Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also picked up the starter packs to SWD but holy sgt it is next to impossible to find booster packs still. Why keep it so constrained?

That said, anyone play tabletop simulator version and wanna teach me ? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

I also picked up the starter packs to SWD but holy sgt it is next to impossible to find booster packs still. Why keep it so constrained?

I think I remember seeing a SWD thread, dunno how much help you'll get here since it's a more traditional randomized pack ccg. Or cdg. Whatever.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yep, there's a thread.
Game is fun but product shortages are doing crazy things to prices.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

yeah there's a separate thread for it, albeit not very active

constraint isn't intentional, they're just struggling to match their die manufacturing to demand, for what it's worth it's been getting better
I'm a little concerned it's too little too late though, for every person I see just starting the game, someone else is quitting and selling all their poo poo
my LGS at least has been on an upswing though, getting ~25 people a week for regular play

I've barely spent any time with TTS myself yet, but I've got it & I'm game to give it a go

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah I foudn the other thread, seems like theres been constraint since the beggining; thats unfortunate. The dice and cards are so cool looking!!

If you ever wanna try out a game i'll just use the starter deck because i don't really know what im doing, add me on steam BostonCollegeFan

thanks for the help everyone

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

yeah I foudn the other thread, seems like theres been constraint since the beggining; thats unfortunate. The dice and cards are so cool looking!!

If you ever wanna try out a game i'll just use the starter deck because i don't really know what im doing, add me on steam BostonCollegeFan

thanks for the help everyone

I love this game and always happy to play with new folks. Couldn't find you on Steam but feel free to add me @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/T7inga/ (or anyone else)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ill add you when I get home

just realized I bought the arkham horror board game instead of the LCG :suicide:

don't I feel dumb. Guess I should be glad I got it for like $44 only

LordNat
May 16, 2009
Phoenix Clan Preview is up:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/26/keepers-of-harmony/

Even more Ring interplay than Dragon Clan. Will be interesting to see Dragon VS Phoenix matches.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Arkham Horror LCG question:
We are very slowly playing through the campaigns and are just about finished with the last scenario in the core box. I've picked up Dunwich Legacy and the rest of the expansions associated with Dunwich so we can play through at our leisure. My question is for upgrading character decks and using character cards should I only use new cards from expansions as we play that scenario or can I safely pile all the "player cards" together to use for deck building and upgrading as we go? Am I going to break the game if the player cards from the "Blood on the Altar" mythos pack are available when we play the base Dunwich Legacy scenarios?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

As long as you start at level zero cards for a campaign you will be fine.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Bruxism posted:

Am I going to break the game if the player cards from the "Blood on the Altar" mythos pack are available when we play the base Dunwich Legacy scenarios?
Nope, this is explicitly endorsed by the rules.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Much like LotR though, it is fun to play the scenarios in a progression manner first, using only cards that were available at their release. Then go back and play again and again as new cards come out. Playing through the old content with hobbit decks was a lot of fun, but using a limited card pool to beat it first was more interesting IMO.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

LordNat posted:

Phoenix Clan Preview is up:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/7/26/keepers-of-harmony/

Even more Ring interplay than Dragon Clan. Will be interesting to see Dragon VS Phoenix matches.

Now this is my jam: ring and honor manipulation along with balanced mil/pol values. Looks like Phoenix will have to adapt to, and play around, whatever their opponent's game plan is rather than having a single focus of their own. Love the champ's ability too.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In LOtr lcg, if you reveal a action card in the stage but it isn't a active location With no active location either , do you damage the quest?

Hope that makes sense lol

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

In LOtr lcg, if you reveal a action card in the stage but it isn't a active location With no active location either , do you damage the quest?

Hope that makes sense lol

I don't follow your question.

Are you asking if cards that tell you to place progress on the active location allows you to place them on the quest instead if you don't have an active location? The answer is no. (example, Lorien Guide) http://ringsdb.com/card/01044

Here's what I also think you're asking:
You do not have an active location, and your staging area is currently empty. During the quest phase, you are questing with a total willpower of 5 and revealing a single encounter card from the encounter deck.
A location is revealed from the encounter deck and placed into the staging area, with a total threat of 3. Subtracting 3 from the 5 willpower, you have a total net progress of two. You'd place that directly on the quest, NOT on the just-revealed location (because it's just in the staging area, it's not the active location).
There are only a handful of effects that allow you to place progress on locations within the staging area instead of the active location or the quest. The only one I knew offhand was Northern Tracker (what a great card)
http://ringsdb.com/card/01045
And the others I found in a search.
http://ringsdb.com/card/17034
http://ringsdb.com/card/11011
http://ringsdb.com/card/12062

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that second part was what I was asking hah. Thanks for the help.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually -
I've been playing LOTr lcg core set and went to this site that reddit posts that recommended I also buy black riders and dead marshes but I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to incorporate or attack these "expansions". Do I just incorporate them into the core sets to deck build?

