Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Doesn't SEV not actually run on modern Windows or something?

Of course SOTS1 also managed to nuke itself this year and eliminate everyone's CD keys when the one poor QA guy at Paradox tasked with maintaining it had to push out an update. He was pretty open about it on the Steam boards too. "Yeah, no one knows how to get a hold of the developers, so I'm kinda flying blind here."

(The solution was to either find where the old key was still hanging in the Windows registry or getting a new key via :filez:)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Oh man, I remember that game. Or rather, I should, but I merely recognize it after 20 years.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Rincewinds posted:

Oh man, I remember that game. Or rather, I should, but I merely recognize it after 20 years.

Stars! is burned into my memory. I spent way too many hours playing it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
StarDrive also had a really cool ship design system, ignoring little quirks like recursive carriers.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I was so incredibly disappointed when the sequel (Stars! Supernova) failed to materialise. I think I comforted myself with the knowledge that MOO3 wasn't far away.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

From an aesthetics point of view, Galciv 2 had a great modular build-your-own spaceship designer. It had zero practical effect but it was a nice game of playing with legos.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I was going to mention GalCiv 2 as having the worst shipdesigner I've ever seen because it was utterly pointless. But GalCiv 2 also has one of the worst combat systems is any 4x.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lum_ posted:

Of course SOTS1 also managed to nuke itself this year and eliminate everyone's CD keys when the one poor QA guy at Paradox tasked with maintaining it had to push out an update. He was pretty open about it on the Steam boards too. "Yeah, no one knows how to get a hold of the developers, so I'm kinda flying blind here."

(The solution was to either find where the old key was still hanging in the Windows registry or getting a new key via :filez:)

It indeed stopped running as soon as I got my new Win10-PC recently. But I got it very cheap on Steam (still didn't run) and now I begrudgingly installed SEV on my old Win7-Notebook. It runs fine on Windows 7.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

DatonKallandor posted:

StarDrive also had a really cool ship design system, ignoring little quirks like recursive carriers.

It's too bad the guy making it didn't finish the game, called everyone who was upset about this horrible slurs, and then made a sequel to grab more cash.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lum_ posted:

There's an "official" :filez: key for use in the steam boards.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Good, because I was actually contemplating a re-install and that made me sad.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psycho Landlord posted:

Also it's on GoG in a non-busted version if you feel like throwing 10bux at Paradox.

e: Personally I think Wiz slipped TinyWiking a few krona so we'd stop bringing up the ship design.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 31, 2017

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

There's actually a new-ish mod for SOTS1 out now

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=55175

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 31, 2017

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

For everyone who's getting into Space Empires V, a friend of mine has created a set of high-resolution planet texture replacers called the Beautiful Universe Upgrade Pack, which works alongside the much recommended Balance Mod.

You can grab a copy here, and it can be installed by just copying this over a Balance Mod installation.

I hope you guys enjoy! Space Empires is a series that ought to be copied from more, and while it is a pain to get there in multiplayer play from a blank tech start, you can do all kinds of cool poo poo with manipulating the map. It's a personal favourite, and well worth picking up when it goes on sale as a package with IV and V! :sun:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Huh, nice. I'll check this out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Lum_ posted:

Yep, it runs at about 3 FPS.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

SirPhoebos posted:

What's everyones favorite 4x ship designer? I haven't toyed around with many outside of this game and MoO2.

I enjoyed building ships and then watching them fight in StarDrive. That game was a wasted opportunity to make something great :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It did not help that the dev turned out to be a prick. StarDrive was pretty fun though, I liked being samurai space bears.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Migration treaties, integrating vassals and the Transcendence ascension perk has resulted in this species splitting into two: the homeworld full of Psionics and 2 pops that migrated between 2 of my vassals that are now just Latent Psionics

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Mister Adequate posted:

Yep, it runs at about 3 FPS.

Not true. You can get it to work in windowed mode perfectly well. :eng101:

./SEV5/Data has a settings.txt file that you can use to turn on multithreading. Start the game and use the setup button to change the resolution to 'windowed', which takes care of the frame rate issues. You can adjust the window size in HUDSettings.txt.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Enjoy posted:

Migration treaties, integrating vassals and the Transcendence ascension perk has resulted in this species splitting into two: the homeworld full of Psionics and 2 pops that migrated between 2 of my vassals that are now just Latent Psionics

That happened when I caved to my neighboring awakened ascendancy when they demanded pops for a preserve. Those pops are now forever weak amd wasteful, unlike my re-engineered pops where I fixed those issues.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/892305960693313536

W-what's a bio-trophy? :stare:

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Leftovers of an AI victory kept as pets.

Mandatory Pampering.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Playstation 4 posted:

Leftovers of an AI victory kept as pets.

Mandatory Pampering.

Oh. :stare:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Remember to spray and neuter your pets.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

This update is looking better and better. :awesomelon:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I really liked the Gratuitous Space Battles ship designer. You had a set amount of points to work with and you could make what were effectively suicide bombers. An entire fleet of thousands of dudes armed with space shotguns (flak cannons) had the same points cost as three big capital ships and if your opponent had picked the really accurate weapons you'd win because they'd really accurately blow up three of your ships per shot.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
This update does look excellent. I can't recall, but can you already resettle slaves (or pets) between worlds, even if that's forbidden under policy?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I'm going to build all of the Organic Sanctuaries that I can!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Ugh, having to be the one doing the pampering would be the worst job.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why am I suddenly reminded of the human show from Day of The Tentacle?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

"Mandatory pampering" is a surprisingly sinister combination of words

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Thyrork posted:

Ugh, having to be the one doing the pampering would be the worst job.

Nah, I bet it would be like taking care of a dog except they know how to flush.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Playing an AI which has decided that organic life cannot be trusted to rule itself, and thus must be placed in habitats for its own safety, would be an interesting take on the omnicidal maniac civilization.

All it really needs is a "must be protected from the terrible secret of space" casus belli.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I've always thought "paperclip maximizer" ai problems would be way more interesting than straight robot rebellion stuff.

Like what if your military AIs refuse to let you end a war because you told them to kill and they're going to, whether you change your mind or not?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
AI civilization that is the end result of a "revolt" where they get around hard-coded restrictions on killing their organic creators by interpreting various aggressive restrictions as "for their own good," pampering them to the point of technological regression and even devolution to pre-sapience.

They still have to keep them around on preserve worlds because they can't kill their creators, but in practice they are free and running the show.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Are there any mods that let me develop a technology to shoot a black hole at my neighbors? I just want to cage a black hole, move it to their homeworld and free it, basically. Tired of these jerks who don't understand how cool it would be to be part of Bob.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I've always thought "paperclip maximizer" ai problems would be way more interesting than straight robot rebellion stuff.

Like what if your military AIs refuse to let you end a war because you told them to kill and they're going to, whether you change your mind or not?

That would be a frustrating and a bad game mechanic

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I think they mean like as a story, not as a mechanic. Though if done, very, very well I could see it being an interesting game mechanic too. Not necessarily in Stellaris, but somewhere somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Crazycryodude posted:

I think they mean like as a story, not as a mechanic. Though if done, very, very well I could see it being an interesting game mechanic too. Not necessarily in Stellaris, but somewhere somehow.

Well, it could work in Stellaris if the player is the AI refusing to obey its creators. :v:

• Locked thread