Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

angor posted:

I think they actually could've done with a touch more liquid in the mix. Will soak for a full 24 hours next time (this was 15) and maybe up the onion slightly. They were incredibly crispy/crunch on the outside which was really nice. Overall I was pretty drat pleased with them!

Recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuparoni
Nov 2, 2016

Just... hee hee
Made some pretty noice fried chicken.
- Got about 6 wings and 4 legs
- Marinated for 10 minutes in 3/4 of a lemon worth of juice and a handful of kosher salt.
- Added to the marinade half a cup of olive oil, a cup of greek yogurt, a tablespoon each of garam masala, paprika, chilli powder, minced ginger, garlic, about 3 broken up star anise and about 5 torn dried sichuan chillies. Marinaded it for another 30 minutes.
- Fried it on medium high until cooked through
- Let it cool down to room temp
- Egg wash and flour with basil, oregano and cilantro
- Deep fried each piece for a few seconds
It was just salty enough and the spice blend gave it a nice warmth. Probably next time I make it though, I'll throw in a lot more chillies. The yogurt really cuts into the heat. Maybe fresh chillies are better for marinades.

Stuparoni fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 27, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Toast the spices and chilis before you put them in the marinade.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

chana masala and spice stuffed okra from earlier in the week

I love chana but I should really explore Indian cuisine some more.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
ramen

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Very cool. Will you share your pasta recipe?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Very cool. Will you share your pasta recipe?

thanks, it's the recipe thoht posted on the last page of the Japanese cooking thread: 300g flour, 1/2 cup water, 1 1/4 tsp kansui.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been cooking stuff while I'm away working. Ingredients aren't always what i want, but I'm trying...
Breakfast tacos are costing me a fortune.

Potato vision sucks though.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HITUS

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

breakfast tacos/sandwiches rule. But why Doritos??

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Made Iron-Bru pulled pork in the slow cooker

Ready to cook

And afterwards with home made wedges. The sauce was made from the juices and was very nice

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

THE MACHO MAN posted:

breakfast tacos/sandwiches rule. But why Doritos??

Imagine i'm 1000k's away from the nearest city, and even that is a cultural blackhole.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Beef shank braised in diced onions, beef stock, and red wine with blanched broccoli. Brown on a plate, but at least the broccoli added some color. I failed to remove the grease from the gravy/sauce so there's a noticeable ring of grease around the gravy :cry: is it even considered a gravy, or just a sauce? Tasted really good, though. I'm not sure what else I could add to the plate to give it more variety/more color, cause it needs some.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pollyanna posted:

Beef shank braised in diced onions, beef stock, and red wine with blanched broccoli. Brown on a plate, but at least the broccoli added some color. I failed to remove the grease from the gravy/sauce so there's a noticeable ring of grease around the gravy :cry: is it even considered a gravy, or just a sauce? Tasted really good, though. I'm not sure what else I could add to the plate to give it more variety/more color, cause it needs some.

Tbh I think you can sometimes focus on adding colour to a plate for it's own sake when it isn't really additive to the dish. Anything like that where you're getting big, beefy flavours - especially from humble cuts like shanks, shins or oxtail - the flavour speaks for itself.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pollyanna posted:

I agree with Theophany above but if you really wanted to, sprinkle in some chopped parsley and / or green onion on it. Good bit of color and also will mesh well with the flavors you already have in there.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Corn bread is yellow. That counts right?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm avoiding carbs, so no cornbread or pasta or anything. I was thinking of adding a salad with some sliced carrots or sth.

The flavors are great, I guess I just wanted a bit more texture or crunch to the dish - hence the broccoli. The feedback makes a lot of sense, thanks!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pollyanna posted:

I'm avoiding carbs, so no cornbread or pasta or anything. I was thinking of adding a salad with some sliced carrots or sth.

The flavors are great, I guess I just wanted a bit more texture or crunch to the dish - hence the broccoli. The feedback makes a lot of sense, thanks!

Lightly pickled or some braised red cabbage.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That Works posted:

Lightly pickled or some braised red cabbage.

