Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Hey.

Cut it out.

(I couldn't find a Cosgrove cosplay to go along with this so you'll just have to imagine one.)

Cosgrove?

Google's drawing a blank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hyperlynx posted:

Cosgrove?

Google's drawing a blank

The cop from Freakzoid.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Jedit posted:

That comes across more as "insouciant playboy". And Stark's not suffering when he's making the suit in the cave even though he's not drinking.

And the drunken party in the secound movie was because he was dying from poison

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TunaSpleen posted:

Ugh, that D.va mech stirred so much emotion when it came to MechaCon in NOLA this past weekend. Hype from the fans, of course, and pure vitriol from everyone in the cosplay contest for basically swooping in at the last minute and swiping two awards away from the rest of the contestant pool. They won a staggering $100 for their efforts.

I love cosplay contest drama. So bitchy, so pointless. :allears:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RickVoid posted:

We Know Catheters posted:

Holy poo poo, a clean hat trick for Say Nothing!

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh boy, I can only imagine the kind of petty bullshit that goes on.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I don't think it's pointless. The way I see it, imagine you spent hundreds of hours hand-carving a Batman suit out of EVA foam and Worbla. Every detail down to perfection, and hours upon hours mastering the paint job and weathering. You bought a 3D printer and learned how to use it just so you could make some Batarangs. Now imagine you're certain you'll win the Advanced category when all of a sudden, some guy in a store-bought rubber Batman suit drives up in an actual Batmobile and wins two awards. Like, he's not even at the competition level anymore; he could easily charge money exhibiting that vehicle at conventions. That's what the D.va mech felt like to me, and I wasn't even competing against it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I'm confused, was there something that gave them too much leg on the competition besides :effort:? I remember people giving Master Le or whatever his name who does Iron Man suits poo poo because he entered a competition for children (and won iirc) and didn't help that he was known for being a douche

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Voyager I posted:

Are we TRYING to summon Snatch Duster now? Come on, people!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TunaSpleen posted:

I don't think it's pointless. The way I see it, imagine you spent hundreds of hours hand-carving a Batman suit out of EVA foam and Worbla. Every detail down to perfection, and hours upon hours mastering the paint job and weathering. You bought a 3D printer and learned how to use it just so you could make some Batarangs. Now imagine you're certain you'll win the Advanced category when all of a sudden, some guy in a store-bought rubber Batman suit drives up in an actual Batmobile and wins two awards. Like, he's not even at the competition level anymore; he could easily charge money exhibiting that vehicle at conventions. That's what the D.va mech felt like to me, and I wasn't even competing against it.

That's not what happened in this case at all though. The mech seems to have been made completely from scratch by the girl's father.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm confused, was there something that gave them too much leg on the competition besides :effort:? I remember people giving Master Le or whatever his name who does Iron Man suits poo poo because he entered a competition for children (and won iirc) and didn't help that he was known for being a douche

I'd say they had a huge leg up by going viral online before the contest and even crowdfunding their transportation costs. I can't say anything negative about their behavior, but once you reach that level, it belongs in an exhibition/industry professional class that ranks beyond hobbyists. The judges also broke MechaCon tradition by giving two awards to the same person which in previous years was a faux pas.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TunaSpleen posted:

Now imagine you're certain you'll win the Advanced category when

Ha ha ha, anyone who thinks like that is a dick

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This guy got too many upvotes on Reddit so he shouldn't be allowed to beat me.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
To keep things on topic, here are some amazing costumes from this weekend:

Nuka Cola power armor lady won (edit) judge's choice award (best novice went to a Dr. Strange duo)

Urbosa from Zelda: BotW (not in the contest, certainly was awesome enough)

Vi won best advanced

Thrall won best in show

The D.va mech took best individual walk-on and Emissary's Choice (guest award by the VIP badge holder, usually has to choose a different costume that hasn't already won anything)

TunaSpleen has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Aug 1, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TunaSpleen posted:

I'd say they had a huge leg up by going viral online before the contest and even crowdfunding their transportation costs. I can't say anything negative about their behavior, but once you reach that level, it belongs in an exhibition/industry professional class that ranks beyond hobbyists. The judges also broke MechaCon tradition by giving two awards to the same person which in previous years was a faux pas.

