Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

BadLlama posted:

If someone spends most there poo poo on gathering though are they still able to contribute in a meaningful way in pee vee pees? That's generally a problem I hate, I like gathering to a degree and getting stuff others can't but I also like to killmans.

Yes as you can train your class separately; you won't be the 'best' fighter statistically but you won't be so far behind that you can't fight.

With that being said your loadout does matter so if you have gear, discs, and abilities setup for mining/crafting and you come across a group with a Loadout for combat, you will likely lose. Alternatively this also means if you are skilled to be a miner but your loadout is combat and you come across a group with the reverse situation you will likely win (statistically).

The game is also quite skill based so someone with good gear and combat training that sucks will have a hard time vs someone that knows what they are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Why not just ditch stats and skill levels altogether and just make everyone doing the same thing equal? Final Fantasy 14 just flattened the PvP stats to a base level and limited the classes to a handful of PvP only skills and as a result PvP isn't terrible anymore.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

FF14 had pvp?

Also I forgot this game had two different skill sets, your global stuff and then your class stuff. So being able to point things in global while leveling combat stuff in a class is kind of cool and good.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

I'm not saying that's a terrible idea this just isn't the game. This game is made for those of us still going through withdrawal to get a fix of a type of game that just isnt made anymore. The whole premise is to have a modern take on these old MMOs, believe it or not something was lost in modern mmos when they made choices in character development not matter. If this idea is antiquated for you than this game is just not being made for you.

e: Imagine being a heroine addict and then people just stop making it and instead start making injectable marijuanas. Everyone likes injectable marijuanas and they tell you it's the same thing; it's not.

Doggir fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 28, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah but you can deliver on the old style of MMO without being hamstrung by the terrible design decisions of the time. Character choice mattering is good, artificially limiting someones ability to play is not. Whether it comes down to the training actually mattering enough to basically make you useless if you don't sub/don't become self-sufficient is yet to be seen, and I still intend to play it, but this doesn't need to be the Pantheon of PvP games.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Interdependence is a core part of the game, if not being able to do everything yourself is a deal breaker this is really the wrong game.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I thought half the point of time-limited worlds and characters was that they could force people to specialize, and it was ok because it's all impermanent and you can try something else next time.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Pavlov posted:

I thought half the point of time-limited worlds and characters was that they could force people to specialize, and it was ok because it's all impermanent and you can try something else next time.

Being the designated gatherer for your group one match, then being a crafter, fighter or healer the next and having it be on a per-match basis makes way more sense than boxing people a certain role if they want to maximize their effectiveness over Crowfall's lifespan.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Only the worlds are time limited, your training is persistent.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

malhavok posted:

Only the worlds are time limited, your training is persistent.

This has always been the case. with that said your physical character is not permanent and you can try new builds

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
There's a name for games and modes that allow you to do everything yourself: single-player.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SweetBro posted:

There's a name for games and modes that allow you to do everything yourself: single-player.

Sure. Why should I specialize into menial chores or a barely disgused spreadsheet instead of the part of the game that has actual gameplay though?

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Arzachel posted:

Sure. Why should I specialize into menial chores or a barely disgused spreadsheet instead of the part of the game that has actual gameplay though?

Mines will likely be hotly contested though if the alpha is anything to go by.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Arzachel posted:

You shouldn't. There's people who live and breathe that poo poo though.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Arzachel posted:

Teamwork is overpowered. That's why

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Doggir posted:

Mines will likely be hotly contested though if the alpha is anything to go by.

Again, why would anyone go miner when they could just mug the people who do?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

How does it work in EVE, are there no miners in 0.0 space?

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Flavahbeast posted:

How does it work in EVE, are there no miners in 0.0 space?

There are shitloads of miners in 0.0, it was so lucrative that they nerfed it several times.
What usually happens is all the miners in an area are in a standing fleet. If enemies are spotted they sound the alarms and scramble a defense fleet.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Whats the chance of this game going to beta by December? Feels like they had to remake a number of complicated systems several times.*

*Their progress is still pretty good for a kickstarter game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Whats the chance of this game going to beta by December? Feels like they had to remake a number of complicated systems several times.*

*Their progress is still pretty good for a kickstarter game.

