Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Avenging_Mikon posted:

We actually have a 15 or 30 minute lock out, but people still manage to forget their password all the time, despite them typing it 3-4 times a day, 5 days a week.

We can't even put in a global monitor sleep policy.

I did a paper on showing how much money we'd save just putting computers to sleep and shutting monitors down and the savings was considerable for our main office, nearing 10k, but nope, can't do that because one executive one time in 1996 had a hard time getting his laptop to come back from sleep state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My go to prank for unlocked computers was to take a screenshot of their icon layout, set it as the background, then hide all the icons.

I say was because I work in a professional environment now and poo poo like that just doesn't happen.

$oldJob was considerably less professional, and poo poo like that happened all the time. The owner of the company would regularly super glue mice to the workbench. This was such a regular thing, that a couple of us kept spare mice on hand so that we could just plug it in instead of having to clean up the glued one.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Look I'm sorry but if you don't lock your PC you are just asking me to take a dump on your desk. How else will you learn?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Sounds like someone needs a SATA cable disconnected...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jeoh posted:

The latest Reddit IT meme is blaming everything on DNS. Apparently name resolution is an arcane process ruining everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Everyone posted:

Stupid loving poo poo about unlocked PCs
We've had this dumb rear end derail already. Could we not?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am thinking about putting together a policy that will let my team out of write ups if they buy me lunch. What you guys think? How else are they going to learn?

RE: A ticket came in: How else are they going to learn?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
About 3 years ago, the previous version of our training/LMS platform didn't have single sign on. Nurse A didn't log out of his session, Nurse B hopped on the computer before the timed logout, and completed a big stack of web-based training without checking to see who was logged in. We told Nurse B that policy prevented us from granting her those credits in her own account, and she'd have to retake them. [Seriously, can you imagine the 2000 tickets saying "Uh, I really did my training, it must've just been in someone else's account! Run an audit!"]

Nurse B raised a huge fuss and demanded a response at C-level. I went to the meeting to represent our department. I asked, "Would we be having this conversation if Nurse B had typed medication dosage information into the wrong patient's chart because she wouldn't check to see who was logged into a console?"

It was a quick meeting.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hey good post and all but you're still being terribly obtuse.

I lock my car. I don't check my neighbor to make sure he locked his car, and if I find it unlocked, I wouldn't fill it with shaving cream because he's not being safe. I might knock on his door if I found his garage door was open all night, just to be polite.

And similarly, if my neighbor decided to spraypaint my garage because I left it open overnight instead of nicely reminding me about bad guys in the neighborhood, I most certainly would report him to the proper authorities.

Vandalizing your coworkers because they don't follow security practices is not ok you fuckwit, try being an adult

Ah yes, "vandalizing". Let's add scare words in there instead of holding people accountable for their laziness. Because changing a background image and adding a boot tone to a sysadmins machine is totally the same as spray painting a house or filling a car with shaving cream. Stop hyperventilating for five loving seconds and actually read.

My poo poo isn't stored in my neighbors garage. I don't keep my W-2 or my banking info there. I don't keep my street address, my wife's info, my banking info at my neighbors. If my neighbor gets broken into, I'll hear his sob story and offer some sympathy, but point out his personal security is bad and offer some things to change.

I don't care if Coca cola or GE has poo poo practices, I don't work there, their negligence doesn't cost me. I do work here. My PII is on site both as an employee and as a customer. My wife's PII is here. So security negligence here will cost me. Personally.

We can agree to disagree on the subject, but I hold that the inconvenience and temporary embarrassment of a different desktop is vastly preferable to being stung by a pen test if you're lucky, or being known as "that guy that precipitated a massive IT breach" for the rest of your life.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Raerlynn posted:

Ah yes, "vandalizing". Let's add scare words in there instead of holding people accountable for their laziness. Because changing a background image and adding a boot tone to a sysadmins machine is totally the same as spray painting a house or filling a car with shaving cream. Stop hyperventilating for five loving seconds and actually read.

