Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

It's mostly a humour thing yeah, but it's also showing that the Grail's veneer of piety is paper thin and they're basically just thugs with religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The final trial being a pistol range, I'm like, oh my god they're not even pretending to care about "real" results

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Love that the one dude who made it all the way to the end was super-earnest and just tried his best. He's the kind of guy who would burn out/get taken out within a few weeks if he'd won because he was just too sincere for his own good.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I know this isn't the most serious or plausible show, but that whole recruitment process was really dumb. Especially the way they were just OK with him killing their dudes and other recruits. That isn't the sort of behaviour you want in a recruit for anything! Even assassins have to be restrained enough to only kill the people you want them to kill! And which part of "violent psychopath with poor impulse control" says "leadership potential"?

I don't think he killed the other recruits and they were probably cool with him killing that last guy because he was too good a person. Just because he won all the contests doesn't mean he's the right guy. You have to be willing to kill a Lincoln or a Belushi without hesitation.

TV show Herr Star is so much better than comic book Herr Star.

Edit: beaten on why the last guy needed to die. The final test wasn't whether you could shoot the target, but whether you survived.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
That higher up from the Guild looked really familiar, wasn't he in the Austin Power's movies

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

achillesforever6 posted:

That higher up from the Guild looked really familiar, wasn't he in the Austin Power's movies

Nope

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I don't think he killed the other recruits and they were probably cool with him killing that last guy because he was too good a person. Just because he won all the contests doesn't mean he's the right guy. You have to be willing to kill a Lincoln or a Belushi without hesitation.

I didn't mean he killed all the other recruits. And if their tests don't test for the qualities they're looking for, what's the point of them?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I didn't mean he killed all the other recruits. And if their tests don't test for the qualities they're looking for, what's the point of them?

You talk like the test didn't get them the exact candidate they wanted.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Also, we're getting The Messiah, too. I really hope it's someone off-the-wall like Gilbert Gottfried.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turtlicious posted:

"And thank you for this... Opportunity" was pretty fuckin' amazing too, I like this guy a lot better then SoK

Saw that coming a mile away. Also called him shooting the other candidate. Was too obvious for Starr's character, but still good to see play out.

That said, you'd think Starr would wait like a day or two to find out how The Grail operates before killing the guy and assuming he knows how to take over. But then again, I guess that's Starr.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, we're getting The Messiah, too. I really hope it's someone off-the-wall like Gilbert Gottfried.

This would be loving amazing, but honestly I hope they go the route of Terry from Reno 911, not necessarily "gay" but you know what I mean I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etyH2OUxVuQ

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Saw that coming a mile away. Also called him shooting the other candidate. Was too obvious for Starr's character, but still good to see play out.

That said, you'd think Starr would wait like a day or two to find out how The Grail operates before killing the guy and assuming he knows how to take over. But then again, I guess that's Starr.

Yeah, that's really one of those scenes where rule of cool wins out over practicality. Having it all happen in one scene is just less awkward to put on film even if it is kind of hokey the moment you apply any real thought to it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Starr is very promising but the show's just kind of ambling along without a particular focus right now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah, that's really one of those scenes where rule of cool wins out over practicality. Having it all happen in one scene is just less awkward to put on film even if it is kind of hokey the moment you apply any real thought to it.

I gotta say that whole scene where the Grail dude was going on about "revelation" and "inspiration" was back-lit by that incredible sun-and-clouds over London... yeah, that was pretty revelatory and inspiring. Really great visuals.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I did laugh at VIETNAM, because Ennis. I'm sure if we get into Cass' backstory at all we're getting IRELAND.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

I wan't to know what's in the "Pig" folder. Is this a reference to something from the comics?

I love that they actually resolved this. Nice attention to detail.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Tiggum posted:

Look at this chump who hasn't seen Men in Black

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I can see the Grail not caring out the recruits who lost, they're losers anyways. The fighting dude killed or at least maimed several himself.

What I don't understand is how things work in the Grail now. Is Starr in charge? It seemed like he got his way up to second command and then pushed the leader off the balcony, but then he's out in the field, checking in and receiving orders from someone else.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
He's part of one division of the Grail, the military wing. There are other groups that ultimately report up, assuming they stay in line with the comic.

I am impressed at how they adapted his recruiting, though I fully expected the unarmed combat section to be like the book and he'd shoot the wrestler and note "I have no intention of ever being unarmed".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I can see the Grail not caring out the recruits who lost, they're losers anyways. The fighting dude killed or at least maimed several himself.

What I don't understand is how things work in the Grail now. Is Starr in charge? It seemed like he got his way up to second command and then pushed the leader off the balcony, but then he's out in the field, checking in and receiving orders from someone else.

He's in charge of Sampson unit, but no he's not in charge of the Grail completely... its ambiguous in the show so far though. You don't really know, we haven't had time but you'll probably find out more about that very soon. The show better include the allfather

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
This Herr Starr deserves to get to play out War in the Sun

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It was a little confusing how it was supposed to play out with all those recruits, but all they wanted was one winner so it didn’t matter what happened to the others.