Thanks all

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jul 29, 2017

LordNat
May 16, 2009
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/l5r-lcg/

FFG is going all out for L5R Organized play. Titles you can win, prizes for beating titled players, special cards you can grant to your clan, etc.
Super happy to see them keeping the wacky player centered feel of L5R's competitive play.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

LordNat posted:

FFG is going all out for L5R Organized play. Titles you can win, prizes for beating titled players, special cards you can grant to your clan, etc.
Super happy to see them keeping the wacky player centered feel of L5R's competitive play.

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

edit: IDK if I like the keeper/seeker thing, it usually turns out that one choice is way better than the others. I guess having access to the entire card pool and being able to switch up what clan you're playing whenever you want will mitigate that.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 1, 2017

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

edit: IDK if I like the keeper/seeker thing, it usually turns out that one choice is way better than the others. I guess having access to the entire card pool and being able to switch up what clan you're playing whenever you want will mitigate that.

They are very similar it looks like, with their effects just triggering off of a specific ring after combat for Keepers and a tiny deck building difference for seekers. Does not look like it will be too powerful, but who knows.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

It will end up having big effects on clan's power in the meta IMO. If say Crab ends up being Keepers of Air then Honor decks might be harder to play. Seeker seems like the weaker role in the core set tho.
I have a feeling all the Keeper roles will be snatched up fairly quick.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Good to see they'll hit organized play running after the slow burnout of ANR.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

:argh: Why do competitive LCGs always look so fun and interesting? I never have the time to play them competitively and no one ever seems to play casually at local groups I've gone to for other games.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

LordNat posted:

quote:

The Banzai chant at the start of each Kotei Series main event is lead by all Hatamotos who have come to prove their superiority!

Edit: on a different note, being able to dictate to some degree how people build a faction's deck if you crush worlds with them is a sweet prize.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 1, 2017

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I, uh, wow, those are some really powerful deckbuilding effects. :stare:

Do not underestimate the importance of 3 extra influence. It will likely enable entire archetypes that wouldn't function otherwise.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That looks really cool. I hope it takes off. Seems like a loving nightmare to balance though, especially considering it's FFG.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Going to post the direct effects for people who don't want to click through looking for them:

quote:

The Keeper roles increase the influence value from your clan stronghold by three, allowing you to include more out-of-clan cards when building your decks. During the game, after you win a challenge using the ring of the role's element as the defender, you gain one fate.
The Seeker roles allow you to include two provinces which share their element with the role in your set of five provinces, replacing another element's province. Then, when one of your provinces with that element is revealed during the game, you gain one fate.

I do think one thing keeping the bonus influence a bit under control is the restriction that your out-of-clan cards all have to come from one other specific clan.

Having said that it's still probably gonna be stronger than Seeker until the card pool expands, because right now it SEEMS like the province's elements don't really matter much at all? Unless I'm missing something, since attacker declares ring, it feels like the only thing province element does is serve as an arbitrary tag that prohibits certain pairs of provinces from being in the same deck. But with the starting card pool, how much is that even going to come up...?

Maybe there will just naturally be more "Seeker Only" cards or something. And Keeper gives you a lot of deck-building options, BUT on the margins ("I could always run any 6 of the 9 out of clan cards I'm using, but now I get to have the impact of having all 9 of these cards out of clan"), while Seeker just gives you access to cards and pairs of cards that are impossible for non-Seekers.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I think the Hatamoto thing is pretty interesting. I wonder how much that will deter the competitive players from bandwagoning the popular deck.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I know very little about the L5R ccg, but weren't there two more big clans? Mantis and something else (Spider maybe?) Is this another Necrons/Tyranid situation?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Azran posted:

I know very little about the L5R ccg, but weren't there two more big clans? Mantis and something else (Spider maybe?) Is this another Necrons/Tyranid situation?

