Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

The picture might be unrelated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Byzantine posted:

Or it's because if you ever mention that you don't have or want kids, you get stared at like you just grew another head and then swarmed with "who'll take care of you when you're old" "you'll change your mind" "you were a kid too!" "no see, constant screaming is actually cool and good" "i can't eat ice cream without hiding in a locked off room, but you're weird!" etc. etc. and it really gets loving old.

Thread title

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

poptart_fairy posted:

So what's your #CrotchSpawn tumblr.

Mine is @womenwonttouchmeanyway

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Fathis Munk posted:

Grapes of Wrath is a pretty weird name for a dog imo.

I had a fish named Joseph Conrad's The Heart of Darkness, but I admit I am an insufferable twat

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had a piranha named Hannibal.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Re: the edit - bullshit, he just quickly looked on wikipedia after posting and found out he screwed it up.

Also it's equally banal to name two of the most famous pieces of art there are as your favorites as liking dj tiesto.

Why are people so smug about the dumbest things?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Imagine having to edit to save face because it turns out you're dumber than the strawman idiot you made up

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Also you call him Leonardo, not "Da Vinci" you loving plebian

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
People who only like "sophisticated" stuff and look down their noses at people who like pop culture are waaaaay more pathetic than the most lowbrow hick or airhead imaginable

Unless they're "intellectual" teenagers, which is annoying but kind of to be expected.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Sistine Chapel is way too dark and kind of lame tbh, I didn't even realise our tour had arrived in it at first.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I feel like a lot of people who are vehemently against producing offspring because kids are just so terrible and awful and screaming and crying, acted worse as children than the children they use as examples of why they don't want children. Oh, and I bet they are only children because their parents said gently caress this we can't handle two

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Pththya-lyi posted:

People who only like "sophisticated" stuff and look down their noses at people who like pop culture are waaaaay more pathetic than the most lowbrow hick or airhead imaginable
The hilarious part is that they always name the most filthy casual level of 'sophisticated' things.

"Ah yes, I appreciate the finest artists of history, like...*tries to remember middle school classes* Van Gogh. :smug:"

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Haifisch posted:

The hilarious part is that they always name the most filthy casual level of 'sophisticated' things.

"Ah yes, I appreciate the finest artists of history, like...*tries to remember middle school classes* Van Gogh. :smug:"

Van Gogh is really awesome, to be fair

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Haifisch posted:

It happens in pretty much everything though. People who want to seem smart and worldy will obsess over either the most famous or most difficult to understand thing. I always laugh when people say their favorite book is Ulysses (I heard this all the time in highschool at least). The stdh is probably 90% of them never read it and 95+% of those who did didn't really understand it. I got one chapter in and thought it was way too much work and gave up. I can understand appreciating it for what it is, but I am convinced that anyone who lists it as their "favorite/most enjoyable novel" is full of poo poo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Drunk Tomato posted:

Van Gogh is really awesome, to be fair

Yeah I was going to call them basic but that is true.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It happens in pretty much everything though. People who want to seem smart and worldy will obsess over either the most famous or most difficult to understand thing. I always laugh when people say their favorite book is Ulysses (I heard this all the time in highschool at least). The stdh is probably 90% of them never read it and 95+% of those who did didn't really understand it. I got one chapter in and thought it was way too much work and gave up. I can understand appreciating it for what it is, but I am convinced that anyone who lists it as their "favorite/most enjoyable novel" is full of poo poo.

Finnegan's Wake is much more suspect, however I completely believe anyone who says their favourite Joyce writings are the farting letters he sent to his wife.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

life is killing me posted:

I feel like a lot of people who are vehemently against producing offspring because kids are just so terrible and awful and screaming and crying, acted worse as children than the children they use as examples of why they don't want children. Oh, and I bet they are only children because their parents said gently caress this we can't handle two

I mean children can't really control how they act (parents can help teach to a point ofc) and they also didn't choose to be born, but I can certainly choose to not bring kids into this world and have to deal with that stuff on purpose

I don't like screaming and yelling, and knowing that kids just do that and it's normal doesn't really make me want them more, lol

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

if it weren't for hormones filling new parents with love and protective instincts, the human race wouldn't have got far.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Elizabethan Error posted:

if it weren't for hormones filling new parents with love and protective instincts, the human race wouldn't have got far.

