Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sandeep posted:

North Korean artillery could absolutely hit Seoul.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/5-north-korean-weapons-south-korea-should-fear-14825

"Most of the artillery pieces—numbering in the thousands—are already in place, camouflaged and dug in. Neither the U.S. military nor South Korean forces can hope to eliminate those weapons before they obliterate the city—which by some estimates would take less than two hours. By some estimates, the city could be hit by over half-a-million shells in under an hour."

Well you can stop most of them. But that means we're nuking first.

In retrospect, war in '94 would have probably been a better idea. At least then nukes wouldn't have been on the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
She is such a repulsive, unpleasant woman. And by "repulsive" I don't mean her looks. She has no conscience, she has no soul, she has no moral center.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Casting shade on polite reporters wtf is happening...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
How will I know it's time to murder my neighbors for their food? I don't want to wait too long and have them murder me first. So embarrassing...

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

What a hater: "Go ahead April, since you said my name so politely. Somewhat sarcastically."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Enigma89 posted:

With how much they talk about Hillary you would think that she won the election. Jesus christ.

The way they've BEEN talking about Hilary since the 90's, you'd think she was the President this entire time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Enigma89 posted:

Check my post history but I was against the Iraq war and in most cases against any sort of foreign intervention which is why I was against Bush, Obama and Clinton. Nice try though.

I didn't say you were for it, I'm saying you're going down the same slide of fearful stupidity that got thousands of Americans killed, tens of thousands of Iraqis killed, and replaced a functional (albeit horrible, but functional) dictatorship with a power vacuum. You want to balkanize the Korean Peninsula? Keep going with this "we must take decisive action!" poo poo.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

JuniperCake posted:

Little home on the prairie ruffles but black like she is in mourning. Sounds legit to me.
WEAR A SUIT you complete moron, you're a representative of the highest office in the country, not a model for Old Navy's ill-fitting designer ripoffs. At least attempt to look professional.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
April Ryan takes no poo poo from anyone. She's probably my favorite one in that room.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Chilichimp posted:

lol, It's August and NBC has, for the 700th time, insinuated that Trump can finally become the President.
They just have to keep at it until the first ever live-tweeted State of the Business Address.

Van Jones will be tearfully prostrate himself before the Very Presidential president. The Pivot will go straight into Chai-uh-nya, through North Korea, solving the Asian Conflict.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Your Taint posted:

She is such a repulsive, unpleasant woman. And by "repulsive" I don't mean her looks. She has no conscience, she has no soul, she has no moral center.

Bad parenting.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

I didn't say you were for it, I'm saying you're going down the same slide of fearful stupidity that got thousands of Americans killed, tens of thousands of Iraqis killed, and replaced a functional (albeit horrible, but functional) dictatorship with a power vacuum. You want to balkanize the Korean Peninsula? Keep going with this "we must take decisive action!" poo poo.

IMO balkanize the world

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

STAC Goat posted:

Bad parenting.

Speaking of bad parenting.

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/892455062621966336

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

I really don't think China is going to declare war on the US if North Korea is invaded. They treat them as an embarrassing poor relation from what I understand, not a staunch ally who must be protected with some kind of equivalent of Article 5. Most likely they'd get really mad, slap some kind of sanctions on the US and harden the border and man their anti-refugee weapons platforms.

No reason for China to declare war or even sanction the US when all they have to do is wait 5 years for us to collapse from the costs of starting another unwinnable war.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

I really don't think China is going to declare war on the US if North Korea is invaded. They treat them as an embarrassing poor relation from what I understand, not a staunch ally who must be protected with some kind of equivalent of Article 5. Most likely they'd get really mad, slap some kind of sanctions on the US and harden the border and man their anti-refugee weapons platforms.

