Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Euron's fleet got there and pulled off a cunning plan, obviously enough time passed for his fleet to get there

lmao can't argue with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I guess the problem is why the Lannisters expected an attack on a castle on the other side of the continent. Secondarily, how between Tyrion and Varys, two of the three most knowledgeable characters in the story, neither knew that Casterly Rock was out of gold, even though they know King's Landing is in arrears with the Iron Bank.

Ever since the show moved past the books, distances have meant little, what with Euron's fleet being pretty much everywhere, twenty good men, the Amazing Varys, and so on. But now characters jump around so much that it can no longer be hand-waved as accelerated time or simultaneous timelines, since the writers made the mistake of giving hard dates. Jaime is now besieging and conquering castles in two weeks flat, time for travel included. Castles whose entire backstory is that they have lots of food. Hmm.

When time and distance mean nothing--not just little, but nothing at all--everything else is consequently less meaningful as well.

But I know, I know--the show is about characters. And who can forget really deep, well-loved characters like Biker Euron, who has had like six scenes in two seasons, and the Sand Snakes, who luckily don't have any more?

Of course we have larger questions to answer, like if Dany will finally be punished by the story for being totally incompetent and stupid at every turn. The story (through Olenna in episode two) yelled at us that she would be punished, but we'll see. A lot of people have told Dany that she sucks and should go away, only for her to stamp her foot and remind everyone she has dragons, and therefore wins. She is definitely my favorite character!

Name Change fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 1, 2017

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It's worth noting that when the Unsullied left, the plan was still to bring up Dorne's army to siege King's Landing.

In which case it was still a sound strategic maneuver to remove the Lannister army from the equation, keeping them from attempting to break the siege.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i loving HATED the scene where Jaime explained their strategy and tactics

get this loving tactical realism out of my tits

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Who's in charge of the Dornish forces now?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

some guy on the bus posted:

The many tens of thousands of troops between the Tyrells and the Martells do not exist if there is not a named character there.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

dont even fink about it posted:

Ever since the show moved past the books, distances have meant little, what with Euron's fleet being pretty much everywhere, twenty good men, the Amazing Varys, and so on. But now characters jump around so much that it can no longer be hand-waved as accelerated time or simultaneous timelines, since the writers made the mistake of giving hard dates. Jaime is now besieging and conquering castles in two weeks flat, time for travel included. Castles whose entire backstory is that they have lots of food. Hmm.

The Lannister army can move independently of Jaime. It could have mustered and moved out an arbitrary amount of time before Cersei had her meeting with the Iron Bank guy, and Jaime just hopped on when it was close to Highgarden to conduct the actual fighting. A single person with a small entourage and replacement horses moves way faster than any army, after all. And it specifically wasn't a siege, but a regular assault where they stormed the defences in short order. Why the Tyrell garrison got owned so effortlessly is another question, but most likely they were simply severely outnumbered by Tarly's defection.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

some guy on the bus posted:

In a feudal society, the idea of "Dornish" forces starts to fall apart with the entire ruling family being dead or captured. Realistically, they might be having their own little civil war to see who gets to be the new boss, neatly leaving them out of the picture for the rest of the show.

Perestroika posted:

The Lannister army can move independently of Jaime. It could have mustered and moved out an arbitrary amount of time before Cersei had her meeting with the Iron Bank guy, and Jaime just hopped on when it was close to Highgarden to conduct the actual fighting. A single person with a small entourage and replacement horses moves way faster than any army, after all. And it specifically wasn't a siege, but a regular assault where they stormed the defences in short order. Why the Tyrell garrison got owned so effortlessly is another question, but most likely they were simply severely outnumbered by Tarly's defection.
I mean, if we take the Fantasy France idea to heart, during the hundred years' war, the king of France at one point couldn't extend his authority beyond the city of Paris itself. The Tyrells might have a great potential, but it relies on everyone actually following their lead. It's pretty easy to suddenly be severely outnumbered if you actual directly controlled land is maybe 10% of your total, with everything else being controlled by subjects of dubious loyalty.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Perestroika posted:

The Lannister army can move independently of Jaime.