:same:

I'm very thankful my parents had these or I would have been abandoned in a coal mine before I was 5.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
These art-snobs really annoy me. I like certain posh books too, but it's because they interested me, and I don't use it to try to lift myself above anyone or to be pretentious (I hated Great Expectations, most boring loving thing...) - I just had a lot of weekends at work that I spend reading Then Count of Monte Cristo, which is my favourite classic work because it's loving awesome. Past a certain amount of setup that gets fairly dry and political at first, it then hits it's stride with Edmond Dantes' return as the titular character and everything just starts happening. It took me a month to get to that part, then I was ploughing through the rest like it was Harry Potter, because "OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON... NO CADEROUSSE YOU IDIOT he was going to forgive you, but now you're on his poo poo list.... :ohdear:"

I hate people who try to use stuff as props because the works deserve better, and if you actually cared about them you wouldn't care that they are difficult. I discussed Monte Cristo like it was a TV show because that's how I felt reading it - all this ludicrous drama building and building and me being all "Have you read this? It's loving great, long but worth it! Takes a few chapters(episodes :v:) of setup but it really hits it's stride!"

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Aug 1, 2017

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Elizabethan Error posted:

Speaking as a father of 2: pretty much. Kids are cute because we don't mind if their cries attract predators in the night when they're cute.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Well I think this one definitely happened

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

the idea that not only do people buy mentos, but so many buy them that they litter the city.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

BobbyK posted:

Well I think this one definitely happened

Do you think he cried or nah?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

the idea that not only do people buy mentos, but so many buy them that they litter the city.

And that people just randomly pick up and save half-finished rolls of Mentos they found on a table.

And that a half-consumed non-diet Coke would have enough carbon dioxide left in it to explode when exposed to Mentos.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

a can would splash everywhere and not work right with the mentos, and a bottle wouldn't really go boom that easily

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

my favorite line is "(I think she picked up on my being genderqueer and instinctively trusted me?)"

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Drunk Tomato posted:

Thread title

PYF > shit_that_didnt_happen.txt: i can't eat ice cream without hiding in a locked off room

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Nth Doctor posted:

Speaking as a father of 2: pretty much. Kids are cute because we don't mind if their cries attract predators in the night when they're cute.

We both wanted kids. God knew better than to grant that wish.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I have never seen mentos just sitting around anywhere so that to me is the least plausible idea in that story, how convenient that this person just had everything on hand to make this happen like a SJW MacGuyver

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I had a Mentos once.

It wasn't that great.

I have no plans on buying any.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
There's a mentos in a single wrapper thing on the stairs at my client's unit. It was there for a week I think, it might still be there right now because no one wants to pick up some grody ground plastic.

That was my mentos story, thanks for reading.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
i love mentos, if i buy a tube of them it will be gone within 20 mins and then the sweetener gives me gurglebottom

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I've noticed the few of my friends who are more into the childfree stuff as time goes on also happen to have families who are big on the "You're like 26 and aren't married and have no kids, what in the world are you doing!!" thing, so I can kind of understand how that turns into utter resentment for children.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my parents accepted our rats as their grandchildren and that's good because that's all they're gonna get :colbert:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mentos: The Bomb Maker

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Magna Kaser posted:

I've noticed the few of my friends who are more into the childfree stuff as time goes on also happen to have families who are big on the "You're like 26 and aren't married and have no kids, what in the world are you doing!!" thing, so I can kind of understand how that turns into utter resentment for children.

I gamed the system by having a kid at 20, so now my parents tell my sisters "uh, take your time".

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Haifisch posted:

Never forget.

I randomly sent this to a coworker a couple of weeks ago and she loving loved it.

I can't find any too hilarious stdh on there right now but there's a post about how Target is the best place... except when there's children there. So they need to start renting out noise cancelling headphones. A super popular, huge store chain has children in it?! The audacity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender