Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Why wouldn't wsj make the full transcript available

the wsj is owned by rupert murdoch and maintains a reputation that is slightly more respectable than the new york post only because it is targeted at rich people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Spaced God posted:

This will not happen.

25% of people would still support the President if he bit a chunk out of a baby and then raped the hole.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/Edsall/status/892488455325966337

remind me, were there sitting democratic us senators and us representatives writing articles about how the democratic party was poo poo 6 months into obama's first term

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

evilweasel posted:

remind me, were there sitting democratic us senators and us representatives writing articles about how the democratic party was poo poo 6 months into obama's first term
The Republican Party is dead when they lose the majority in Congress, lose the Presidency, lose the Courts, and don't control most of the States. Until then, they are alive and well and destroying everything.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Sure there is a range.

But I think most of that range could be summed up with, the US soundly stomping the NK military, removing Kim's supporters, and then botching everything afterwards until what goodwill the US had is gone.

Besides, I think Chinese ICBM operators have cooler heads than that. The US is all over East Asia doing war games with China's neighbors, and we haven't accidentally nuked watch other yet.

I'll give you a few points for blindly having faith in the US having the greatest military in the world...BUT, assuming we could crater the NK forces into oblivion in short order is exactly the kind of thing being said in the WH right now and it is ABSOLUTELY the wrong approach to take. Rather than detail all the many ways an invasion of NK could go horribly wrong I'll just throw down a quote and leave it alone.

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Crows Turn Off posted:

The Republican Party is dead when they lose the majority in Congress, lose the Presidency, lose the Courts, and don't control most of the States. Until then, they are alive and well and destroying everything.

This was written by a Republican and he's saying that the GOP has abandoned their values and become a shambolic undead monstrosity. Whether he's doing that because he's genuine or because they're being rude while ruining the lives of poors and minorities is up to you

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

The party itself can be dead and people can also be using its corpse as a tribal flag to gain more power for themselves. But really, do you think the RNC has any power over any Republican anymore?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Crows Turn Off posted:

that is written by a sitting republican congressman

it's not interesting in what it says, just that in this week alone both a senator and a congressman from the republican party have felt compelled to write articles about how their garbage party for idiots is terrible but please don't lose faith in their garbage ideology for idiots

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't think you understand what I linked there. It's not about putting voters on the inactive list. It's about cancelling their registration when they don't take steps to get off the inactive list. People who don't vote for several years and then fail to address their inactive status have their registration cancelled by the state.

quote:

Each of the 591,548 voters affected by the move had already been on the state’s “inactive” registration list.

Somehow my brain hiccuped directly over this line. Hurfdurf.

e- And in my defense, what I linked just proves that this is a shitshow the whole way down.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Duke Igthorn posted:

Jesus Christ how loving sheltered can a 70 year old international businessman BE? Every day there's some quote of Trump saying "Nobody (read: "I") had any idea about _________ until I was told." Nobody knew that healthcare was hard, no one knew diplomacy was hard, no one knew Lincoln was a Republican, no one knew countries have lots of people in them, no one knew politics was so hard and no one knew the Earth revolves around the sun. Every single day trump reveals his actual vast depth of ignorance AND HE'S 70 loving YEARS OLD. Jesus Christ the ONLY thing Trump seems to know is how to be a tyrant. Christ it's infuriating.

Again, I would have LOVED to have been able to ask Candidate Trump what the President's actual job is, the answer would have been equal parts hilarious, incorrect, and anger inducing. Mainly because he would have had no idea, made that VERY clear, and STILL won.

The guy practically has like 1 or 2 lines he keeps using over and over regardless of the context of the scenario in question or reality. It's truly amazing that enough people went for this to give him the electoral college and still says a lot about America to me. I actually think Pelosi sort of had it down, but in terms of "the line" it's to brag about how he won the election and how that validates every single thing he does followed by something about Hillary Clinton or Obama whenever he thinks people are being unfair to him somehow and then some mention of how he gets tons done even though hiring and firing people every week is all but literally just spinning your wheels. Don't forget to pepper the speech or interview with random attacks on the media, you can even see the wheels slowly turning in his head like when he did the scouts speech. It's like, "Oh yeah I have to remember to mention the media and how bad they are, I'm talking about something else entirely right now but as soon as I finish this sentence I'll work it into the next one". It's IMO a large part of the reason he's so incoherent and rambly.