Meanwhile other armies cannot move independently of their named characters. Questions of dubious loyalty or feudal logistics do not apply to the Lannisters, who have spent the past seven seasons making enemies, and are headed by Queen Brotherfucker, who was publicly-humiliated and rules only through fear.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No, he arrived after the Lannisters had retreated from the castle and the Unsullied were like "wtf", almost as if he was in on the plan. Unless you think the entire siege assault was launched immediately when Grey Worm got there and was over in a day...

It was over in a day. Grey Worm had a hidden entrance. Sieging a fortification only takes a couple hours longer than it takes to get inside.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It's also worth noting that Cersei and Jaime specifically wooed Tarly because the other Tyrell bannermen looked to him for leadership.

Once he went to the Lannisters taking Highgarden was more of a formality.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Tyrion and Varys, two of the three most knowledgeable characters in the story, neither knew that Casterly Rock was out of gold, even though they know King's Landing is in arrears with the Iron Bank

50% of Tywins fear/respect came from being rich as gently caress

you can be sure he was gonna keep that poo poo secret

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

But didn't Tyrion mention earlier in the series that the Lannister wealth was most indebted to the Iron Bank?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Constant posted:

50% of Tywins fear/respect came from being rich as gently caress

you can be sure he was gonna keep that poo poo secret

okay, but, Tyrion grew up at casterly rock. a mine that's run for generations running out of gold is not something that happens all at once, or secretly.

the answer is that grrm handed the showrunners a checklist that included 'dany takes casterly rock but it's out of gold!' and they checked that off in the last episode.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 1, 2017

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Two of my favorite shows are Gotham and Hannibal. In Gotham, every three episodes is some ridiculous bullshit where a super strong, super smart, super well provisioned villain concocts a new plot to bring a huge city to its knees. I don't care about realism because the performances are nice and hammy, the show doesn't take itself all too seriously in the first place, and the production design and direction are very well done.

In Hannibal, the entire FBI spends most of their time vainly trying to make the connection that a man named 'Hannibal' is a 'Cannibal', and they travel up and down the eastern half of the U.S. within a matter of minutes. In one instance, they went from Michigan to Virginia to Baltimore and the time of day didn't change. I don't care about this because the show has an engaging plot, great performances, and is shot beautifully.

Game of Throne has reached the point where, as mentioned before, it's basically a checklist of plot points described in boring statically shot conversations with a bunch of humiliating fan service thrown in for good measure. I'm only open to suspending disbelief in so far as the show does other things that earn the suspension. Unfortunately I'm now tied to a show I really, really have grown to hate because it's the only way I'll ever get a resolution to a story that I made the mistake of spending over a decade caring about. There's also an element of social commitment, where I feel like I have to be conversant in this awful story. Believe me, I would love to quit. My sole remaining joy in watching the show is pointing out the flaws, and coming up with (not very good) ideas about how the plot will resolve that are still, somehow, leagues better than anything the show's writers seem capable of.

Anyway, gently caress you idiots, and gently caress this terrible forum. Peace and love.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In a feudal society, the idea of "Dornish" forces starts to fall apart with the entire ruling family being dead or captured. Realistically, they might be having their own little civil war to see who gets to be the new boss, neatly leaving them out of the picture for the rest of the show.

Didn't Oberyn have some leftover daughters back in Dorne?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

Two of my favorite shows are Gotham and Hannibal. In Gotham, every three episodes is some ridiculous bullshit where a super strong, super smart, super well provisioned villain concocts a new plot to bring a huge city to its knees. I don't care about realism because the performances are nice and hammy, the show doesn't take itself all too seriously in the first place, and the production design and direction are very well done.

In Hannibal, the entire FBI spends most of their time vainly trying to make the connection that a man named 'Hannibal' is a 'Cannibal', and they travel up and down the eastern half of the U.S. within a matter of minutes. In one instance, they went from Michigan to Virginia to Baltimore and the time of day didn't change. I don't care about this because the show has an engaging plot, great performances, and is shot beautifully.

Game of Throne has reached the point where, as mentioned before, it's basically a checklist of plot points described in boring statically shot conversations with a bunch of humiliating fan service thrown in for good measure. I'm only open to suspending disbelief in so far as the show does other things that earn the suspension. Unfortunately I'm now tied to a show I really, really have grown to hate because it's the only way I'll ever get a resolution to a story that I made the mistake of spending over a decade caring about. There's also an element of social commitment, where I feel like I have to be conversant in this awful story. Believe me, I would love to quit. My sole remaining joy in watching the show is pointing out the flaws, and coming up with (not very good) ideas about how the plot will resolve that are still, somehow, leagues better than anything the show's writers seem capable of.

