Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Well new police Explorers are poisoning cops with carbon monoxide so I think Ford and Lockheed are missing out on a great cross marketing opportunity there.

Germany had an airforce guys, they even built jets before us and I don't think we've gotten over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ranbo das posted:

The problem with the F22 is it's designed to be the best air superiority aircraft in the world, but the US pretty much exclusively goes to war with people who don't actually have air forces.

The justification for that I've heard is that you gotta build your aircraft for the hypothetical war you're not fighting under the assumption that in the near future we'll be getting into pew pew fighter wars with china or something

I heard this justification in like the early-mid-2000's and we're still fighting against people with mid-last-century soviet technology but i'm sure it'll happen any day now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
This is a total derail, but F-22's were built near me and twice I've seen them test flying (flanked by F-16's I think) and man those are beautiful airplanes.

BWM were the billboards by a congressional candidate that just said, 'SAVE THE F-35'. Need to bring home that pork.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The "Bitcoin powerbrokers" couldn't decide on what to do about the blockchain hitting its limit and bitcoin has split in two today.

Get ready for some good stories from bitcoin sites and subreddits in the coming weeks.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The "Bitcoin powerbrokers" couldn't decide on what to do about the blockchain hitting its limit and bitcoin has split in two today.

Get ready for some good stories from bitcoin sites and subreddits in the coming weeks.

So far only one fork has any blocks, meaning a bunch of bitcoiners who were scheming to take advantage of the duplication of the chains now don't get their free money

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

It looks like a miniature toy truck zapped with the ray gun from Honey, I Blew Up the Kid. Also, it's not just for rich white people; like country music, the appeal has metastasized into other demographics.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I always go back and watch this clip of Pentagon Wars whenever BWM government spending or weapons budgets comes up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

The justification for that I've heard is that you gotta build your aircraft for the hypothetical war you're not fighting under the assumption that in the near future we'll be getting into pew pew fighter wars with china or something

I heard this justification in like the early-mid-2000's and we're still fighting against people with mid-last-century soviet technology but i'm sure it'll happen any day now.

Well the next time the US fights a war against someone with a modern air force, it will be the last war, but we still have to win it!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Teeter posted:

I always go back and watch this clip of Pentagon Wars whenever BWM government spending or weapons budgets comes up.

This was amazing. Thank you.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Teeter posted:

quote:

A troop transport that can't carry troops, a reconnaissance vehicle that's too conspicuous to do reconnaissance, and a quasi-tank that has less armor than a snow-blower, but carries enough ammo to take out half of D.C.

They really should do a sequel about the F-35.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I mean there's a certain logic to "have weapons that are scary enough that you don't need to win the war because no one wants to fight you".

But lol if you think that applies to the F35

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ranbo das posted:

I mean there's a certain logic to "have weapons that are scary enough that you don't need to win the war because no one wants to fight you".

Not knowing what the gently caress it's going to do is kind of scary for both sides.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I hope this doesn't turn into a wedding derail but BWM: not paying your photographer $150, lose a 1 million dollar lawsuit

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.6dba929970a5

quote:

An autumn affair at the Petroleum Club in downtown Dallas, the union of a full-time beauty blogger and the love of her life, appeared to be a gorgeous thing — marred by one misfortune.

Three months after the ceremony, in front of a local television crew, Andrew and Neely Moldovan showed off a box of empty picture frames.

Their photographer was withholding the images, they told NBC affiliate KXAS in January 2015, and was demanding an extra $150 when they’d already paid thousands.

“It’s heartbreaking, because, you know, these are our memories,” Neely Moldovan said.

And many agreed.

“Wedding photographer holds couple’s pictures hostage,” blared the Daily Mail a few days later.

The Moldovans’ sympathizers descended on photographer Andrea Polito’s review pages, calling her a scam artist, or worse.

Her reputation was ruined, her business dried up and she closed her studio.

And then the story changed.

Polito sued the Moldovans, claiming all they ever had to do to get their glossies was fill out a form, choose options for their wedding album and pay a small charge they had long known about.

But a judge let the case go forward. And on Friday, the jury sided with Polito, whose complaint described the couple as “dead set in their pursuit of publicity and public shaming.”

After an afternoon of deliberation, a majority of jurors agreed that the Moldovans had defamed and disparaged Polito and her studio, and conspired to do so. The total price to make good was just over $1 million.

It’s not certain that Polito will ever see the money. Her lawyer, Dave Wishnew, said he expects the couple to challenge the verdict before a judge orders them to pay.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

BWM: getting plastic surgery to avoid your debt but getting caught anyway

quote:

A Chinese woman had plastic surgery in an attempt to disguise herself to avoid paying massive debts.

