Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

fsif posted:

You're probably right, but then I don't understand why they didn't put up at least token resistance or why they gave out five hall passes.

Because it's actually okay to vote in line with Republicans when they're voting for something good, and I say this as someone who's all for going total scorched Earth on garbage Republican legislation. It only makes sense to obstruct literally everything if the party was calling for Trump's resignation and insisting that his administration is illegitimate, which no one is actually doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://mobile.twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/892503836639801344

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fsif posted:

You're probably right, but then I don't understand why they didn't put up at least token resistance or why they gave out five hall passes.

I doubt those are hall passes. I would expect either they're people who agree that anyone Trump nominates besides Comey should be opposed on principle, and/or who are running for President and figured it'd help (a lot of the Yes votes are also running for President though).

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

awesmoe posted:

You're saying you dont want them to vote against every potential fbi director, just the ones nominated by the president. that's...I hope you can see the problem there.

anyway, why vote against when he picks someone broadly acceptable?

Because it's bad optics, I guess.

I think you're probably right and evilweasel listing off the names connected to the post makes me think I probably bought a line intended to fool Trump when he was described as "hand-picked".

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Looks like we have our first blood sacrifice to the 2020 primary.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/892442069553250304

This guy doesn't seem tall enough.

Kale
May 14, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

for someone obsessed with how propaganda causes people to become completely out of touch with reality, you sure do uncritically accept propaganda when it's something you want to believe.

cherry-picked statements of defectors might have a reason to present facts at a particular slant, you know. I'm not saying any nonsense about Best Korea but the fact you don't even talk about the influence of the generals over Jong Un makes your ignorance readily apparent. This and your statements on Russia scream that you are using a system that kind of describes America well to spout off about any country in a completely ahistorical manner. Stick to your own thread, and your own country.

The person you're replying to is using meme macros centered around anime fan memes and block quotes which says it all right there. You might as well just as soon tell them to stick to twitter or 4chan in this instance. I'm not entirely convinced this person would even know or care about what Juche ideology even is.

Also indeed how does that not in large part describe Trump and the direction America is headed in right now as well?

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 1, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

fsif posted:

what response would have looked less strange or more useful

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Kale posted:

I was wondering the same thing. This isn't some random rear end appointment by Trump this time. He was recommended by the Senate Judiciary Committee, worked under Bush and even Comey at one point and is basically the senates own pick. Of course he was getting confirmed. It's also why I think he won't last terribly long because if there's anything Trump hates in the long run it's somebody else making the decision for him and him being seen as the guy that just went along with it.

awesmoe posted:

You're saying you dont want them to vote against every potential fbi director, just the ones nominated by the president. that's...I hope you can see the problem there.

anyway, why vote against when he picks someone broadly acceptable?

eg
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/892501960460554241
This reminds me of the Mattis appointment, where the nominee is bi-partisanly acceptable and the only serious mark against the nominee is "Trump picked him".

To be fair, "Trump picked him" is something that should always be looked at very closely.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 1, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

A big flaming stink posted:

for someone obsessed with how propaganda causes people to become completely out of touch with reality, you sure do uncritically accept propaganda when it's something you want to believe.

cherry-picked statements of defectors might have a reason to present facts at a particular slant, you know. I'm not saying any nonsense about Best Korea but the fact you don't even talk about the influence of the generals over Jong Un makes your ignorance readily apparent. This and your statements on Russia scream that you are using a system that kind of describes America well to spout off about any country in a completely ahistorical manner. Stick to your own thread, and your own country.

I would genuinely read any citations you could provide that contradict my assertions about North Korea.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Beachcomber posted:

This guy doesn't seem tall enough.

I thought it was all about hand size?

Also does anyone feel that they are also looking to Gore to run in 2020 as well?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I told my mom that "Golf.com has Trump saying the White House is a dump" and she's laughing uncontrollably. Just thought you should know.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Saladin Rising posted:

This reminds me of the Mattis appointment, where the nominee is bi-partisanly acceptable and the only serious mark against the nominee is "Trump picked him".

Well if he doesn't fall in line with what Trump wants from him or tries to actually get Trump to listen to his briefings and advice on things that are actually important in the world or whatever he's not going to last particularly long in that office. It's just a proven fact at this point. Hell Trump isn't even necessarily fond of people that verbally fellate him at every opportunity for long. The only 100% safe positions in the White House and which serve at the pleasure of the president right now belong to Kushner and Ivanka.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

evilweasel posted:

40 senate democrats wouldn't have voted for him if they believed that's what he was going to do and i trust their ability to evaluate people better than i trust trump's

I didn't say Trump would be successful.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Prester Jane posted:

I would genuinely read any citations you could provide that contradict my assertions about North Korea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juche

Here. Read this. It worked well enough for them for a while until the collapse of the Soviet Union that kept up a semblance of some quality of life in North Korea. Then the poverty and famine started and then the aggression and Kim Jong Il ratcheting up the whole cult of personality thing significantly over his father and himself.

