Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Dormammu confirmed on the MVC Facebook page, him and Firebrand are in the build playable at Gamescom, Aug 22nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

At least Dormammu is in the game and wasn't deleted + copied over someone else a la "a function"

I don't give a poo poo about firebrand and arthur, choose one and leave the other behind, way too many mvc3 layover.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

DLC Inc posted:

I don't give a poo poo about firebrand and arthur

Counterpoint; they are my stubby friends and they are excellent

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah Firebrand and Arthur are awesome. They're from a cool, under appreciated game, they have unique playstyles, and they're visually different from the rest of the cast.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Two under appreciated games, depending on how you view Gargoyle's Quest and/or Demon's Crest.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've never played Demon's Crest but I hear it's based.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
this game comes out next month right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fadam posted:

I've never played Demon's Crest but I hear it's based.

demon's crest is real good and is better than mvci probably will be

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://twitter.com/ChromeAlchemist/status/894277651397038081

why

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

"this mechanic will be divisive"

because it's poo poo? lol

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
it's a mechanic designed specifically to buff the marvel characters that need to be shilled that have beams while heavily loving over capcom characters and lesser marvel ones

marvel cinematic universe vs anime punching bags: infinite dlc

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
More proof that MVC2 was a happy accident.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
its weird to think that there are more live action Marvel Cinematic Universe characters with beams than there are capcom anime characters with beams

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

C. Everett Koop posted:

More proof that MVC2 was a happy accident.

I already talked about this earlier in the thread but a lot of what makes mvc2 tick was deliberate. great games rarely happen on accident

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Zand posted:

I already talked about this earlier in the thread but a lot of what makes mvc2 tick was deliberate. great games rarely happen on accident

almost every single high level technique in mvc3 was known by the devs, with the main exception being tac infinite poo poo
they knew about plinkdashing in vanilla alongside XF grab punish/bait, they just thought nobody could be assed to do it

btw the window for reflect is like 4-5f and the list of reflectable projectiles is way bigger than you think- i managed to reflect zero's lightning and convert it into a combo at evo

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

the lightning from the lightning loops? Huh.

Aren't they any after effect of zeros dash slash move? Does reflecting it make the lightning go the other direction or just change ownership

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

thinking about it, it's a pretty good prank on capcoms part that they finally relent to the people whining about wanting megaman in the game but also put him in a game where all of his main attacks can be reflected by anyone

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
What the hell is that mechanic meant for? I thought this game was going to be newbie-friendly but that's one of the least newbie-friendly mechanics I can think of. Newbies who spam fireballs will hate it because their own projectiles can backfire, and newbies who complain about spam will hate it because they have a hard-enough time jumping over fireballs, let alone pushblocking them. I'm a really casual fighting game person but that mechanic just seems... godawful.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 7, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

What the hell is that mechanic meant for?

youtube/eventhub comment posters who bitched about morridoom

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

youtube/eventhub comment posters who bitched about morridoom

I'm curious what pro games are going to look like in the end. Will people avoid using raw fireballs entirely, or will every game turn into Link's fight with Ganondorf?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the former most likely, aside from situations where you can simply overwhelm people (like under the effects of a gem probably)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
since there aren't assists fireballs aren't useful for confirming into fullscreen assist punishes (obviously) and they don't seem to do enough chip to be worth having them reflected

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

one of the gems vskill is phoenix's homing fireball, how are you gonna use this in neutral when you have all the time in the world to reflect a slow moving ball that actively tries to hit you?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
If they have all the time in the world, you are doing it wrong.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

darealkooky posted:

one of the gems vskill is phoenix's homing fireball, how are you gonna use this in neutral when you have all the time in the world to reflect a slow moving ball that actively tries to hit you?

Eh. it's a slow-moving projectile, the point is more covering your approach/setting up traps than it is using it by itself.

I like how yet again Capcom makes a mechanic that wants to be newbie-friendly but effectively only works to kill off certain gameplans.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Dias posted:

Eh. it's a slow-moving projectile, the point is more covering your approach/setting up traps than it is using it by itself.

I like how yet again Capcom makes a mechanic that wants to be newbie-friendly but effectively only works to kill off certain gameplans.

Every game design feature that is meant to be newbie friendly can be exploited by more experienced players, because there's no way to artificially compensate for a lack of knowledge. It's a Sisyphean task to close the skill gap through system mechanics.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Fellblade posted:

If they have all the time in the world, you are doing it wrong.

first thing you did wrong was play mvci, might as well tack on some more wrong at that point

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I can't believe there's only like, 4 new characters so far

I'm not even counting X because he's just Zero but without a cool sword

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Reiley posted:

Every game design feature that is meant to be newbie friendly can be exploited by more experienced players, because there's no way to artificially compensate for a lack of knowledge. It's a Sisyphean task to close the skill gap through system mechanics.

It's like how parents tried to pacify their autistic children by letting them play smash bros but they turned it to their advantage

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Haha they're bad because they have autism

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

dangerdoom volvo posted:

It's like how parents tried to pacify their autistic children by letting them play smash bros but they turned it to their advantage

Don't be ignorant.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Reiley posted:

Don't be ignorant.

That ship has sailed long ago.

Speaking of hopeless failures holy poo poo we're almost a month away from release and we didn't get a single open beta, barely got any gameplay footage (a lot of phone-cam BS) and like, no promotional efforts at all.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
how is this game not f2p with a cash shop

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Do fighting games do open betas?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Rising Thunder, the perfect fighting game, did.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zelder posted:

Do fighting games do open betas?

Not open, that was a bad choice of words, but some sort of beta at all has been a pretty common substitute for loctests since SFV, be it open, closed or pre-sale exclusive. DBFZ is getting a beta too. I wouldn't be surprised if MVCI got a surprise one a week or two from release, but it's baffling how lackadaiscal they've been with...well, everything regarding this game.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I think that's almost entirely to blame on the fact that it's being rushed as poo poo (seemingly more so than every other game ever).

We didn't get a beta, we got a demo, it was just so rear end awful we've done our best to forget it exists.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Zelder posted:

Haha they're bad because they have autism

No smash is bad autism is fine. Well autism itself is pretty bad but people with it are fine

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Did anyone get a chance to see the "MvCI and Esports" presentation video that Capcom accidentally made public on Youtube? It's down now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I watched it if you have any questions, I don't know what to start with describing it.

- About 1 minute or so showing how the series/tournaments have grown since Xmen vs SF to UMVC3, old tournament footage spliced with footage from Infinite CG cutscenes, was actually quite cool and would be a decent trailer for competitive MVCI.
- MVCI 'esports' for 2017 will be mostly online based qualification and then part of Capcom Cup in 2018
- revenue/costing for suits and TO's

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 8, 2017

• Locked thread