Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Tesseraction posted:

oh yeah the US is really cautious about sexually explicit terms so the news has pussyfooted around it
The most annoying thing is when some highbrow place pussyfoots around it and then does a second pass with a slightly more direct (but still to-standard) clever version. Ooh so titillating you scamps! Positively impish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

exmarx posted:

there's an increasing group of loving idiots who think the world is getting better because data
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/jul/28/is-the-world-really-better-than-ever-the-new-optimists
Yeah, if the options are that argument or the argument that the world is falling apart because ideology and an enumerated list of rotten cherries, I'll take the former.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I hope this data article is just bait for "Subsistence farming is good and dignified" and "I'd rather live in the GDR than in the US!" internet children to crawl out of the woodwork.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bueno Papi posted:

Aren't women treated like chattel in Amish communities?

not really, they have a good amount of agency. i mean it is a traditional, rural, quasi-theocratic community with all that implies but remember that the amish exist in the modern us so they have to 'compete' with broader societal standards since amish teens can just leave the farm. it's not easy but it's an option. especially for ambitious girls who don't want to be just some farmer's wife. also they're anabaptists so radical protestants, similar to but not the same as other radical protestant groups like the quakers and shakers who tend to be more progressive than the church they split from in some ways

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Hello yankees please tell your president to not get into latin america because itll inevitably end in us turning into a kaizo romhack of Hiroshima

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

ArfJason posted:

Hello yankees please tell your president to not get into latin america because itll inevitably end in us turning into a kaizo romhack of Hiroshima

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Holy poo poo youre alive

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randler posted:

I hope this data article is just bait for "Subsistence farming is good and dignified" and "I'd rather live in the GDR than in the US!" internet children to crawl out of the woodwork.

speaking of gdr (well, not really), seeing any meaningful gdpr meltdowns on your end?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ArfJason posted:

Holy poo poo youre alive

lol if you think anything could get through gigabytes of counterfeit arizonian halal coffee gifs

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

cinci zoo sniper posted:

speaking of gdr (well, not really), seeing any meaningful gdpr meltdowns on your end?

No, but I actively avoid following the internet debates about most privacy and communications law. (With the exception of broadcasting and media aspects, i.e. do twitch casters need a broadcasting license?)

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Hey Volkerball, I've been out of the loop due to diggin holes and breaking down lovely walls in Turkey for the past six weeks. We have mutual interests in this subforum. Care to do a rundown on everything I've missed in the past month and a half? I'll repay you with...uh...my thanks? More precious than gold!

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

ArfJason posted:

Holy poo poo youre alive

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Schizotek posted:

Hey Volkerball, I've been out of the loop due to diggin holes and breaking down lovely walls in Turkey for the past six weeks. We have mutual interests in this subforum. Care to do a rundown on everything I've missed in the past month and a half? I'll repay you with...uh...my thanks? More precious than gold!
how loving dumb are you

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Uhh... yeah.... you too
Glad to see you

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

R. Mute posted:

how loving dumb are you

I disagree with him on alot, but he's generally knowledgeable. Also I'm pretty loving stupid, as evidenced by my current choice of career.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

ArfJason posted:

Uhh... yeah.... you too
Glad to see you
I'm happy to see you in here too! you should join us more often

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
why did i start learning french

why

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

The Warszawa posted:

why

A culture that prizes the bald intellectual?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Schizotek posted:

That sounds...fun. Nothing big I can think of off the top of my head, aside from this nonsense with Trump. Sadr is in KSA tho lol.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

The Warszawa posted:

why

I can't recommend it.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
I'm finally reading the Seth Rich story and the timeline and oh my god this is insane.

NPR posted:

The Fox News Channel and a wealthy supporter of President Trump worked in concert under the watchful eye of the White House to concoct a story about the death of a young Democratic National Committee aide.

Wheeler alleges Fox News and the Trump supporter intended to deflect public attention from growing concern about the administration's ties to the Russian government. His suit charges that a Fox News reporter created quotations out of thin air and attributed them to him to propel her story.

Fox's president of news, Jay Wallace, told NPR on Monday that there was no "concrete evidence" that Wheeler was misquoted by the reporter, Malia Zimmerman. The news executive did not address a question about the story's allegedly partisan origins. Fox News declined to allow Zimmerman to comment for this story.

Washington Post posted:

April 20
Butowsky and Wheeler meet with Sean Spicer. Wheeler’s lawsuit claims that Spicer was given a copy of the outline of Wheeler‘s investigation and asked to be kept updated about it.

