Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

The Eagles released Allen Barbe.

Except they didn't and instead he got traded to the Broncos for a conditional 7th round pick.

Feel the excitement of Howie Roseman's Lazy River!

So they got a lot more than they got for Dennis Kelly anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I think Philly might have a good pass rush this season.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JimmyKempski/status/890909471286988800

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W06CGS7Z_4s

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
There's so many differences between the two but for me most important is that Zaruba is an incredible long shot who I'm rooting for despite the odds and Watkins was someone I disliked from the moment they overdrafted him.

Here's some highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK92Il6gNTQ

takeaways: he will play in front of more people at Eagles training camp than appear in the stands in most of these clips, and international rugby players are a lot smaller than I would have guessed.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
So the Seahawks picked up Marcus Smith...

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Nick Foles: "LeSean McCoy came back here and kissed the Eagle. Trust me, I've thought about stepping back on this field for awhile."

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
https://twitter.com/phillyfreck215/status/891681369750994945

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
It seems like all the Eagles receivers are killing it in camp against the worst cornerbacks in the league.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Drafting an injured CB who is not going to have a rookie season was retarded.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sorry about your bad secondary.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Yeah there are instances of steel honing steel matchups in training camp that are battles of elites at their position in the NFL. Like odell Beckham vs janoris Jenkins. If someone dominates that then it's impressive.

But then across the field you have ereck flowers vs Kerry Wynn. Wet diaper gently being smushed against another wet diaper.

I feel pretty strongly about Nelson agholor vs any eagle Db being firmly in the latter camp.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

No it was brilliant. They got 1st round talent with a 2nd round pick. It's not like you can count on a healthy 2nd round CB as rookie. The Sidney Jones pick isn't making the Eagles CBs bad.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

Sorry about your bad secondary.

It's not going to matter because the Eagles are going to score 40+ points a game.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

NotWearingPants posted:

It's not going to matter because the Eagles are going to score 40+ points a game.

This is a great strategy. Then you can hear people blame your QB after the defense lets someone like payton manning drop 51 points to your 48.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

And hopefully 40+ sacks. Situation is frustrating. Eagles struck out at corner with draft picks, with big money free agents, and with bargain free agents. One thing we know for sure is Howie is not to blame.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is a great strategy. Then you can hear people blame your QB after the defense lets someone like payton manning drop 51 points to your 48.

Our QB hasnt developed a history of being a choking whiny bitch though :colbert:

yet :negative:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Are you familiar with "The Process"?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Philly secondary will survive due to the strength of the pass rush.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. While I agree that if all NFL players were put in a single draft pool, Carson Wentz would be the consensus #1 pick, it's only his second year. This is most likely not the year he wins his first of many Super Bowls. The Eagles addressed the positions that directly affect Wentz's development in WR and RB. Yeah, they have to wait a few months before their future #1 CB is ready to play, but their priorities are in order.

Also, whenever you think about how bad the Eagles CBs are, remember that the Cowboys just gave a 3 year 10 million deal to a cornerback the Eagles cut.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. While I agree that if all NFL players were put in a single draft pool, Carson Wentz would be the consensus #1 pick, it's only his second year. This is most likely not the year he wins his first of many Super Bowls.

Correct. This is the year we go 18-1.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

With Brady landing a ball in his receiver's facemask for a TD.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are you familiar with "The Process"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rlPfRYzJ3I

Trust it baby!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20199657/nfl-teams-likely-improve-decline-2017-season-bill-barnwell-pythagorean-expectation

Bill Barnwell posted:

4. Philadelphia Eagles (7-9)

Point differential: +36
Pythagorean expectation: 9.0 wins
Record in games decided by seven points or less: 1-8 (.111)
Strength of schedule: 0.544 (Toughest in the NFL)

No team has a better stat-nerd case for jumping into the postseason in 2017 than the Eagles. Advanced metrics suggest Doug Pederson's team was already playoff-caliber last season; the Eagles finished fourth in DVOA (just ahead of the Steelers) and had the sixth-best point differential in the NFC, which should have been enough to push them into a wild-card spot.

Instead, the Eagles became one of five teams in 2016 to post a losing record despite a positive point differential, which is a particularly weird feat because it hadn't happened once in the league across either of the previous two campaigns. Philadelphia's gap between expected wins and actual wins was the largest of those five, owing to that 1-8 record in games decided by a touchdown.

Carson Wentz & Co. had a serious shot at winning several of those games. They fumbled late with the lead while running out the clock against a Detroit team out of timeouts. They stalled in the red zone on their final drives against the Giants and Washington. Pederson chose to go for two after a late Wentz touchdown pass made it 28-27 against Baltimore and the Eagles didn't convert. They lost in overtime to the Cowboys when Dallas won the coin toss and scored a touchdown.
Philadelphia brought in wide receiver Alshon Jeffery on a one-year flier in March. Bill Streicher/USA TODAY Sports

Those are five good teams, and indeed, the Eagles also had a few impressive victories. They blew out the Steelers by 31 points in Week 3. Jim Schwartz's defense shut down the league's best offense in a 24-15 victory over the Falcons. And they beat a playoff-bound Giants team in Week 16, although their win over the Cowboys in Week 17 was over a group of backups.