Zhu Najuan, 59, underwent plastic surgery and disappeared after a court in Wuhan, capital of central China's Hubei Province, asked her to pay off huge debts of over 25 million yuan (3.71 million U.S. dollar) earlier this year.

In July, Zhu was reported to be in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, where police officers from the Intermediate People's Court of Wuhan detained her and were astonished by her brand new face.

"We were very surprised at the scene," a policeman said. "She looked in her thirties and was different from the photos we had."

Zhu was detained and confessed that she had used people's ID cards to buy high-speed train tickets and borrowed bank cards to support her face-changing "career."

Recently, Wuhan judicial authorities launched a series of crackdowns on debt avoidance. The city's courts detained 186 people for debt avoidance in the first half of the year.

China is building a "credit society." On July 16, more than 300 Chinese cities jointly released a declaration about enhancing the credit system to improve people's credit rating

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-07/28/c_136481283.htm

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

BWM: getting plastic surgery to avoid your debt but getting caught anyway

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-07/28/c_136481283.htm

If there was ever an article in more dire need of pictures I can't think of it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

ranbo das posted:

I have a working knowledge that kind of stuff and while there's no doubt that the acquisition programs incentivize bad behavior on the parts of politicians/lobbyists/contractors/etc, most of the meaningful capabilities and positive news tend to be classified so successes can't be openly celebrated. Not that we wouldn't be better off by deciding to buy one less squadron of F35s while solving homelessness or student indebtedness, but you know.

Alternatively, here's the comedy answer:

Outrageous Waste—America’s Secret Strategy for Military Deterrence posted:

What if American military strategy involves deliberately overspending for the sole purpose of placing weapons out of reach of the rest of the world?

What if we spend decades and billions on cancelled and troubled projects, creating the appearance of difficulty and incompetence, in order to deceive our enemies and dissuade them from building advanced jets, tanks and ships?

Making the unaffordable status quo appear inevitable creates a strong disincentive to hostile actors, so there is a genuine national benefit to convincing the world advanced weapon systems cannot be built in less than 25 years, even if we could actually do it in 18 months.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
If its the case, it isnt working. China is building much more advanced weapons in 1/10th of the time on 1/3rd of the budget.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“sparkmaster”" post="“474946065”"]
If its the case, it isnt working. China is building much more advanced weapons in 1/10th of the time on 1/3rd of the budget.
[/quote]

Serious question, but what’s more advanced? The crown jewel of their navy is an old Russian carrier and last I heard their carrier-killer ballistic missile can’t see past the smoke screens carrier groups would undoubtedly be using if they knew China was aiming for their carriers.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sparkmaster posted:

There's no evidence of this, other than maybe the budget part (which doesn't mean much on its own, since by all credible accounts they're making inferior weapons).

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

sparkmaster posted:

lol
no
just no

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Teeter posted:

The best part is, some of the design change requests are coming from a general played by Richard Riehle, who in Office Space would DEAL WITH THE GODDAMN CUSTOMERS SO THE ENGINEERS DON'T HAVE TO.

Edit: Don't forget, he also has a bit part in Time Changer, which made the rounds on the forums and front page at least in 2004. I bought a copy because of elpintogrande or someone else's hullabaloo about it.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 2, 2017

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

curufinor posted:

lol
no
just no

normally, you'd be right, but if we're talking about the f35, then that post is completely accurate

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Didn't they work out a lot of the F-35 problems? Like it can fly in the rain now and it doesn't actively try to kill its pilots.

The F-35 still sucks, but maybe for different reasons.

Also, still waiting for some of that advanced China tech all the kids are talking about.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

We definitely need air superiority over a country who pegs their currency to ours and owns more T Bills than Goldman. BWM and Tom Clancy chat collide, radical!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Also, still waiting for some of that advanced China tech all the kids are talking about.

If I remember right they stole a bunch of F-35 design tech and had a clone running before we were even done with it, though I don't know if they actually put it in production or just did it as a "lol eat it america" move

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
If I remember rightly, someone definitely stole some F-35 design data and China had the J-20 flying a couple of years after that, but how much of that stolen data went into it isn't clear.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's possible China's version does better because they aren't contractually obliged to stick to all the horrible design decisions and compromises that make the F-35 a trainwreck of the sky.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
A lot of the cutting edge next gen tech is in the avionics and radar and electronic stuff, the materials science of the stealth coating, stuff like that. They stole the airframe and engine design which is frankly nothing special.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Considering how Chinese-made cars did in crash tests, getting a leg up on engine and airframe design is still a pretty big deal. But it's not like that alone is going to get them far.

