Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Kazy posted:

They did the same with the Philly show.

I don't know about the Germantown thing, but Glenside PA is the hometown of Hal Lublin so we always call it out as such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
As if seeing you guys live isn't cool enough, a guy here in Memphis gave me an extra ticket for the orchestra pit. (I already had a ticket, just not so good.) I'm ridiculously excited about this.
You can't miss me, I'm the guy with purple hair.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I really enjoyed the show in Birmingham a couple of nights ago, but I was a little surprised that there weren't more guest actors.

We only got Tamika Flynn and Deb (and her sister), who were great, but there were a couple more at the previous live show I caught.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Waving hello to you all from the orchestra section tonight in Houston! Looking forward to a great show!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Just saw the live show in Denver. Now I want the tour to be over so I can discuss the theology of the Glow Cloud and its parallels to the book of Isaiah.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

Just saw the live show in Denver. Now I want the tour to be over so I can discuss the theology of the Glow Cloud and its parallels to the book of Isaiah.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this.

Also, big thank you for this live show. The message from it is something sorely needed these days.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/NightValeRadio/status/887724218015772676

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Seattle sold out when I blinked. Please add another night for podcon.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Seattle sold out when I blinked. Please add another night for podcon.

we are doing two shows at the Neptune, before podcon - the early show is sold out except for standing room, but the late show still has a lot of tix available

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/0F0052CD97331810

Snowdog79
Jul 18, 2007

Things are more like they
are now than they ever were before.
Hey maxnmona...this is an unusual question and a strange venue to ask it, but will you or others from the Night Vale Presents crew be in NYC during Adweek (September 25th through 29th)? I see that the tour is overseas that week, but figured I'd check in case one of you isn't terrorizing/enthralling fans in Europe.

I work for a large digital agency, and we're putting together several panels for Adweek about such enthralling topics as changing media consumption patterns and new advertising models. You would have a fascinating viewpoint to share, and quite frankly be much more entertaining than the usual presenters.

Our PR team is going to reach out via other channels, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here. Nothing ventured and so forth.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Snowdog79 posted:

Hey maxnmona...this is an unusual question and a strange venue to ask it, but will you or others from the Night Vale Presents crew be in NYC during Adweek (September 25th through 29th)? I see that the tour is overseas that week, but figured I'd check in case one of you isn't terrorizing/enthralling fans in Europe.

I work for a large digital agency, and we're putting together several panels for Adweek about such enthralling topics as changing media consumption patterns and new advertising models. You would have a fascinating viewpoint to share, and quite frankly be much more entertaining than the usual presenters.

Our PR team is going to reach out via other channels, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask here. Nothing ventured and so forth.

yeah, this is definitely an email thing. http://www.welcometonightvale.com/contact/

Snowdog79
Jul 18, 2007

Things are more like they
are now than they ever were before.

maxnmona posted:

yeah, this is definitely an email thing. http://www.welcometonightvale.com/contact/

Will do--thanks!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I will never get tired of episodes that play off of the pilot. So many parts of that episode are burned into my brain. Love it.

E holy poo poo the update on the waterfront.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also holy poo poo return of the original theme

My fave theme

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Grabbed my tickets to both New Zealand shows. Four months is plenty of time to get all caught up.

Now to obsessively check every day to see when it's announced who's doing the Weather.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I will never get tired of episodes that play off of the pilot. So many parts of that episode are burned into my brain. Love it.

E holy poo poo the update on the waterfront.
:agreed:

Also Steve is now Cecil's best friend :3: I liked his update on the helicopters, and that even he has no idea what the deal is with the ones with murals of birds of prey on them (other than 'RUN').

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

cptn_dr posted:

Grabbed my tickets to both New Zealand shows. Four months is plenty of time to get all caught up.

(You don't have to be caught up. Our live shows are self-contained.)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If I am reading that joke right. Holy crap, Angels and salt had me laughing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BigRed0427 posted:

If I am reading that joke right. Holy crap, Angels and salt had me laughing.

Because they are so pure?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Because they are so pure?

Assuming the Angels are suppose to be stand ins for Trans women, One of the side effects of HRT, particularity Spiro which is a blood pressure medication used to stop the body's ability to produce testosterone, is sodium deficiency. This leads a lot of trans women having massive salt cravings. If you ever notice why trans women talk a lot about eating pickles, this is why.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

BigRed0427 posted:

Assuming the Angels are suppose to be stand ins for Trans women, One of the side effects of HRT, particularity Spiro which is a blood pressure medication used to stop the body's ability to produce testosterone, is sodium deficiency. This leads a lot of trans women having massive salt cravings. If you ever notice why trans women talk a lot about eating pickles, this is why.

I just thought it was a reference to them stealing Old Woman Josie's salt in the first episode.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Ohhh. Maybe I'm reading to much into stuff.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BigRed0427 posted:

Ohhh. Maybe I'm reading to much into stuff.

Well, the reason they stole the salt in the first place could be that thing you said. I mean it's not like theyve said it definitively isn't that :v:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Night Vale is good - I've seen you guys both times you've been in Denmark (that I was aware of), and am currently passing the time during chemo by reading the novel. Thanks for the good good entertainment, guys.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Loved the episode. Still really like the concept of the "ghost cars" - those more than anything seem like an urban legend that would actually exist in the southwest. Though I guess maybe it's because I associate them with the Marfa Lights.