My understanding isn't war between us and them. More likely that they have a certain vested interested in NK economically/geographically/etc that we don't. If the US tries to roll tank columns into NK my understanding is a non-zero chance China does the same to secure as much territory as they can for their own needs.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

What about Stanley?

http://imgur.com/gallery/GMJTI

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Sandeep posted:

North Korean artillery could absolutely hit Seoul.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/5-north-korean-weapons-south-korea-should-fear-14825

"Most of the artillery pieces—numbering in the thousands—are already in place, camouflaged and dug in. Neither the U.S. military nor South Korean forces can hope to eliminate those weapons before they obliterate the city—which by some estimates would take less than two hours. By some estimates, the city could be hit by over half-a-million shells in under an hour."

I''ll direct you to RAND straight away https://www.rand.org/topics/north-korea.html

I have that old report here somewhere if you can't find it there. The takeaway is that NoKo tube artillery could reach the northern Seoul suburbs and no further + ROK has painstakingly scouted out all the prepared and possible positions over a span of decades. It's the scud missiles that constitutes the danger. Aaaand if one of those is loaded with a warhead... and even if it didn't, DPRK as we know has VX. And tech-transfer from Russia. Who put VX in Scuds.

What I'm hearing from people who should know, is that the US has perfect real-time full surveillance of everything that moves inside the DPRK and that they can't launch anything before it would get hit inside a shooting war. I'm healthily sceptical of that, naturally.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 1, 2017

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

TheScott2K posted:

Personally I don't give a poo poo if DPRK has a nuke. I was just asking a hypothetical question and was curious to see replies. I am very much not in favor of repeating the last 20 years of stupidity.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
What was that question about first strike as she walked?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Enigma89 posted:

Ahaha are we buying broke rear end Boeings from Russia now? :allears:

US Airforce buys old airframes all the time. Then they gut them and turn them into AWACS and ground control radar boats full of computers and analysts.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Enigma89 posted:

Personally I don't give a poo poo if DPRK has a nuke. I was just asking a hypothetical question and was curious to see replies. I am very much not in favor of repeating the last 20 years of stupidity.

Oh, so you were just concern trolling

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I''ll direct you to RAND straight away https://www.rand.org/topics/north-korea.html

I have that old report here somewhere if you can't find it there. The takeaway is that NoKo tube artillery could reach the northern Seoul suburbs and no further + ROK has painstakingly scouted out all the prepared and possible positions and over a span of decades. It's the scud missiles that constitutes the danger. Aaaand if one of those is loaded with a warhead... and even then, DPRK as we know has VX. And tech-transfer from Russia. Who put VX in Scuds.

What I'm hearing from people who should know, is that the US has perfect real-time full surveillance of everything that moves inside the DPRK and that they can't launch anything before it would get hit inside a shooting war. I'm healthily sceptical of that, naturally.

Did we end up putting a THAAD system in place to protect Seoul?I imagine it is not a good idea to shoot down Scuds loaded with VX mid flight?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

Nothing about being a veteran means you can't have a progressive platform. McGrath is smartly focusing on Obamacare because the GOP trying to burn it to the ground is basically THE issue right now.

:agreed: I'm just taking issue with Loam's claim that Kentucky isn't a place where progressive populism could work.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I went back and watched a random press briefing from 2013 and the press secretary ends it by answering a question, saying "Thank you very much", smiling and gathering his things. He doesn't smokebomb away.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Antivaxxer dog autism. Christ.
We have a very simple scale for dogs, it goes:
(not stupid<------->total dumbass)

I believe the autism scale is a bit more sophisticated?

e-
Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N_e8TMXshc

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 1, 2017

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

Lightning Lord posted:

Even if they have no way of launching them, if North Korea is invaded the leaders will probably realize that their day is done and detonate tactical nukes in combat. Invading NK is a disastrous, moronic idea.

