Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At least last time I stumbled into a supermarket drunk and five minutes before closing (I was sent to run an errand in the middle of the party) I was apologetic and very politely asked where the coca-cola was.

But I'm not an old white lady, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

The Great Autismo! posted:

ffs is anyone able to have a conversation with even a semblance of nuance

Only if the rest of the dumb dumbs hiding behind the "I'm trolling" defense drop the facade. Also its probably going to be unfunny and boring so it should go in D&D.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I ate that three day prob for non-committally saying that I was a troll. The truth is that I believe that despite extenuating circumstances of a few (see: thr lady who only has $5 ever) that a majority of people that are stuck in a dead end job could benefit from learning a tradeskill, moving to an area with more opportunity or going to college despite the risk of incuring debt. I agree that all these options are risky and no guarantee.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Glenn Quebec posted:

I ate that three day prob for non-committally saying that I was a troll. The truth is that I believe that despite extenuating circumstances of a few (see: thr lady who only has $5 ever) that a majority of people that are stuck in a dead end job could benefit from learning a tradeskill, moving to an area with more opportunity or going to college despite the risk of incuring debt. I agree that all these options are risky and no guarantee.

why are you still loving posting in this thread

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Very rude.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lately I've been seeing crazy people videos on Youtube of customers hassling employees (like coming in 2 mins before closing and getting extremely confrontational about everything) and the thing I wonder about is the fact that the employee is being recorded, and now every other nutjob that agrees with this nutjob knows what that poor employee looks like/their name/etc.

There's a power difference here because while the customer can do this and not worry about any personal recourse (they aren't getting filmed, the employee has no idea who they are) its not like the employee can get away with filming a hostile customer and post it on Youtube without potentially compromising their own job security. And ultimately its easier for management to simply fire a retail employee than ban a particular customer (less work, too).

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Glenn Quebec posted:

The TLDR of this post is:
"Yep, what a concept. I could use a little fuel myself and we could all use a little change."

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Gay Weed Dad posted:

The TLDR of this post is:
"Yep, what a concept. I could use a little fuel myself and we could all use a little change."

:master:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Panfilo posted:

Lately I've been seeing crazy people videos on Youtube of customers hassling employees (like coming in 2 mins before closing and getting extremely confrontational about everything) and the thing I wonder about is the fact that the employee is being recorded, and now every other nutjob that agrees with this nutjob knows what that poor employee looks like/their name/etc.

There's a power difference here because while the customer can do this and not worry about any personal recourse (they aren't getting filmed, the employee has no idea who they are) its not like the employee can get away with filming a hostile customer and post it on Youtube without potentially compromising their own job security. And ultimately its easier for management to simply fire a retail employee than ban a particular customer (less work, too).

Bodycams for cops and cashiers.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Gorilla Salad posted:

Please tell me how a woman with an entire $5 to her name is going to move loving anywhere?

rear end, gas or grass will get you where ever you want hitchhiking and move to Alaska and take care of the oil workers' needs.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

If you don't like your job just go work in Alaska like the older brother on Malcolm in the Middle

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Become an ice crab fisherman and write a novel like Louis L'Amour and then use your hard earned currency to purchase your education or tradeskill training.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Mammal Sauce posted:

rear end, gas or grass will get you where ever you want hitchhiking and move to Alaska and take care of the oil workers' needs.

Hate your job? One weird little trick to get you across the country to a better employment location.

it's prostitution

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
if you aren't smothering your children to death so you can spend your last $$ on a bus to Alaska you're not even technically alive

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

You ate a three day because you posted career advice in a thread where "don't give career advice" is specifically in the OP. You just did it again even though the relevant part of the OP was cited ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE.

Just wow

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
It's like you took a poo poo on the store floor, then asked a clerk, "hey, want to elevate your life and end up like me? Here's how!"

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Drunk Nerds posted:

You ate a three day because you posted career advice in a thread where "don't give career advice" is specifically in the OP. You just did it again even though the relevant part of the OP was cited ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE.

Just wow

except this is gbs, and the op is not a mod

if you want a retail safe space there's a thousand page retail megathread in the BFC subforum full of career sadbrains and nobody to make fun of you

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Zo posted:

if you want a retail safe space there's a thousand page retail megathread in the BFC subforum full of career sadbrains and nobody to make fun of you

There's a solid point here, in general. But in this specific instance I think it's reasonable to expect posters not to chastise peopke for working retail in the "share retail stories" thread.

I mean, I wouldn't go into a thread called, "share experiences with bitch made squareheads," and say, "look you dolts, just bootstrap and move away from Zo."

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

My ex- girlfriend is stuck and will be stuck in this retail hell. She was absolutely stunned that I was able to get a better job and move up the ladder at pretty much every place I ever worked at. She always would say I was just "lucky" or I didn't deserve it.