My poo poo isn't stored in my neighbors garage. I don't keep my W-2 or my banking info there. I don't keep my street address, my wife's info, my banking info at my neighbors. If my neighbor gets broken into, I'll hear his sob story and offer some sympathy, but point out his personal security is bad and offer some things to change.

I don't care if Coca cola or GE has poo poo practices, I don't work there, their negligence doesn't cost me. I do work here. My PII is on site both as an employee and as a customer. My wife's PII is here. So security negligence here will cost me. Personally.

We can agree to disagree on the subject, but I hold that the inconvenience and temporary embarrassment of a different desktop is vastly preferable to being stung by a pen test if you're lucky, or being known as "that guy that precipitated a massive IT breach" for the rest of your life.

"This is a very serious issue with serious consequences"

"The plan is to fix it by pranks"

You are a loving idiot.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If I see someone's desktop unlocked, I open notepad and tell them to lock it next time. Then I lock it :)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Gotta say I'd rather have somebody spraypaint my garage than have to explain to family and friends why my facebook status says I'm a pedophile (which was a serious thing somebody posted above).

Nobody said terminal security is stupid. I'm not saying it's not serious. There are professional, adult ways to teach people how dangerous it is, like proper training or a white hat analysis showing what somebody could walk out the door with.

Professional environments seek to lift employees up to better working standards. I sincerely hope you can understand why pulling pranks on your coworkers (as a teaching method) is counterproductive to a successful environment, and if not, I hope I never work at the same place you do.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I do the opposite! If a machine is locked I unlock it using the admin account and shut it down.*

*When doing upgrades which require machines to be off the SAN and I have the okay from the client.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

This derail about locking computers is a lovely boring derail.

Larches, any TV station news?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Jeoh posted:

If I see someone's desktop unlocked, I open notepad and tell them to lock it next time. Then I lock it :)

So you are telling us you don't go and replace the SATA cables with bad ones, then laugh while they don't understand?

But seriously, demanding someone to bring doughnuts or cake in because they forgot to lock their computer, or else they will be reprimanded. Isn't that technically corruption?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dunno-Lars posted:

So you are telling us you don't go and replace the SATA cables with bad ones, then laugh while they don't understand?

But seriously, demanding someone to bring doughnuts or cake in because they forgot to lock their computer, or else they will be reprimanded. Isn't that technically corruption?

You are looking for unethical. And yes it is.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Judge Schnoopy posted:

At my job, if you leave your computer unlocked, people don't loving touch it.

it's not your computer. don't loving touch it.

If it's regularly unlocked I might send out an email asking them politely to lock it because we're all goddamn adults here

you psychopaths

They keep me chained to my desk so I don't have an opportunity to see if anyones computer is locked or not.
I just dump .gif files in people's startup folder. Locked or otherwise.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Person A files a time-sensitive ticket for Person B in Person B's name. I call Person B for details. Person B has no idea what the problem is or relates to and cannot replicate it but they're fairly sure it exists. I email/call Person A asking what in the world is going on and they respond 24 hours later telling me to call Person B because they know what the problem is. Person B is unavailable for the next 6 hours so I'm going to be calling them at close of business today so I can be told they still don't know what is going on for an issue that absolutely positively had to be fixed like 30 hours ago.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Something that always gets missed when this conversation comes up is that some people feel that you should never, under any circumstances, have fun at the workplace in harmless ways.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a phone call came in.

One of our clients had a printer fail and needed someone to come out and fix it. The contractor here had been working on the issue for an hour but hadn't contacted the client letting them know. So I went on site to look into the issue.

The way the clients reception desk is setup is stupid. They have a brother MFP that is broken in some way that prevents it from detecting a connection when plugged into a fortigate. The front also has a consumer cisco router setup to act as wifi from the site. So someone at some point ran a cable from the printer to the cisco router, it worked and called it a day. All of this is hidden under the reception desk. This was also setup well before I started with the company.

Fast forward to today. I get on site, and the network cable on the cisco side is partially unplugged. So I reseat the cable, and printer comes online. The clip isn't broken so I don't do anything with the cable. When i got it fixed, the owner asked what was wrong and I told him. He gives me this look and says this isn't a proper solution, its a bandaid and when the owner comes back he wants to talk about a proper solution. To be honest, I agree with him but I don't say anything and let him know ill talk to my boss to contact him.