Seriously though. If you haven't watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ULm6QrC428

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Considering how Chinese-made cars did in crash tests, getting a leg up on engine and airframe design is still a pretty big deal. But it's not like that alone is going to get them far.

Chinese companies are perfectly capable of making a safe car. What you're looking at is a lack of safety regulations.

When it comes to high-performance aerospace stuff, the US has some big knowledge advantages, but it's not anything you'd find in a car. Think "how to machine turbine blades from ultra-high-temperature alloys."

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Krispy Kareem posted:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This whole situation is BWM and BWL, but this is a new and interesting twist on credit card usage.

quote:

I [26M] just got married to 24F yesterday...I want a divorce.

At this point I'm not sure if I'm even looking for advice or simply for a way to anonymously vent. But I met this girl who I dated for about 2 years, while finishing up a degree. As I'm getting ready for graduation, I realize this girl simply has some qualities I don't like or want in a long term partner, and I end it with her shortly after Valentine's Day. She then texts me in early March stating that she's pregnant and it's mine bla bla. She's pro-Life, and so, my life flashed before my eyes.

When we broke up, she totally did NOT want to breakup and tried so hard n bargained etc. but I figured with this pregnancy, and both of us having conservative parents, we should try to get married soon. So, against my parents' wishes (they don't approve of her) I marry this girl. All the meanwhile pretending she's my dream girl and I'm so happy/lucky.

Over the course of the past two months, she has been increasingly disrespectful towards me, and a total bridezilla. I can't take it anymore. Any kind of argument or disagreement devolves into her saying "omg I can't" and then crying or rudely waking away from me.

Even when we were talking about finances, she told me she's perfectly ok with buying things with her credit card and only making minimum payments, and that "this is what people with money do" and that I don't know anything because I don't have any money. WTF. Am I missing something here?

So, Here I am, having faked my way through a wedding, wondering about how/when I can jump off this boat. I figure I have 3 options

I can wait out this pregnancy and as bad as it sounds, pray/hope for a miscarriage (SUPER unlikely though)

I can wait till a year after the kid is born n see if maybe she straightens out afterwards

I can just stick it out

TLDR: knocked a girl up, broke up with her, found out she's pregnant, rushed a marriage, and I think she's just a bad wife material

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

This whole situation is BWM and BWL, but this is a new and interesting twist on credit card usage.
Please tell me the comments are ripping into him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Haifisch posted:

Please tell me the comments are ripping into him.

They are all just yelling at him for saying he hopes she has a miscarriage, telling him he made a mistake, but to stick it out for the kid.

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/6a39n3/i_26m_just_got_married_to_24f_yesterdayi_want_a/

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This is great all around.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/6r3gpv/nyc_landlord_cashed_all_my_rent_checks_at_once/

quote:

NYC: Landlord cashed all my rent checks at once.

My income is bitcoin-based, so I had some difficulty proving that I made 40x my rent to potential landlords.

Ultimately, my broker was able to negotiate a deal with one landlord to get an apartment that I love, but to make certain I paid on time, the landlord requested that I pay first and last month, plus the deposit up front (I paid my broker's fee in BTC) and then give him 22 checks, each dated for the month they were to be used. My agent says this is normal when people have unusual incomes or a history of not paying on time. I moved in on July 14.

On Monday, the landlord deposited all 22 checks.

Fortunately, I had just over $80k in my account so the checks didn't bounce, but I was planning to use most of that money to pay a vendor. I'm now going to have to liquidate more BTC, which I was trying to avoid doing right after the split.

The landlord claims he was within his rights to cash all the checks, even though they were dated in the future. He said bitcoins were too risky and that he helped me out by making sure I have a place to live for the next two years. Can I sue the landlord to get my money back?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pryor on Fire posted:

We definitely need air superiority over a country who pegs their currency to ours and owns more T Bills than Goldman. BWM and Tom Clancy chat collide, radical!
I was assured by Harry from the AMS that he's "the head one of the most eminent financial groups, and an expert on the genome theory".

I don't actually know if a House of the Dead 2 reference is too deep a cut for people to get in 2017

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol "pay a vendor" this guy's totally a drug dealer

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

quote:

rudely waking away from me

Well yeah you gotta look out for that

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

quote:

My income is bitcoin-based

New thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

lol "pay a vendor" this guy's totally a drug dealer

Pretty sure I'd rather have a regular drug dealer who can pay two years' rent up front than someone selling Chinese research chemicals whose "income is bitcoin-based" any day. Someone with that kind of money probably has people skills for starters, isn't obviously using and dealing out of his place, probably has a nest egg, and his income stream won't suddenly crash or split in half, not to mention it's actually accepted everywhere.

But really it's based on the fact that big time dealers wear deodorant, if I'm being perfectly honest.