Spicer later acknowledged the meeting to NPR, “It had nothing to do with advancing the president’s domestic agenda — and there was no agenda,” Spicer told NPR. “They were just informing me of the [Fox] story.”

April 25
Wheeler meets with a D.C. detective investigating Rich‘s murder, who indicates that he has no evidence that the killing was anything other than a robbery. Butowsky allegedly sends an email to Wheeler saying that if the detective doesn’t help, “we will go after him as being part of the coverup.”

May 9
Trump fires FBI Director James B. Comey.

May 11
Zimmerman shares a draft of her story with Wheeler. It doesn’t include quotes from Wheeler about any FBI link.

May 14

Butowsky told NPR he was “joking with a friend.”

May 15
The Washington Post, continuing a second week of scoops about the Trump administration, reports that Trump revealed classified information in a private May 10 meeting with the Russian foreign minister.

Zimmerman informs Wheeler that her story is going to be posted shortly. She asks Wheeler for quotes on specific topics, neither of which relates to the alleged source at the FBI.

With the story set to publish, Butowsky allegedly emails Wheeler and the hosts and producers of Fox News’ “Fox and Friends.” He reinforces a key point of what he hopes to accomplish: Undercut the idea that Trump’s election was aided by Russian interference.

May 16
The story goes up on Fox News’ website. It includes quotes from Wheeler about the FBI source that he claims in the lawsuit he never gave to Zimmerman.

"My investigation shows someone within the D.C. government, Democratic National Committee or Clinton team is blocking the murder investigation from going forward. That is unfortunate. Seth Rich's murder is unsolved as a result of that."

Zimmerman says that her superiors at Fox News told her to keep the quotes. Wheeler had first called Butowsky to complain. Butowsky allegedly pointed the finger at the White House.

Spicer is asked about the story during the White House press briefing. He claims not to be aware of the story.
Q: "Sean, can we get a White House reaction or the President’s reaction to the report that said Rich was emailing WikiLeaks before his murder?"
SPICER: "I don’t — I’m not aware of — generally, I don’t get updates on DNC — former DNC staffers. I’m not aware of that."

May 23
Fox News retracts its story.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 1, 2017

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

tentative8e8op posted:

I'm happy to see you in here too! you should join us more often

Im politically illiterate but maybe why not

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ArfJason posted:

Im politically illiterate

this has never been a barrier to posting in d&d

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

R. Guyovich posted:

this has never been a barrier to posting in d&d

It should be

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Volkerball posted:

It should be

we'll miss you

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raskolnikov38 posted:

we'll miss you

I am a candlelight in a vast expanse of empty space.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I propose a system where Condiv gets to judge the political literacy of everybody who self-describes as a Democrat. :kheldragar:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Hrm, this twitch dude works for the company that releases this EA game and is a troop.

On the other hand he has a cute dog.

I'm conflicted how to feel about this.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

we'll miss you

it's rude to lie

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

ArfJason posted:

Im politically illiterate but maybe why not
:justpost:
chatthread isnt usually political chat anyway

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

dadchat only exists to settle scores and to fuckbarrel

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

The Warszawa posted:

why
:rip:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

tentative8e8op posted:

:justpost:
chatthread isnt usually political chat anyway

Alright ill try chatting: howve you been? Havent heard from you in forever. Hope everythings alright

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Warszawa posted:

why
it doesn't make a lot of sense

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

R. Mute posted:

it doesn't make a lot of sense

the decision or the language

well, both i guess

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Warszawa posted:

the decision or the language

well, both i guess
aside from your pauvre decision making, the language itself is infuriating at times - it both has an insane amount of rules and an insane amount of exceptions to those rules.

i guess that's true for most languages probably. i started learning it at eleven until i graduated high school and then took additional classes a couple of years ago and i still don't really have a solid grasp of the language. at a certain point, you can't really learn much from textbooks and classes anymore and you have to start speaking it on a regular basis to really get to grips with it. but i never did that and now every time someone starts talking french to me irl i do my best deer in the headlights impression

bon courage

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

ArfJason posted:

Alright ill try chatting: howve you been? Havent heard from you in forever. Hope everythings alright
Ye, I've been doing really wonderfully lately, thank you. Now I'm really excited for my fall semester to begin already.

How have you been?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's everyone's zone out relaxing activity?

Mine is chopping wood but that's near impossible in the city so I'm taking up sharpening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
cardio

• Locked thread