Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

What's everyones favorite 4x ship designer? I haven't toyed around with many outside of this game and MoO2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Am I correct in thinking there's no "only show highest tech version" button in the ship designer?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bloodly posted:

Just checked Steam Workshop, Stellaris Mods forums, and a google search. No dice. What mod is this?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=902526212

Silfae does cool stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

turn off the TV posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1uko9zPhs4

I mean just compare that to Homeworld 2 or Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, which both released before 2005.
The ship modelling in SotS1 is amazing. Every race has a very distinct ship style, and changing ship sections drastically changes their profile. Hiver ships look like the tanky, bug-filled slowboats they are. Morrigi have wings, so their ships are get taller rather than longer. They look like flying cliffs with lasers on. It cannot be emphasised enough that the Human asteroid chucker dreadnaught is a literal giant six shooter. Researching the Zuul language unlocks a new "Jesus gently caress we need more guns and armour" section.

Changing ship sections drastically alters your ship silhouette. Each gun is individually modelled and individually targetable. Even different engine tech levels have different weapon profiles. And I haven't even mentioned command ships, plague ships, hiver gates and zuul boreholes, swarmers and von Neumann probes, or Ortgay.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Awesome, a 4x for ants is an untapped market.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

SirPhoebos posted:

What's everyones favorite 4x ship designer? I haven't toyed around with many outside of this game and MoO2.

For detailed, low ship count combat it's SotS/MoO2. For mass ship counts, it's MoO3 - that one trades visual fidelity (no individually animated turrets, weapon ports are abstracted into generic models based on hull volume) for design flexibiltiy and scale. Nothing like a 200+ count of one-shot PD missiles swarming out to at the start of a fight or hundreds of ultra-low volume basic laser interceptors swarming around the field in a death sphere.

Like a lot of things Stellaris, the MoO3 solution is probably where they should have gone - having individual turret placement doesn't matter in Stellaris because there's no location based damage. All it does is restrict the depth of your ship design.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 29, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Xik posted:

Plot twist: This guy actually rules my empire and nobody wants to oppose him. :psyduck:

I have had this happen a few times when running democratic governments, or had situations where the only other candidates are admirals or scientists I didn't want leaving their jobs. Is there a way to make the game spawn "dummy leaders" during elections who can't be appointed to things like research or fleets just to there is competition for office? I know the game can do this for, say, heirs and faction leaders.

(Now that I think about it, having your heir be a real leader that you can appoint to things would be a cool benefit for running dynastic governments...)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Splicer posted:

The ship modelling in SotS1 is amazing. Every race has a very distinct ship style, and changing ship sections drastically changes their profile. Hiver ships look like the tanky, bug-filled slowboats they are. Morrigi have wings, so their ships are get taller rather than longer. They look like flying cliffs with lasers on. It cannot be emphasised enough that the Human asteroid chucker dreadnaught is a literal giant six shooter. Researching the Zuul language unlocks a new "Jesus gently caress we need more guns and armour" section.

Changing ship sections drastically alters your ship silhouette. Each gun is individually modelled and individually targetable. Even different engine tech levels have different weapon profiles. And I haven't even mentioned command ships, plague ships, hiver gates and zuul boreholes, swarmers and von Neumann probes, or Ortgay.

The problem is that video is from SotS2, which he correctly described earlier as digital vomit. SotS2 looks bad, and even at it's most playable that was never addressed.

SotS1 looked and played fuckin great though, and if Stellaris does end up cribbing more from past space games going on I really want them to have more SotS-style menaces and FTL options.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Depending on which LEX event chain that planet is part of I would not necessarily get too attached to it. But good luck!

My God, what have we done?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Psycho Landlord posted:

The problem is that video is from SotS2, which he correctly described earlier as digital vomit. SotS2 looks bad, and even at it's most playable that was never addressed.

SotS1 looked and played fuckin great though, and if Stellaris does end up cribbing more from past space games going on I really want them to have more SotS-style menaces and FTL options.
SotS2 was the last game I ever pre-ordered. It's literally the reason I don't pre-order games anymore.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

My problem with SoTS 2 is largely that the ships are incredibly busy and a lot of them have butt ugly tiling textures. They wind up looking incomprehensible.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

SirPhoebos posted:

Space Empires V. Also Aurora :v:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think a cool way to handle ship design would be SotS style hull types and a kind of 'advanced' or 'workhorse' design designation. It would be a way to grandfather older weapon and subsystem types kind of like HoI4 handles production efficiency.

