Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

khysanth posted:

Andrew Skurka posted on reddit and said there are many times he doesn't treat water at all (in CO and the CA Sierra). I never knew people did this... I guess it's probably safe most of the time? Still seems like a silly risk.

How do you decide whether or not to treat water?

We don't treat. It's overall a total waste of time if you're avoiding people and use a modicum of common sense to avoid point source human pollution. We avoid extremely popular lakes and the massive watersheds. I haven't treated since 2006 in a wide variety of areas. Never gotten giardia or cryptosporodium. But we are not working on extremely popular BLM and NPS areas. For instance, I'd never countenance unfiltered at somewhere like Glacier or Yellowstone.

There's an entire industry centered around making people scared of their water supply, especially considering how strong a healthy human's immune and digestive systems are. Why are you guys shocked at horror stories trying to scare you into hundred dollar filtering systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK well I'll take the CDC's recommendations over yours, sorry. And my new filter was $19.99 so that's alright. :)

In other news, I dug out my stove and ugh, apparently they don't sell Gaz canisters in the US any more. I still have a full canister and another half-full but after those are gone, my little backpacking stove becomes useless in the US. I guess I need a new backpacking stove, too.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Leperflesh posted:

OK well I'll take the CDC's recommendations over yours, sorry. And my new filter was $19.99 so that's alright. :)

In other news, I dug out my stove and ugh, apparently they don't sell Gaz canisters in the US any more. I still have a full canister and another half-full but after those are gone, my little backpacking stove becomes useless in the US. I guess I need a new backpacking stove, too.

I would look for a canister adapter before giving up on it entirely.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I also don't use toilet paper and as of yet I haven't managed to poo poo all over my hands. Know your limitations

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

thatguy posted:

I also don't use toilet paper and as of yet I haven't managed to poo poo all over my hands. Know your limitations

Lol get this macho poo poo out of here. It is definitely worth taking a trivial extra step to protect yourself when you're in an exposed environment. At a minimum it's worth mitigating the risk of making GBS threads uncontrollably for days after you've already taken vacation time to go camping.

Chard fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 31, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

armorer posted:

I would look for a canister adapter before giving up on it entirely.

Good idea and I've started looking, but it seems to be a murky area. "Gaz" is a propane-butane mix, but I don't know in what proportion, and it's probably a bad idea to run pure propane out of a burner not designed for it. The stove was well made but probably not that expensive when I bought it in, uhhhh... probably 1996? Ish?

I'll keep looking for a little bit but a $20 adapter so I can use my $30 burner isn't very sensible.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

thatguy posted:

We don't treat. It's overall a total waste of time if you're avoiding people and use a modicum of common sense to avoid point source human pollution. We avoid extremely popular lakes and the massive watersheds. I haven't treated since 2006 in a wide variety of areas. Never gotten giardia or cryptosporodium. But we are not working on extremely popular BLM and NPS areas. For instance, I'd never countenance unfiltered at somewhere like Glacier or Yellowstone.

There's an entire industry centered around making people scared of their water supply, especially considering how strong a healthy human's immune and digestive systems are. Why are you guys shocked at horror stories trying to scare you into hundred dollar filtering systems?

While I agree you can certainly go without treating or filtering in plenty of areas, I kind of hate the whole "it's an entire industry trying to scare you into doing a thing!!!" I'm actually not sure I've heard many horror stories telling us how we must filter/treat everywhere no matter what or we'll die. It kind of makes you sound like Glenn Beck.

Also fact is that people often want to go to more popular areas where it'd be more sensible to treat water. Filtering systems also aren't hundreds of dollars.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's also a verifiable, objective fact that a bunch of people still get sick from giardia every year, and CDC research suggests that the rate of people getting sick is falling specifically because people are taking better precautions. It's tautological nonsense to argue that precautions aren't necessary because getting sick is rare, while getting sick is rare happens because most people take precautions.

And it still makes me cringe when anyone uses this kind of argument:

thatguy posted:

I haven't treated since 2006 in a wide variety of areas. Never gotten giardia or cryptosporodium.

