Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Krispy Kareem posted:

Don't they restrict some models to 'legacy' owners, creating scarcity even if you have the means to buy one?

Ferrari's are like Rolex's. They don't make fiscal sense, but boy howdy the people who really like them are the ones with the money.

not restricted as such, but previous owners of their top-of-the-line cars go to the front of the waiting list, and the more you've owned the higher you go. As they tend to only make them in the dozens or hundreds it does mean the same few people (mostly people who own entire countries or played on Dark Side Of The Moon) end up owning them.

Also if you don't follow their rules on ownership (which normally includes <x> miles of on-road driving a year and, if you want to sell them, giving first refusal to people on the waiting list and selling them at no more than the purchase price) you'll get bumped to the back and so effectively locked out of buying them in the future. It sounds silly but Enzo Ferrari knew what he was about and those halo cars are a rolling advertising hoarding for them and their brand. The purchase price barely covers the materials, let alone the R&D and production costs - it's more a sort of loyalty test than a financial transaction.

It would actually be insanely GWM to run a long con on them because on the very rare occasions one of them come up for open sale they generally go for 5-10x the purchase price - you just need a few million dollars of seed money. Oh and a few hundred million dollars more to afford the kind of lifestyle that gets you invited onto the list on the first place, but you can probably write that off against tax or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Guest2553 posted:

Some guy posts a lot of words justifying his failed market timing attempt.

1775 words of masturbatory post hoc rationalization and deep thoughts on geopolitics follows to be capped off by some face-saving bullshit:

My favorite bit that's almost thread-title worthy:

I can literally metaphorically hear the tubas going *womp womp* in the background

If this guy manages to make any money actively trading in his TFSA there's a decent chance he'll get hit with capital gains taxes anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cold on a Cob posted:

If this guy manages to make any money actively trading in his TFSA there's a decent chance he'll get hit with capital gains taxes anyway.

Yeah, the threshold is relatively low for being deemed an active trader by the CRA. The threshold is somewhere under 50 trades/year AIUI.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, the threshold is relatively low for being deemed an active trader by the CRA. The threshold is somewhere under 50 trades/year AIUI.

My understanding is they also take a closer look at you if you're in finance. OP definitely qualifies.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This guy deleted his account after people made fun of him and doxxed him, but it was America.txt.

https://np.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6q0u3r/i_shot_myself_oops/

quote:

I shot myself (oops) (self.legaladvice).

How likely am I to be charged with mishandling a firearm? I live in Virginia, and there's a lot of gun crime in my town so how likely is it for me to be charged, because the police have 12 months to file charges for a misdemeanor, and its already been a month since I did it.

The hospital cost $9,000 and I am not paying to avoid establishing a paper trail.

quote:

It's possible that the hospital reported the GSW to the police. This is required in some places because people are often shot in conjunction with another crime. Typically that is a local law.

Next time i shoot myself Im gonna fix it up myself.

quote:

I was alone when it happened and the gun was pointeed in a safe direction (except my leg was obviously in the way).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

the gun was pointeed in a safe direction (except my leg was obviously in the way).

This is my favorite post of the day.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

quote:

The hospital cost $9,000 and I am not paying to avoid establishing a paper trail.

With ideas like that, it's no wonder this guy shot himself.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

gun moron posted:

It was really just a graze, all it hit was skin and muscle then exited.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Motronic posted:

This is my favorite post of the day.

Is that too long for a thread title? Also thanks for the link Trotsky, that's going to TFR.

E: Oh, someone found it already. Here's a link with the OP's comments not deleted. http://archive.is/s9U7f#selection-1587.0-1587.275

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
this was like 6 pages back but have an automated tshirt folder

https://i.imgur.com/ZAfYRHF.gifv

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

curufinor posted:

Because of having to load it yourself and how long it takes it'd honestly be quicker and easier to just do it yourself.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I doubt it, picking up a new car from the dealer is one of the best parts about owning sweet sports cars. Especially a rare collectible 430 Scuderia like this one. Really sad because it was very limited production and obviously irreplaceable n

I thought if a Ferrari is rare enough they will salvage the VIN plate and rebuild the entire car, if the buyer agrees to pay for it, of course.

