Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Windows server makes it trivial to add reservations, although I guess you'd kind of be assigning IPs willy-nilly...
Having your IPs in a set order or reserving certain spans to certain devices is a pointless exercise though. Set up your DNS properly and stop thinking about IP numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

evobatman posted:

At a previous job, if you didn't lock your laptop to your desk and the security team saw that it sat there unattended while you were away, they would just grab it. You then had to go and explain to them why you hadn't locked it down and how you would never do it again.

I've tried getting traction to implement this at my other jobs, but for some reason nobody wants to do it.

at my current job, if anybody touches my computer, i scream at them

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

evobatman posted:

At a previous job, if you didn't lock your laptop to your desk and the security team saw that it sat there unattended while you were away, they would just grab it. You then had to go and explain to them why you hadn't locked it down and how you would never do it again.

I've tried getting traction to implement this at my other jobs, but for some reason nobody wants to do it.

How big was that company?

If someone tried this stunt on me, that someone would find themselves without a job in short order.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Wibla posted:

How big was that company?

If someone tried this stunt on me, that someone would find themselves without a job in short order.

Depends what the policies are. If the policy is to lock your laptop when you are gone, and you don't, that's on you.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Depends what the policies are. If the policy is to lock your laptop when you are gone, and you don't, that's on you.

Yeah, I was referring to my current work situation. I used to work in the navy before, and that was (obviously) a lot stricter. With good reason.

We work with critical public infrastructure, so I've wanted to restrict access to all data relating to them, but haven't had much luck as of yet. Not sure if it's worth dying on that hill either...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Wibla posted:

Yeah, I was referring to my current work situation. I used to work in the navy before, and that was (obviously) a lot stricter. With good reason.

We work with critical public infrastructure, so I've wanted to restrict access to all data relating to them, but haven't had much luck as of yet. Not sure if it's worth dying on that hill either...

Perform a very well documented fighting retreat, so when you're on the nightly news, you can say 'I tried my best, but leadership didn't want to hear anything about it, and refused to budget for any of it'.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

evobatman posted:

I feel like better physical security at the doors and good camera coverage are a better solution than these dumb locks. Seems like there are a very wide range of non-petty options to try.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Dumb locks are cheaper than cameras and door security. Always the cheapest option is tried first.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Collateral Damage posted:

Having your IPs in a set order or reserving certain spans to certain devices is a pointless exercise though. Set up your DNS properly and stop thinking about IP numbers.

It's insane how hard it is to convince people of this. Resolve by hostname and all your problems are solved! But some people straight up don't understand why or come up with stupid reasons for reserving 30 IP addresses and using static IPs for everything.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We use static IP's for printers, servers, etc. Been like this for 15 years and change is hard.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

GreenNight posted:

We use static IP's for printers, servers, etc. Been like this for 15 years and change is hard.

We can't change printers to DHCP because our internal programmers don't trust DNS :downs:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So at our radio station, IT is part of Engineering, which tends to be a do-all. From the actual broadcasting infrastructure to hauling up printers and copiers, the latter because we're a union building and if the delivery guys don't have a union card they aren't allowed to work in the building. We also do some basic repairs and stuff.

A ticket came in...

To: Engineering Department
Subject: FW: Garbage Bags
Date: 8/1/17, 9:34 AM

quote:

To: Engineering Department Director
Subject: Garbage Bags
Date: 8/1/17, 9:32 AM

Good Morning Director,

The 2 boxes of Garbage bags are in the mailroom.

The line between computer janitor and literal janitor blurs a bit, in the wrong direction :ohdear:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

evobatman posted:

At my current job, if you dont lock your computer when you walk away from your desk, anyone on your team can call you out and you have to buy doughnuts for the team the next day.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

At my current job, if you dont lock your computer when you walk away from your desk, anyone on your team can call you out and you have to buy doughnuts for the team the next day.

If I can't expense them then no.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Way to not be a team player.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

milk milk lemonade posted:

It's insane how hard it is to convince people of this. Resolve by hostname and all your problems are solved! But some people straight up don't understand why or come up with stupid reasons for reserving 30 IP addresses and using static IPs for everything.