I think they're still targeting 2017 for the soft launch, but it depends on how long the CW test is completely hosed for. Decent-ish?

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

My guess is soft launch early next year minimum. They're making big strides but it's a lot to ask them to be done (ish) so soon.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I think they're gonna soft launch in December whether it's ready or not. If they were spending normal game industry money per employee they'd be out of money in March. Obviously, they're not, but they're definitely going to start running out of time & making the most of their "early access" period is gonna be important.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
What is their vision of a soft launch anyways? I mean, they could turn on persistence right now and call it a soft launch but it wouldn't be any good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

What is their vision of a soft launch anyways? I mean, they could turn on persistence right now and call it a soft launch but it wouldn't be any good.

IIRC it was originally all archetypes done, disciplines in, campaign worlds, EKs and economy intertwined and fully functional. Now that the race class split is a thing, that might have changed slightly, but I imagine it's the same basic idea. Basically the general idea of Crowfall needs to be done (or they want it to be anyway); enter campaign, survive the four seasons of PvP conflict, take your spoils out to the next campaign.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Do they have any projected date for release of the final game?

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Minimal viable product / no more wipes.
soft launch won't be done but they need a complete game loop

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Forums gold: https://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/17972-centaur-poses-please-come-up-with-something-better/

quote:

Lighten up? You know nothing of game asthetics or game development. This is a feedback post expressing a suggestion that poses need to be better. No one is mad. It's just a game? Go play your barbie horse on the Wii or something dude if you want something really lighten up. Lol. Ignorance at its finest.

It really baffles me how some people on this forum treat it as just to talk crap to others or tell them they're wrong one way or another and tell others how to feel. This game is in pre alpha and all of you paid money to play it early and give constructive feedback to developers.

Clearly when you tell others to lighten up means that you could care less about the game and more about ego that they don't actually have to begin with.

Please don't come back when this game launches you are a waste of server space. No one wants you. You don't care for the devs or the game.

I have no issues with people disagreeing with me but talking someone to lighten up is rude and insulting. If you're a smart and have good social skills (which you obviously don't) you'd say *Sorry OP I don't think the poses are that bad and here is why* but no you gotta throw in a snarky sentence in there and sound like a tough cookie that you're not.

Congrats your socialskills just went up +5 to whoever read this. +10 hopefully to the person who I am quoting.

In actual crowfall news, 5.3 is coming soonish. Everyone has access to 5.2 at this point. They've hit the point in the 5.2 development cycle where a lot of bugfixes are in the 5.3 branch so idk if it's worth playing atm. They announced that the skill system is going to have a small amount of stored training when you're not training anything- non-VIP about a day, VIP about 30 days. This should make playing non-VIP less physically painful. Other than that, not much to report.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Why are they on 5.3 when they haven't even hit 1.0?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Depends on their versioning scheme. I know a lot of people use "1.0" to mean "released" for games, but that's not universal. For instance with other software it's also popular to use the first number to designate major updates, and the number after the dot to designate minor updates. Often major means breaking backwards compatibility in some way (so, requiring a server wipe in this case).

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

You can't give a serious answer when I'm trying to take the piss outta of an EA game for being EA. That spoils my fun.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h1EfmUJpxI

Yeah so Alt accounts are back in.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

So when is this game complete enough to play?

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Turd Herder posted:

So when is this game complete enough to play?

It's getting there my guess is early access launch next year some time

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Doggir posted:

It's getting there my guess is early access launch next year some time

Saw on redit they just said similar a week ago. It's good but still a lot needs to be added. given 6months to a year it will be easily playable.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Turd Herder posted:

Saw on redit they just said similar a week ago. It's good but still a lot needs to be added. given 6months to a year it will be easily playable.

