Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

I always figured it's supposed to be the idea that losing a whole bunch of soldiers is much cheaper than losing a tank.
This is the movie's implication, yeah. The books go with "the MI are the tanks".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Biplane posted:

Rewatched Starship Troopers recently and it reinforced how perfect I think that movie is, the pacing and storytelling and world building are loving flawless and I'm astounded by how well it holds up compared to so many other, newer films. I also spotted something I've never noticed before: after Rico gets command of the Roughnecks and just before they head out for the climactic raid, Rico's inspecting the replacements and he does the standard "jesus look at these kids fresh out of boot" like all military men in any movie ever but the replacements are all actual kids, like 15, maybe 16 years old. A subtle moment that reinforces how absolutely flat out nazi-bad the Federation actually is.

Id like to know more

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pook Good Mook posted:

I always took the younger recruits as a subtle world choice that shows that thanks to the war they had to institute a draft into teenagers while the initial battles were fought by the voluntary professional army.

Also, in classic fascist fashion, boot camp was less about training for the upcoming war against the common enemy (the bugs) and more about creating a show force that was locked into a specific theory of war. Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but there's really interesting books about how the Nazis never changed their training methods or fighting doctrines, even after it was clear that the theory they were training (hard, fast, directed attacks) no longer worked in a war they were losing. In Starship Troopers they're fighting a species they know outnumbers and out-reproduces humans with thousands of foot soldiers rather than doing what they did later in the war (bombing indiscriminately) and as a result lost a gigantic portion of their undertrained "professionals" in pointless battles.

I always assumed they were also running out their numbers of recruitable people from the proper generation, and were going younger and younger, like the Nazis ended up having to.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Beachcomber”" post="“474941072”"]
They’re each supposed to be wearing one.
[/quote]

Edge of Tomorrow Live, Die, Repeat was closer to Starship Troopers than Starship Troopers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The "Toys in the Attic" episode of Cowboy Bebop is a pretty on the nose parody of Alien, but it goes further than just following the story beats and lifts entire scenes from the film, including the scene where the alien drops from the ceiling behind a victim. It also references plenty of other science fiction franchises including Star Trek and 2001 a Space Odyssey. While you immediately notice Jet doing a captain's log, you may not have noticed that several Star Trek sound effects are scattered throughout the episode.

Don't leave food in the fridge, guys.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Toys in the Attic is really good. The most blatant """""homage""""" in the world is still the episode of The X-Files that's literally just The Thing.

e: also the few times I've peaked into this thread I've seen a lot of talk about The Thick of It which is a show I watch two or three times a year. Does anyone else think Malcolm did set up the "I'm Bent" photoshoot? It seems really accidental even despite Nicola's initial accusation but just before it happens Malcolm is shown in the background examining the Liam Bentley sign.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Aug 2, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's accidental, but Malcolm is the master of spin so once it happened his mind kicked into overdrive to work it to the party advantage if he ever needed to dump Nicola.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Didn't that scene come really early on? At that stage I think they just wanted DoSAC to quietly get on with doing as little as possible. It would be massively against the party's interests to make her look bad worse than she made herself look.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Arcsquad12 posted:

Roughnecks had fire support Marauders alongside regular power armored infantry as well as artillery and air support. On Pluto they went up against 1 million arachnids with only ten thousand troopers and managed to win. It's also loving awesome and you should watch it regardless of how you feel about 90s TV CGI.

The new Starship Troopers reboot that is constantly going through development hell is going to be bad. Until it comes out, they'll just keep making more of those Resident Evil style CGI anime movies, which are also bad.

How about the opposite of a subtle movie moment.

It's a Good Day to Die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Edge of Tomorrow Live, Die, Repeat All You Need Is Kill was closer to Starship Troopers than Starship Troopers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All You Need is Kill would never have worked, they made a good call changing that.

Just not with what they chose.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Aphrodite posted:

All You Need is Kill would never have worked, they made a good call changing that.

Just not with what they chose.

Shoulda gone with Groundhog Troopers.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Vulpes posted:

Shoulda gone with Groundhog Troopers.

Groundhog Die, surely.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CzarChasm posted:

Groundhog Die, surely.

oh gently caress

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CzarChasm posted:

Groundhog Die, surely.

:perfect:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Groundhog Die, surely.

