Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The person being pulled into the sink by the blob, their bloody leg getting sucked down the drain. That always stuck with me.

The Blob remake was one of the movies I watched when I was sick, and it made me nauseous. I feel like that feeling is imprinted, and if I were to watch it again, I'd feel that same sickly nausea.

I'd like to show The Blob remake for one of my horror movie nights, but I'd have to figure out a good theme or double feature. I can't show the original and the remake as a double feature, right? Too much blob?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Blob remake is rad as gently caress because it seems to be coming at the audience with a chip on its shoulder. Like for the guys behind it, Frank Darabont and Chuck Russell, it's like they remembered this movie being scary as hell as kids, and were now seeing it being mocked by modern 80's audiences. So they were like, "okay, challenge accepted." I think what struck me the most about rewatching it is how innocent people die hard (see: the good natured diner owner having to come face-to-melted-face with her would-be suitor before being crushed in a phonebooth). Plus it straight-up turbomurders a kid. You really want to take a ride to hell, double-feature it with Croenenber's The Fly for a bloody drive-in horror remake good time.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 1, 2017

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Abandoned Grain Elevator?

Oh yeah, that's the one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Franchescanado posted:

The person being pulled into the sink by the blob, their bloody leg getting sucked down the drain. That always stuck with me.

The Blob remake was one of the movies I watched when I was sick, and it made me nauseous. I feel like that feeling is imprinted, and if I were to watch it again, I'd feel that same sickly nausea.

I'd like to show The Blob remake for one of my horror movie nights, but I'd have to figure out a good theme or double feature. I can't show the original and the remake as a double feature, right? Too much blob?

You already did my first suggestion of The Stuff so how about before The Blob showing a horror movie with some kids doing stuff but not getting killed moments to make The Blob stand out even more. Like The Gate or something along those lines.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

You already did my first suggestion of The Stuff so how about before The Blob showing a horror movie with some kids doing stuff but not getting killed moments to make The Blob stand out even more. Like The Gate or something along those lines.

The Gate and The Blob would be a kickin' rad 80's double feature.

It'd also be mean as hell. Typically I try to do the mean/scary/gross movie first and then the second movie as a little lighter for people to mellow out.

It'd be hilarious to break that trend with The Blob. :getin:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Franchescanado posted:

It'd also be mean as hell. Typically I try to do the mean/scary/gross movie first and then the second movie as a little lighter for people to mellow out.

The Fly, dude. Gory drive-in horror remake double feature.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Hell yea, nobody's gonna come up with a better one than this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Untrustable posted:

Tell me your secrets. Where do I go from here on the path to found footage enlightenment? All I have to look forward to is Boots On The Ground in like 2018

Dig up some crap off Found Footage Critic.com, watch some of the foreign stuff (SORGOI PRAKHOV was a cool recent fave of mine), watch some of those shithouse Kings Of Horror FF movies.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Franchescanado posted:

It'd be awesome too because The Blob has it crashing as a meteorite at first so we think it's an alien entity and not a government project, but it still has a similarity to The Gate where both open up with a geode thing popping up in suburbia and it honestly is pretty campy when it first grabs that hobo's arm. A fast progression from something to a little light to :wtc:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

I really want to do that, but I think it might break my audience. Maybe I can get some fun vomit bags for everyone.

The Fly remake is the other movie I saw when I was sick and I now have muscle memory-like nausea when I watch it. (Not that that's a bad thing.)

I just checked and both are a little over 90 minutes...

I think it's going to happen.

Neo Rasa posted:

It'd be awesome too because The Blob has it crashing as a meteorite at first so we think it's an alien entity and not a government project, but it still has a similarity to The Gate where both open up with a geode thing popping up in suburbia and it honestly is pretty campy when it first grabs that hobo's arm. A fast progression from something to a little light to :wtc:

I agree, it'd be a really fun one, but I can't beat The Fly/The Blob 80's Remake Night.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Untrustable posted:

Tell me your secrets. Where do I go from here on the path to found footage enlightenment? All I have to look forward to is Boots On The Ground in like 2018

Found Footage 3D sounds interesting.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I should specify, I find the CONCEPT of the original much scarier.

Some gently caress off germ of a thing falls from space and suddenly everyone and everything is going to die.

What's worse, it doesn't just dissolve you like the Remake Thing- it transforms you. It turns you INTO it. You just become more mass for it.

Absorption VS dissolving

Think of that poor old dude who woke up and found his arm was now just Blob Stuff.

You could do some hosed up poo poo with that.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Franchescanado posted:

I really want to do that, but I think it might break my audience. Maybe I can get some fun vomit bags for everyone.

The Fly remake is the other movie I saw when I was sick and I now have muscle memory-like nausea when I watch it. (Not that that's a bad thing.)

I just checked and both are a little over 90 minutes...

I think it's going to happen.

I agree, it'd be a really fun one, but I can't beat The Fly/The Blob 80's Remake Night.

Ha, you should dig up some of those old William Castle promos where he warns the audience about the "graphic nature of the motion picture you are about to witness"and poo poo and run them during seating. They'd be perfect for the drive-in aesthetic.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

Ha, you should dig up some of those old William Castle promos where he warns the audience about the "graphic nature of the motion picture you are about to witness"and poo poo and run them during seating. They'd be perfect for the drive-in aesthetic.

Deal. I always do a pre-show playlist of ads, short films, cartoons for everyone to get in the mood and to hint at the movies and themes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Deal. I always do a pre-show playlist of ads, short films, cartoons for everyone to get in the mood and to hint at the movies and themes.