That is the expected result for any individual who exposes themselves to an unlikely event. It's exactly the same as saying "I've never worn a seatbelt, and yet I've never found myself violently ejected from a car in a horrific car accident!" and using that as part of an argument against wearing seatbelts.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Levitate posted:

While I agree you can certainly go without treating or filtering in plenty of areas, I kind of hate the whole "it's an entire industry trying to scare you into doing a thing!!!" I'm actually not sure I've heard many horror stories telling us how we must filter/treat everywhere no matter what or we'll die. It kind of makes you sound like Glenn Beck.

Also fact is that people often want to go to more popular areas where it'd be more sensible to treat water. Filtering systems also aren't hundreds of dollars.

I announced what we did and why we do it, with caveats such as "I don't drink from the salmon river after rafters have been pissing and making GBS threads in it for miles". You people act like there isn't historical evidence that drinking from most water sources isn't going to kill you or get you deathly ill. I never argued that precautions aren't necessary, my precautions are "I use my brain". Since 2006 we've been backpacking at least 150 nights a year every single year. I've now exposed myself to an unlikely event almost certainly 10x as much as any of you. We're far more likely to be attacked by a confused/starving/injured bear, but I don't see anybody arguing that firearms on the trail is a good or necessary idea.

Make sure to shoot logical holes while equating 3 days of watery shits with injury or death from ejection of a car at speed though, always a good plan.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Your first paragraph was reasonable

Your second paragraph is silly

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I think I need a bigger car for my car camping gear.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

On the topic of water treatment, the new(ish) Katadyn Befree filter bags look pretty good. Lighter than a comperable sawyer squeeze and with supposedly much faster flow rate. I'm gonna try one instead of chlorine dioxide next trip.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

FogHelmut posted:

I think I need a bigger car for my car camping gear.

Roof box. Gives you a great place to put stickers from the many museums and gift shops you'll have the pleasure of encountering.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

Roof box. Gives you a great place to put stickers from the many museums and gift shops you'll have the pleasure of encountering.

We got the stupid panoramic sun roof instead of the roof rails. Thanks Ford for bundling that with the infotainment and leather seats. I could technically get the Yakima Q-Towers to fit, but these are not officially recommended, I think mainly because people open their sun roofs while the rack is on and break the glass. I don't really trust those Q-Towers over a set of real rails anyway. I've priced it out, it's actually quite a bit cheaper to get a trailer hitch and put a hitch-mounted carrier on there. I even priced this against used eBay parts for the roof rack system, but the brand new tailgate setup is still cheaper. But this kinda blocks access to your liftgate.

I should have done more to convince my wife that we need a minivan.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can always rent one for your trip. More people should buy the car that suits them for the 99% of their time that they're just commuting and driving around town, and then rent for the 1% of the time they're hauling stuff to the dump/driving offroad/going on that ski trip where they need 4WD/taking the extended family to wallyworld.

I have looked into adapters and it's not worth it to keep my old stove alive: someone please recommend me a cannister-based backpacking stove for under $100

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
What do you want in a stove ... Cheap? Small? Adjustable flame? Simple? Fast Boiling? Full cook set (Jet Boil etc)?

The MSR pocket rocket is my primary backpacking stove as its incredibly small/light and works well. I also have an MSR Whisperlite international that I use for longer trips, trips at higher elevations, lower tempuratures, melting snow, bigger group etc. I like both. I prefer the weight, size and simplicity of the pocket rocket.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

FogHelmut posted:

I should have done more to convince my wife that we need a minivan.

Minivans need some serious rebranding. Dodge should strip out a Grand Caravan, put in a cooler, futon, and gear loops, and sell it as a DAYTRIPPER SPECIAL.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

Minivans need some serious rebranding. Dodge should strip out a Grand Caravan, put in a cooler, futon, and gear loops, and sell it as a DAYTRIPPER SPECIAL.

Give it a 3" lift, AWD, and roof rails.