Anyway, gently caress you idiots, and gently caress this terrible forum. Peace and love.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Roman Reigns posted:

in the books he did. in the show, who cares.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

Says the guy that collects Anime girl pillows.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/b_cogman/status/892430246149931008

Whoa, this is huge

sector_corrector posted:

Te absolvo of your burden to watch a show you hate and also of writing hundreds of words explaining why to a thread full of people you have no respect for and despise. Be at peace.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 1, 2017

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What does our fave movies and TV shows have to do with Game of Thrones? What's he talking about?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Folks if it's just a checklist to you, why not give yourself an hour back each week and then you can look at an actual checklist after the show is over to see what you missed.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i, for one, welcome our giant checklist overlords

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also people watching just to get the book ending will probably be disappointed. Other than the broadest strokes, I don't think they'll even be the same endings at this point.

Assuming GRRM ever finishes so we can find out, of course.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

[the episode 2 recap finishes, episode 3 begins on the screen. a caption at the bottom reads "like 6 loving months later, whatever"]

"oh i never thought of that" -tv iv posters

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought this checklist was garbage personally

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No, he arrived after the Lannisters had retreated from the castle and the Unsullied were like "wtf", almost as if he was in on the plan. Unless you think the entire siege assault was launched immediately when Grey Worm got there and was over in a day...

Winterfall is about 1/2 of a United States' march from Riverrun.

The show only ever shows traveling/campaigning when it's used to build character, which would be nice to see more of this season but drat "teleportation lol" got old in like season 3. Do we need to see Euron or Grey Worm interacting with mooks at this point? There's no interesting characters with them so I'd rather plot happen and end the thing already.

I'd like to see Euron interacting with anybody in his own forces because they have been ultimately responsible for every victory in this war so far.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

I guess the problem is why the Lannisters expected an attack on a castle on the other side of the continent. Secondarily, how between Tyrion and Varys, two of the three most knowledgeable characters in the story, neither knew that Casterly Rock was out of gold, even though they know King's Landing is in arrears with the Iron Bank.

When time and distance mean nothing--not just little, but nothing at all--everything else is consequently less meaningful as well.

But I know, I know--the show is about characters. And who can forget really deep, well-loved characters like Biker Euron, who has had like six scenes in two seasons, and the Sand Snakes, who luckily don't have any more?

Of course we have larger questions to answer, like if Dany will finally be punished by the story for being totally incompetent and stupid at every turn. The story (through Olenna in episode two) yelled at us that she would be punished, but we'll see. A lot of people have told Dany that she sucks and should go away, only for her to stamp her foot and remind everyone she has dragons, and therefore wins. She is definitely my favorite character!

It's like Dexter by the end. (though not nearly as bad of course) The total abandonment of attention to detail with realism meant no scene had any tension. Dexter would find some dumb way out that made no sense even though this murder was clearly and obviously impossible to get away with, everybody knew it, it became impossible to effectively depict any real suspense.. The saving grace of game of thrones is there is a massive cast of characters to care about so it's easier to ignore the bad and enjoy the rest that is still good. And a lot is still good.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This meme, where people who complain about the disastrous writing are are actually only upset about time skips and tactical accuracy, is my new favorite thing. :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The meme is "the people complaining about the disastrous writing don't know what they are talking about".

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BiohazrD posted:

[the episode 2 recap finishes, episode 3 begins on the screen. a caption at the bottom reads "like 6 loving months later, whatever"]

"oh i never thought of that" -tv iv posters

Seriously. I don't understand why accurate travel logistics > expedient pacing for people in here. I mean, sure, ideally it'd do both at once. But it was way easier to do that in S1; the "filler" scenes contained relevant characterization and story.

Would people honestly prefer a 15-episode season where this week, we cut to Jon and Davos shooting the poo poo on a boat every couple of minutes? And the Unsullied sitting silently on a different boat?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Xealot posted:

Seriously. I don't understand why accurate travel logistics > expedient pacing for people in here. I mean, sure, ideally it'd do both at once. But it was way easier to do that in S1; the "filler" scenes contained relevant characterization and story.