The awards are meaningless though. All of your points can be rebutted with "but who gives a poo poo?" A bunch of people showed up to a convention and had fun showing off their cosplay, that's where it begins and ends, who cares about the awards. Are they giving out $10,000 checks to the winners or something?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TunaSpleen posted:

This honestly sounds like the other competitors are saying "Its unfair because they are good and popular! I shouldnt have to compete against someone who is good and popular!". If you can tell me that the dad who built it is in fact an industry professional then I'll agree he belongs in an industry professional class. Otherwise... Dude built an awesome cosplay mech that became popular because it is awesome. If you want to beat that, be better. If another competitor had produced something better then they might also have gone viral before the contest, thats not a leg up, thats something literally any competitor could do if they made something that got people excited. Unless you are going to tell me that another contestant had a better entry but lost out because of the hype about the D.Va mech? As for someone who is "certain they will win the advanced catagory" then by this logic if they are that sure to win then they themselves should be removed and put into an exhibition/industry professional class that ranks beyone hobbyists, to be fair to others who arent a lock to win?

Its also not on the contestant if the judges "broke mechacon tradition", thats on the judges. Having said that is it a tradition not to because it was a faux pas, if you know it was a faux pas to give two awards to the same entry presumably its happened before? And if it has happened before then it happening again isnt a break in tradition.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Basebf555 posted:

The awards are meaningless though. All of your points can be rebutted with "but who gives a poo poo?" A bunch of people showed up to a convention and had fun showing off their cosplay, that's where it begins and ends, who cares about the awards. Are they giving out $10,000 checks to the winners or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kIsEzEmI9w&t=88s

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Are they giving out $10,000 checks to the winners or something?

Biggest check was $1k, I'm sure it didn't cover all the orc's material costs.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Cosgrove?

Google's drawing a blank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i9Fa2UrDAk

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

TunaSpleen posted:

Thrall won best in show

Hilariously enough, I got curbstomped by the original builder behind the design for Thrall here at the last big contest I competed in. He took home I think like $6k and I got a medal, haha. He documented his build super well and this isn't the first other attempt at following it I've seen so I'm looking forward to having my face rubbed in my defeat for years to come. :v: (Not actually bitter, he's obviously crazy good) (Backstage cosplay drama gets pretty loving intense though for real)

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I only saw one episode of that terrible cosplay reality show Syfy had, and one of the contestants they followed on the show actually did have a hollywood special effects person build part of the costume.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Voyager I posted:

And that's why I don't say anything.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Say Nothing posted:

:psyduck:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rodbeard posted:

I only saw one episode of that terrible cosplay reality show Syfy had, and one of the contestants they followed on the show actually did have a hollywood special effects person build part of the costume.

Most of the cast of that show don't enter competitions or anything though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bob from Steven Universe.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TunaSpleen posted:

If a dude showed up in an actual batmobile that he built from scratch in his garage I wouldn't exactly hold a grudge

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Some choice sour grapes in this thread. Here's some people cosplaying as sour grapes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Say Nothing posted:

What's with the artifacts on this picture?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Grem posted:

What's with the artifacts on this picture?

I think it's because the pattern was printed onto the bodysuit she's wearing and it wasn't at high res. The artifacts aren't in the photo, they're on the costume.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Polaron posted:

I think it's because the pattern was printed onto the bodysuit she's wearing and it wasn't at high res. The artifacts aren't in the photo, they're on the costume.

She's an Instagram cosplayer "Published Cosplayer & Geekwear Model" with over 100,000 followers, there's no way she'd step out onto a convention floor with a badly printed costume.

It looks fine in her other Instagram photos, I think someone just took a hasty screengrab and enlarged it to the point that it got artifacts for some reason
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSsJPaYhV_w/?taken-by=karrigan.taylor

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Teehee.
So random.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I really doubt the costume is the thing causing the artifacting on stuff like the people in the background

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Teehee.
So random.

It's clear from the context of the caption that she meant "unplanned and unposed" as opposed to "monkey cheese wacky", but feel free to take a random dig anyway.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
random photo of me hanging by the legs from a construction crane because that's what *Naruto* would do

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

GenericOverusedName posted:

I really doubt the costume is the thing causing the artifacting on stuff like the people in the background

that would be a sbhj costume

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

AriadneThread posted:

that would be a sbhj costume

:sbahj:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

2B guy version cosplay, which is a little risque to inline

2Buff

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

DudeB owns.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

How do you suppress boners in that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Why would you?