Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm going to be in Montreal next week, anyone know of any must visit game stores there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

I'm going to be in Montreal next week, anyone know of any must visit game stores there?

I didn't know such things existed

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Old Tree posted:

Late to the party (I guess?), but I got around to reading 7th Sea 2E, and now I'm ordering a physical copy it's so good. I had such low hopes, even with some of the names that have been attached to the game, the only reason I have a PDF of it is because my friend wanted the book for his birthday. But, goddamn, this is like anti-Wickian in every way, and directly answers every criticism my shallow remembrance of first edition can recall. I feel like there would've been more conversation about this, but the whole thing seems to just be quietly and competently grinding away at its massive million-dollar stretch goal list. What gives?
Speaking only for myself, I found myself utterly uninspired by the rules system. It just leaves me cold.

Like it hits the spot between too many and too few rules, while those rules also don't seem to work, and simultaneously expecting a lot out of the GM.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

fool_of_sound posted:

Montreals or must visit game stores? :v:

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Ratpick posted:

Also does anyone have a good idea for an intro level adventure to the game? The one in the rulebook is kinda meh even though it does have some neat setpieces.
I usually do this when running a one shot:
http://www.critical-hits.com/blog/2010/11/28/the-gammarizer-bringing-your-town-to-gamma-terra/

It usually leads to some pretty nonsensical adventures, but the players usually get a kick out of gammarizing the local area.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

fool_of_sound posted:

I would count anything with a good selection of used games, especially RPGs, as must visit myself. If its just a store with in-print stuff then yeah, I wouldn't call that must visit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I had an idea this morning of running grid-based combat in PbPs using ASCII art for maps.

I googled-up http://www.asciipaint.com/, and translated the first encounter of 4e's Dungeon Delve, which looks like this:

into this:

pre:

.SS.                                                    
                  .SS.                                                    
                ....^^^^                                                  
                ....^^^^                                                  
                      EE                                                  
                      EE                                                  
                      EE
I imagine I'd just get the players to pick out their own unique character. I know PbP isn't the most popular or viable format by a long-shot, but I was just brainstorming.

What do you think?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

nesbit37 posted:

I haven't been, but people seem to really like Chez Geeks. It's a bit more focused on card and board games than tabletop stuff, though. Although I guess that's every modern hobby shop...

Game Keeper and Tour de Jeux also have pretty good reputations.

I don't know if I can qualify any of them as "must-visit" though.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

I had an idea this morning of running grid-based combat in PbPs using ASCII art for maps.

I googled-up http://www.asciipaint.com/, and translated the first encounter of 4e's Dungeon Delve, which looks like this:

into this:

pre:

.SS.                                                    
                  .SS.                                                    
                ....^^^^                                                  
                ....^^^^                                                  
                      EE                                                  
                      EE                                                  
                      EE
I imagine I'd just get the players to pick out their own unique character. I know PbP isn't the most popular or viable format by a long-shot, but I was just brainstorming.

What do you think?

asccii art makes my eyes glaze over like nothing else

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

quote:

What do you think?

Why not just use roll20 or another platform designed for elfgames? Seems like a lot effort by both the players and GM for an aesthetic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
in other news, my shipment of books arrived tonight:

and my cat is already loving the box they came in:

tokenbrownguy posted:

Why not just use roll20 or another platform designed for elfgames? Seems like a lot effort by both the players and GM for an aesthetic.

idk, I used roll20 before for a 4e PbP and I had to take screenshots of the map to import it back and forth anyway

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

gradenko_2000 posted:

and my cat is already loving the box they came in:

A fine cat! :3:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

That cat is beautiful :3:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

gradenko_2000 posted:

into this:

pre:

.SS.                                                    
                  .SS.                                                    
                ....^^^^                                                  
                ....^^^^                                                  
                      EE                                                  
                      EE                                                  
                      EE

What do you think?