BigRed0427 posted:

So what does the asking for five dollars represent?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Loved the episode. Still really like the concept of the "ghost cars" - those more than anything seem like an urban legend that would actually exist in the southwest. Though I guess maybe it's because I associate them with the Marfa Lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beMzh0URH_s

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Chairman Capone posted:

So what does the asking for five dollars represent?

because of the systemic erasure and lack of a modern healthcare system in the united states trans-people are often poor

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Just listened to everything from last August to this June and I'm really impressed. A bit bummed that Old Woman Josie died but I'm excited that Cecil and Carlos finally got married. The episode for that was probably one of the best Nightvale episodes out there. A question: is Cecil not remembering his friend, the head chef at Tourniquet related to the reality collapse? I feel like it should be but I don't remember anything specific. And what about Mithigan? Michagan? Is that still going to be a thing going forward?

How are the other Nightvale Presents podcasts? Welcome to Wolf 359 is almost over and The Black Tapes/TANIS are starting to get boring so I'm running out of fictional stuff.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

axeil posted:

How are the other Nightvale Presents podcasts? Welcome to Wolf 359 is almost over and The Black Tapes/TANIS are starting to get boring so I'm running out of fictional stuff.

I haven't listened to all of them, but at least Alice Isn't Dead is phenomenal.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

lovely poker hand posted:

I haven't listened to all of them, but at least Alice Isn't Dead is phenomenal.

What's the synopsis? I listened to the little preview they had for Season 2 at the end of one of the episodes but I was confused as hell.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

axeil posted:

I seem to be in the minority, but:

I really love Within the Wires. It's a great premise and the way it unfolds is genuinely unsettling and touching in equal measures.

I like the concept of Orbiting Human Circus, but the janitor's personality and especially his voice was just so grating to me that I stopped after a few episodes. So worth a try and if he doesn't bother you, I would also recommend it.

Alice Isn't Dead just didn't grab me all that much, though there were a few episodes I particularly liked. But only listened to the first season and didn't feel compelled to return to it.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

axeil posted:

What's the synopsis? I listened to the little preview they had for Season 2 at the end of one of the episodes but I was confused as hell.

It's about a trucker who is journeying across America's weird, anomalous small towns in hopes of finding her wife, Alice, who mysteriously vanished. The woman narrates the events of the plot (and her life) through her truck radio as she travels. It's a conspiracy...?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I seem to be in the minority, but:

I really love Within the Wires. It's a great premise and the way it unfolds is genuinely unsettling and touching in equal measures.

I like the concept of Orbiting Human Circus, but the janitor's personality and especially his voice was just so grating to me that I stopped after a few episodes. So worth a try and if he doesn't bother you, I would also recommend it.

Alice Isn't Dead just didn't grab me all that much, though there were a few episodes I particularly liked. But only listened to the first season and didn't feel compelled to return to it.

I agree mostly with the first two. My problem with OHC wasn't the main character, just that I couldn't understand what was going on and eventually got bored. WtW was very confusing at first, but it came together nicely by the end, and I kind of want to listen again. Alice Isn't Dead was good through its first season, then kind of wandered and got unfocused in season two. But the end of the season was genuinely scary and had strong character development. If you haven't listened in a while and don't feel like investing the time, I'd say at the least jump forward and listen to episodes nine and ten of season two.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I haven't listened to any of the second season of Alice yet , just because the first season felt very much (particularly after the first few episodes) like a single serialized story and I wanted to have it all at once. I really enjoyed the first season though.

Also, I really enjoyed the first episode of Conversations With People Who Hate Me, though it's of course a wholly different thing.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

lovely poker hand posted:

It's about a trucker who is journeying across America's weird, anomalous small towns in hopes of finding her wife, Alice, who mysteriously vanished. The woman narrates the events of the plot (and her life) through her truck radio as she travels. It's a conspiracy...?

How creepy/scary is it? Are we talking like Steven King/It level scary or just mildly weird/unnerving? I loved the first season of The Black Tapes and Limetown and with October coming soon my girlfriend and I could use something to creep us out.

Also if the book is about The Smiling God that is an instant must-buy for me. It's my favorite Nightvale Nemesis and I really enjoyed the first book...although I sadly can't remember much about it. :smith: I do remember the audiobook being fantastic though; like a really long single episode.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 11, 2017

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

axeil posted:

How creepy/scary is it? Are we talking like Steven King/It level scary or just mildly weird/unnerving? I loved the first season of The Black Tapes and Limetown and with October coming soon my girlfriend and I could use something to creep us out.

I would say AiD is very Stephen King-ish. A major theme of it is "the dark side of rural America," which is one of King's favorite themes. Also, I'd say the monsters in it also resemble some of King's villains with the way they seem human at first and gradually reveal more of themselves. As for how scary it is, well it alternates. Some episodes are genuinely terrifying, some are less so. I'd say the last couple episodes of season two are some of the best in terms of scares.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Just throwing this out there, the proper pronunciation is Mitchigan. :eng101:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
One of the things about AiD is that the main character usually isn't afraid, even when she most likely should be. I'd say the creepiest from the first season is Episode 2 as far as I'm concerned,

I haven't gotten into the second season yet, I was used to walking around for podcasts but I moved and I don't have to walk as much anymore.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
It's interesting for me, in that my favorite Night Vale episodes are the ones that focus on the season's overarrching plotline or lore, but for Alice Isn't Dead, my favorite episodes are the ones that don't touch on the conspiracy much, and focus instead on the protagonist going through weird towns and situations where she is, by her own words, a bystander. I can't quite put my finger on why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Just finished the first episode of Conversations with People who Hate Me. I'm not totally sure what I think of it. It's well produced and I think it's got a lot of potential. At the very least as a sort of historical documentation of the zeitgeist we're in. And I don't want to suggest it needs to be for me. But I live in the mid-west, I'm the only progressive in my office building and I hear the poo poo the right says constantly. So I don't know if I can listen to it being engaged, because that rhetoric is so loving cliche. I will say this. I spend a lot of days hiding because my continued livelihood depends on my not questions rear end in a top hat's, I'm glad that someone has the ability to do so.