Really drives home the adage of "To own one, you have to be able to buy two."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Notaries make copies (at least every time I've had something notarized, they make a photocopy), so whoever notarized the original document will have the original version with "$10K" on it. If the document has an obvious change, then the change itself has to be notarized as well, and the notary would have a copy of that.

It would be a big deal if the notary was in on it, as in they'd be criminally liable for whatever fraud was taking place.

They do? I've never had any notary I've ever used make a copy, they just note it down in a little log book. Then again they've all been coworkers or family friends so maybe they do if you're paying them for it?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"Everything's a graze unless the hit has enough ~stopping power~ to explode your organs or shatter your bones or give you brain damage due to hydrostatic shock" - what gun people actually believe

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ate all the Oreos posted:

They do? I've never had any notary I've ever used make a copy, they just note it down in a little log book. Then again they've all been coworkers or family friends so maybe they do if you're paying them for it?

I'm not sure what you got notarized, and maybe it is because they know you personally and were a little lax, but for something like a real estate transaction they should be making copies. I know everything in my trust/estate plan needed to be notarized and they made copies of it all for their records, and this was besides the copies that the attorney kept. So many stamps...

"Everything's a graze unless the hit has enough ~stopping power~ to explode your organs or shatter your bones or give you brain damage due to hydrostatic shock" - what gun people actually believe

Gun people don't believe that. Every once in a while someone obviously new (like the dumbass who shot himself) will go and say "such-and-such round can't really hurt you", and the classic sarcastic refrain is "ok then, why don't you go over there, I'll start shooting you, and you can tell me when to stop" because even small calibers are deadly - for reference, RFK was killed with a .22LR revolver which is about as puny as they come.

Every range I've been to can and will kick you out immediately if you aren't practicing any kind of range safety; the biggest problem they have are mostly with tourists from other countries who fly in and say "I'll go to a range and shoot guns from the hip/with the pistol turned sideways and be just like some guy from a movie I saw."

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 29, 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm not sure what you got notarized, and maybe it is because they know you personally and were a little lax, but for something like a real estate transaction they should be making copies. I know everything in my trust/estate plan needed to be notarized and they made copies of it all for their records, and this was besides the copies that the attorney kept. So many stamps...

So far the things I've gotten personally notarized were an inheritance legal document from my grandfather's estate so I could get my inheritance check, and my marriage license. I mean both of these later had many copies made of them (after I mailed the first back to the lawyer, and after the second got returned to the state) but the notary didn't do that, she just stamped it and logged it :shrug:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
^^ also see my add to your more recent post

So far the things I've gotten personally notarized were an inheritance legal document from my grandfather's estate so I could get my inheritance check, and my marriage license. I mean both of these later had many copies made of them (after I mailed the first back to the lawyer, and after the second got returned to the state) but the notary didn't do that, she just stamped it and logged it :shrug:

Both of those are just validating who you are, though, which is one point of the notary; the log book is enough. Quit claim deeds and real estate transactions are very different because it's not just "ate all the Oreos is who they say they are, so please send they the check that's due" but "ate all the Oreos (who is who they claim they are) signed a quit claim deeding this plot of land and the house on it that they own over to monster on a stick (who also is who they claim they are) with the consideration that monster will be paying $X to Oreo." And the implications of any kind of screw up (arguments over who the actual owner of a piece of land are and endless lawsuits) are much bigger than if someone faked a marriage license (which isn't a record of marriage, it just allows you to get married.)

EDIT: In the case of your inheritance, assuming it was a will, then probate (which is a court filing and arguably a type of lawsuit, it's court-supervised and everything) has already determined that someone named "ate all the Oreos" is supposed to get $X so all you need to do is prove that's you.

If you want fun, try getting a Medallion Signature Guarantee sometime. Sometimes it's almost impossible to get one.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 29, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thank you for posting the archived version of the gunshot guy. I was only able to get partial quotes from other people quoting him after he deleted it.

Why was the gun pointed in a safe direction (other than his knee being in the way) when it discharged?

quote:

Yea, other than my leg it was pointed towards a cement floor.

quote:

Bruh. Concrete floors are definitely not considered a safe direction if the gun is loaded-too much of a chance for a ricochet. Aim downrange instead.