This does seem to work at rallying his base sadly. He could just be pre-recorded at this point and they just put up effigies of Donald Trump at his rallies with the recording playing over whatever sound system they set up and it'd still probably have the same effect on them. No joke if he's still around even in 2020 running for re-election I'm sure it'll be the exact same line. Whoever he's running against he'll just call Hillary Clinton.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

evilweasel posted:

"The Republican Party is dead because we can't enact our cruel and evil policies!"

Sigh. At least Flake acknowledged that he and the party were responsible for truthers and their own inability to govern.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

25% of people would still support the President if he bit a chunk out of a baby and then raped the hole.

It'ssss awwwright!!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It would be more accurate to say that the Republican party has a terminal illness. It's a bit over a year until the reckoning and they're going to wield their power as hard as they can until the moment it's taken away.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/892405255593480193

I... I think we missed something big :stare:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

evilweasel posted:

It's pretty obvious that the Republican Party still represents its voters' values. Those values have just changed in a way that make Rep. Buck personally uncomfortable. He doesn't get to declare what his party is supposed to represent when the overwhelming majority of its voters feel otherwise.

KickerOfMice posted:

Somehow my brain hiccuped directly over this line. Hurfdurf.

e- And in my defense, what I linked just proves that this is a shitshow the whole way down.

Yeah, as you said, it's all intended to be as confusing as possible.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

haveblue posted:

Helms is one of the more infamously terrible people in 20th century US history, yes.

Lmao Was that post by Infratael?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Is anyone even remotely surprised that Trump will tank the insurance markets out of spite just because he can say he took point on something when Congress couldn't pass their lovely tax break bill and get his validation? It's like the Paris Accord thing, why is he keeping people in suspense when everybody already knows what he's going to do based on how predictably petty and all about him he is. Like gently caress their are absolute monarchists in the world right now that aren't this self centered and do more for their countries people let alone someone that is supposed to be President of a Republic.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

It would be more accurate to say that the Republican party has a terminal illness. It's a bit over a year until the reckoning and they're going to wield their power as hard as they can until the moment it's taken away.

i find it interesting that members of congress seem to be realizing that they may not actually even get the benefit of their faustian bargain this early

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BrianBoitano posted:

Holy poo poo. Are we certain this wasn't a 5th grader giving a presentation in Social Studies class about a topic he forgot to study?

Trump Thread II: a 5th grader giving a presentation in Social Studies class about a topic he forgot to study

Kale
May 14, 2010

Senate apparently confirmed Wray about 5 minutes ago btw. Wonder how long he lasts. Will wait to see what he does first before making any predictions. The fact that is was 92-5 confirms he has bipartisan support so maybe that'll piss Trump off that the Democrats supported him too and he'll get all paranoid thinking he's a deep state planet he got tricked into nominating in a few weeks.

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 1, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kale posted:

Is anyone even remotely surprised that Trump will tank the insurance markets out of spite just because he can say he took point on something when Congress couldn't pass their lovely tax break bill and get his validation? It's like the Paris Accord thing, why is he keeping people in suspense when everybody already knows what he's going to do based on how predictably petty and all about him he is. Like gently caress their are absolute monarchists in the world right now that aren't this self centered and do more for their countries people let alone someone that is supposed to be President of a Republic.

the suspense isn't that trump wants to do it its that his party is actually begging him not to do it and not so quietly telling him they're going to reverse him if he does

nobody thinks that the interests of the american people are at issue in his thinking

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Crows Turn Off posted:

They Live

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I actually just watched that movie last night!

Kale
May 14, 2010

evilweasel posted:

the suspense isn't that trump wants to do it its that his party is actually begging him not to do it and not so quietly telling him they're going to reverse him if he does

nobody thinks that the interests of the american people are at issue in his thinking

I sure as gently caress hope not at this point cause literally when has that ever once been a thing in the past 6 months.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

evilweasel posted:

i find it interesting that members of congress seem to be realizing that they may not actually even get the benefit of their faustian bargain this early

To be fair, it's not actually that early. We're not that far off from the point where serious campaigning for the midterms is going to begin, so I'm sure a lot of Republicans were hoping to be making real progress on their legislative agenda by now. Apparently none of them read the "endless scandals from day one" fine print on the contract.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Looks like we have our first blood sacrifice to the 2020 primary.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/892442069553250304

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Soooo... what the gently caress.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/892495477379391490

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

More time for naps.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007
no lube anal fan

haveblue posted:

Helms is one of the more infamously terrible people in 20th century US history, yes.

