Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm halfway through TAZ, but I can't believe the taco plotline is being addressed.

E: gently caress me this is the best episode of the entire podcast

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Keep your heart, three stacks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's a 75% chance the finale is going to be nice.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Holy fuckin' poo poo dude. That ruled.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah this poo poo is hype as hell.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Only halfway through, it's great so far.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
30 seconds into Awful Squad, already got a "gently caress you, Russ"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
What a weak finale, I only cried like 5 times.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Awful Squad.

CHRIS PLANTE: Have you guys ever wondered why there's not a "kiss" button in more games?

NICK ROBINSON: Yeah me and Griffin have a whole podcast about that

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

That episode of TAZ was amazing, it's all coming together.

Loved all the call backs, especially the weapnized Zone of Truth.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

That was a real real good episode.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Holy poo poo lol

https://twitter.com/justinmcelroy/status/892472655160512512

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

if I don't see some quality Titus Taako fan art come from this tweet it'll have been the greatest waste yet

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The narrator reveal is really, really loving good

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Keep your heart, three stacks

Man I miss the original intro and outro music.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also I'm only about an hour in but holy poo poo is this TAZ finale worth the wait.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

So, I'll start with the bad.

Obviously, this episode was pretty light on goofs. It was also light on interactions between the three player characters. Those are always good, so not having them is a bit of a bummer. I thought Noelle's death was a bit abrupt. Carey and Killian were tearing up during a time when I think they probably should still have been asking her what the hell she thought she was doing. I also found the thing that happened between Taako and the kid from the plane of thought confusing. I think when the kid taught Taako how to make tacos, that formed a bond between them, and somehow, Istus charged up that bond with power that flowed into the both of them? Also, minor gripe, but when they were splitting up into two teams at the end, they all forgot about Avi. Poor Avi.

Now onto the good.

THIS EPISODE WAS FANTASTIC. Oh my god, it was so badass, it was like if you turned an electric guitar riff into a podcast. For every goof that was not there, there was an amazing fist pump moment. God, I just can't get over the moment when both food trucks exploded and the hypest part of the best TAZ song, Wonderland Round 3, kicked in. I kept hitting the "rewind 15 seconds" button on my podcast app just to listen to that moment over and over. I hit that button quite a few times actually. "No dogs on the moon!" "I cast zone of truth!" It's Upsy, Your Lifting Friend. Then, of course, there's the ending. The stuff I already mentioned was badass, but that ending and the music that went along with it made me feel like a badass. Like, yeah! Let's do this! We're gonna win!

There was also an unexpected amount of sweet moments. Taako being who he is, I wasn't expecting him to just run straight over to Kravitz and kiss him. It also made me very happy that he was shown in the prophecy. I wonder about Angus sometimes. I can't help bu speculate that his home situation planetside might have been less than stellar. I mean, he did move pretty much as far from home as he could possibly move, and he's ever once mentioned parents or caretakers other than BOB members. I worry about that sweet boy, which is why I was so delighted to hear about him in Magnus' care? maybe?

Speaking of that, I do have a spooky question. In the prophecy, we see the potentially happy fates of Taako, Lup, Magnus, Angus, Merle (and Mavis and Mookie), Carey, Killian, and Lucretia. What about Barry and Captain Davenport? Where's their happy ending?

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

The narrator reveal is really, really loving good

I didn't get it until I read your post and relistened. Ooooh.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good Awful Squad. They win a zombie round, despite Russ getting his indoor sunscreen in his eye and being blinded for the last 5 minutes

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Help me out here, what's the narrator reveal?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

PostNouveau posted:

Good Awful Squad. They win a zombie round, despite Russ getting his indoor sunscreen in his eye and being blinded for the last 5 minutes
Some good Justin tunes at the end there too. I was struggling not to laugh out loud at work when the last zombie was leaping around avoiding all of them.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Drunkboxer posted:

Man I miss the original intro and outro music.

I 100% do not miss the first ever outro music which was about five minutes of "HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO BREAK TO THIS" at approximately 400x volume of the rest of the episode though

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Help me out here, what's the narrator reveal?

At the end of the episode, the narrator who appears at the start of every episode jumps back in and informs us that he has told us everything he knows, and now all that's left is to see what happens next. Now, the Voidfish says, we're ready.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Ariong posted:

At the end of the episode, the narrator who appears at the start of every episode jumps back in and informs us that he has told us everything he knows, and now all that's left is to see what happens next. Now, the Voidfish says, we're ready.

I didn't interpret it as being the voidfish. I thought it was meant to be Johann

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

I didn't interpret it as being the voidfish. I thought it was meant to be Johann

Hmm, I'm not sure. I figured that the podcast was actually Fisher and his kid blasting out the story that we've been hearing to all realities, including ours.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Ariong posted:

I wonder about Angus sometimes. I can't help bu speculate that his home situation planetside might have been less than stellar. I mean, he did move pretty much as far from home as he could possibly move, and he's ever once mentioned parents or caretakers other than BOB members.

He's got a grandpa at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjempOw51mQ

edit: I haven't actually listened to TAZ in quite a while, I just remembered laughing at that bit, so sorry if something has happened since then that makes that no longer a real thing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

This is the answer.

