Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Replace the red zone with a randomly dropped t-rex that persists for the rest of the match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
Anyone else getting DayZ flashbacks with Playerunknown going on holiday for a "few months"?

After all the recent publicity I assume this guy has little self awareness.

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 1, 2017

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Someone mod the ARK dinosaurs into the game, including berries and defecation

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

nachos posted:

Replace the red zone with a randomly dropped t-rex that persists for the rest of the match

I suggested earlier that there be like a 1/10 chance an air drop crate breaks open to release a velociraptor.

I wasn't kidding.
:colbert:

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Hockles posted:

I'm a big fan of #1

His mistake was using the scythe instead of the machete, as I'm sure you know.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

TracerBullet posted:

So dumb question time - just upgraded from 8 to 16 GB of RAM. My graphics card is not great (750M) so I've got everything pretty much at minimum, including screen scale, but I do see an improvement in 'smoothness' and playability after making the upgrade. What would be the first graphic tweaks I should start to push up with the added RAM I've installed?

The nVidia specific settings in this guide have helped many: http://www.144hzmonitors.com/games/best-settings-for-pubg-playerunknowns-battlegrounds/

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

HppyCmpr posted:

Anyone else getting DayZ flashbacks with Playerunknown going on holiday for a "few months"?

I don't know anything about DayZ but if my pet project sold a bajillion copies and pushed my bank balance through the roof like a Looney Tunes rocket ship I'd go on vacation as soon as humanly possible and never look back.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

HppyCmpr posted:

The game has sold 4 million copies and made over 100 million dollars, and it hasn't even hit consoles yet. It's not going anywhere anytime soon, even after release. Why would he stop working on it all of a sudden and why would the company let him go given how successful they have been with his involvement?

As for the paid chests. If that means everyone gets future content for free, I am all for it. Otherwise you split your user base even further with dlc content.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm still standing by turning AA up to ultra if you're cpu-bound - it doubled framerate for me on my 2009 cpu + modernish gpu killer combo.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm still standing by turning AA up to ultra if you're cpu-bound - it doubled framerate for me on my 2009 cpu + modernish gpu killer combo.

Anecdotal, but I had similar gains in a lot of games before I built a new machine at the end of last year. Was running on a ~2009 i5-750 CPU and a more modern RX480.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

HppyCmpr posted:

I don't think he even said vacation - he just said traveling a bunch. Could be for trade shows and major cons, Gamescom and PAX are coming up fast and within a week or two of each other, and they're both soul-crushing.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

"Should we head out? Blues gonna be closing soon"
"Nah it's good I found a car"
*2 minutes pass*

Pleads posted:

*peels out in car, hits pixel-sized rock, rolls into ditch*

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Someone is working on a calendar to keep track of all this, right?

(http://i53.tinypic.com/r73yps.png)

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
From the last update he said he was going to be travelling extensively, are people assuming this is vacation? Could have sworn I read a couple days ago about him talking about starting a fairly aggressive convention circut. There are quite a few events coming up as far as cons. Gamescom, Twitchcon and PAX Prime off the top of my head.

Efb

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

There's no shortage of cool ideas like this one. You could do different time periods as well. Medieval britain dotted with castles with horses to ride. Ancient roman city, maybe even with chariots. Modern Manhattan, with traffic. Fuckin' Hoth for all I care. The overarching mechanics of the game are strong enough to fit a pretty broad set of ideas.

Yeah this is basically an entirely new genre that's clearly hot. I expect to see a LOT of copycats in the future.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Soarer posted:

From the last update he said he was going to be travelling extensively, are people assuming this is vacation? Could have sworn I read a couple days ago about him talking about starting a fairly aggressive convention circut. There are quite a few events coming up as far as cons. Gamescom, Twitchcon and PAX Prime off the top of my head.

Efb

At this point, I think the community has kinda turned on PU so they just assume the worst in all circumstances.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

From a developer's perspective that may as well be vacation. Obviously it's important for their business, and maybe we'll see some custom exhibitions or something, but yeah he ain't exactly gonna oversee development much on the road whether he wants to or not.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
If my game went as buckwild as PUBG did in the short amount of time that it did I'd take a fuckin break too

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, you talk to any game dev and conventions are basically the same as vacati- hahahaha

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Draxion posted:

I don't think he even said vacation - he just said traveling a bunch. Could be for trade shows and major cons, Gamescom and PAX are coming up fast and within a week or two of each other, and they're both soul-crushing.

Yeah true. Good point, could be for trade shows. Did not think of that.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

At this point, I think the community has kinda turned on PU so they just assume the worst in all circumstances.

If you're wondering why I'm concerned about a highly popular EA game stalling because the lead developer is starting to travel then I'll just assume you never played DayZ; which is understandable as I don't think it ever hit this level of mass popularity.

It's less to do with PU himself and more that the situation mirrors what Rocket did with Dayz in a sense. The game was at the peak of popularity and he took a step back and everything just stalled from there.

I hope it doesn't impact it, and I didn't even think about having to visit tradeshows.

