Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

2000 dollars is more money than i currently have total lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Serf posted:

2000 dollars is a fuckin fortune

are you kidding me

oh come on, that's barely anything at all if you earn a dece six figgies

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Serf posted:

2000 dollars is a fuckin fortune

are you kidding me

Or a year in jail.

More Harris just wants more free plantation slave labor for Dread Abuela?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

2000 dollars is like half of what my net worth was in 2015 lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Iron Twinkie posted:

Jesus you don't event need to do much digging to find Harris is a repulsive piece of poo poo.

http://www.colorlines.com/articles/california-parents-could-get-jail-time-if-kids-miss-school

Yeah nothing helps troubled kids like throwing their parents in jail.

*looks at problem*

"oh, i got this!"

*writes problem verbatim into 'solution' field*

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i think we mostly agree here so

quote:

About 51 percent of the tax revenue was allocated toward educational purposes, including $117.9 million used to fund school construction projects, while another 14.1 percent went towards substance abuse prevention and treatment programs, the report said.

is a net good in my eyes. would it be better if this funding wasn't due to a high sales tax on a non-addictive substance? yeah definitely, maybe once colorado springs is destroyed and we rip up TABOR we can fund better education edirectly

Serf
May 5, 2011

so either you go to jail, leaving your kid under the care of ??? or you have to cough up 2000 dollars which will then affect their meals, school supplies, medical care etc

all because your lovely car from 15 years ago broke down a few times or whatever

gently caress this

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its a good thing i dont have kids and i have 2000 dollars. phew, really dodged a bullet there.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

ex post facho posted:

dems: here's this real lovely status quo candidate who thinks everything's mostly great already

*loses election*

dems, looking in the mirror: we gotta get more status quoeyer

I guess it's easier to believe it was all a fluke

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
its much easier to believe it was all russia

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Iron Twinkie posted:

Jesus you don't event need to do much digging to find Harris is a repulsive piece of poo poo.

http://www.colorlines.com/articles/california-parents-could-get-jail-time-if-kids-miss-school

Hell yeah let's fine parents of truants more than we fine OSHA violaters. Not like they're making any jobs.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

ex post facho posted:

its much easier to believe it was all russia

That's part of it being a fluke. I think there's varying degrees of believing how much Russia tilted the scale

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

https://twitter.com/ironghazi/status/892422474226442242

yeah, and i have no faith that booker actually wants legal weed because 1) lol not with this fed legislature, and 2) fuckin block grantin' it up all over the place will surely mean that the states that don't have a reason not to make weed legal will turn down the chance to legally shake down brown people and college kids or decide that keeping a ready source of compulsory labor for privately-managed prisons is actually lame and bad.

gently caress you, booker -- maybe propose that poo poo when dems retake control.

if you incompetent bunch of assholes ever decide to stop loving around and decide to actually put forth an effort to win.

he probably does want legal weed...

...because he's a libertarian who wants to deregulate loving everything

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ex post facho posted:

like i get how high cigarette and alcohol taxes are regressive bc they are addictive af and are consumed in much greater proportion by poor folks, is the same true of weed even though it definitely does not have the same physically addictive properties? i honestly dont know

i feel like weed is so commonly consumed across all demographics that it might suck that joe sixjoints can't buy an eighth for $20 and now needs to pay $30, but the net good of bolstering starving education system with weedbux outweighs most of those circumstances

It's not even what goods are taxed, it's that point of sale taxes are inherently regressive. A modest sales tax <10% isn't a huge problem, but a tax of say 50% point of sale targets poorer people much more then say a tax on production that is applied fairly with a progressive licensing scheme and other market regulations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Iron Twinkie posted:

quote:

Every subsequent offense led to more expensive tickets and more serious punishments. LA parents were warned that they could lose their public benefits if their students didn't show up to school on time, and the harsh policy has ended up creating truants instead of curbing truancy.