The best non-OP comment:

quote:

Next time i shoot myself

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Perfect.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

curufinor posted:

if they had another table and the guy got fast you could slide one on, grab another and fold it at the same time

automation is not generally bwm because the people who authorize the buy also count the beans

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

I thought if a Ferrari is rare enough they will salvage the VIN plate and rebuild the entire car, if the buyer agrees to pay for it, of course.

Really drives home the adage of "To own one, you have to be able to buy two."

Good question, idk if a 430 Scuderia qualifies for that sort of treatment whereas an Enzo or something might. Hardly matters though because it would be exorbitantly expensive to the point where you'd be better off just looking for another identical car somewhere else, and a salvage/rebuilt exotic is seriously damaged goods on the market and difficult to insure etc

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6qqi5y/florida_us_unjustly_fired_from_my_job_can_i_sue/ posted:

(Florida US) Unjustly fired from my job. Can I sue?

So, I'm a sysadmin for a small school district in Florida, and as a result I'm responsible for updating/providing technical support for the ~150 computers that the district owns (most of these are in the schools themselves in computer labs. Like I said, it's pretty small.) This also means that I can control all of these computers remotely, and do things like mass install software. Well, I realized that even though these computers are on for most of the day, they're rarely used and even then it's only to do things like surf the web and write up papers. This means that there's a lot of computing power that's going to waste. Recently, I've been getting really into bitcoin and I realized that I could set it up so that the computers could mine the blockchain in the background while performing their normal duties. The school district doesn't pay me that well for the hours I put it (it's not their fault, it's not too well funded) so I figured this would be a nice way to eke out a little extra spending money. Well, everything went fine and it ran well for a couple of months until a teacher's computer was locked by a nasty bit of ransomware (it wasn't from me, I think they were just looking at sites that they shouldn't have been). Now, I didn't know how to fix it, but the teacher had a lot of work saved on there that they hadn't backed up (Ridiculous, right?). Well, it turns out that one of their students' parents is some sort of IT expert (they own a very successful company that provides support to large businesses), and they offered to take a look at it pro bono. Well, long story short, they were able to unlock the computer but in doing so they found my mining operation. They went to the superintendent and got permission to check the other computers. Once they verified that I was the only one that could have installed the software (I used my 5th amendment rights and refused to say anything) they fired me and are even threatening to take me to court over the infected computer, claiming that it was my fault it was infected and that I should have to pay the parent (who, once again, fixed it for free). Now, I know that my mining operation didn't cause the virus and I can prove it. Is there any way I could sue for my job back, since I didn't do anything wrong and they had no reason to fire me? Thanks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's not the main stupidity, but is bitcoin mining likely to get you cryptoed?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

That dude's claimed ignorance of how what he was doing was in fact wrong is mind-boggling.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

I was worried that the superintendent was going to try to take my bitcoins for himself. He only got the job because his stepdad owns a dealership and is very influential in local politics. I've looked at his browser history and trust me, this guy doesn't work at all. I'm surprised he didn't get a virus
Oh yes, the superintendent definitely wants your monopoly money.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

"My boss didn't pay me enough so I used company resources to run a gambling ring after hours. How is that illegal? They weren't even using the place!"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I'm almost convinced that this is an elaborate parody of your typical sys admin/computer janitor.

quote:

But I didn't do anything wrong. They wouldn't even have found out if the teacher hadn't installed the ransomware.

quote:

Yes you did, and if you don't realize that, there's no hope for you in life.

quote:

What did I do wrong? By supplementing my income with the mining, I was able to stay at a job that paid VERY below market value. Really, they should be THANKING me

quote:

You used your employer's resources without their permission, and for personal profit. When you use something that belongs to someone else, you have to ask permission first. Otherwise we call that 'stealing'

quote:

But I was in charge of the computers

quote:

I don't think you understand. They weren't using it in the first place. It's like accusing me of misappropriating my employer's electricity for plugging my phone into an open outlet.

quote:

Does anyone use the school gymnasium at night? Does that mean you can throw a midnight party at the gym? Of course not.
Are you being intentionally obtuse?

quote:

I couldn't, since I don't have a key to the gym and therefore don't have the right to access it

quote:

Do you think the janitor can do it without consequences, you chlamidiot?

quote:

Idk, I've definitely seen him practicing basketball in there before. Should they fire him?

quote:

STEM and IT are the black sheep of the world. I needed to supplement my income to even stay at this job.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm almost convinced that this is an elaborate parody of your typical sys admin/computer janitor.