I'd like this better if it followed standard Roguelike conventions for representing a dungeon in ASCII.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, roguelikes are immediately what I thought of. I'm not sure how best to represent multiple player characters in that context, especially when color would be a huge pain to add, but I bet it could be done.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
When I ran a tactical play by post I just made a map in roll20 and posted screenshots to the thread. It worked just fine.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
7th Sea absolutely has some Wickisms, but it's restrained and I wouldn't consider them dealbreakers. The corruption rules are probably the most egregious example.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think if the ASCII map is going to work at all, it needs a character that represents blocking terrain and frames the map, kinda like this:

pre:

############
                ###........#                                                
                ###........#                                                
                ###.5..#####                                                
                ###4...#####                                               
                ###3...#####                                                
                ###.12.#####                                                
                ###.SS.#####                                                
                ###.SS.#####                                                
                ###....#####                                                
                #........###                                                  
                #........###                                                  
                #....^^^^###                                                  
                #....^^^^###                                                  
                #######EE###                                                  
                #######EE###                                                  
                #######EE###
                ############
But even just from editing this I can pretty much guarantee you, if the point is that everyone posts a new map the way it looks after their turn, someone will accidentally put the wrong character in the wrong line or column and that kind of mistake is bound to propagate through the next two or three posts/turns before someone catches it.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I have no patience for ASCII maps but if that's the easiest way for you to DM then go crazy.

Back on 'realistic violence' I feel like that is pretty overdone after 30 years. Why not a system where fighting is the failure state. Like Unknown Armies' six ways to stop a fight, but enforced.

Amd if a combat situation does happen you state your intended method of fighting and it's rock-paper-scissors but intimidation<injury<murder

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I don't think I'd ever use an ASCII battlemap, but a MUD style ASCII overworld map would be chill

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

All this talk about realism reminds me of this old article about myths about martial arts. It just makes me think if you want to do "realistic" violence, what you don't focus is just the lethality, but mechanics about being aware of threats, understanding the level things are escalating to, etc. If you're going to have deadly violence, you need to give PCs the tools in any sort of extended campaign to make the right decisions surrounding violence, not just a lowered version of hit points. Alternately you can also play with psychology - you as a detached player may have the guts to have your RP puppet rush an armed gunman, but would your character be able to build up their morale meter to manage that? Do they have something that fuels their morale meter to face down death? That kind of thing.

If violence isn't a central form of entertainment like it is in many games, then the effects and consequences become more important than the details, and you can throw away the whole battle simulation aspect that nearly every game contains in one form or another.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 2, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If violence isn't a central form of entertainment like it is in many games, then the effects and consequences become more important than the details, and you can throw away the whole battle simulation aspect that nearly every game contains in one form or another.

This just reminds me of the Red Dwarf RPG, which just in the middle of the book had a complicated combat system crammed in. Which seemed like a bit of a stretch since as a comedy show, Red Dwarf combat consisted of 'fire implausible guns at target, discover they don't work, run away screaming'

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

7th Sea absolutely has some Wickisms, but it's restrained and I wouldn't consider them dealbreakers. The corruption rules are probably the most egregious example.

I don't know if I'd call the Corruption rules Wickian, so much as they're just aggressively traditional, which is still pretty disappointing. The only part I seriously dislike is how drinking Black Broth always nets you Corruption, because of how morally neutral it is compared to everything else that gets you Corruption. They should've either left such rules out, or fleshed them out and made more of the gray area between Heroes and Villains.

dwarf74 posted:

Speaking only for myself, I found myself utterly uninspired by the rules system. It just leaves me cold.

Like it hits the spot between too many and too few rules, while those rules also don't seem to work, and simultaneously expecting a lot out of the GM.

I will say that it seems like it's trying to do some things like a *World game, but explains them poorly. Having only just finished the book, my main mechanical concern is that with the way the dice probabilities work out, it looks like the initiative system will result in frequent initiative "pileup", similar to Exalted 2E but worse because it's not just a weird thing that happens right at the beginning of combat.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Pramas/status/892429236643872768

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

I don't know if I'd call the Corruption rules Wickian, so much as they're just aggressively traditional, which is still pretty disappointing.

"I'm going to give a random chance to tear up your character sheet because you did something I didn't like." strikes me as a very pass-aggy solution to the problem of people playing off-genre. And that, itself, might not be considered Wickish, even though most games might just have a sidebar that says "this game is about heroes and if you're going n to play a villain, make sure the rest of the group is cool with that."