On the other hand, American society is arranged in a way that joining the armed forces in order to not become homeless is an understandable decision.
Oh gosh yeah. I wasn't surprised at all to see Transgender folks serve at twice the rate of the population at large. They're a group of people widely marginalized for reasons that don't implicate their basic conpetence. It makes perfect sense they'd find themselves in the military, it remains a premier way out for people with poo poo options.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

A part of me wants to give this a semi-pass. Their sentiment is absolutely abhorrent and racist, but, when I first saw the photo, I thought I was looking at people in big black, full body cloaks too until I stared for a few seconds longer.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Would an anti vax movement among cattle ranchers rely instead on herd immunity?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Retro42 posted:

My understanding isn't war between us and them. More likely that they have a certain vested interested in NK economically/geographically/etc that we don't. If the US tries to roll tank columns into NK my understanding is a non-zero chance China does the same to secure as much territory as they can for their own needs.

China doesn't need territory and it sure as poo poo doesn't need a few more malnourished, illiterate peasants either. What they really don't want however is a US client state on their southern border.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Is that dumbshit still saying we should shove our dick in the DPRK nest? Oh, nevermind, he was just asking questions.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Covok posted:

A part of me wants to give this a semi-pass. Their sentiment is absolutely abhorrent and racist, but, when I first saw the photo, I thought I was looking at people in big black, full body cloaks too until I stared for a few seconds longer.

Presumably whoever took the picture is aware of what bus seats in their region look like (while they aren't shaped at all like the ones here, and possibly not by you either) and shouldn't be surprised when they see things shaped like bus seats.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
You're kidding yourself if you think war with NK won't end as quickly and embarrassingly as Iraq (not the occupation).

To fight a war you need soldiers that are willing to support you, and when you can barely feed your soldiers and they're regularly defecting, they're not going to support you for a prolonged engagement.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Did we end up putting a THAAD system in place to protect Seoul?I imagine it is not a good idea to shoot down Scuds loaded with VX mid flight?

The THAAD battery is there, we'll see if ROK buys more eventually. VX, even if it is pre-mixed, could still be neutralized by an explosion especially if the carrier is still full of rocket fuel. It might not be reliable, but it's better than you think.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Helen Highwater posted:

China doesn't need territory and it sure as poo poo doesn't need a few more malnourished, illiterate peasants either. What they really don't want however is a US client state on their southern border.

There's not much they can do IMO if the US decides to throw all sanity to the wind and invade and occupy NK though

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Edit:nvm

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

You're kidding yourself if you think war with NK won't end as quickly and embarrassingly as Iraq (not the occupation).

To fight a war you need soldiers that are willing to support you, and when you can barely feed your soldiers and they're regularly defecting, they're not going to support you for a prolonged engagement.

Yeah but in that case the leadership might just detonate warheads as an outgoing gently caress you to the world.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mr. Crow posted:

NK soldiers are well fed. They're about the only people in DPRK who are.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

China is frustrated by NK but they want to be seen as the defining power in the region so they absolutely can't do nothing if there is a US invasion. That would be very embarrassing for them (what worth is China's protection if the US can just come in and destroy you anyways?). For obvious reasons they wouldn't want direct war with us but who knows what will happen if they feel pressured into acting. It definitely wouldn't just be sanctions. It would at least result in a proxy war on the peninsula if not cold war relations with the threat of escalation to something far more severe.

If NK strikes first, that's different. They'd have to take a hard stance against NK in that instance.

But it's a moot point, NK doesn't want to be destroyed so they won't attack anyone. They just want to be taken seriously and given a place on the world stage. They shouldn't be given these things so right now it seems the best solution is to isolate and hope the government collapses or there's a coup or something. I don't believe there is a feasible solution for the US to solve the NK problem but there are definitely ways we can make things far worse.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I dare not turn on FOX because I don't want to lose brain cells, but have any of you brave souls tuned in today? Have they commented on this Seth Rich story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

There comes a point where being North Korea's only friend is a bigger problem than a shared (river? Am I remembering that right?) border with a US-friendly state. It's also possible they could come to see it as an opportunity.

• Locked thread