Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zeal posted:

Jesus, how are you wrong about loving everything

I should probably should have bothered to google that before I posted it tbh lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

jBrereton posted:

???

(this is just AD guys)

- Rashidun Caliphate
- Turks
- Seljuqs
- Khwarezmids
- Georgians
- Mongols
- Timurids
- Kurds & Azerbaijanis
- Russians
- Rando tribal guys (like The Shah who was forced to abdicate by:)
- British + Russians

People have been taking chunks out of Iran/Persia or totally changing who's in charge since forever. It's just a normal place that's not an island.

Islands get invaded all the time too. Had someone tell me today that Britain hadn't been invaded since the Normans and had to explain to them that was not quite accurate

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
alexander the great isn't so great he died

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

radical meme posted:

It's kind of weird that we don't because you'd think the Gulf would demand multiple naval bases; especially with the issues that exist in Central America and the northern part of South America.
yeah the Sandinistas are gonna block the Port Arthur Refinery lol

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

radical meme posted:

It's kind of weird that we don't because you'd think the Gulf would demand multiple naval bases; especially with the issues that exist in Central America and the northern part of South America.

Venom Snake posted:

Yeah going to solve drug crime and corruption in south/central america with a carrier group and some missile subs
Naval Station Mayport (Jacksonville) is the closet big naval base. In Florida but not on the Gulf.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

Islands get invaded all the time too. Had someone tell me today that Britain hadn't been invaded since the Normans and had to explain to them that was not quite accurate

the last british invasion was only like 50 years ago

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Venom Snake posted:

Texas talks big game but they don't have a large naval base like Cali nor do they have ICBMs. Only lots of tanks. Sad!

also between cali and washington you have a poo poo load of military air craft production and design

and southern cali alone has a major base for every fighting branch along with one of the only two seal team bases

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ekster posted:

i like how people talk about afghanistan as if it ever was a real country with some measure of central governance
One of the most important things I learned in college is that it's taken for granted that the modern idea of the nation-state is good for everyone but ehh not so much.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

It isn't quite accurate but the only forced overseas regime change that happened after that was during the 1680s.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Joementum posted:

japan had a good run for a while

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Joementum posted:

normal brain: platinum coin

exploding brain: giant stone coin

galaxy brain: use the coin to pay for the wall, which is, itself, the coin

"rapexicans stealing our wall!!!"

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Venom Snake posted:

Yeah going to solve drug crime and corruption in south/central america with a carrier group and some missile subs

Not likely but, given that Florida might actually be gone in a few decades they might want to consider some alternative naval bases.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

radical meme posted:

Not likely but, given that Florida might actually be gone in a few decades they might want to consider some alternative naval bases.

Navy bases flaot

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

That DICK! posted:

more like Alexander the Not So Great

hey :mad:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Evil_Greven posted:

There was an interesting Radio Lab story about a Russian fox breeding program. Foxes that were afraid of humans did not breed, but friendly foxes did.

What ended up happening was aggressiveness bred out; this appears to coincide with adrenaline deficiencies.

Curiously, this led to markedly different changes - these foxes developed floppy ears, and a more delicate appearance. One theory as to what happened is the foxes remain, essentially, kits - adolescents.

A similar thought is that this applies to all domesticated animals - dogs being just puppies.

this is called neoteny. axolotls are neotenous salamanders and pigs are neotenous boars

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Venom Snake posted:

I should probably should have bothered to google that before I posted it tbh lol

maybe you're just a loving moron

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

jBrereton posted:

Is isn't quite accurate but the only forced overseas regime change that happened after that was during the 1680s.

that's the only time it was successful, true, but there were plenty of other attempts which held land for times

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

jBrereton posted:

???

(this is just AD guys)

- Rashidun Caliphate
- Turks
- Seljuqs
- Khwarezmids
- Georgians
- Mongols
- Timurids
- Kurds & Azerbaijanis
- Russians
- Rando tribal guys (like The Shah who was forced to abdicate by:)
- British + Russians

People have been taking chunks out of Iran/Persia or totally changing who's in charge since forever. It's just a normal place that's not an island.

I'm actually curious about what you think the major deterrent other than pure military power thats stopping us from invading Iran because Iv always been told geography was a big issue

radical meme posted:

Admiral Ray posted:

Navy bases flaot

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

They're spending 500k per job at the very least, and then giving them 200 million a year just straight up in addition to exempting them from all regulations and infrastructure maintenance

They're literally building this factory for them AND paying their employees lol

And a lot of the jobs are going to go to people living in Illinois. Thanks Walker!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Cut the Army to ribbons.

Abolish the Air Force.

Navy is cool. Marines are also fine b/c they can't do anything without the Navy.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zeal posted:

I don't understand your hatred for me but I accept it and recognize you probably have a good reason for it

peeonwe
Mar 3, 2010

by zen death robot
what if tha military had to have bake sale 2 buy a bomber instead of schools having bake sales 4 basic equipment?

ever think bout that?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Cut the Army to ribbons.

Abolish the Air Force.

Navy is cool. Marines are also fine b/c they can't do anything without the Navy.
the navy's army has its own navy and air force

peeonwe
Mar 3, 2010

by zen death robot

zeal posted:

ur posting has a lot of ZEAL! lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Admiral Ray posted:

Navy bases flaot

good luck getting water trucks through the mutant encampments in the murderglades though

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Replicas of the Nina and Pinta are sailing the Great Lakes this summer. Native Americans are protesting.

https://twitter.com/JoBatton/status/892495059521818624

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Ash1138 posted:

the navy's army has its own navy and air force

lol its true

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

peeonwe posted:

what if tha military had to have bake sale 2 buy a bomber instead of schools having bake sales 4 basic equipment?

ever think bout that?

C-SPAM is asking the questions America is afraid to answer.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Venom Snake posted:

I'm actually curious about what you think the major deterrent other than pure military power thats stopping us from invading Iran because Iv always been told geography was a big issue
I wouldn't be surprised by that.

My bro posted this video in the bad Trump thread and it's an hour long so lmao it's worth watching though. "We could've won the Vietnam War if we invaded North Vietnam" actually no, there weren't enough ports and infrastructure to sustain the U.S. military in the North; let alone wage a counter-insurgency in the South at the same time.

And that was the U.S. military's assessment at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOjLrUsE6IU

People like to compare gizmos and numbers when there's a lot of plain ol' physical obstacles in the way of doing things.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"it was only a country after a man drew a line on a piece of paper, checkmate"

peeonwe
Mar 3, 2010

by zen death robot

"illegals" r pretty good at forcing themselves into murica so :thunk: on that

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
My friend is doing a betting pool on the next three members of the administration to leave.

I don't have to make my picks till Friday, so a lot could happen between now and then, but I'm thinking Tillerson, Sessions, Rosenstein.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

we love making GBS threads on trump's wall around here but china has a bigly one and i haven't seen a mongolian raid in quite some time

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Replicas of the Nina and Pinta are sailing the Great Lakes this summer. Native Americans are protesting.

https://twitter.com/JoBatton/status/892495059521818624

ain't got no flag then u ain't got no country

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/TeenVogue/status/892505297280958467

peeonwe
Mar 3, 2010

by zen death robot
also lol @ ppl who say FALSE and then sum stuff lik do they not kno thats just makin me imagine dwight shrute saying ur tweet?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

it's certainly a way to solve the problem

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

that's the only time it was successful, true, but there were plenty of other attempts which held land for times
Off the top of my head there's what the dutch for like an hour during the third anglo-dutch war and then some guys in bristol for a day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

you can't do drugs if you're dead, checkmate crime

• Locked thread