I mean, Honda is already there - the Pilot and Ridgeline are the same platform as the Odyssey. Just throw the sliding door on the Pilot, or the suspension from those two onto the Odyssey.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Station wagons are where it's at. My VW wagon with a roof rack is awesome.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
AMC Eagles were the original subaru.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Ultimate gear tip: if you hitchhike you don't need a car

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Verman posted:

What do you want in a stove ... Cheap? Small? Adjustable flame? Simple? Fast Boiling? Full cook set (Jet Boil etc)?

The MSR pocket rocket is my primary backpacking stove as its incredibly small/light and works well. I also have an MSR Whisperlite international that I use for longer trips, trips at higher elevations, lower tempuratures, melting snow, bigger group etc. I like both. I prefer the weight, size and simplicity of the pocket rocket.

I'm not a micro-ouncer or whatever so any backpacking stove is going to be reasonably lightweight and compact. I'm almost always going to be cooking for two, in 3-season conditions, so not melting snow. Fuel flexibility seems like a good way to ensure future-proofing so I don't have to replace it (again) in ten years, but on the other hand, being over $100 is overkill given how (in)frequently I'll be using it.

So MSR Pocket Rocket seems like a great option at $40.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

thatguy posted:

Since 2006 we've been backpacking at least 150 nights a year every single year.
:drat:

What is it you do for a living that affords you the time to do that? It is something you work for six months, and then travel the rest?

Whereabouts do you go every year? Is it always someplace new, or the mostly the same area?

I'm on track to do about twenty trips this year between backpacking and kayak camping, and I thought that number was excessive :ohdear:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not a micro-ouncer or whatever so any backpacking stove is going to be reasonably lightweight and compact. I'm almost always going to be cooking for two, in 3-season conditions, so not melting snow. Fuel flexibility seems like a good way to ensure future-proofing so I don't have to replace it (again) in ten years, but on the other hand, being over $100 is overkill given how (in)frequently I'll be using it.

So MSR Pocket Rocket seems like a great option at $40.

Pocket Rocket is a time tested and proven canister stove. Only downside is that it's on the heavier side.

I particularly love the Olicamp Ion Micro with accompanying pot with heat fins, for an effective stove that weighs less than your shoe laces:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BISS1RM/ref=asc_df_B00BISS1RM5104127/

I've been rocking that pot plus the chineesium 10$ knockoff of that stove for several years now and it's been very good to me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AKF4USW/

Fyi, you can find these stoves on fleabay for 5-10$ shipped directly from guandong province. They're all the same if you search 25g titanium stove, just different brands and labels slapped on. That Olicamp pot is super worthwhile too if you're upgrading your cooking stuff.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

OSU_Matthew posted:

What is it you do for a living that affords you the time to do that? It is something you work for six months, and then travel the rest?

Whereabouts do you go every year? Is it always someplace new, or the mostly the same area?

I'm on track to do about twenty trips this year between backpacking and kayak camping, and I thought that number was excessive :ohdear:

I think that's literally his job, like he does a bunch of back country work for the forest service or BLM

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Wagons are great, my husband and I are shopping for one right now to replace our Camry.

And funny thing, we still hadn't made a decision on a backpacking tent, because we weren't planning on anything due to forest fire smoke which fucks me up because of combined allergies/asthma/chest cold/still healing from pneumonia. So I've been stuck at home trying not to die for the most part. But I did go out for a night last weekend and we ended up borrowing a Hubba Hubba 2P tent from my sister-in-law and we actually fit in it unlike other 2P tents we had in the past. So now I've started a new comparison spreadsheet and narrowed it down to 6 with stipulations being mostly mesh, 2 doors and vestibules, under 2kg, under $500. That narrows it to 6 models. We'll likely make the decision in person. Fortunately both retailers are literally across the street from each other.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Pocket Rocket is a time tested and proven canister stove. Only downside is that it's on the heavier side.

I particularly love the Olicamp Ion Micro with accompanying pot with heat fins, for an effective stove that weighs less than your shoe laces:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BISS1RM/ref=asc_df_B00BISS1RM5104127/

I've been rocking that pot plus the chineesium 10$ knockoff of that stove for several years now and it's been very good to me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AKF4USW/

Fyi, you can find these stoves on fleabay for 5-10$ shipped directly from guandong province. They're all the same if you search 25g titanium stove, just different brands and labels slapped on. That Olicamp pot is super worthwhile too if you're upgrading your cooking stuff.