Philadelphia started the season against a pair of cupcakes, Chicago and Cleveland, but its schedule from that point forward was brutally difficult. I have them with the league's toughest schedule, while Football Outsiders pegs them for No. 2. Either way, it was rough. FPI believes the Eagles' schedule will be right around the league average this season, which should be markedly easier.

The obvious place for general manager Howie Roseman to invest this offseason was at wide receiver, and the Eagles did just that. Buying low on Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith gives Philadelphia a pair of useful weapons who should have plenty of life in their legs. Suddenly, with Jeffery, Smith, Jordan Matthews, Zach Ertz and Darren Sproles, Wentz has several viable targets. Those guys will have to stay healthy, but Wentz might never have to throw a pass to Nelson Agholor again, and that alone should satisfy Eagles fans.

Many observers are expecting a breakout sophomore campaign from Wentz, who got out to a hot start before struggling mightily after Philadelphia's Week 4 bye. The rookie got into a distressing habit of sailing passes over the middle, leading to tipped reception attempts and easy picks. The new wideouts will help matters, if only because teams will actually be worried about Jeffery and Smith beating their cornerbacks if left one-on-one on the outside.
Right tackle Lane Johnson has proven to be an important piece of the Eagles' success. Bill Streicher/USA TODAY Sports

Another subtler factor will be the return of Lane Johnson, who missed 10 games after a PED suspension. Some of this owes to the quirks of scheduling, but Wentz was a totally different player with his star right tackle on the field. With Johnson up front, the rookie quarterback posted a 72.3 QBR and a 97.5 passer rating. While Johnson was sidelined, though, Wentz could muster only a 48.5 QBR and 70.2 passer rating. Having your best players on the field helps.

Comebacks: Wentz has gotten plenty of positive reviews for his performance as a rookie, but the numbers suggest he was pretty bad. Wentz finished with a 52.8 QBR, which was 26th in the league and below Brock Osweiler. His 5.1 ANY/A was 27th in the league, which nestled him between Blake Bortles and Case Keenum. Wentz's average pass traveled just 7.3 yards in the air, which ranked 26th. You can get a sense of his neighborhood as a rookie. I suspect Wentz will improve in his second season, but there's also a chance the numbers are right and Wentz is a fringe-average passer.

Furthermore, the NFC East is a tough place to make a living these days. Even if the Cowboys and Giants regress some, the East was the only division in the league to deliver four teams with a positive point differential last season.

I'd also be worried about how the Eagles match up against their rivals, given that they are as thin as any team in the league at cornerback. Philadelphia used a pair of mid-round picks on cornerbacks, but Sidney Jones is recovering from a torn Achilles and is really a selection for 2018 and beyond. The veteran trio of Jalen Mills, Patrick Robinson, and Ron Brooks will end up covering players like Dez Bryant, Odell Beckham Jr., and Terrelle Pryor this season. That's going to be a weekly mismatch.

18-1 is real.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

No one is running the table in the NFCE

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's possible. The other NFC East teams have no depth at QB and the Eagles defensive line might murder their starters.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those were pretty even headed and accurate reviews of the eagles

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

18-1

:colbert:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
The Eagles also had maybe the most hosed up schedule ever last year.

Week 4 Bye Week.

Then, they faced 3 teams fresh off their bye week 3 weeks in a row.

I just ordered $250 worth of Eagles merch for my birthday present.

18-1

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I wish I could have the pie-eyed optimism of eagles goons.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Mr. Nice! posted:

Most Philly goons know that the Eagles will never win a Superbowl

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think wentz may suck , the ol is risky, and the corner backs are going to get roasted

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

You all wish you were Eagles fans. This should really just be an Eagles thread, nobody really cares that much about the other teams.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

euphronius posted:

the ol is risky

I forgot about Jason Peters... he's got to be almost done

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Peters is 36...?

The other tackle is one positive test from a ban

The center sucked so much last year they brought it like 3 more centers

Right guard is ok but had social anxiety and missed games

Left guard is s sophomore

Could be good . Could be real bad .

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Eagles rule Wentz is the next Marino Cowboys suck Redskins suck Giants suck Woo!!!!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

89 posted:

The Eagles also had maybe the most hosed up schedule ever last year.

Week 4 Bye Week.

Then, they faced 3 teams fresh off their bye week 3 weeks in a row.

I just ordered $250 worth of Eagles merch for my birthday present.

18-1

YES! Congratulations on joining the 18-1 bandwagon!

:bandwagon:

Mr. Nice! posted:

This also comes with soul-crushing despair if things deviate even slightly from our insane dreams.

a new study bible! posted:

Most Philly goons know that the Eagles will never win a Superbowl

Also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Eagles CBs are not good, but their safeties are very good and their middle linebacker is awesome. They aren't just talented on the line.

• Locked thread