Do these people understand how lucky they are? You're doing God's work.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

I always wanted to make a parody thread of this thread called Gimme Bud: The buddy cop movie thread but I don't really like buddy cop movies all that much.

Gimme Yer Badge and make it about police movies in general (I know it ruins the wordplay). But then you could lump in Poliziotteschi movies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Do these people understand how lucky they are? You're doing God's work.

Probably not.

The best compliment I've had was from my friend, who claims to actively hate horror movies and considers it one of the worst genres. He said that he's loved every movie I've shown and it's been the highlight of his summer so far, and that he's no longer dismissive of the genre.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Franchescanado posted:

Copycat.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Copycat.

I prefer to call it an Americanized remake.

edit: You still win for having original bumpers and intros and the like. I've thought about doing it, but I can't get editing softwares to work on my laptop.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Copycat.

Underrated movie, that one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Franchescanado posted:

I prefer to call it an Americanized remake.

edit: You still win for having original bumpers and intros and the like. I've thought about doing it, but I can't get editing softwares to work on my laptop.

Hey I can't even take credit for that, I learned it all from my pal Gerry Swanson, who used to do bad/weird movie streams with goofy intros and compilation videos.

This is a level of dedication I can never hope to reach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuiL9IwoOAM

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I got a bunch of older sci-fi and horrors during the recent KL sale. So far I've watched The Oblong Box and The Quatermass Xperiment. Both are worth seeing, particularly the Quatermass Xperiment.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Quatermass Xperiment is great, little bummed I passed on that KL sale but my shelves are overflowing

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hollismason posted:

Where do you load up the page stats at? I dunno how to do that. I'd be curious as to how posts everyone made.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't make my first post here until about 4 years in, so I'm surprised to be that high on the list. Well, not that surprised.

Unfortunately my first posts in the thread were some dumb opinion of how genres should be defined. Embarrassing.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

smallmouth posted:

I got a bunch of older sci-fi and horrors during the recent KL sale. So far I've watched The Oblong Box and The Quatermass Xperiment. Both are worth seeing, particularly the Quatermass Xperiment.

if you haven't seen it, Quartermass and the Pit is one of my fav movies that I've seen in the last year. Hammer horror/scifi film? Sign me the gently caress up. Try to go in knowing as little as possible about the plot because I did that and it seriously blew me away cause I sure was not expecting anything at all out of it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I didn't make my first post here until about 4 years in, so I'm surprised to be that high on the list. Well, not that surprised.

Unfortunately my first posts in the thread were some dumb opinion of how genres should be defined. Embarrassing.

I didn't post until 6 or 7 years in...

You are all very patient with my frequent posting

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

What's the threads opinion on The Dark Tapes? I was thinking of renting it through Amazon but don't wanna waste the money if it's outright awful.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still relatively new to posting in here mostly because I just lurked for the longest.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Untrustable posted:

What's the threads opinion on The Dark Tapes? I was thinking of renting it through Amazon but don't wanna waste the money if it's outright awful.

It's awful.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Untrustable posted:

I think the consensus was that it's bad? Am I remembering that right?

Edit: I guess so

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dang 12 more posts (11 after this one) and I'll have to quit.

Content: I love Phone Booth and things like that, and this looks ridiculously good

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=wBf0xLj7FhU

So does this new David Bruckner

https://youtu.be/A0DrYMaWhlA

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Dang 12 more posts (11 after this one) and I'll have to quit.

Content: I love Phone Booth and things like that, and this looks ridiculously good

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=wBf0xLj7FhU

So does this new David Bruckner

https://youtu.be/A0DrYMaWhlA

Nice. Like the look of both. Though Downrange looks like it could be a short movie stretched into 90mins

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Ramadu posted:

if you haven't seen it, Quartermass and the Pit is one of my fav movies that I've seen in the last year. Hammer horror/scifi film? Sign me the gently caress up. Try to go in knowing as little as possible about the plot because I did that and it seriously blew me away cause I sure was not expecting anything at all out of it.

I remember watching Quatermass and the Pit when I was 7 years old on the local UHF station's Saturday afternoon sci-fi/horror show and it freaked me out. Like the last 15 minutes or so of that stuck with me for a long time.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Franchescanado posted:

Do a Kevin Dillon doubleheader and include Remote Control.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Untrustable posted:

It's balls. Hated it.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Ok so definitely not spending money on The Dark Tapes. I settled on They're Watching and so far I am unimpressed. I am probably gonna finish it and maybe it'll get good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Untrustable posted:

Ok so definitely not spending money on The Dark Tapes. I settled on They're Watching and so far I am unimpressed. I am probably gonna finish it and maybe it'll get good.

If you started They're Watching, you should definitely finish it. It never gets "good", but it definitely ratchets up the insanity towards the end in a way that most found footage films don't have the balls to go for.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

alphabettitouretti posted:

I watched The Dyatlov Pass Incident (aka Devil's Pass) the other day and that might be slightly better than the average youtube movie. It's incompetently made even for this genre as it fails the most basic test of believably selling that it's found footage (and it's not like Renny Harlin is a first time director so there's no excuse) but it does have a fun premise once things actually start happening. The ending is kinda nuts and has some cheap but effective creature design.

I thought this movie was good for what it was. It keeps up a good pace, makes good use of the whole frozen tundra environment and the whole idea of interdimensional time loop monster versions of themselves was pretty eerie and original. Not a classic, but better than like 90% of the found footage genre (which unfortunately says very little)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I always think I post way more than I do, but I also have the bad (good?) habit of typing out long winded posts, re-reading them to myself, then deleting them before moving on to the next opportunity to poo poo post.

(I should've deleted this post before hitting submit...)