Yeah this has to be a parody, he would have made a grand total of zero dollars CPU mining (or even GPU mining) even with 150 computers so there's no way he was "supplementing his income"

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, it was just removed as a troll. Oh well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6qoakm/i_buy_things_online_when_im_bored_and_i_honestly/ posted:

I buy things online when I'm bored and I honestly don't know how to stop

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but:

I can't say I have ever experienced a shopping problem before. I feel like it's more or less a boredom problem. Instead of reading or drawing or doing something constructive, I tend to head to Amazon and search for arbitrary crap I really don't need.

Is there a way to curb this? I have always been sort of an impulse buyer, but lately ive been doing it more and more (especially at work when I have nothing to do).

Anything financial I can do? Like restrict my account to a certain dollar amount a month to spend or... something? I don't have a ton of ideas and would like to hear someone's thoughts on this or maybe share what worked for them or a friend that was going through something similar.

I don't know how to stop, I don'tknowhowtostop

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yeah, it was just removed as a troll. Oh well.

Help me please my family is dying

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Stop buying candles.

No.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I don't know if the truck or these fake charities for rich white people are more infuriating, have both:

quote:

The Ford F-150 Raptor is a performance bargain at the $52,000 or so that you can pick one up for, but someone likes it so much that they just spent $300,000 on one.

No, he wasn’t a bad negotiator. The premium paid went to a charity, but he did get a very cool truck out of the deal.

The unique F-22 Raptor F-150 Raptor was built by Ford to support the Experimental Aircraft Association’s Young Eagles foundation, which aims to expose children to flight and aviation design. It was auctioned off at this year’s EAA Airventure gathering of over 10,000 aircraft in Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

This year Ford decided to make the link between the F-22 Raptor fighter jet and high performance F-150 Raptor, which can fly pretty far over jumps. :barf:

The auction car has an F-22 paint scheme, a grille featuring an image of the aircraft, red and green ‘navigation’ lights on the rearview mirror caps, plus a long list of functional upgrades.

These include a 1.3-million candlepower light bar, carbon fiber fender flares, an Addictive Desert Designs front suspension tune, Deaver rear springs and a modified version of the Raptor’s 450 hp, 510 lb-ft twin-turbocharged V6 with a Whipple intercooler that helps boost the power to 545 hp and 660 lb-ft.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm not a truck guy but that's a cool truck.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wasn't the F-22 a failure of a program that was kinda like F-35 lite?

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
There is zero chance that truck ever goes off the road.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't know if the truck or these fake charities for rich white people are more infuriating, have both:

Tax write off.

It may have even been a company purchase. Now they can park that poo poo at aerospace conventions surrounded by booth girls (I have no idea what happens at aerospace conventions).

Wasn't the F-22 a failure of a program that was kinda like F-35 lite?

F-22's pretty cool. It's Air Force only though. The F-35 was supposed to be cross platform for all the branches.

I think the F-22 was a good plane at the wrong time. They kept cutting production during the peaceful 90's and by the time they realized they needed more, the F-35 was the new hotness.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 1, 2017

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

The F-22 is a monster and the USAF are nuts for canceling production as early as they did. That being said I'm surprised the truck publicity stunt wasn't tied to a new product e.g. F-35...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

antiga posted:

The F-22 is a monster and the USAF are nuts for canceling production as early as they did. That being said I'm surprised the truck publicity stunt wasn't tied to a new product e.g. F-35...

It's a bunch of aviation-themed masturbation attached to a vehicle that should never fly, so it's pretty closely tied to the F-35 already.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

antiga posted:

Who wants a truck that might suffocate you to death?

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The problem with the F22 is it's designed to be the best air superiority aircraft in the world, but the US pretty much exclusively goes to war with people who don't actually have air forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

GamingHyena posted:

Who wants a truck that might suffocate you to death?

F-22 had the same problem

TheAsterite fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 1, 2017