Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Crow posted:

You're kidding yourself if you think war with NK won't end as quickly and embarrassingly as Iraq (not the occupation).

To fight a war you need soldiers that are willing to support you, and when you can barely feed your soldiers and they're regularly defecting, they're not going to support you for a prolonged engagement.

In a war against NK most of the NK casualties would probably be NK officers shooting deserters.

Edit: Dog Tax

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dietrich posted:

In a war against NK most of the NK casualties would probably be NK officers shooting deserters.

They'll embrace us as liberators, just like in Iraq and Afghanistan

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

NK soldiers are well fed. They're about the only people in DPRK who are.

NK soldiers are fed. I wouldn't call them well fed.

Your Taint posted:

I dare not turn on FOX because I don't want to lose brain cells, but have any of you brave souls tuned in today? Have they commented on this Seth Rich story?

There's a Seth Rich story? I've seen nothing on it and I've been watching most of the day. Mostly it's been Kelly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

KickerOfMice posted:

Antivaxxer dog autism. Christ.
We have a very simple scale for dogs, it goes:
(not stupid<------->total dumbass)

I believe the autism scale is a bit more sophisticated?

e-
Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N_e8TMXshc

Besides everyone knows it's cats that have autism.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah but in that case the leadership might just detonate warheads as an outgoing gently caress you to the world.

The problem with nuclear war with Russia and China are that they have literally thousands of ICBMs they could launch at once.

North Korea doesn't even have one, shooting down a single or even a couple dozen theoretical missiles is not going to be a big deal.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Pellisworth posted:

They'll embrace us as liberators, just like in Iraq and Afghanistan

Right because the political situation in Iraq is just like DPRK.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
North Korea isn't some rich paradise but it's weird how people still talk about a famine from twenty years ago like its current events.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

You're kidding yourself if you think war with NK won't end as quickly and embarrassingly as Iraq (not the occupation).

To fight a war you need soldiers that are willing to support you, and when you can barely feed your soldiers and they're regularly defecting, they're not going to support you for a prolonged engagement.

The problem with war with North Korea isn't winning, the US will win that war every time. The problem is how many people die when North Korea shells the poo poo out of one of the densest and most populous cities in the world - to say nothing of any potential nuclear threat or the massive refugee crisis that will ensue when that country collapses.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

DrNutt posted:

Besides everyone knows it's cats that have autism.

How dare you! What's your source on this specious cla...

https://www.amazon.com/All-Cats-Have-Asperger-Syndrome/dp/1843104814

Oh, carry on.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Mr. Crow posted:

The problem with nuclear war with Russia and China are that they have literally thousands of ICBMs they could launch at once.

North Korea doesn't even have one, shooting down a single or even a couple dozen theoretical missiles is not going to be a big deal.

No, I mean land detonate a warhead/dirty nuke.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

North Korea isn't some rich paradise but it's weird how people still talk about a famine from twenty years ago like its current events.

NK might not be currently undergoing a famine but its well known that the vast majority of food production goes straight to the military while the rest of the population survives on the meager remains.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

As if a bunch of starving norks would prove more than a road bump for the us military... Oorah

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If I were to go to war with North Korea, I would do [insert random speculation/strategy from an unqualified individual who has never studied military strategy or served in the military].

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Krispy Kareem posted:

There's a Seth Rich story? I've seen nothing on it and I've been watching most of the day. Mostly it's been Kelly.

There's a racial discrimination lawsuit against Fox where someone alleges that the White House pushed the Seth Rich story on Fox to distract from Russia.

There's nothing in that sentence that makes me think Fox News would acknowledge this story.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ekeog posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/892454136108773380

Always fun when Jay Sekulow is directly contradicted

I actually don't know how he can possibly continue representing Trump. He either knowingly lied to the public or Trump lied to him. Either way, his ability to effectively represent Trump is gone.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

evilweasel posted:

I actually don't know how he can possibly continue representing Trump. He either knowingly lied to the public or Trump lied to him. Either way, his ability to effectively represent Trump is gone.

I feel like state bars really aren't doing their job here

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This whole administration is like playing a Phoenix Wright trial where you can shout "objection" at every single statement.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

NK soldiers are well fed. They're about the only people in DPRK who are.

Yeah theres a reason they have a disproportionate amount of the total population in their military. It's just about one of the only ways to eek out a sort of living outside of being an inner party person where you might actually get a car or something god forbid

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So if Trump asked Fox News to push Seth Rich conspiracies, then that means, by Law of Trumpian Projection, Trump had a campaign worker killed to keep something quiet :ohdear:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
http://i.imgur.com/dQuhtES.gifv

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
so like how long until trump is a hermit president, never leaving mar a lago and only communicating with everyone via tweet

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

NK might not be currently undergoing a famine but its well known that the vast majority of food production goes straight to the military while the rest of the population survives on the meager remains.