Adding special powers that require you to take Corruption to activate and dangling that carrot is where I think things get indisputably Wickish.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I met up with a friend over the weekend and we went to a nerd shop or whatever you want to call it, the card games were beside the manga and while I was looking through those she spotted and Attack on Titan card game. She seemed pretty excited about it so I agreed to buy a starter deck and three boosters too so she'd have someone to play with. Afterwards we looked through the rarity of what we got and her second pull was the highest level of rarity and I had to pretend I was happy instead of full of rage and jealousy. I didn't know where to post about this other than TG tbh

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

EmmyOk posted:

I met up with a friend over the weekend and we went to a nerd shop or whatever you want to call it, the card games were beside the manga and while I was looking through those she spotted and Attack on Titan card game. She seemed pretty excited about it so I agreed to buy a starter deck and three boosters too so she'd have someone to play with. Afterwards we looked through the rarity of what we got and her second pull was the highest level of rarity and I had to pretend I was happy instead of full of rage and jealousy. I didn't know where to post about this other than TG tbh

Sounds like a typical collectible card games experience. You'd fit right in here at TG.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

EmmyOk posted:

Reminds me of when a friend and I bought a starter deck and some packs of the DBZ card game back in ~2000 and his first pack had some super-rare foil Piccolo in it. He would kick my rear end more often than not because of it so I decided to buy a few more packs, found :10bux: on the ground outside Target, and used it on those packs. Got the hyper-rare Goku that was apparently the rarest card in the game at the time. Played a few more games, we realized it was essentially just "get the highest power level dude you can, cram your deck full of orange beam attacks, beat anyone not doing this" so I sold off my Goku (and all the others but the Goku was the only thing worth anything) to the card store for a box of Magic.

Good times.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Sounds like a typical collectible card games experience. You'd fit right in here at TG.

Glad to hear it! I was on a YouTube binge and came across some Pokémon unboxing and found them weirdly absorbing and ended up buying some booster packs because it was fun to see what shiny you might get. I've been getting more and more curious about actually playing the game too which is why I was happy to try Attack on Titan/WeissSchwarz

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Should make a thread over in TCC.

Lacerda
Apr 20, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

I was in Montreal this weekend and went to Chez Geeks and Le Valet d'Coeur. Chez Geeks had almost no RPG stuff and very expensive dice. Le Valet d'Coeur had a much larger selection of tabletop junk and a man in a utilikilt that liked explaining games. Must visit? Depends on how much you like extremely functional kilts.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The Crackhead Gamehouse

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yawgmoth posted:

found :10bux: on the ground outside Target, and used it on those packs. Got the hyper-rare Goku that was apparently the rarest card in the game at the time.
This is Willy Wonka tier

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

LongDarkNight posted:

Should make a thread over in TCC.

to be fair card games will destroy your life almost as fast as crack and it's a lot harder to get crack digitally

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

into this:

pre:

.SS.                                                    
                  .SS.                                                    
                ....^^^^                                                  
                ....^^^^                                                  
                      EE                                                  
                      EE                                                  
                      EE

What do you think?

I'm kind of interested in mocking this up in Roll20 and having my party go back in time, with 2eish mechanics.

WELP time to try that in about a year when my game resumes.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Elfgames posted:

to be fair card games will destroy your life almost as fast as crack and it's a lot harder to get crack digitally
You can now use bitcoins to have crack delivered to your door. The future is weird.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gobbeldygook posted:

You can now use bitcoins to have crack delivered to your door. The future is weird.

FINALLY

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

I've been asked to play a dimension-hopping wizard in an upcoming Cortex plus game set in the modern United States, and I've been trying to brainstorm some unusual schools of wizardry that would be a fun basis for a character. Some of the schools from Unknown Armies have been interesting, but I'm looking for something a little more towards superheroic-y and fun than that. Ideally it would have an associated skill-set that would help the character blend into society (e.g. a demonologist might be good at contract law). Anyone have suggestions (or suggestions for a book/source that might be useful)?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Splicer posted:

This is Willy Wonka tier

I've got a golden Goku~

I've got a golden

Ka

Me

Ha

Me

Haaa~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

nomadotto posted:

I've been asked to play a dimension-hopping wizard in an upcoming Cortex plus game set in the modern United States, and I've been trying to brainstorm some unusual schools of wizardry that would be a fun basis for a character. Some of the schools from Unknown Armies have been interesting, but I'm looking for something a little more towards superheroic-y and fun than that. Ideally it would have an associated skill-set that would help the character blend into society (e.g. a demonologist might be good at contract law). Anyone have suggestions (or suggestions for a book/source that might be useful)?

Evocation wizard as either a farmer or park ranger. Gives him a steady source of income and lets him be secluded to do his weird wizardry stuff. His ability to make rain, control flame would let him irrigate and clear out forest easily enough.

Transmutation also works.

• Locked thread