I think it'll be decent on launch, but otoh I've been in other game betas where the last stretch of 6mo or so development time didn't do jack poo poo to improve the game, so I'll be a bit pessimistic until launch.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
How does it actually compare to Shadowbane? I see they've got a lot of ideas from it (stone dwarfs, the all father, centaurs, minotaurs, half giants) and mention it a lot.

The thing is - what I liked about Shadowbane is probably quite niche and I really can't tell from reading stuff if it's in the game. Basically, it's fun to me when things change. When I log in after a few days and different crests control different areas, there's new alliances to consider, new enemies that might not be our enemies tomorrow.
This came from the changeable world, being able to destroy cities and build your own. And I just can't tell if Crowfall works like that. I know the worlds get wiped and stuff, but how does it actually work compared to that sort of feel in Shadowbane?

Or at least how is it intended to work. I get that it's not quite complete in practice.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Taear posted:

How does it actually compare to Shadowbane? I see they've got a lot of ideas from it (stone dwarfs, the all father, centaurs, minotaurs, half giants) and mention it a lot.

The thing is - what I liked about Shadowbane is probably quite niche and I really can't tell from reading stuff if it's in the game. Basically, it's fun to me when things change. When I log in after a few days and different crests control different areas, there's new alliances to consider, new enemies that might not be our enemies tomorrow.
This came from the changeable world, being able to destroy cities and build your own. And I just can't tell if Crowfall works like that. I know the worlds get wiped and stuff, but how does it actually work compared to that sort of feel in Shadowbane?

Or at least how is it intended to work. I get that it's not quite complete in practice.

It most definitely works like that. Or it is supposed to when done.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

malhavok posted:

It most definitely works like that. Or it is supposed to when done.

That's some seriously good news. I'm tired of worlds where nobody is famous, where nobody has an effect on what's going on.
It's boring and wastes the potential of the medium.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Worth noting that the "basic" campaign ruleset what they're working with now & what they might launch with, is godswar, which is a 3-faction campaign. In that campaign, bc you can't choose who's on your side, forts and keeps are in fixed positions. There will be other rulesets that are much more open-ended, including The Shadow (guild alliances with free-build) and The Dregs (FFA with free-build). The worlds will be extremely dynamic, but temporary, only lasting a few months. But you'll be able to interact with the community through a constellation of player-customized "eternal kingdoms" where you keep your loot from the campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
By the way, 5.3 is coming sometime in the next month. No release date yet, but the update is being tested internally- among the things being added:

- Archetypes are being split into race and class finally. Cleric will be in, the fae and elken races will be in. Racial disciplines will be in. The assassin will I guess not be in after all- the tech to determine backstabs won't be ready for 5.3. Also alt-gender versions of most existing races. They've also added the elken cleric race/class combo.
- A new skill training screen with fully redone skills in several trees. The archetype trees have been split into separate race & class trees.
- A new "time bank" system, where you can bank up to 30 days (VIP) or 24 hours (non-VIP) of training time when you're not training anything & then apply it instantly to skills the next time you're around.
- VIP rework- previously non-VIP could train 1 general and 1 archetype skill, VIP could train 1 general and 3 archetype skills. Now, non-VIP can train 1 general, 1 class, 1 race, and VIP can train two of each. Some restrictions apply.
- Power outfit menu & power tray rework. There will now be a separate non-combat "survival" tray which shows when you're out of combat. Separate outfitted passives for each tray. Better UI for swapping trays & hopefully less jankiness.
- "Action Harvesting". Harvesting tools are now selected from the survival tray (survival tray is minecraft now) which changes your left click to a harvest attack you can use on harvesting nodes. Better early-game spinup too, since each harvesting tool's recipe is 3 wood, explicitly spelled out in the menu instead of having a generic "harvesting tool" recipe, and you now have to craft an axe so new players aren't confused about whether they have one or not. You can punch wood before you get an axe.
- Various movement, jump, jank improvements.

5.4 is probably going to be focused on campaign crafting, getting thralls in, factories, and crafting tables.