Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Burkion posted:

My favorite Batman manga is the one where it's pretty much just normal Batman who ends up going against the most Anime Batman to ever anime.

Short of sexualizing children anyways.

Wish I remembered what it was called

Regular Batman already has that covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Gotham Knight was some good anime Batman. Along with The Batman of Shanghai.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Wait....Nite Owl wasn't based on Batman? Maybe I just don't know enough about Blue Beetle but he seemed pretty batman based to me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Wait....Nite Owl wasn't based on Batman? Maybe I just don't know enough about Blue Beetle but he seemed pretty batman based to me.

There's shades of Batman to Nite Owl, but he's mostly Blue Beetle. All the Watchmen characters were originally going to Charleton Comics characters since DC had recently acquired them. But DC decided they had plans for them so Alan Moore had to change them up.

Ted Kord Blue Beetle is also a billionaire vigilante, but without the broodiness.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Niteowl also carries over the Legacy aspect of Ted Kord Blue Beetle, which isn't a thing with Batman until Terry gets involved.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BiggerBoat posted:

The owl motif makes him seem more Batman-ish because Blue Beetle's look is not dark or menacing or predatory.

You can also see the similarities in their flying ships, which are ships. Whereas the Batwing is usually a plane with only a cockpit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BiggerBoat posted:

Justice League Batman appears to be based upon Nite Owl, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shouldn't be surprising, given the director. And that comics have been ripping off Watchmen pretty much ever since it came out, and usually missing the point.

The Watchmen cast were originally Charlton Comics characters, but DC's editors wanted them different because they'd probably never be able to use them again after that. Nite Owl is Blue Beetle, Rorchach is The Question, I think Silk Spectre is Black Canary (though not sure on that) and Doctor Manhattan is Captain Atom. Obviously, they got changed a lot in the writing process. No idea who Ozymandias is. (Ironically enough, Ozymandias combines traits of Batman, Lex Luthor and Superman)

The owl motif is used as an opposition to Batman quite often, winged nocturnal predators and all that.

Of course, these days most people would think of Blue Beetle as a young hero with an alien scarab power suit he argues with. ...wait, isn't that Spider-Man now?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

We have a black batman.

I'm not sure where the character goes from here though?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
There's also Owlman in DC lore to extra complicate things for people doing cursory searches.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

The Watchmen cast were originally Charlton Comics characters, but DC's editors wanted them different because they'd probably never be able to use them again after that. Nite Owl is Blue Beetle, Rorchach is The Question, I think Silk Spectre is Black Canary (though not sure on that) and Doctor Manhattan is Captain Atom. Obviously, they got changed a lot in the writing process. No idea who Ozymandias is. (Ironically enough, Ozymandias combines traits of Batman, Lex Luthor and Superman)

I just looked up a Watchmen wiki and apparently Ozymandias is based on Thunderbolt.

Yeah I've got no idea who that is either. :shrug:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Inescapable Duck posted:

No idea who Ozymandias is. (Ironically enough, Ozymandias combines traits of Batman, Lex Luthor and Superman)

I've heard mention that Ozymandias was supposed to be a character called Thunderbolt.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ozymandias is based on Captain Atom.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ozymandias is based on Captain Atom.

That's Doctor Manhattan.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh. Right. I got them mixed up in my head.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's Captain Atoms all the way down

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Just remove the bottom Atom and the whole story collapses.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Timby posted:

Justice League Batman appears to be based upon Nite Owl, though.

"Know what would make Batman even cooler? Sunglasses."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Davros1 posted:

"Know what would make Batman even cooler? Sunglasses."

He's all about the darkness, man. Doesn't even wanna see the light.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Black Batman could also work well for Terry, if DC ever wants to do Beyond.

But then how would he be Bruce's secret s:commissar:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Ian McShane is playing Professor Broom in Neill Marshall's Hellboy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just looked up a Watchmen wiki and apparently Ozymandias is based on Thunderbolt.