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 1, 2017

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my boss was playing yesterday and this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r8QstYZebI&t=21s

I love dumb poo poo like this so much.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

odiv posted:

Yeah, you talk to any game dev and conventions are basically the same as vacati- hahahaha

I remember the year that PAX and GDC overlapped and a bunch of devs took off the better part of a decade off their lifespans so that they could swing both.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I don't understand why anyone with computer-touching skills would ever want to get into games professionally.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

odiv posted:

Oh sorry - I phrased that poorly. They are the same as vacations in the amount of meaningful development work that gets done. They aren't vacations at all.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What's the deal with the test server? According to PC Gamer, if you want to try the new patch you can just install the test server client and play it, but it keeps telling me I don't have the right version. Don't see anyway to update using Steam, are they not running the patch on the test server now or something?

e: https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/892354413498515457

Found the answer myself in like 2.3 seconds.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

What's the deal with the test server? According to PC Gamer, if you want to try the new patch you can just install the test server client and play it, but it keeps telling me I don't have the right version. Don't see anyway to update using Steam, are they not running the patch on the test server now or something?

https://twitter.com/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/status/892354413498515457

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

I don't understand why anyone with computer-touching skills would ever want to get into games professionally.

You develop Minecraft/PUBG/Stardew Valley and then retire.

But yeah, as a computer toucher I have zero desire to ever work in the games industry. The military/aerospace industry I do development in is a lot more forgiving than gamers.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I got my first chicken dinner in a duo game tonight. 5 kills so nothing worthy of a compilation but I did take out the last duo on my own whilst having to rush their cover. It was intense and my last few shots were fired more towards them than at them but they all count the same. It was the last game of the night too after a couple of absolute catastrophes.

Does it really matter if PU goes on "holiday" or whatever? I assume he does very little from a technical aspect given that he's not a very good coder so whilst they try to sort out first person servers and the new maps/animations/cosmetics etc he can go and dance for his money at some conventions or whatever.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

My thumbnail is ready, but is my rear end ready to sit around all night?

Also, I put up another highlight vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQygaKc0C90

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

VulgarandStupid posted:

My thumbnail is ready, but is my rear end ready to sit around all night?

Also, I put up another highlight vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQygaKc0C90

Good vid my sweet boy, did you have a silenced AWM and a silenced Groza in the same game at one point?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hamelekim posted:

As for the paid chests. If that means everyone gets future content for free, I am all for it. Otherwise you split your user base even further with dlc content.

orrr you just keep producing content because you made insane money selling the game itself??

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Tfw you get an 8x silenced kar, a silenced groza, lv3 helm & vest and you DON'T choke or get bullshit from 1000m away and end up getting one last dinner before the monthly patch.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Groovelord Neato posted:

orrr you just keep producing content because you made insane money selling the game itself??

Doesn't capitalism suck? You don't give it away for free. Someone always plays a price.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that isn't giving it away for free!!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
lmao that a game with GTA sales numbers in early access with one map would be "giving it away for free." People paid thirty dollars for one loving map, it's okay to be a little annoyed that microtransactions are going to be implemented before the game is completed.

And it's hilarious that they're hiding behind "well these things have to be tested too." You know how you do that? You give people keys and make sure they work before you start charging them.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my boss was playing yesterday and this happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r8QstYZebI&t=21s

This sort of stuff makes the game crank to 11.

Best one I've run into was a dude using an autotuner on his voice and then straight up singing about the poo poo he was doing.
Like chasing me through school with a shotgun, singing about how he'll gently caress the holes in my corpse.
11/10 would live nightmare again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no game that you buy should have microtransactions. you get to do that if your game is free like dota 2. gently caress blizzard. gently caress these guys.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Pleads posted:

I don't know anything about DayZ but if my pet project sold a bajillion copies and pushed my bank balance through the roof like a Looney Tunes rocket ship I'd go on vacation as soon as humanly possible and never look back.

That's what concerns DayZ players. I get DayZ flashbacks when I'm running for kilometers on end trying to beat the blue line... Man Day Z was fun af when you managed to encounter other people.

Also, why the hate on microtransactions? Most of the cosmetic gear in this game is stupid as gently caress and probably will continue to be. Why would I want my babe to look like a school girl? So you can loving see me from miles away while you're crouching in a bush? I guess if you can buy better camouflage it'll be a problem and have a certain "pay to win" aspect. But did you see the twitch prime clothes? gently caress man... what a nasty stupid ugly loving thing.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

RizieN posted:

That's what concerns DayZ players. I get DayZ flashbacks when I'm running for kilometers on end trying to beat the blue line... Man Day Z was fun af when you managed to encounter other people.

Also, why the hate on microtransactions? Most of the cosmetic gear in this game is stupid as gently caress and probably will continue to be. Why would I want my babe to look like a school girl? So you can loving see me from miles away while you're crouching in a bush? I guess if you can buy better camouflage it'll be a problem and have a certain "pay to win" aspect. But did you see the twitch prime clothes? gently caress man... what a nasty stupid ugly loving thing.

Hey man I love my Barbie Dress-up Murder Simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RizieN posted:

in apb i made my guy a hard gay cop and i'd like to relive that magic.

• Locked thread