I hope they get someone good to play the Messiah. So far the casting has been spot on.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
It helps if you think of it as getting into a gang or made in the mafia, instead of some sort of government recruitment process. The Grail cares about results not lawsuits, when a sociopath like Starr comes along they'll find a place for him.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Supreme Allah posted:

It helps if you think of it as getting into a gang or made in the mafia, instead of some sort of government recruitment process. The Grail cares about results not lawsuits, when a sociopath like Starr comes along they'll find a place for him.

Yep, I really loved his recruitment in the books. He was given the task to assassinate a reporter who knew the truth about the Grail, and had been locked away in a psychiatric ward. "But how do you kill the man without drawing suspicion to his claims?"

"We did not expect you to bomb the entire hospital. Hundreds of innocent lives lost.". "Hundreds of possible motives for the bomb.". "... you are in."

Starr quickly devolved through the series, but his origin book is fantastic. He's a terrifying man who is driven by logic, not religious zeal, and wants a world with order.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I know this isn't the most serious or plausible show, but that whole recruitment process was really dumb. Especially the way they were just OK with him killing their dudes and other recruits. That isn't the sort of behaviour you want in a recruit for anything! Even assassins have to be restrained enough to only kill the people you want them to kill! And which part of "violent psychopath with poor impulse control" says "leadership potential"?

He's the Sacred Executioner of the Grail. That's exactly the kind of killer instinct they want.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I knew he was gonna shoot the other guy at the end, but I was kind of expecting more than that. Like maybe 5 rounds in the bullseye then finish him off, or 5 rounds in the other guys target going right through the hole he made without making it bigger. I guess that kind of inefficiency is beneath Starr when his goals can be accomplished with one round.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

zeal posted:

This Herr Starr deserves to get to play out War in the Sun

"Eye haff ahn erektion."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

I knew he was gonna shoot the other guy at the end, but I was kind of expecting more than that. Like maybe 5 rounds in the bullseye then finish him off, or 5 rounds in the other guys target going right through the hole he made without making it bigger. I guess that kind of inefficiency is beneath Starr when his goals can be accomplished with one round.

More rounds on the target, less time to wank.

Everyone knew exactly what he was going to do. It's the way he did it that was so entertaining.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Eye haff ahn erektion."

one of these days we're gonna gaze upon the face of war

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

When Herr Starr began to "self consummate" my girlfriend asked "Would that work?" and was not dissapointed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I honestly wonder about that poo poo sometimes. In History has there ever been a life and death struggle where somebody tried something totally batshit as a distraction? It wouldn't always work but you gotta imagine a lot of people would react and suddenly be vulnerable to a surprise attack.

Weird, hosed up world we live in.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

You talk like the test didn't get them the exact candidate they wanted.
Well, that's kind of the problem. It got them the exact guy the boss had already picked out to win. Obviously that didn't work out well for him at all.

Zaphod42 posted:

It was really obvious even if you don't know anything about the comics.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Starr is very promising but the show's just kind of ambling along without a particular focus right now.
Yeah, season one was much better about having an actual story that seemed to be going somewhere. This season is just a series of unrelated stuff that happens. Individual bits are good but it doesn't really hold together.

LesterGroans posted:

Look at this chump who hasn't seen Men in Black
Except in Men in Black they recruited Will Smith despite him failing the test as a special favour to Tommy Lee Jones and it happened to work out. That doesn't mean their test wasn't generally the best way they had for selecting candidates.

Supreme Allah posted:

Would they? Seems like they need people who are willing to kill for the cause, not someone who kills for his own convenience and ambition.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Would they? Seems like they need people who are willing to kill for the cause, not someone who kills for his own convenience and ambition.

At the time those two interests are aligned. So it works.

If you're willing to kill for the job application you're probably not gonna be upset killing on the job.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Medullah posted:

Yep, I really loved his recruitment in the books. He was given the task to assassinate a reporter who knew the truth about the Grail, and had been locked away in a psychiatric ward. "But how do you kill the man without drawing suspicion to his claims?"

"We did not expect you to bomb the entire hospital. Hundreds of innocent lives lost.". "Hundreds of possible motives for the bomb.". "... you are in."

Starr quickly devolved through the series, but his origin book is fantastic. He's a terrifying man who is driven by logic, not religious zeal, and wants a world with order.

It looks like they're not going to do his comic devolution here, or at least to the same degree, because in the books he doesn't get the hat until ... later :v:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

This show is going over your head isn't it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

This show is going over your head isn't it?

I don't know, why don't you explain it to me?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I don't know, why don't you explain it to me?

There are no good guys.

You could say there are no smart guys either.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Tiggum posted:

Except in Men in Black they recruited Will Smith despite him failing the test as a special favour to Tommy Lee Jones and it happened to work out. That doesn't mean their test wasn't generally the best way they had for selecting candidates.

You should re-watch that scene

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Diddie posted:

You should re-watch that scene

And the one in MiB II where Will Smith bounces out Patrick Warburton for 'reasons.' MiB wants agents that can be harsh but understanding, while The Grail wants a heartless motherfucker who can waste an entire Vietnamese village in the name of their interests and be all "okay, what's next" afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Tiggum posted:

He ran down a cephalopod!

• Locked thread