Yeah I've got no idea who that is either. :shrug:

I always figured he was Booster Gold to Nite Owl's Blue Beetle.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

I always figured he was Booster Gold to Nite Owl's Blue Beetle.

Nah. Booster Gold didn't exist until after Crisis on Infinite Earths and Watchmen.

LesterGroans posted:

:getin:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nah. Booster Gold didn't exist until after Crisis on Infinite Earths and Watchmen.

:getin:

Hah, he works so well with Blue Beetle that I just assumed they were always a duo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

LesterGroans posted:

That's cool. John Hurt was great in the first one.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Working class black Batman would be a pretty interesting angle to take the character to new places. It definitely won't be done because you can easily predict the endless whining of "not my Batman", but its still fertile ground.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Schwarzwald posted:

Just remove the bottom Atom and the whole story collapses.

Pretty much Molecule Man's role in Secret Wars.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hodgepodge posted:

Hah, he works so well with Blue Beetle that I just assumed they were always a duo.

Blue Beetle started in Fox comics in 1939. The character name has been around almost as long as Batman. The Ted Kord Beetle was created in 1966 by Steve Ditko.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Deadpool 2 (also John Wick and Atomic Blonde) director David Leitch wants to have fun with Domino's probability-altering powers.

quote:

We're having fun with her power, because when you really distill it -- the laws of probability... So I think there's a lot of ways to go with it, and I think we have some really cool visual ideas of how we can demonstrate that. And then also there's the Deadpool tone of how you can be self-referential to all powers. So it's going to be fun.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

How do Domino's powers compare to Longshot's? Same deal?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Klungar posted:

How do Domino's powers compare to Longshot's? Same deal?

Longshot is more about being lucky and good things happening because of that. Domino is more about like, the very laws of probability changing in her favor and against others. They're pretty similar, but Domino probably has the more powerful of the two.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Codependent Poster posted:

Longshot is more about being lucky and good things happening because of that. Domino is more about like, the very laws of probability changing in her favor and against others. They're pretty similar, but Domino probably has the more powerful of the two.

With their powerset, Longshot could win the lottery if he got a ticket for it.

Domino could win the lottery of another country that she has no actual way to win.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Expecting some Final Destination kind of silliness.

Luck powers are tricky, and best when the character has no control over them.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Longshots are better because he has to have good intentions for them to work. Comics

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's to bad we won't ever see Mondo's ? World .

They don't seem to.want to really embrace the insanity of the X Men comics.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

Regular Batman already has that covered.

think again

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

think again

First, thank you for showing Anime Batman from child of dreams. That's the best loving thing from an already pretty great manga, and it's the bad guy.

Second- Pretty sure he meant that regular Batman sexualized children. I think that was his joke anyways

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Hollismason posted:

It's to bad we won't ever see Mondo's ? World .

They don't seem to.want to really embrace the insanity of the X Men comics.

Mojo? With the success of Deadpool and now Domino with her luck powers the possibility of a Longshot movie seems good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I have no idea who Domino is and I'm getting concerned that we're about to move into the 90's X-TREME era of comic book adaptations. I suppose it was inevitable (and I'm showing my age because I checked out of comics around 1990) but I'm not real hyped for a Lobo, Cable, Venom, Youngblood, New Mutants or a BloodBlood movie. Or a Spawn remake either.

I think I'm getting burned out on this poo poo and want another Godfather, Glengary Glen Ross or Dog Day Afternoon mixed in somewhere amidst all the punching and the capes. Every other god damned film is a comic book and I think we've finally reached over saturation. The drop off on Spiderman seems to suggest people are getting tired of this stuff too.

I'm down for a Moon Knight Netflix series though, a properly done stand alone FF period piece or a solo Hulk movie that follows up on IH.

Man, I sound cranky, but I've had Dr. Strange in my queue for 6 weeks now and have no urgency to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Every other god damned film is a comic book and I think we've finally reached over saturation. The drop off on Spiderman seems to suggest people are getting tired of this stuff too.

Except Wonder Woman keeps running and running.

• Locked thread