Mantis and Spider came about later. This jumped back in time from where the story was before AEG sold it to FFG. So right now Mantis has not been formed and Spider is still the shadowlands. We will probably get decks for them (in one form or another, if not Spider then it as shadow lands, and if not Mantis maybe it will appear as Yoritomo's Alliance) eventually.

Yoritomo (founder of Mantis) gets mentioned briefly in the stories FFG has released as a Pirate.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Oh right, different time period. Forgot about that. At the same time, I guess 7 factions already cover all possible archetypes so it's not like one is hurting for variety, but I suppose they won't leave the fans of those two clans hanging.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Azran posted:

If we are going off the CCG it is also missing Naga, Spirit, Nezumi, Ninja, Shadowlands, and Monks. The mostly just rolled it back to the classic major clans for the setting reset.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I would expect to see Mantis and Shadowlands, but nothing more than that as dedicated factions. 9 factions would only leave 2 slots for neutral cards per pack, and 10 wouldn't leave any.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

I would expect to see Mantis and Shadowlands, but nothing more than that as dedicated factions. 9 factions would only leave 2 slots for neutral cards per pack, and 10 wouldn't leave any.

I can see them ending up like Micro Factions in Netrunner where they get 1-2 cards mixed into each cycle.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Azran posted:

L5R ccg actually had a few clans/offshoots that were "main" for awhile (in that they got full starters and support in some sets) but eventually were retired or went away. At the end Mantis and Spider were the other big clans. As was mentioned, at this point in the story Mantis nor Spider were formed (Shadowlands became Spider Clan, but they're still somewhat different).

LordNat posted:

If we are going off the CCG it is also missing Naga, Spirit, Nezumi, Ninja, Shadowlands, and Monks. The mostly just rolled it back to the classic major clans for the setting reset.

Spirit and Monk only got 1 stronghold each, iirc (and Spirit stronghold was banned in all formats I think). I think Ninja got 2, but haven't been their own house in forever I thought. Naga were put to sleep (which I think happened to the rats too, but I can't recall). There was also Totori's Army/Wolf (which was one of my favs actually, they were really powerful). Monks got kinda rolled into Dragon and Ninjas into Scorpion anyways (not counting the Goju stuff which is kinda goofy anyways).

I'd love to see them, but I don't see most of them getting actual faction cards. Also, with how the stronghold abilities seem so toned down and the game being so much more simplified, I'm not even sure if there would be that much difference if you did introduce them.

I'm honestly interested to see how they do Shadowlands (assuming they do), since I doubt they'll do the whole no-honor thing. Most likely just a bunch of big beaters, I'm guessing. Maybe a bit cheaper and/or with negative side effects for their size a la old Oni no Akuma/Ugon.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

May try to get into LO5R. Things are looking pretty cool.

Actually -
I've been playing LOTr lcg core set and went to this site that reddit posts that recommended I also buy black riders and dead marshes but I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to incorporate or attack these "expansions". Do I just incorporate them into the core sets to deck build?

Thanks all
Yeah, so not sure what you're asking, but there are player cards encounter cards in both of those products. The player cards for the most part can just be added to your current selection of player cards and you can slot them into your decks however you want (i.e. make an all hobbit 3 sphere deck, or put Samwise into a deck with Aaragorn and Theodred to make a leadership/purple deck). Of note, the black riders included Frodo and a few other player cards in the fellowship sphere (with a ring logo). Those can only be used when you are doing the actual Saga quests in black riders or any of the follow ups).

The encounter cards vary. The hobbit decks will make 3 different encounter decks for 3 different quests. The dead marshes will get combined with encounter cards from the core set to make an entire encounter deck.

Hope that helped.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Are there any "learn to play L5R" videos out yet?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It did thanks Fritzler

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

always be closing posted:

Are there any "learn to play L5R" videos out yet?

This one is pretty good.

I really like the look of the pacing of the game. The idea that you are building around small pushes, rather than building a board state that you plan to persist through the course of the whole game, is a very interesting concept and seems like it will make games very different from game to game. I'm in favor of seeing a game that isn't build around powerful board wipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm taking a dive even though I didn't care much for the gameplay. I'm hoping further expansions improve upon it even though I'm not too hopeful.

I just love everything about the game so much, outside of the game :(. The competitive play aspect sounds amazing, I've liked the story portions they've released so far, and the cards themselves are really nice to look at.