But really, Stellaris's most glaring crime is the tile based pop system. I recently picked up Stars in Shadow which is a middling MoO clone but it handles populations well by giving each planet a number of biomes that various races have an affinity for, and designate max population by which races are present on a planet and which biomes they are adapted for.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007

Splicer posted:

SotS2 was the last game I ever pre-ordered. It's literally the reason I don't pre-order games anymore.

Best refund I ever got.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I recently picked up Stars in Shadow which is a middling MoO clone but it handles populations well by giving each planet a number of biomes that various races have an affinity for, and designate max population by which races are present on a planet and which biomes they are adapted for.

I've actually been eyeing this one recently, mind giving me a rundown on it?

EDIT VVV Still got hosed tho

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 30, 2017

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I got SotS2 as part of a humble bundle. I did not directly pay for it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Stars in Shadow is surprisingly good, especially for an indie MoO knock-off. The aforementioned population system is really good and cool, the art is interesting in it's own comic book way, and the gameplay is, if not perfect, competent and enjoyable. Also the factions are all cool, my personal favorite are the super-scientist chemophagic giant isopods that love to live inside the iceballs everyone else hates/in the deep ocean on Earth-like planets.

If you can afford the $25 it's a good buy, and if you see it on sale it's a must-buy if you like MoO type games at all.

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007
Is it just random how many leviathans spawn? I'm playing on a medium map and seem to only have 2 (Dimensional Horror and Automated Dreadnought). I'm pretty sure there is usually more than this? Or there a way to make more spawn? As they are pretty much my favourite part of this game and only 2 is a bit disappointing..

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I only had the Enigmatic Fortress in my last medium playthrough, unless some other empires sniped them from me.

Quantum Milkman
Jun 18, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Space Empires V. Also Aurora :v:

I didn't play much of V, but for sure the ship designer in Space Empires IV was amazing. Every game that has a ship designer should be that good.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Quantum Milkman posted:

I didn't play much of V, but for sure the ship designer in Space Empires IV was amazing. Every game that has a ship designer should be that good.

I'm still playing V and I love the way I can design everything. I especially love how I can design my own space shipyards. Or even mobile shipyards. Which then can build more shipyards in hard-to-reach places like in the middle of an asteroid field at the edge of a system. SEV also wins for the incredible customization you can do with races. I have spend countless hours coming up with new species, their histories and their biology. (Or "biology" for the crystalline and mechanoid folks I made up)

That game was nuts.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I need to try SotS again, I guess. I bounced off the range/refueling mechanic early game iirc.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Thank you. I am prepared to flail helplessly for the next few hours figuring everything out.

Communal goon game? :munch:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

I need to try SotS again, I guess. I bounced off the range/refueling mechanic early game iirc.

Number one secret to not bouncing off SotS - don't start with humans. They're not the everyman race they are in literally every other space 4x.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Rorac posted:

Communal goon game? :munch:

Goons made it nearly four whole pages before their first accidental warcrime.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I've tried many times and never got into SotS. I need my actual empire building.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
So this is probably going to be a dumb question but what's the best way to win wars in this game? I tried invading a neighboring empire, dropping armies onto the planets but eventually my fleet got really spread out and it became a huge pain to win, is it better to just make smaller war demands like 'liberate planet' and slowly whittle the enemy down planet by planet?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Tarantula posted:

I tried invading a neighboring empire, dropping armies onto the planets but eventually my fleet got really spread out and it became a huge pain to win

Welcome to Stellaris.

Every war boils down to choosing a realistic amount of warscore for goals, find and engage their fleet and destroy it since every war only has one decisive battle and the loser is obliterated, then split up your fleet and spend several game years slowly whittling down their planets as they are unable to resist, and peace out when boredom overtakes you.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Palleon posted:

Welcome to Stellaris.

Every war boils down to choosing a realistic amount of warscore for goals, find and engage their fleet and destroy it since every war only has one decisive battle and the loser is obliterated, then split up your fleet and spend several game years slowly whittling down their planets as they are unable to resist, and peace out when boredom overtakes you.

Ok cool, I figured I might have been greedy with my aims.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Saros posted:

Goons made it nearly four whole pages before their first accidental warcrime.

"Accidental" he says

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
An Awakened Empire declared war on my protectorate. He had a psi drive so could basically warp in to whatever system he pleased, but fortunately I was just two months away from adding an Ascendancy perk, so I chose 33% extra effectiveness vs fallen or awakened empires. Oh and I had a Pirate Carrack.

The enemy (300k) decided on invading one of my major systems near the border (3 planets cranking out half my navy). He'd warp in and travel through the system to one particular planet that had a shield generator. When he'd begin bombardment, I'd warp into one of his systems with my Carrack and 75k fleet and attack a science or mining station on the rim of the system. He'd warp in, but by this time the target had been destroyed and my fleet was busy warping back to my main fortified system.