I message the contractor, let him know its fixed and figure thats the end of it. He starts drilling me about what happened. I tell him what was wrong, and what the owner said. Then he goes off on me about how I represented the solution poorly and made it look like we cheated him. He then calls me up and goes off on me over the phone.

I wonder if the bandaid was his idea...

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 1, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dunno-Lars posted:

In reference to my post about the donuts there is no demand and no reprimand so I dont understand what everyone is in an uproar about. Its not like its enforced or anything - no one has actually done it in like 6 months because its more of an idle consequence for being caught multiple times.

I regret that I contributed this much to a derail by not posting enough details. IF IT IS NOT IN THE TICKET, IT NEVER HAPPENED

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

no one has actually done it in like 6 months because its more of an idle consequence for being caught multiple times.

I buy my coworkers doughnuts more often than this for no reason other than because I like them I'm trying to buy their love with sugar.

If you're lucky they'll forget that you took a formatted e-mail that said "see highlighted segments" and copy/pasted it into a ticket that only accepts unformatted text no I haven't done this recently why do you ask

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

In reference to my post about the donuts there is no demand and no reprimand so I dont understand what everyone is in an uproar about. Its not like its enforced or anything - no one has actually done it in like 6 months because its more of an idle consequence for being caught multiple times.

I regret that I contributed this much to a derail by not posting enough details. IF IT IS NOT IN THE TICKET, IT NEVER HAPPENED
you're in IT country, we don't have 'fun' here.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Everyone knows the real way to make sure your stuff is secure is to build up such an image of evil and hatred that you alienate all of the people in your company and no one wants to come within ten feet of you or your desk. :smuggo:

e: I have admittedly put one of those infinite Windows Update screen sites on a coworker's unlocked computer once, but that was because we're friends and we both thought it was a) harmless and b) funny.

That's the part people seem to be missing out on. In some IT orgs, the admins are friends and have all bought in on the joke. They willingly play along because it's fun. Not because they think they're actually going to be fired if they don't bring donuts in.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Renegret posted:

I buy my coworkers doughnuts more often than this for no reason other than because I like them I'm trying to buy their love with sugar.
Same.

Like....exactly the same.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

uPen posted:

Person A files a time-sensitive ticket for Person B in Person B's name. I call Person B for details. Person B has no idea what the problem is or relates to and cannot replicate it but they're fairly sure it exists. I email/call Person A asking what in the world is going on and they respond 24 hours later telling me to call Person B because they know what the problem is. Person B is unavailable for the next 6 hours so I'm going to be calling them at close of business today so I can be told they still don't know what is going on for an issue that absolutely positively had to be fixed like 30 hours ago.

Why could you not just tell person A that you already talked to person B?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Dick Trauma posted:

Really the proper thing is to replace the SATA cables with bad cables, like that one goon did
e: beaten by like two hours

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dick Trauma posted:

Or some kind of remote/delayed etherkiller

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

mattfl posted:

200+ tickets have come in.

Cerner is down enterprise wide, 40+ hospitals across the US...

lol

I heard AT&T was to blame for this mess.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Zil posted:

Or some kind of remote/delayed etherkiller

A sort of... Timed Etherblast

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

vosk posted:

I heard AT&T was to blame for this mess.

AT&T can be blamed for everything

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Probably not the right thread for this.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 2, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

uPen posted:

Resolved: Person B says there's no issue.

Ticket Filed: Permissions locked down so people can't file tickets for other people.

if only

RFC2324 posted:

Something that always gets missed when this conversation comes up is that some people feel that you should never, under any circumstances, have fun at the workplace in harmless ways.

It's almost like different companies have different cultures and handle things differently

The last time we had a spearphishing test people were frothing about enforced training as a result, but "changing your slack status (previously irc name) to have a dunce cap when you gently caress up in production" has been a culture thing for years. People ask you what you did, you tell them, you both reminisce about previous fuckups. Completely opt-in and unenforced, and would work at pretty much no other company I've worked at :shrug:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
When my co-workers leave their computers unlocked, I like to play a fun little game to correct the problem.