This is forever one of my favorite quotes and I can only hope something equally as scathing is penned following the turtle's final withdrawal into his shell.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Looks like we have our first blood sacrifice to the 2020 primary.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/892442069553250304

He's a former Bain Capital exec. gently caress him.
https://twitter.com/the_real_rotor/status/892492174536785924

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Paradoxish posted:

To be fair, it's not actually that early. We're not that far off from the point where serious campaigning for the midterms is going to begin, so I'm sure a lot of Republicans were hoping to be making real progress on their legislative agenda by now. Apparently none of them read the "endless scandals from day one" fine print on the contract.

Much like most of trumps fine print, it's actually covering most of the paper in Jeff Session's sized font.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Lightning Lord posted:

This was written by a Republican and he's saying that the GOP has abandoned their values and become a shambolic undead monstrosity. Whether he's doing that because he's genuine or because they're being rude while ruining the lives of poors and minorities is up to you

No, Buck's entire complaint is that the party isn't doing *enough* to ruin the lives of poors and minorities. He's not mad about the values, he's mad that they're struggling to follow through on them.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

What's what the gently caress worthy about it?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

So that's:

Gillibrand
Markey
Merkley
Warren
Wyden

who can now be confirmed to be running for POTUS

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Varam posted:

No, Buck's entire complaint is that the party isn't doing *enough* to ruin the lives of poors and minorities. He's not mad about the values, he's mad that they're struggling to follow through on them.

He doesn't even mention Trump. He didn't write this editorial in good faith.

awesmoe posted:

How come the Dems didn't stop it!!!! <- not sincere.

Giggy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 1, 2017

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Just an FYI, these jets are not actually owned by Transaero or the remnants thereof, they were built and never delivered and are owned by Boeing Capital. Though they may have been originally ordered by Transareo, they never held the planes. They've been sitting as white tails for some time now looking for customers to pick them up. Unfortunately, nobody is buying 747-8s these days, and what will possibly be the last passenger 747-8I just rolled off the line for Korean Air.

Even if they did make new-build 747-8s to replace the existing VC-25s, they would be the same as these white tails because all of the modifications to turn them into VC-25 replacements are done by a completely separate group to a completed airframe. That's what was done with the previous 707s and 747s, and will be done with the new jet as well.

It's just a funny coincidence that they used to be Transareo planes, but this is pretty much a Boeing Capital guy going "Look, let's unload these frames we have sitting around versus building two new jets." It would be no different if Lufthansa or Korean decided to pick them up.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Retro42 posted:

I'll give you a few points for blindly having faith in the US having the greatest military in the world...BUT, assuming we could crater the NK forces into oblivion in short order is exactly the kind of thing being said in the WH right now and it is ABSOLUTELY the wrong approach to take. Rather than detail all the many ways an invasion of NK could go horribly wrong I'll just throw down a quote and leave it alone.

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it."

It isn't blind Faith. The US has a proven track record of destroying cities and toppling governments.

The whole thing will go horribly wrong. But it is inevitable at this point.

What other realistic options are there? China convinces the Kim family to go into retirement? A coup by NK generals that is both quickly successful and not made up of hardliners? A popular uprising?

Kale
May 14, 2010

awesmoe posted:

I was wondering the same thing. This isn't some random rear end appointment by Trump this time. He was recommended by the Senate Judiciary Committee, worked under Bush and even Comey at one point and is basically the senates own pick. Of course he was getting confirmed. It's also why I think he won't last terribly long because if there's anything Trump hates in the long run it's somebody else making the decision for him and him being seen as the guy that just went along with it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

awesmoe posted:

Only five Democrats voted against Trump's hand-picked FBI replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
The schadenfreude at watching that histrionically awful man lose his rich man tax cut is really overshadowed by the fact that his lawyer gave a simple answer to a simple question which was in line with reality. I'd forgotten how nice it is to not have to deal with aggrssively delusional people.

Society has become venomous to understanding and peace of mind. Knowledge relieves tension, and these people are not merely ignorant. Their dishonesty is active and damaging to public knowledge. They offer no relief, like a serial television show that never develops, they attack the ability to be at peace.

It is always, continuously baffling and painful to keep track of them. That is by design. They have the hateful, aggressive attitude of hellraisers. Thoreau was right, and even Pinhead was more right than this. He found that moment of grace from having experienced the manner of war these infants fantasize over.

• Locked thread