Honestly, I put my self out there in the job world and wouldn't take no for an answer. I hated where I was in my professional life and made it a goal to change.

She will be stuck in retail hell until she dies, because she doesn't believe that she deserves better.

This isn't an isolated story either, I feel like most people feel the exact same way as my ex.

Honestly no one truly "deserves" anything, but if you have that confidence and attitude employers will notice.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Zo posted:

just because you have the platform to be tiresome and unfunny doesn't mean it's the thing you should do tbh. I like a good shitpost as much as the next person but the stuff in this thread is really dumb. It's like the goons who were too reserved or scared to shitpost when they were younger finally got old/brave enough to shitpost, and now they are making their meager, contrarian inroads into a dead form of humor by hassling retail employees

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Sitting Here posted:

just because you have the platform to be tiresome and unfunny doesn't mean it's the thing you should do tbh. I like a good shitpost as much as the next person but the stuff in this thread is really dumb. It's like the goons who were too reserved or scared to shitpost when they were younger finally got old/brave enough to shitpost, and now they are making their meager, contrarian inroads into a dead form of humor by hassling retail employees

but enough about the retail thread.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Glenn is like the mascot for the thread. Big foam costume that's an exaggerated caricature of a middle aged white lady waiving a receipt around with poo poo stains on her pants

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Less a story about a lovely customer and more a commentary on the kind of vindictive niceness you need to wear as a suit of armour in customer service:

I work at a golf club with about 400 regularly drinking members and I get to know most of their stories and tbh I've learned asking 'how are you today' gets a 2 minute screed about the golf course so I've had more success with 'what can I do for you today' or one of a million other random conversational bullshit openers and one thing I've noticed is how people will often instinctively respond 'I'm good thanks' no matter what question you ask them.

No big deal, this happens a lot in hospitality, most people don't even notice, but this one bloke seems to have taken it really personally. I see him twice a week and every time without fail no matter what I say he will look at me and pointedly say 'I'm good thanks, how are you'

So now the new game is coming up with new conversational openers that fall inside the guidelines of acceptable customer service protocol that make him seem ridiculous for his stubborn adherence to the most asinine conversational niceties

So far he has not changed his response for:

'What I wonderful day! You must feel so lucky to get out there on a day like this'

'What's the good word mate?'

'What do you know'

Or anything else I can try, I secretly worry he might have crippling depression and is waiting desperately to be able to open up to someone

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I got promoted from retail slave to management by giving the boss man a firm handshake, looking him straight in the eye, and telling him, "I'm your man"

Millennials can't get ahead because they don't understand basic social interaction because they're always staring at their cell phones

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I got promoted from retail slave to management by giving the boss man a firm handshake, looking him straight in the eye, and telling him, "I'm your man"

Millennials can't get ahead because they don't understand basic social interaction because they're always staring at their cell phones

Finally, an employee with gumption!

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

McGavin posted:

Finally, an employee with gumption!

I have Gumption.

It's twelve bucks for a six

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Starman Super DX posted:

I have Gumption.

It's twelve bucks for a six

If you have video proof you can win a trip to Ciderstock 2015.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

McGavin posted:

If you have video proof you can win a trip to Ciderstock 2015.

I have heaps of gumption too. It's in Aisle 3

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I frequently stare at my cell phone at work and I got promoted to manager in 5 months on the job :shrug: At this rate they're gonna promote me to Corporate so I can audit and rate stores on bullshit metrics. And unfortunately I'd be good at it :negative:

I am, however, probably stuck in minimum wage/ garbage tier jobs due to a useless art degree, crippling debt, a mortgage, pets, mental and health problems, no time to work on resumes/ website/ art because I'm exhausted working 60 hours a week, can't do internships because they're unpaid and I'm broke, among others so no I can't move to loving Alaska gently caress you guy who said move to Alaska. E: or work on a fishing boat, hm yes I am a 5'0" 115 lb female working on a fishing boat sounds like a grand idea!!!

We had some crazy customer call and yell at the store manager for 20 minutes that it is SO WRONG that it is policy that she has to sign the credit card receipt for her orders (which are generally over $100). She called corporate and corporate said she was an idiot and she threatened never to order from us again. She ordered again the next day. Still bitched about having to sign the credit card receipt though.

When I worked in food delivery I had to trek through a muddy park to deliver to a big catering order to some party and the lady was like,"I can't put a tip on this receipt because it's not my card!" I was dumb and 16 so I didn't fight back.