The enemy fleet would then warp back to my triplet system and begin bombardment again, at which point my repaired fleet (from the emergency jumps, almost got caught quite a few times) would return to the target system and repeat the process.

After nearly FOUR HOURS of this, barely hanging on, emptying my sector reserves, losing science ships trying to salvage advanced tech and pumping out fleet after fleet of battleships, he finally offered a white peace.

The citizens of the Fareeni Republic are jubilant. For we know that survival is victory.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

For the record, you don't even have to be all that careful about it. The invasion AI is terrible, so you can just fly around with armies retaking planets after they leave, and they'll wind up just running around bombarding and attacking the same 4-5 planets until you can white peace.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

PittTheElder posted:

For the record, you don't even have to be all that careful about it. The invasion AI is terrible, so you can just fly around with armies retaking planets after they leave, and they'll wind up just running around bombarding and attacking the same 4-5 planets until you can white peace.

As far as I can tell the war AI is just:
1. In peacetime, park entire fleet in home system
2. War declared, send entire fleet to nearest enemy system. Send fleet of unaccompanied troop ships one jump away.
2a. If shipyard in enemy system outmatches AI fleet, attack nearest frontier outpost.
3. If successful, bombard enemy planet until defenses are zero.
4. If troop ships are still alive, invade enemy planet.
5. If troop ships are dead, sit on enemy planet until more troop ships are rebuilt.
6. Goto 2

Likewise, if you invade an enemy planet the AI will always peel off small ships to bombard the occupied planet and then send in troop ships. You can short circuit the AI's plans by just building a small outpost with a sub space lure to kill the stragglers as they enter the system.

War is probably the most fun you can have in Stellaris, which is why I hope the fix the deathball mechanic. There's no reason ever not to have one gigantic fleet, and all wars are basically decided by one initial battle when two giant wads of opposing ships careen into each other. The winner of that battle can just run around killing the other guy's shipyards and since they take a year to rebuild there isn't a whole lot the loser can do to rebuild.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 31, 2017

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Libluini posted:

I'm still playing V and I love the way I can design everything. I especially love how I can design my own space shipyards. Or even mobile shipyards. Which then can build more shipyards in hard-to-reach places like in the middle of an asteroid field at the edge of a system. SEV also wins for the incredible customization you can do with races. I have spend countless hours coming up with new species, their histories and their biology. (Or "biology" for the crystalline and mechanoid folks I made up)

That game was nuts.

Any mod recommendations for SEIV that work with the AI?

Also did you try BewareOfStrangeWarpPoints? It was a roguelike that stole the ship customization features for the pc and the enemy. So you try to find allied planets to trick out your ship while hunting cloaked shipyards.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SirPhoebos posted:

Star Ruler 2.

e:

Yes, you get to build ships with hexes. No premade hulls only crap.

Truga fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 31, 2017

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

All within a few years, I've just had:
Fallen Empire awaken and war mongering
Fanatic Purifiers eat all their neighbours and start leering at me
Scourge show up in my Federation partner and start gutting them.

I'm in the dead centre of this mess. The game's finally gotten interesting!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

My first game was a lesson in maintaining a fleet in being. A full fleet is worth way more than the losses an outgunned fleet can inflict.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

habituallyred posted:

Any mod recommendations for SEIV that work with the AI?

Also did you try BewareOfStrangeWarpPoints? It was a roguelike that stole the ship customization features for the pc and the enemy. So you try to find allied planets to trick out your ship while hunting cloaked shipyards.

I never played the fourth game, sorry. For SEV, I could suggest the Balance Mod. Captain Kwok is still working on that thing, if you can believe it!

And I think I heard of that other game at some point, but I can't find it on Google, so no idea if I would like it or not. :shrug:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

I never played the fourth game, sorry. For SEV, I could suggest the Balance Mod. Captain Kwok is still working on that thing, if you can believe it!

And I think I heard of that other game at some point, but I can't find it on Google, so no idea if I would like it or not. :shrug:

lol now i have to reinstall this dead gay game

maybe we could set up a game on http://pbw.spaceempires.net/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cease to Hope posted:

Real thing, not a bug. The pool for faction leaders and civ leaders are scientists, admirals, generals, and governors. These are mostly generated based on the % population of pops in your empire, but they can come from events as well. This used to be how you'd end up with Praethoryn presidents, too.

ALL HAIL PRESIDENT FLEET CONSCIOUSNESS.

• Locked thread