It took our IT a while to come around, but it finally happened. We use Windows DHCP/DNS. Device tells DHCP its hostname, DHCP updates DNS. We do use reservations on a handful of devices due to some software that doesn't support hostname entry, so those devices always have the same IP.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

milk milk lemonade posted:

Because Macs don't like to add printers via hostname.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

We can't change printers to DHCP because our internal programmers don't trust DNS :downs:

The latest Reddit IT meme is blaming everything on DNS. Apparently name resolution is an arcane process ruining everything.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

Due to lack of donuts, computers now lock after 1 minute of inactivity.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MJP posted:

So at our radio station, IT is part of Engineering, which tends to be a do-all. From the actual broadcasting infrastructure to hauling up printers and copiers, the latter because we're a union building and if the delivery guys don't have a union card they aren't allowed to work in the building. We also do some basic repairs and stuff.

A ticket came in...

To: Engineering Department
Subject: FW: Garbage Bags
Date: 8/1/17, 9:34 AM

The line between computer janitor and literal janitor blurs a bit, in the wrong direction :ohdear:

Sound the larchesdanrew klaxon.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Wibla posted:

Just casually let some pentester/Black hat/homeless person tailgate someone in and see what happens when a laptop goes missing. Pretty sure policy will change soon after.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

Sound the larchesdanrew klaxon.

My boss gave me carte blanche to do absolutely nothing when the "please fix X" or other non-IT requests come in. My co-workers on the radio side are usually the ones expected to do those, and I offer to help them if they ever need extra hands.

I'm less concerned about asinine tasks when I think about what's going to happen with the terrestrial radio industry or how I'd grow my career when I'm basically the guy who runs IT (my boss is my escalation point and budget approver, but I sorta have free reign within reason) without having to move to the corporate HQ which is in a whole other state elsewhere in the country.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Sickening posted:

Your options are this or eat a write up for your lax personal security. Bonus points involved the desktop and boot up sound getting changed to something suitably attention grabbing.

The people who do this poo poo leave wide open admin and root access consoles all the loving time, there's no excuse not to loving slap WIN+L every time you leave your desk.

How many conversations has this thread seen about allowing physical access to people just because they looked like they were supposed to be there?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

Your options are this or eat a write up for your lax personal security. Bonus points involved the desktop and boot up sound getting changed to something suitably attention grabbing.

The people who do this poo poo leave wide open admin and root access consoles all the loving time, there's no excuse not to loving slap WIN+L every time you leave your desk.

How many conversations has this thread seen about allowing physical access to people just because they looked like they were supposed to be there?

So you mean address employee behavior concerns the normal way? Count me in. And when it comes to locking your computer, nobody is perfect despite the few that think they are. You want to do what you can to curb the reckless ones, but if you aren't using automatic locking policies to supplement you aren't doing yourself any favors.

I am just not in favor for digging into my employees pockets for minor behavior issues.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 1, 2017

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

At any of my previous jobs, if you left your computer unlocked, there was a nonzero chance:
- your Facebook status was changed to 'I like to touch little boys'
- your Outlook sent an email declaring you'd bring cake for everyone the next working day
- your desktop background was reversed, icons hidden etc
- something more boring happened, like a stern warning from the head IT

At my current job, they've instated a 'clean desk' policy a few months back, so I'm ready to start shennanigans. :getin:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
At my job, if you leave your computer unlocked, people don't loving touch it.

it's not your computer. don't loving touch it.

If it's regularly unlocked I might send out an email asking them politely to lock it because we're all goddamn adults here

you psychopaths

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nothing bad happens here but it'll only take one incident of someone doing something malicious for that policy to change.

We really should be firing people who consistently do it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Merijn posted:

At any of my previous jobs, if you left your computer unlocked, there was a nonzero chance:
- your Facebook status was changed to 'I like to touch little boys'
- your Outlook sent an email declaring you'd bring cake for everyone the next working day
- your desktop background was reversed, icons hidden etc
- something more boring happened, like a stern warning from the head IT

At my current job, they've instated a 'clean desk' policy a few months back, so I'm ready to start shennanigans. :getin:

This is how people actually learn.

In the Navy we'd post a coming out letter to the department heads from whoever left their email unlocked.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

This is how people actually learn.

In the Navy we'd post a coming out letter to the department heads from whoever left their email unlocked.

People can and do learn from methods that don't involve embarrassment or harassment.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

At my job, if you leave your computer unlocked, people don't loving touch it.

it's not your computer. don't loving touch it.

If it's regularly unlocked I might send out an email asking them politely to lock it because we're all goddamn adults here

you psychopaths

I also find that using someone else's access to do stuff is not acceptable.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sickening posted:

People can and do learn from methods that don't involve embarrassment or harassment.