Thank you for these recommendations. I'm a little concerned with both of them having such tiny burners - when you're boiling water it hardly matters, but especially with aluminum cookware (which is what I have), using a pan to fry something you wind up with a tiny hot spot in the middle and a cold pan around the edges if the burner is too small. My other question is these are both pure-butane stoves: I've only ever used white gas, propane, propane/butane mix, and alcohol stoves. Can anyone speak to whether there's an appreciable loss of heat, capacity, etc. with a pure-butane stove?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Canisters are still an Isobutane/propane mix.

Look for something called a heat spreader if the hot spots are too bad.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

FogHelmut posted:

Give it a 3" lift, AWD, and roof rails.

So an Outback/Forester!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CopperHound posted:

Canisters are still an Isobutane/propane mix.

Look for something called a heat spreader if the hot spots are too bad.

Ah OK, the amazon description was misleading.

I'll take a look at heat diffusers.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

khysanth posted:

So an Outback/Forester!

But minivan sized, would be ideal.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

Wagons are great, my husband and I are shopping for one right now to replace our Camry.

And funny thing, we still hadn't made a decision on a backpacking tent, because we weren't planning on anything due to forest fire smoke which fucks me up because of combined allergies/asthma/chest cold/still healing from pneumonia. So I've been stuck at home trying not to die for the most part. But I did go out for a night last weekend and we ended up borrowing a Hubba Hubba 2P tent from my sister-in-law and we actually fit in it unlike other 2P tents we had in the past. So now I've started a new comparison spreadsheet and narrowed it down to 6 with stipulations being mostly mesh, 2 doors and vestibules, under 2kg, under $500. That narrows it to 6 models. We'll likely make the decision in person. Fortunately both retailers are literally across the street from each other.

Have you looked at any of the Tarptent models? You have to order them since they aren't sold by retailers, but the lead times are pretty short compared to most cottage shops. The double rainbow in particular meets all your criteria, I think, and is only 1.4 kg and < $300. I think he has a new 2 person tent that is 2x trekking pole supported that is only 1 kg.

Sierra Designs is another cottage industry that makes some good and very lightweight tents.

Also the zpacks duplex doesn't really meet all your stipulations (fully closed floor with mesh sides but not full mesh, 4 doors but only 1 vestibuble) and is $600. But it's worth mentioning as it weighs only 0.6kg.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

That guy was right, I run a business doing trail construction and maintenance. Jobs run the gamut but the large ones are almost exclusively USFS. Right now we're working in the Frank Church and Selway Bitterroot Wildernesses in Bitterroot and Nez Perce NFs out of Darby south of Missoula MT but this spring we'll be working out of El Yunque NF in Puerto Rico and possibly out of Virginia this fall (bid decision not made yet).

We're getting old for maintenance contracts though, and it's difficult to gross more than 2k a week (for each of us)without soul crushing amounts of misery, so almost certainly 2019 will be our last maintenance year and we'll focus only on construction.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

thatguy posted:

That guy was right, I run a business doing trail construction and maintenance. Jobs run the gamut but the large ones are almost exclusively USFS. Right now we're working in the Frank Church and Selway Bitterroot Wildernesses in Bitterroot and Nez Perce NFs out of Darby south of Missoula MT but this spring we'll be working out of El Yunque NF in Puerto Rico and possibly out of Virginia this fall (bid decision not made yet).

We're getting old for maintenance contracts though, and it's difficult to gross more than 2k a week (for each of us)without soul crushing amounts of misery, so almost certainly 2019 will be our last maintenance year and we'll focus only on construction.

That's awesome! Having done some volunteer trail maintenance in the past, I can't tell you how much I really appreciate the backbreaking labor you guys put into building and maintaining everything. It's incredible the amount of work and design that go into something that if done properly, nobody will ever know anything was done at all.