There's a cool shortcut that most people don't know about. You hold down the Windows key, then press 'L'

Punked!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
We get it, some of you hate fun, some of you want to educate people so they'll lock their poo poo their drat self

Can we move on now

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Malachite_Dragon posted:

We get it, some of you hate fun, some of you want to educate people so they'll lock their poo poo their drat self

Can we move on now

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
JESUS CHRIST YOU MURDERED HIM

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Fil5000 posted:

Sound the larchesdanrew klaxon.

Hasn't quite been 12 hours yet, so I'm calling this response acceptable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKWrLFWesDQ

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Raerlynn posted:

Your options are this or eat a write up for your lax personal security. Bonus points involved the desktop and boot up sound getting changed to something suitably attention grabbing.

The people who do this poo poo leave wide open admin and root access consoles all the loving time, there's no excuse not to loving slap WIN+L every time you leave your desk.

How many conversations has this thread seen about allowing physical access to people just because they looked like they were supposed to be there?

One of my buddies had this happen to him during college. Turns out when your CS/EE friends all tell you "dude, just start securing your stuff, get in the habit it's a good idea. In short: put a loving password on your laptop." it's a good idea to to listen to them lest they get prankish. He left his laptop unsecured around them one day and comes back to find that every single system noise, repeat: every noise was replaced with the entire sound file for "Charlie the Unicorn: Episode one." System boots up: Four minutes of "Were off to Candy Mountain, Charlie!" System shuts down: "Chaaaarlie! Chaaaarlie!" Mis-click and Windows dings at you saying it can't do that? "Look Charlie! It's Candy Mountain!". Yes it would play the entire thing, and if multiple system sounds went off before the first finished it would queue up the entire sound file again.

The real kicker was one day he was in the front of class when his battery started to die. He enjoys the class, enjoys the professor, but the professor is the type that if any electronic disturbance happens (usually a cell phone going off) he would stop class until the disturbance ends (student silences phone or takes the call in the hallway). So my buddy is in the front of the class when his laptop goes "Out of power, shutting down now to save your data." Normally that would get just get the cheerful Windows "Ding-ding-ding-dong!", but on his computer... "Charlie!" Queue my friend stuffing his laptop on his bag, and then sitting on said bag in a desperate attempt to muffle his laptop while the professor stopped class to stare quietly at him for the entire four minutes of the cartoon playing from his computer.

Between that, and not realizing we were joking when we told him to "delete system32" to speed up his computer, he took it upon himself to actually learn and has become far, far, far better at computers (enough he's an IT guy himself now). He's also paranoid about physical access to his machine, and quoting Charlie the Unicorn around him makes his blood pressure spike hard enough that it can probably pull him out of a coma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hey good post and all but you're still being terribly obtuse.

I lock my car. I don't check my neighbor to make sure he locked his car, and if I find it unlocked, I wouldn't fill it with shaving cream because he's not being safe. I might knock on his door if I found his garage door was open all night, just to be polite.

And similarly, if my neighbor decided to spraypaint my garage because I left it open overnight instead of nicely reminding me about bad guys in the neighborhood, I most certainly would report him to the proper authorities.

Vandalizing your coworkers because they don't follow security practices is not ok you fuckwit, try being an adult

At the same time, you can't guarantee someone else won't get a bad idea, so it's just good practice to keep things secure. Just because you wouldn't do something malicious doesn't mean someone else won't, and a LOT can go wrong and screw everyone over. I usually just lock a PC I see open regardless of who's using it, because honestly it's stupid not to, and some of the people I used to work with were massive idiots about it and other security - case in point, my last job had an unannounced phishing/scam email test go out to everyone. I checked it, confirmed it was fake, and deleted it - but at the same time, 9 other people opened the drat thing and got a fake encryption virus message from it. Sad part was 3 people were on our support desk, the rest were either supervisors or sales/account management, and all of them had been briefed multiple times in the past on security measures and not opening mail you're unsure about.

• Locked thread