BAHAHAHAHAHA :suicide:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's not even what goods are taxed, it's that point of sale taxes are inherently regressive. A modest sales tax <10% isn't a huge problem, but a tax of say 50% point of sale targets poorer people much more then say a tax on production that is applied fairly with a progressive licensing scheme and other market regulations.

i think that's fair and taxes on weed should be re-worked as weed production becomes more and more industrialized, i guess i am at the very least happy that education is starting to get at least some small pittance of funding from it

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

note that the trend in legalization has been towards lower tax rates- Colorado is ~28%, Washington 37% (and they love regressive tax structures), while Oregon is only 17%-20% (and apparently has the cheapest legal weed in the country at the start of 2017) and California/Nevada are supposedly starting at 15% and Maine/Massachusetts 10% (whenever they get around to it)

LGD has issued a correction as of 22:54 on Aug 1, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Local coastal bad dem discovers one weird trick to increase the slave labor supply

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LGD posted:

note that the trend in legalization has been towards lower tax rates- Colorado is ~28%, Washington 37% (and they love regressive tax structures), while Oregon is only 17%-20% (and apparently has the cheapest legal weed in the country at the start of 2017) and California/Nevada are supposedly starting at 15% and Maine/Massachusetts 10% (whenever they get around to it)

I thought Oregon was super bad because there was also a flat sales "fee" on top of a sales tax. i.e. if you buy a 5$ joint you pay like 5$ plus 20% tax (effectively a 100%+ tax), whereas if you bought a full ounce, you'd pay 200+5$ + 20% for about a 22% tax.

Maybe I'm wrong though or thinking about a different state.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

I thought Oregon was super bad because there was also a flat sales "fee" on top of a sales tax. i.e. if you buy a 5$ joint you pay like 5$ plus 20% tax (effectively a 100%+ tax), whereas if you bought a full ounce, you'd pay 200+5$ + 20% for about a 22% tax.

might be washington

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

is the state incentivizing me to get get high af sounds good

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

you're wrong- there was some talk about using a structure ~somewhat~ like that originally, but they ultimately went with a flat 17% excise tax (with municipalities able to impose another 3%) because it was going to be much easier to administer

Alaska does have a flat $50/oz tax (but no percentage based tax) and that summary I posted is leaving out California's cultivation tax for flowers and leaves ($9.25 and $2.75/oz respectively)

note that in all cases it's been a flat fee based on weight rather than per product though

also I think Colorado's tax rate just went down 2% in July

e: and ultimately I think for most people the convenience, safety, quality, consistency, and variety of the legal market definitely make it worth the small premium

LGD has issued a correction as of 23:13 on Aug 1, 2017

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a moment of silence for the end of a source of amusement:

https://twitter.com/Jon4Vermont/status/892450680174243840

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

who?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

:lol:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the man who will take down dumbie slanders

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

creepy old gently caress who posted pictures of crocheted cocksocks on his facebook and complained about ladyboys in the girls' bathrooms. he also thought he could primary sanders.

i know, right?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I thought after all the smug posts CC posted he would have been able to run a longer Bernie hating campaign.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

what if we just fine them 5% of their quarterly profits?

I'm pretty sure this is actually considerably more draconian than what they're usually currently fined.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://twitter.com/joeprince___/status/885631979395350532

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/PantsStatusZero/status/885652385732980736

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

lol that he has already changed his Twitter name and av to "Hillary 2020"

for a second I was like "why is Hillary announcing this," then I was like "oh"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

me wife's an Autism Expert

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

calling her an oreo is more offensive than that

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Al! posted:

me wife's an Autism Expert

Suck Zone: Me wife's an Autism Expert

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Al! posted:

calling her an oreo is more offensive than that

I liked the story how the late Gaddafi was obsessed with Condoleezza Rice

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

etalian posted:

I thought after all the smug posts CC posted he would have been able to run a longer Bernie hating campaign.

dude's like cassandra in that nobody listens to him (except dem leadership, because he found a group of suckers willing to pay him), only the sooths he says are wrong 100% of the time.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
i literally never posted about that guy?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man, you know who i really feel bad for in this? sally albright. usually a dem consultant waits until the general election before a campaign falls apart.

man, she couldn't even get svitavsky's campaign to the primary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
oh wait sorry, i did post once about him

Concerned Citizen posted:

i'm glad everyone is working very hard to take down random crazy guy running against bernie

another victory against a mentally ill rando

• Locked thread