Gear related question, but I'm looking for a new puffy mid layer kind of jacket for the shoulder seasons. I currently own a wiggys sweater, which is great, but I just want to try something a bit lighter and more compact. Any recommendations? Synthetic would be my preference over down, but I'm not opposed to down if there's a clear hivemind preference.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Crossposting from the purchases thread, but I picked up some new gear

Snagged a 30° underquilt from HammockGear (who makes everything right on the other side of town here, which is pretty cool)

Apparently the econ line is just made with a new kind of fabric which is a bit cheaper, and with a slightly less fill power down (800 vs 850). The combination of these things saves about a hundred bucks a quilt, while not really sacrificing much of anything.

Picked up a new reflective ridgeline with tarp connectors from DutchWare Gear:

A new midlayer puffy synthetic jacket:

Wound up going with Thermoball, so we'll see how good it is. I really loved my Wiggy's sweater, but I just wanted something longer and with a hood, and down doesn't work well for me as a midlayer. It just gets permeated with sweat and collapses.

A BeFree water filter, which will cut down some weight from my current gravity filter without sacrificing flowrate and ease of use:

One of the guys I went with on my last trip had one of these, and drat these things are just awesome! Less hassle and squeeze effor than a Sawyer, substantially better flow rate, and much easier to clean. This is what I always wanted the sawyer to be.

And some other bits and ends from Dutchware gear like reflective tarp tieouts, new stakes, and possibly my new favorite thing for backpacking, these tiny compressed towels that rehydrate with a few drops of water:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

That's awesome! Having done some volunteer trail maintenance in the past, I can't tell you how much I really appreciate the backbreaking labor you guys put into building and maintaining everything. It's incredible the amount of work and design that go into something that if done properly, nobody will ever know anything was done at all.

Gear related question, but I'm looking for a new puffy mid layer kind of jacket for the shoulder seasons. I currently own a wiggys sweater, which is great, but I just want to try something a bit lighter and more compact. Any recommendations? Synthetic would be my preference over down, but I'm not opposed to down if there's a clear hivemind preference.

I have an Arcteryx Atom LT and it might be the best piece of clothing I own. It is light, has a trim cut but still allows normal layering, and has maybe the best hood I have ever used. I like it enough that it has become my every day winter coat as it doesn't look obnoxiously outdoorsy. I think I am going to pick up the vest version this winter for actual hiking.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Is there a goonsensus on hats that I won't ruin by cramming into a stuff sack? I have a narrow brim fishing hat but it doesn't keep the sun off my nose and neck. Have any thoughts on a wide brim vs ballcap+neck drape style?

I already wear socks with sandals, so I don't need to worry about looking any more stupid, but I would prefer no cammo print.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

Is there a goonsensus on hats that I won't ruin by cramming into a stuff sack? I have a narrow brim fishing hat but it doesn't keep the sun off my nose and neck. Have any thoughts on a wide brim vs ballcap+neck drape style?

I already wear socks with sandals, so I don't need to worry about looking any more stupid, but I would prefer no cammo print.

I bought a hooded UV shirt for fishing but also wear it when hiking on sunny days. It is way cooler then I thought it would be and the hood on mine (Cabela's Guidewear) is deep enough that when I am wearing a ball cap the hood will tent over my face.

Not a great pic, but here it is;

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CopperHound posted:

I dunno about a goonsensus, but Sun Day Afternoons have a line of brimmed hats with a built-in crease in the center of the bill, which allows them to fold in half without ruining the bill. We've packed them into stuff sacks etc. without damage.

https://www.sundayafternoons.com/

I like a wide brim hat but it tends to bang up against my tall backpacking pack. A billed hat with neck drape does not, but definitely looks dorkier.

Here's one of their folding-bill hats:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

The hammock thread seems a bit cobwebbed, but if anyone's interested there appears to be a big sale on Eno products at backcountryedge.com. I've never heard of the site to be honest, but it was the cheapest result on google when I was looking for a new rain fly and had good luck with a service rep when I ordered the wrong thing. Looks like all their Eno stuff is 20% off.