Also Ariong can still be right, since it's a difference without a distinction, really. But, yes, the narrator's voice is meant to be that, even if its being broadcast via a different medium.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 1, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hargrimm posted:

He's got a grandpa at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjempOw51mQ

edit: I haven't actually listened to TAZ in quite a while, I just remembered laughing at that bit, so sorry if something has happened since then that makes that no longer a real thing.

I'm still hoping that Grandpa is just a very sweet old lich/vampire/whatever that genuinely is a nice mentor to his nerd rear end grandson.

Also goddamn in the related videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhVhswG8fs

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

PostNouveau posted:

I love how Russ has fixated on the complaints about his inventory management and categorically ignored those criticising his tendency to do everything he can to be a mile away from anything interesting that happens in the stream

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

CainsDescendant posted:

I love how Russ has fixated on the complaints about his inventory management and categorically ignored those criticising his tendency to do everything he can to be a mile away from anything interesting that happens in the stream

To be fair, that's not really something he can control. I don't expect him to drop what he's doing and run several houses over for the tail-end of something marginally interesting.

And PUBG's spectator mode seems glitchy/incomplete. It clearly frustrates him.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I've only watched the first custom games episode so far but jumping from player to player looks like the most incredibly annoying system in the world so I don't blame him for having trouble with that either

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

dmboogie posted:

I've only watched the first custom games episode so far but jumping from player to player looks like the most incredibly annoying system in the world so I don't blame him for having trouble with that either

But what if he were to, like, practice it? Or come up with some other way to capture the action better? It's the fact that it's still not better since the first time that kind of gets to me.

There was a particularly bad moment in the first match today where everyone on stream was screaming at some wild poo poo going down while the stream just stares at Russ's dead body. It's a real bummer.

butt hort
May 6, 2007
i awake covered in snot dreamt i swallowed my teeth and tried to cough them up

timp posted:

But what if he were to, like, practice it? Or come up with some other way to capture the action better? It's the fact that it's still not better since the first time that kind of gets to me.

There was a particularly bad moment in the first match today where everyone on stream was screaming at some wild poo poo going down while the stream just stares at Russ's dead body. It's a real bummer.

If you were watching, you'd know that the game glitched and didn't give him the option to even spectate. He had to leave and rejoin the match in order to spectate everyone else.

You guys sure as hell are allowed to dislike Russ, but blaming him for technical issues beyond his control and expecting him cover every interesting moment is just dumb and old tbh. It seems the only solution you'd would be happy with is having everyone streaming at the exact same time so you can not miss out on any action, but that's hardly feasible or interesting to dig through for all the juicy bits. Plus the UI for spectating private games looks like hell to manage.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Latest TAZ might be the first time I've listened to a podcast so satisfying that it ruined the rest of my plans for the evening. Golly.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Russ is the worst. You know who would improve Awful Squad about tenfold? New York Giraffe, that's who.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

That was a loving good episode of TAZ.

I wasn't expecting Griffin to retcon (?) Sloane and Hurley into being dryads now, so that's actually the bit that got me to tear up. I also really liked Jon wanting to stop but the Hunger not letting him, like, he sparked all this, but he was only in control as long as he agreed with what the Hunger wanted. As soon as something happens to upset that, he realizes what a vulnerable position he's in, and that's definitely interesting, character-wise. Like, even narratively I'm pretty suspicious of him convincing every single person (including children) from his home planar system to go on a nihilistic rampage across reality. I don't exactly think he's lying, but that also sounds literally impossible without some sort of compulsion magic juiced up to 12. Which means either he did something or something else did something through him. I don't know if Griffin is going to go into that but I'd be interested.

I hope they do something sci-fi or superheroic next. I really like the whole Balance campaign, but I'm enjoying it ending.

EDIT: Like you know what I've been unable to get small children to agree on? Giving up a kid's blanket and taking an identical blanket lying on the floor instead of literally rolling around on the floor gripping a blanket and screaming in their best friend's face because each one wants that specific blanket the most. I think the sort of complex philosophy Jon was peddling is a bit over their heads.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 2, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

All these dead characters returning and not Boyland gently caress this garbage show t:mad:

psyche it owned

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I enjoyed the army of Tom Bodetts

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

PetraCore posted:

That was a loving good episode of TAZ.

I wasn't expecting Griffin to retcon (?) Sloane and Hurley into being dryads now, so that's actually the bit that got me to tear up.

I interpreted that as a "Pan is back and he's helping" kinda deal, personally

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

sexpig by night posted:

if I don't see some quality Titus Taako fan art come from this tweet it'll have been the greatest waste yet

https://twitter.com/crispy_ghee/status/892515615252008962

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I'm likin' all the epic callbacks but man I hope a new campaign means Griffin won't be splitting up the THB so much. There's less goofs than before and thats fine, but I feel like since the stolen century and before there's been a tendency for Griffin to take the players aside one by one to engage in Character Development, and that leads to less really funny moments because the other guys dont want to blab over it. But then when the gang is in the same room you get those good good jokes that i crave, like the "and then Merle goes over to Angus" nonsense near the end.