Who knows, most stuff "everyone knows" about North Korea is made up garbage

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Covok posted:

A part of me wants to give this a semi-pass. Their sentiment is absolutely abhorrent and racist, but, when I first saw the photo, I thought I was looking at people in big black, full body cloaks too until I stared for a few seconds longer.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576

Kale
May 14, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

The problem with war with North Korea isn't winning, the US will win that war every time. The problem is how many people die when North Korea shells the poo poo out of one of the densest and most populous cities in the world - to say nothing of any potential nuclear threat or the massive refugee crisis that will ensue when that country collapses.

Isn't the party line of propaganda that Seoul is under occupation and brainwashing by evil American imperialists and that they arm themselves and maintain their disproportionately massive enrollment in the army for the eventually great liberation if their brothers? I suppose they could bullshit that America torched Seoul out of spite or something but like what would be the ppint?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

skylined! posted:

so like how long until trump is a hermit president, never leaving mar a lago and only communicating with everyone via tweet

He's got the trip planned for most of August already

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

JuniperCake posted:

China is frustrated by NK but they want to be seen as the defining power in the region so they absolutely can't do nothing if there is a US invasion. That would be very embarrassing for them (what worth is China's protection if the US can just come in and destroy you anyways?). For obvious reasons they wouldn't want direct war with us but who knows what will happen if they feel pressured into acting. It definitely wouldn't just be sanctions. It would at least result in a proxy war on the peninsula if not cold war relations with the threat of escalation to something far more severe.

If NK strikes first, that's different. They'd have to take a hard stance against NK in that instance.

But it's a moot point, NK doesn't want to be destroyed so they won't attack anyone. They just want to be taken seriously and given a place on the world stage. They shouldn't be given these things so right now it seems the best solution is to isolate and hope the government collapses or there's a coup or something. I don't believe there is a feasible solution for the US to solve the NK problem but there are definitely ways we can make things far worse.

This. China wants status quo (because its making them rich and powerful), North Korea is a headache just because they don't want a status quo (they want to get rich and powerful instead). Under Obama this was diplomatically manageable, since most of the world wanted a status quo.

I'm scared now since Trump is a narcissistic orange-soda can who deifies military history and Great Men in the Military, without having ever having served in war himself. He aught to be under pressure from the last six months and that he can't make it go away. Everyone (Republicans) should be frightened if this soda-can wants to pop.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

So if Trump asked Fox News to push Seth Rich conspiracies, then that means, by Law of Trumpian Projection, Trump had a campaign worker killed to keep something quiet :ohdear:

I've had a running joke with my friends that Trump's campaign and (unfortunately) presidency has been a 1:1 mirror to the lyrics of Bohemian Rhapsody. We've had "Nothing really matters", "Scaramouch", and "Just gotta get right outta here", so it only makes sense that we're rapidly closing in on "Momma, just killed a man..."

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yes but everyone keeps bringing up their supposed threat to the US and nuking west coast cities, it's not going to happen.

Also the couple people suggesting the military is well fed, maybe in regards to the average civilian, but well fed in NK is not well fed in SK. Look up news articles on any number of defectors and descriptions of the current situation.

Sure the officers and some very specific units are probably well fed but there are numerous sources saying rank and file are getting slightly better than jack poo poo.

Edit: here's one article barely a month old http://www.newsweek.com/soldiers-life-north-korean-army-marked-hunger-and-defections-are-rising-627596

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 1, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Kale posted:

Isn't the party line of propaganda that Seoul is under occupation and brainwashing by evil American imperialists and that they arm themselves and maintain their disproportionately massive enrollment in the army for the eventually great liberation if their brothers? I suppose they could bullshit that America torched Seoul out of spite or something but like what would be the ppint?

Probably because an invasion would cause the regime to collapse and gently caress you

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Kareem posted:

Well you can stop most of them. But that means we're nuking first.

In retrospect, war in '94 would have probably been a better idea. At least then nukes wouldn't have been on the table.

Here's another liberal lusting after war.

I'm convinced the reason why liberals hate trump has more to do with tone than any real policy differences

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Covok posted:

If I were to go to war with North Korea, I would do [insert random speculation/strategy from an unqualified individual who has never studied military strategy or served in the military].

And that's exactly how the decision to go to war will take place in the Whitehouse.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kale posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and suppose that the dirt-poor millitary dictatorship's propoganda isn't going to sweat the details if things come to that.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

mod sassinator posted:

And that's exactly how the decision to go to war will take place in the Whitehouse.

"It worked for W!"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kevincollier/status/892460023070294017

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mr. Crow posted:

If you hit. If you miss...

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mod sassinator posted:

Oh Dear God...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Covok posted:

I have in fact got a Master's in Strategic Studies :eng101:

And I say nuke the next major party conference.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mister Adequate posted:

I have in fact got a Master's in Strategic Studies :eng101:

And I say nuke the next major party conference.

I can support this, have you considered running? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

Here's another liberal lusting after war.

I'm convinced the reason why liberals hate trump has more to do with tone than any real policy differences

Who me? I thought I was the token Republican in this thread.

I don't want war. Just pointing out war would have been better in the mid-90's when North Korea had no nukes and was barely keeping itself together. Ironically if North Korea nukes Seoul or Japan, history books will be a lot less appreciative of Jimmy Carter's post-presidency accomplishments.

• Locked thread