Would people honestly prefer a 15-episode season where this week, we cut to Jon and Davos shooting the poo poo on a boat every couple of minutes? And the Unsullied sitting silently on a different boat?

like, just look at this guy. loving amazing :allears:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Roman Reigns posted:

Maybe Gendry can row over and pick them up, he's the only one currently on the sea to have successfully evaded Euron.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

the thing is I would literally prefer fifteen minutes of unsullied on a ship. I watched twin peaks on sunday also and it featured five minutes of a woman leaving a room, as well as seven minutes of a woman listening to a phone call, and it was a much better experience than GoT

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm disappointed that this episode broke the trend of a gross thing cutting to food.

I enjoyed the minute long introduction of Dany's titles followed by "This is Jon Snow. He's king I guess" though, as well as Euron just having a great time.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Yes, yes. You're the smartest and the best and not being smug.

What does "disastrous writing" actually mean? There are a ton of people fixating on the times and places things occur as if that evidences why they feel the writing is bad, how it's lazy or unearned, and it really doesn't make that point. Timelines have always been weird on this show, things have always happened at the speed of plot. If that wasn't the issue before, it isn't now.

I can only assume that the thing bothering people is that now, fairly incidental-feeling plot points are things that would've been significantly climactic moments in past seasons. And sure, they would've been. But the scope and pace have widened. The "big deal" moments this season that are labored and intense are probably going to be things like sacking King's Landing, the Wall being attacked by white walkers, etc. I'd rather the show move at the speed it's moving now than have it "slow down" to feel more familiar.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Walrus posted:

the thing is I would literally prefer fifteen minutes of unsullied on a ship. I watched twin peaks on sunday also and it featured five minutes of a woman leaving a room, as well as seven minutes of a woman listening to a phone call, and it was a much better experience than GoT

The best scenes in this past season of Better Call Saul were the ones where Mike works on some tracking device fuckery for fifteen minutes at a time, for example.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xealot posted:

What does "disastrous writing" actually mean? There are a ton of people fixating on the times and places things occur as if that evidences why they feel the writing is bad, how it's lazy or unearned, and it really doesn't make that point. Timelines have always been weird on this show, things have always happened at the speed of plot. If that wasn't the issue before, it isn't now.

I can only assume that the thing bothering people is that now, fairly incidental-feeling plot points are things that would've been significantly climactic moments in past seasons. And sure, they would've been. But the scope and pace have widened. The "big deal" moments this season that are labored and intense are probably going to be things like sacking King's Landing, the Wall being attacked by white walkers, etc. I'd rather the show move at the speed it's moving now than have it "slow down" to feel more familiar.

It means the writing is bad. And ham-fisted, as well.

Also, "spend 15 minutes watching unsullied on the ship" is next to the galactic brain picture in the meme.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Xealot posted:

The locations and timelines are not the cause of the bad writing, they are a symptom. The same issues of things kind of only making sense if you don't examine them too closely also apply to character motivations, dialogue, and planning.

Separately, the show used to be beautiful, visually fun to watch. That's no longer the case, the entire season seems to have taken place in three rooms on dragonstone and kings landing as well as the winterfell courtyard. Scenes that should be pivotal are reduced to talking heads with no context (literally anything involving Olenna). The only cool non action scene I can bring up from this season was the walk and chat between dany and jon, and that was a function mostly of the amazing location they used rather than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Xealot posted:

The Tyrell plot was slowly build up over 6 long seasons, only to be suddenly wrapped up in 7 min (I'm not exaggerating here, it was literally 7 min). And wrapped up in a completely anti-climatic and unsatisfying manner. The way they did it also made little sense in the established context of show. For example, the Tyrells had the largest land army in Westeros, which wasn't even mentioned or shown in the episode. The Lannister army on the other hand managed to march all the way through Tyrell land without anyone spotting them and alarming Olenna. It's a deus ex machina.

Now, you may say that there is a perfectly fine explanation for all of this, but who gives a poo poo? If you hand in a lovely essay in creative writing class and say it's actually much better in your head and that your instructor just gotta use their imagination, they gonna fail your rear end regardless because a lovely essay is a lovely essay, with or without excuses.

• Locked thread