Later when I was older some guy tried to skimp me on a tip by saying "I can't tip you because I paid with a card over the phone and didn't tell them to put a tip!" Then I was like, :smug: "actually, you can write it in on the receipt." He was not happy but I did get a tip.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 2, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mammal Sauce posted:

Starman Super DX posted:

Hate your job? One weird little trick to get you across the country to a better employment location.

it's prostitution

Also a great way to get raped and/or murdered, especially if you're a woman and/or minority!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Inescapable Duck posted:

Also a great way to get raped and/or murdered, especially if you're a woman and/or minority!

Gotta take the bad with the good, getting raped/murdered is just part of bootstrapping it for 10K in savings!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Oh speaking of metrics I just angrily remembered this. I worked at Apple in 07 or so. I started out in sales but I wasn't very good at selling the Attachments (seriously useless garbage like .mac and ProCare) because I actually cared to give customers a good experience and make them happy/not feel ripped off/etc. Consequently, I was also very good at working at the genius bar because I was compassionate and such, and I was also really good at repairs and diagnostics and whatever. When a position for full-time genius opened up all the current geniuses literally wrote emails to management saying they should give me the position. But because I didn't sell enough useless attachements ("my numbers were low") they instead promoted this dude that was lovely with customers and constantly broke computers, but his Numbers were Good.

Take it from corporate: the best way to help customers with difficult issues like having to tell them they lost 100GB of family photos and will have to pay $1,000 is to try and upsell them a $99 website maker while talking in a monotone saying "this will cost $1,000" with no emotion or empathy or anything of the sort.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I had a customer try to intimidate me into giving him the owners personal cell phone number so he could bitch about me because I directed him to a trash can outside of the store to drop a literal bag of poo poo into instead of one of the trash cans in side of the store. He didn't take kindly being told "No, I will not give you the owners personal cell phone number on a Saturday evening when he's at home with his kids."

:shrug:???

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

MC Hawking posted:

I had a customer try to intimidate me into giving him the owners personal cell phone number so he could bitch about me because I directed him to a trash can outside of the store to drop a literal bag of poo poo into instead of one of the trash cans in side of the store. He didn't take kindly being told "No, I will not give you the owners personal cell phone number on a Saturday evening when he's at home with his kids."

:shrug:???

Your manager is probably thanking gently caress for you.

I'm actually kind of disappointed with myself for not anonymously spreading around manager contact numbers on the Internet at the prior job I left. They loving deserve that kind of grief, and considering the mountains of layoffs and livelihoods they ruined, it couldn't have been easily traced back to me.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I mentioned my pizza job earlier so here are a couple more stories.

I started working at this place my senior year of high school, and continued working through the first couple months of my sophomore year of college as my class schedule allowed. I ended up quitting because they kept scheduling me when I had class (after I gave them multiple copies of my schedule and they promised not to) and would call my phone relentlessly when I didn't show up.

The summer after freshman year they offered me a raise to start managing closing shifts. I agreed and they started scheduling me for those shifts immediately but I had to nag them through two paycheck cycles before they actually raised my wage in the payroll system. Assholes. Anyway, here are the two stories from that summer that I remember:

It's after closing time and the doors are locked. I'm in the store alone closing out the register after I've finished cleaning the kitchen, seating area, and bathrooms on my own. Tired as hell but not a bad day. The owner of the business shows up as I'm finishing up. We chat about the day's numbers for a minute and he goes to the bathroom. I wait for him by the door, we turn out the lights and double check the doors are locked and each go home.

The next day I show up for a lunch shift and the store manager (so my direct boss, not the owner from last night) sits me down and writes me up because the bathroom is a mess from the night before. Gives me a talk about making sure EVERYTHING is clean after my closing shifts. That motherfucker. He took a dump and made a mess in his own loving store after close and made sure we left at the same time. I'm pissed but the manager definitely isn't going to bat for me here. I respond by stealing as much food and drink as possible and never getting caught. Free pizza to my friends and family every day, 20oz coke bottles go home with me every night. And I look the other way while other employees do the same, of course.

Not a horrible customer and not technically retail, but it still makes my blood boil and that was like 10 years ago. The owner was later convicted on some kind of domestic abuse charge after cops sent his girlfriend into his house wearing a wire. Pretty wild but this was after I quit so I wasn't part of the celebration with the other employees.

Here's one that's actually a horrible customer:

I'm cutting and boxing the pizzas as they come out of the oven, sending drivers out and keeping poo poo rolling. I'm managing this shift and it's going smoothly, nobody's stressing. Basically as good as a night can be in the pizza shop. Suddenly a customer is screaming at the register. White suburban christian dad, guy has been in a few times before, he's a little high and mighty but never been terribly rude or angry at us before. I come up to see what's going on and the 16 year old girl working the register is on the verge of tears.

