intrigue yet.

Unrelated to the very good game Orleans, assuming I have nothing for Race for the Galaxy, which expansions should I buy to start out?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedit posted:

There are two big box expansions for Orleans, and Invasion is about as far away from mandatory as you can get. Trade and Intrigue is the essential one.

Also I just about fit everything for Orleans and T&I into the original box, including the five-player kit, the bling kit and all the Neue Ortskarten tiles. Invasion sits at home in its own box, along with the original event tiles.

I think the confusion re: Orleans and five players is that the TMG reprint contained materials for five by default while it was an addon for the original DLP edition.
Thanks. I did get the TMG kickstarter one and thought that was just a reprint of the original one but with fancier components. I was holding back with Invasion because after reading about it, the only thing that seemed to add was a coop variant which I don't care much for. T&I does look intriguing (heh) because it has variant deeds and events.

Kruller posted:

I have the DLP edition. I imported the entire game before it was available in the US because I wanted it that badly. I also had to get the upgraded wooden meeples for it because the 5th player expansion stuff I had was linen finished rather than the smooth finish from the base game, and you shouldn't be able to tell what you're drawing from the bag, ideally. I don't have Trade and Intrigue yet.

What the? Why would they have meeples for what is essentially a deckbuilding game? Are the meeples color coded but the same shape?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
So today Stonemaier announced the Charterstone Recharge Pack, basically a pack of stickers and whatever else is necessary to play through Charterstone again in a box for $30. The board will be double-sided, meaning with one board you can play the campaign twice. It seems a little weird to me since he has been pretty adamant on the whole "it'll be a fun game to play on the completed board" thing too much it's interesting at least.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ The game is meant to be complete after X plays, at which point you have a unique game. Presumably using the Recharge Kit means that you can repeat the process and have two unique games.

Chill la Chill posted:

Why would they have meeples for what is essentially a deckbuilding game? Are the meeples color coded but the same shape?

Yes.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 1, 2017

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks. I did get the TMG kickstarter one and thought that was just a reprint of the original one but with fancier components. I was holding back with Invasion because after reading about it, the only thing that seemed to add was a coop variant which I don't care much for. T&I does look intriguing (heh) because it has variant deeds and events.

What the? Why would they have meeples for what is essentially a deckbuilding game? Are the meeples color coded but the same shape?

Yeah they're color coded but the same shape, with stickers you can put on them. You can't tell them apart in the bag, and they're actually a lot easier to read across the table for what other people are doing. It's one of those totally unnecessary upgrades that feels nice when you have it, like metal coins for games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Paper money supremacy.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The best money is Millennium Blades' fat stacks of cash, even though they take ages to put together the first time.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
TBH I can't imagine charterstone will be good considering the fact that 1. legacy games tend to accrue mechanics over time, so first playthroughs are always a little lackluster in terms of complexity and 2. steiegmeyer always oversimplified his designs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Anyone have experience with the Containers game going on kickstarter right now? I wasn't really interested because I don't have the space for that giant thing but my friend is and I am very willing to play it if it's any good.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's been out of print for a while so there's some 'cult of the unavailable' around it but its supposed to be one of the most interactive and dynamic economies you can have in an auction game while being waaaaay less complicated than an 18xx.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Anyone have experience with the Containers game going on kickstarter right now? I wasn't really interested because I don't have the space for that giant thing but my friend is and I am very willing to play it if it's any good.

It's reputed to be one of the best hardcore-but-not-18XX-level-hardcore economic games there is.

I have heard, though, that it is far better with 4 players than 5, because with 5 there are no unused information, so there's much less uncertainty.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Chill la Chill posted:

You really need four. And you need a commitment to keep playing it, which is why I sold my copy. First time players will have to be handheld through the game unless you want the economy to tank because it's nearly impossible to figure out the game on the first play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Container is good at any player count 3-5, but Mercury games has been terrible in their campaign for the new version, with the unnecessarily larger ships and higher cost. Also it turns out that it's not an actual reprint since it comes with fewer containers than the original, which means a game tilted more towards short-term strategy if you're playing it 5p.