This existence of this thread has determined this is a lie.

Sickening posted:

I also find that using someone else's access to do stuff is not acceptable.

I'll be sure to pass your finding on to some black hats and such. I'm sure they'll take them into consideration.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

I'll be sure to pass your finding on to some black hats and such. I'm sure they'll take them into consideration.

God drat this is a clever post. :bravo:

So loving edgy.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Raerlynn posted:

holy poo poo you're right

the only way to stop black hats is to publicly embarrass and borderline sexually harass employees until their moral is so low and paranoia is so high they can't help but to lock their computer every time they look away from it

this is the true answer to IT security

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Raerlynn posted:

Everyone knows the real way to make sure your stuff is secure is to build up such an image of evil and hatred that you alienate all of the people in your company and no one wants to come within ten feet of you or your desk. :smuggo:

e: I have admittedly put one of those infinite Windows Update screen sites on a coworker's unlocked computer once, but that was because we're friends and we both thought it was a) harmless and b) funny.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 1, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh you didn't want to be stabbed? I'll be sure to tell all of the murderers out there, I'm sure they'll take that into consideration.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

I forgot to lock my PC for 5 minutes on the last day before I got out of the Navy, and a fellow enlisted saw it fit to send a prank 'goodbye' mail to the whole boat.

Not my idea of fun, and the reaming the enlisted got when the CO found out who did it probably set a new Navy record.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

holy poo poo you're right

the only way to stop black hats is to publicly embarrass and borderline sexually harass employees until their moral is so low and paranoia is so high they can't help but to lock their computer every time they look away from it

this is the true answer to IT security

So you don't lock your car and house up every day because it's good security, you do it out of paranoia? And that causes you such severe distress? Oh my God, how the gently caress do you function?

There are bad actors all the loving time. The first time someone grabs an unsecured terminal and recreates the Sony breach in your shop, you can be drat sure the person who left their poo poo open will be held accountable for the damage done. If it distresses you so to exercise even the most basic of security functions, to secure the poo poo you are given to do your job, then I have to wonder what else you half-rear end.

Kazinsal posted:

Everyone knows the real way to make sure your stuff is secure is to build up such an image of evil and hatred that you alienate all of the people in your company and no one wants to come within ten feet of you or your desk. :smuggo:

Clearly that's what I'm doing by insisting you lock your poo poo up and not leave multiple root terminals and domain admin sessions open. :rolleyes:

Raerlynn fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 1, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

"My black hat friends"

What's a dumb thing to even put out there. Let me tell you about the scumbags I am proud to know...

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
We don't do anything overly embarrassing at work, but backgrounds have been known to be changed to various My Little Pony themes and the like.

Only within IT, because we should know better. C levels won't let us institute a timed lockout policy company wide because it's so haaaaaaaaaarrrrrdddd to type your password.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

DigitalMocking posted:

We don't do anything overly embarrassing at work, but backgrounds have been known to be changed to various My Little Pony themes and the like.

Only within IT, because we should know better. C levels won't let us institute a timed lockout policy company wide because it's so haaaaaaaaaarrrrrdddd to type your password.

We actually have a 15 or 30 minute lock out, but people still manage to forget their password all the time, despite them typing it 3-4 times a day, 5 days a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Raerlynn posted:

So you don't lock your car and house up every day because it's good security, you do it out of paranoia? And that causes you such severe distress? Oh my God, how the gently caress do you function?

There are bad actors all the loving time. The first time someone grabs an unsecured terminal and recreates the Sony breach in your shop, you can be drat sure the person who left their poo poo open will be held accountable for the damage done. If it distresses you so to exercise even the most basic of security functions, to secure the poo poo you are given to do your job, then I have to wonder what else you half-rear end.

Hey good post and all but you're still being terribly obtuse.

I lock my car. I don't check my neighbor to make sure he locked his car, and if I find it unlocked, I wouldn't fill it with shaving cream because he's not being safe. I might knock on his door if I found his garage door was open all night, just to be polite.

And similarly, if my neighbor decided to spraypaint my garage because I left it open overnight instead of nicely reminding me about bad guys in the neighborhood, I most certainly would report him to the proper authorities.

Vandalizing your coworkers because they don't follow security practices is not ok you fuckwit, try being an adult

• Locked thread