Customer: "the total is wrong! I have this coupon and I did the math at home!"

He did the math at home? A little weird but fine I guess. I take his coupon and look over the charges on the screen, initially assuming he forgot tax or something small like that. I probably wouldn't have automatically put the blame on him, but y'know, he's berating a child over a matter of a few cents.

Our register runs off a touch screen computer, and whenever we have a promotion running, it's set up as a button. The only way to input direct percentage or dollar amount discounts manually is with a manager code. So it's pretty much impossible for most of the employees to gently caress up the math, as he's accusing her of. I check and she applied the correct promotion matching the coupon. The problem is whoever put the promotion in our system put in a smaller discount than the coupon. Ugh, this is going to come up repeatedly all month now. I go in and correct his bill with the manager code.

Me: "hey sorry man, they put this promotion in the computer system wrong. I fixed it so the total should be what you calculated now."

Him: "WOW ISN'T IT INTERESTING HOW THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS WRONG NOW"

Me: "uh okay well it's fixed now. Here's your food, sorry again. Have a good night."

Him: "I DON'T LIKE YOUR ATTITUDE WHAT ARE YOUR NAMES I KNOW THE OWNERS* I'M GOING TO CALL THEM AND TELL THEM WHAT TERRIBLE SERVICE YOU GAVE ME TONIGHT"

*not the owner who took a poo poo on my shift - he sold some of the business (I don't know the details) to this rich conservative christian couple who refused to remember my name despite seeing me every day

Me: "okay man my name is ____ and you can tell them whatever you want about me, see you later"

I wouldn't give him the girl's name because gently caress it I'm the manager and it clearly wasn't her fault. He stormed out and we never heard anything from the owners about it. He was either bluffing about knowing them or calling them or they didn't care.

Okay that was therapeutic to bitch about assholes from a decade ago. Service jobs really scar you forever.

Breadallelogram fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 2, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

5er posted:

Your manager is probably thanking gently caress for you.

I'm actually kind of disappointed with myself for not anonymously spreading around manager contact numbers on the Internet at the prior job I left. They loving deserve that kind of grief, and considering the mountains of layoffs and livelihoods they ruined, it couldn't have been easily traced back to me.

Counterpoint. I had a major escalation with Sonicwall a few years back, and cheerfully passed around direct lines, names, and titles for senior people in the support organization.

Because their support sucks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We totally just had an old white entitled rear end in a top hat make a server cry at my pizza restaurant too! What's up with those people?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
^^^ Impotence.

Not the sexual kind of impotence, though. I mean the "utterly worthless and powerless and inconsequential in their day to day lives" kind of impotence.

They're past the point where they can safely beat their wives. Their kids are gown and aren't going to stand to be berated or slapped about. Their lives suck, their days are empty and so there's nothing left for them to feel batter about themselves than to find someone they do have power over, like a young girl working in an industry with zero job security, and do everything they can to hurt them.

Breadallelogram posted:

I respond by stealing as much food and drink as possible and never getting caught. Free pizza to my friends and family every day, 20oz coke bottles go home with me every night. And I look the other way while other employees do the same, of course.

It amazes me that pieces of crap (no pun intended) like that owner never seem to grasp that doing something as disgusting as that to someone who effectively runs the sharp end of their business is just a terrible idea.

Ha, ha, I'm gonna poo poo all over your clean toilets and get you in trouble and, oh, what's that? You're here alone handling thousands of dollars in cash and merchandise and tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment? Eh, what's the worst that could happen?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 2, 2017

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Corporate closed the store the following summer. WONDER WHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Crazy food service customers are hilarious. At Jimmy Johns you scoop the bread out for sandwiches 1-6. Some guy saw us doing this and started yelling "MY RELIGION DOESNT ALLOW ME TO EAT SANDWICHES WITH THE BREAD TAKEN OUT!" No idea why, I guess it was something against being wasteful? In any case we had to throw the sandwich out (in front of him) and remake it. So if it was a waste thing, congrats guy.

Some other dude made me take all the wheat bread slices out to chose the biggest ones. They were maybe .25" in difference in size. I also had to throw out a sandwich because he complained about the size after I had already started making it.

I also wanted to murder everyone who starts changing up their order once we already started making the sandwich. "Oh can I have no mayo on that?!" After we already put mayo on it. Bitch it says right on the menu, the menu you were just reading, that the sandwich has mayo on it. Tell this to the register person! Why is this so difficult? Or worse when they would bring the sandwich back half-eaten and demand we put/take off whatever ingredient on it. Do you go to other restaurants and be like,"oh sorry I didn't want chicken in this chicken noodle soup!" After you've already gotten the food and started eating? Is reading comprehension so hard?

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 2, 2017

• Locked thread