It's actually pretty complicated and involves a good century or so of the region being invaded by colonial interests, those interests being forced out and then being invaded again and split in half by other colonial interests and those interests pulling out and leaving them on their own as well about 25-30 years ago. Same poo poo that happened in Africa particularly the French governed Western regions when the European powers decided they were done with all this colonialism and building empires but gently caress it if they were gonna own it. Bunch of dictator strongmen and warlords fill the power vacuum....

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 1, 2017

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

And this contradicts my assertions about North Korea how specifically? Not being snarky, genuine question.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

they dont have the idiot fever for bolting internet to toasters, dishwashers, and vibrators like we do here in the west

A microcontroller can cost as low as 33 cents, a wifi module costs like a dollar and probably less if you are a chinese factory. Controlling something in software is simpler and cheaper than drilling a bunch of holes and running a bunch of wires to do some giant complicated control panel. Adding this thing to your dish washer costs more to the design than just letting it happen in software (and control panels already contain microcontrollers)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Prester Jane posted:

So I've noticed something odd happening over at /pol/ and The_Donald today. I've been observing (hate reading) both of those forums for some time and the amount of Russian bots/shills on both of them was always pretty blatant- until today. While some of the Russian bots/trolls blend in quite well there has never been a lack of easily spotted shills. However, today for whatever reason the Russian spambots seem to have been turned off on both sites and the moderation team on The_Donald seems to be nowhere near as quick to memory-hole any criticism of dear leader. As a result both forums have something vaguely resembling dissent starting to creep in and it is confusing the natives who have grown accustomed to Russian bots drowning

Both forums are presently screaming that they are under a massive and coordinated attack by Soros-shills and that this must mean they are getting close to something important. I wonder if this is Putin starting to follow through on some of his threats to Trump by pulling back the psyop support that has helped keep his base together?

I wonder if Reddit exposes usage statistics we can run some analysis on, and figure out if this is what's actually happening.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A microcontroller can cost as low as 33 cents, a wifi module costs like a dollar and probably less if you are a chinese factory. Controlling something in software is simpler and cheaper than drilling a bunch of holes and running a bunch of wires to do some giant complicated control panel. Adding this thing to your dish washer costs more to the design than just letting it happen in software (and control panels already contain microcontrollers)

thanks for the update weird technofetishist man but none of that makes uploading your vibrator usage and orgasm frequency to the cloud a good idea. the internet of things is loving stupid and so is anyone who approves of the internet of things

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
ahh another beautiful morning. better make some coffee and breakfast before work

*turns on coffee maker, firmware updates block usage for ten minutes*

*turns on toaster, display reads "u have been punked by -=cYbEr_g03Th_69=-"*

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

To be honest the new drafts sound a lot less imperialist to foreigners like me. The current one is basically "we're the world's police". Of course I know this is not done with good intentions (they probably want to significantly slash foreign aid). Looks more like another step down in America's ladder to the third world.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

ahh another beautiful morning. better make some coffee and breakfast before work

*turns on coffee maker, firmware updates block usage for ten minutes*

*turns on toaster, display reads "u have been punked by -=cYbEr_g03Th_69=-"*

I don't want to scare you too much but if you go and break open the toaster you own right now you will find out they already put a computer in it like 20 years ago.

Here is a 45 minute teardown of a black and decker 2 slice toaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdAvXNAdScs

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 1, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Prester Jane posted:

I don't think everyone in NK blankly completely accepts juche and the divinity of the Kims just on the face of that claim. Also, read the North Korean thread.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Saladin Rising posted:

To be fair, "Trump picked him" is something that should always be looked at very closely.

To be fair, Trump was told to pick him. I'm sure he has no real idea who that guy even is.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Prester Jane posted:

And this contradicts my assertions about North Korea how specifically? Not being snarky, genuine question.

As the other guy pointed out it's largely a matter of phrasing and what honestly looks like demonization of a population that hasn't really had a say in anything in decades and had to endure the indigity of occupation after occupation for years that practically allowed the Kim families Juche ideologies to have sway.