Pickled would work, I think I still have my old salt pickler. I've braised/stewed red cabbage before, is it normal for it to take on a sweet/sugary taste? I kind of avoided cooking it often as a result, cause it tasted weird to me. I couldn't figure out whether it was the red cabbage or something else, but red cabbage dishes out there tend to incorporate a lot of sugar.

EDIT: Day two resulted in the addition of some potato salad to round the plate out. Technically not lo-carb, but I wanted to use up some leftover potatoes. Made it with minced onion, scallions, and cilantro, mayonnaise, dijon mustard, rice vinegar, and paprika. Came out alright!

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 31, 2017

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
when a megacorp wants to emulsify the poo poo out of something they buy some lecithin and put it in

egg yolk is a source for that, but you can buy it in powder form and that doesn't add a drat egg yolk to your gravy

this is why you will never see a mass produced food product that's not perfectly emulsified

https://www.amazon.com/Lecithin-Powder-Molecular-Gastronomy-Certified/dp/B00BTI8446

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Sous vide wagyu petite filet with pasta aglio e olio:

First time making the pasta and it won't be my last. So good and so easy.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
look at that fuckin beef, goddamn

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
for real. this guy knows how to hot a beef.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Random Hero posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuck that looks so good.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Random Hero posted:

How'd you sear it?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

atothesquiz posted:

How'd you sear it?

I always sear in a pan, all clad or cast iron, with grapeseed oil. I put the steak in the oil and immediately add a few cloves of garlic and a few sprigs of thyme and rosemary. Sear for ~45s then flip, drop in two tablespoons of butter and begin basting the steak for the 45s on that side.

I usually do the sous vide at 133F for ~1.5-2hrs for most standard cuts– ribeye, strip, filet. For cuts like hanger, flank and flat iron, I usually go a little longer.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Went to the Chicago In White pop up picnic a couple of weeks back.

Made Salmon Rillettes and Cucumber Gazpacho.

A large Pork Pie with some Piccalilli (The yellow stuff) to perk it up some.

It attracted passing Brits, Australians and a gaggle of Southern ladies who thought it was a head cheese pie.

Not pictured is a Cardamom Parfait (Frozen cream custard) served with spheres of pears poached in mulled wine, mulled wine syrup, almond and oat crumble and fresh garden raspberries.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

man I want that right now.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Random Hero posted:

Why didn't this make it into the sous vide thread. Looks amazing.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
made some fresh papardelle with a quick sauce full of capers, bacon and onion

e: the steak and pork pie above look killer. i never thought to sous vide tenderloin but I'll have to try it soon.

large hands fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 2, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

That Works posted:

Phil did you ever hear about Chicken and Waffles when we were younger? The whole time in NOLA growing up I'm not sure that I ever did. Really only recently heard about it being touted as a 'Southern' thing but never saw it much personally. Could just be I never went to the right places but I kinda had the suspicion of it being more of a marketing thing than actually a southern thing.

I grew up in the South and lived in New Orleans 10+ years before and after Katrina and I didn't have Chicken and Waffles til I visited Chicago one time.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Fried Oysters with remoulade and coctail sauce, because my Dr. said my bad cholestrol was low.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
cold ramen

large hands fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 3, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
timg tags are your friend, but I'll forgive you because that pork is loving amazing looking

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
ah thanks, awful app automatically resizes everything to fit so i didnt notice

large hands fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 3, 2017

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
BLT Lettuce wrap with home grown tomatoes ... Cherokee purple I think.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ah man, good Cherokee Purples are the best tomatoes.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
drat that's like the perfect blt minus some nice thick cut toasted sourdough

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Here's my BLT except with spinach and lovely, lovely tomatoes. Homemade bacon and sourdough though.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Here's my BLT except with spinach and lovely, lovely tomatoes. Homemade bacon and sourdough though.

That's gorgeous. Great crust and crumb on the sourdough. I'll agree that my tomatoes would improve the situation :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Really good shot man.