It's not just the Kim Family that are the reason for why things are the way they are in North Korea, Kim Il Sung actually had a plan for the country after WWII and the Japanese getting kicked out yet again, it just involved you know...the whole Soviet experiment not folding in on itself and an extreme form of patriotism and devotion to the Workers Party ideals. Then you had Kim Jong Il and I'm not saying Kim Il Sung sounded like this totally great individual or anything but the whole cult of personality thing really started ratcheting up with him much like the Soviet Unions deviation into Stalinism and his cult of personality and the famines that followed after Lenin. Unlike with Khruschev there isn't somebody to come along and say okay that was something but we need to go back to the original plan here, probably because there is no way back now since the whole thing relied on a strong centralized alliance of communist nations under the Soviet Union's banner.

Incidentally I wonder how the U.S gets back to the original plan here. It might just be as simple as getting Trump and the Tea Party types out of congress, or there might be a deeper rooted psychological at the root of Modern America that makes it inherently self destructive as I've suspected for much of the 21st century but only truly started believing some time around 2015. At the very least it looks a lot more self inflicted than the North Korean situation ever looked and to go back to the Soviet Union kind of comparable to the Bolshevik's thinking it'd be a great idea to make Stalin General Secretary in order for him to feel validated and appreciated by his comrades and so he'd quit bitching about it all. Like surely the paranoid big talker that gave himself the name "Man of Steel" and was already notorious at the time of his confirmation for having beefs with party people he figured might outshine him like Trotsky won't stab us all in the back and try to consolidate power or start purges or anything.

Kale fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 1, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

:smugdon:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/892513593413050368

:trumppop:

to my surprise, poop and fart are not emoticons

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pollyanna posted:

I wonder if Reddit exposes usage statistics we can run some analysis on, and figure out if this is what's actually happening.

That would be fascinating if possibe and could certainly shed light on whether this hunch is right or not. FWIW I went onto The_Donald to grab some screenshots:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Lord posted:

I don't think everyone in NK blankly completely accepts juche and the divinity of the Kims just on the face of that claim. Also, read the North Korean thread.

yeah, your average north korean is vaguely aware of the state of the world and how dysfunctional their government is. the NK status quo is slipping because it's easier to smuggle in media from other nations - even watching american films is only lightly punished because it's so widespread. same as how there's a growing black market that the government is powerless to stop

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

That would be fascinating if possibe and could certainly shed light on whether this hunch is right or not. FWIW I went onto The_Donald to grab some screenshots:

i found out today i am being audited again

but at least i am not these people

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

Oh information was released showing the president coordinated with fox to push fake news? OBVIOUSLY THIS PROVES THE FAKE NEWS CORRECT BECAUSE IF IT WASN'T CORRECT PEOPLE WOULDN'T TALK ABOUT IT

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kale posted:

I was wondering the same thing. This isn't some random rear end appointment by Trump this time. He was recommended by the Senate Judiciary Committee, worked under Bush and even Comey at one point and is basically the senates own pick. Of course he was getting confirmed. It's also why I think he won't last terribly long because if there's anything Trump hates in the long run it's somebody else making the decision for him and him being seen as the guy that just went along with it.

Wray is a GOP party hack. It's pure lunacy that Democrats bought into this pick by voting for this rear end in a top hat. Again, there is zero political or policy reason to vote for any Trumpist appointment to any office.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

skylined! posted:

"She is said to take an active role in the day-to-day management of the historic property, which she and her husband have owned since 1992. Prior to buying the historic hotel, Duane Roberts made a fortune by inventing the frozen burrito."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/892497170754097152

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

"She is said to take an active role in the day-to-day management of the historic property, which she and her husband have owned since 1992. Prior to buying the historic hotel, Duane Roberts made a fortune by inventing the frozen burrito."

melania is just excited someone is finally going to bring the majesty of super-cooled low-quality tex-mex to her homeland

it was posted already friend, on this page even

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

skylined! posted:

💩💨

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

Here's a start I guess:

http://redditmetrics.com/r/The_Donald

Notice the big spike right after the Don Jr. meeting in June 2016.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

The best part is : You're my Real group
Confirming he's a rich coastal elitist in his own words.
Not that the core base will listen but in another presidency that would be his 47% moment.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Nobody will care unless it's on video, like with Romney.

And to be honest nothing matters anymore.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

From a couple pages ago but:

"I mean, last night – last night it was amazing. I was at the — you know, I was in West Virginia doing certain things and making a speech to the Boy Scouts"

- Donald J. Trump, President of the United States of America

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

skylined! posted:

:eyepoop:

Also I just learned now that there is still no ambassador to Canada. Trump really doesnt like us for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Donald Trump, Apparently posted:

https://www.yelp.com
Hello, realDonaldTrump

Write a Review:

The White House *****
$$$$
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

Write your review: A real dump. Sad! 1 star.

• Locked thread