I kind of want to make this my first thread title change tbh

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

EmmyOk posted:

http://i.imgur.com/u5Js289.mp4

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

EmmyOk posted:

e. And there it is!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
In Groundhog Day, Bill Murray's character can't read.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MariusLecter posted:

Well, not for the first 1000 years. But he finally learns the day he wins the lady’s heart.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

MariusLecter posted:

you can tell because he's a bad weatherman

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

To better get in character, Bill had long time friend and director Harold Ramis hit him in the head until he forgot how to read. Unfortunately, Harold struck him one too many times, and their friendship fell out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I love that movie too, and yes, it's basically the least subtle movie of all time and of course tons of critics at the time couldn't even grasp the simplest idea of satire and took it at face value.

Fun story, I worked with a guy who was an extra in the scene where Rico gets his math scores displayed on the big screen. He got to stand right next to Denise Richards in her prime. :swoon:

I had an english professor argue that because it played it straight and didn't wink at the camera it wasn't satire.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
During the lightsaber duel between Obi Wan and Anakin in Revenge of the Sith, Anakin grabs Obi Wan's throat and starts to strangle him. He uses his right hand, which is robotic, showing subtly how his downfall has distanced himself from his humanity and friendships.

Now let me tell you about Ring Theory and how the prequels are actually masterpieces of reoccurring storytelling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Star Wars prequels are just a poor man's Metal Gear prequels.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

https://twitter.com/studiesincrap/status/889931165863432192

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Arcsquad12 posted:

During the lightsaber duel between Obi Wan and Anakin in Revenge of the Sith, Anakin grabs Obi Wan's throat and starts to strangle him. He uses his right hand, which is robotic, showing subtly how his downfall has distanced himself from his humanity and friendships.

Now let me tell you about Ring Theory and how the prequels are actually masterpieces of reoccurring storytelling.

A bionic hand that can't hydraulically crush a trachea is disappointing.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

It can crush a trachea but Anikan couldn't read the manual

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Smiling Jack posted:

It can crush a trachea but Anikan couldn't read the manual

:golfclap:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

e: also the few times I've peaked into this thread I've seen a lot of talk about The Thick of It which is a show I watch two or three times a year. Does anyone else think Malcolm did set up the "I'm Bent" photoshoot? It seems really accidental even despite Nicola's initial accusation but just before it happens Malcolm is shown in the background examining the Liam Bentley sign.

Malcolm did it on purpose. He's studying the Liam Bentley sign a few minutes before, he's the one who tells Glen she needs to move into the middle of the shot, and when it happens instead of being angry he just says 'you tried' and walks away.

He does it because Nicola is ignoring his advice that she needs to choose between loving over her husband or her daughter, and he wants to show her what being a minister is like. He even says later in the episode that the photo is basically no big deal, but it's the tip of the iceberg compared to what will happen if she doesn't do what he says.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Just watched Alien: Covenant and thought it was quite clever how they cast James Franco as the captain that dies 30 seconds into the film without speaking a word. It helped sell Billy Crudup feeling out of his depth taking command because James Franco was quite clearly supposed to be the "main character".

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The Matrix is on Netflix. I hadn't seen it it 10+ years...

Anyway, the agents all button the bottom button on their suits, which is a sartorial faux pas, and exactly the type of thing a computer would overlook or not understand.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

deoju posted:

Anyway, the agents all button the bottom button on their suits, which is a sartorial faux pas, and exactly the type of thing a computer would overlook or not understand.

That's great. The first Matrix is such a stellar movie.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

deoju posted:

Thank you for making me google the word "sartorial".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

That's great. The first Matrix is such a stellar movie.

:yeah:

Kramdar posted:

Thank you for making me google the word "sartorial".
same

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's more fashion than rule. King Edward VII was too fat to button up his suit fully but because he was king of became fashionable to imitate him and is somehow still a thing a hundred years later.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Tunicate posted:

I had an english professor argue that because it played it straight and didn't wink at the camera it wasn't satire.

I had an argument with British Government Minister that Starship Troopers was an unapologetically fascist movie. He wouldn't accept it was satire either.

I dunno...

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I had an argument with British Government Minister that Starship Troopers was an unapologetically fascist movie. He wouldn't accept it was satire either.

I dunno...

First memes, now this. Do you work in the Department of Explaining the Modern World to Old People?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

First memes, now this. Do you work in the Department of Explaining the Modern World to Old People?

This was back in the early 00s and I was chatting film with the Culture, Media and Sport minister, who you'd really think would be able to work this kind of thing out. I was really confused as to how he was taking it seriously.

edit: Having said that he was pretty much right about Fight Club though.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Aug 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

This was back in the early 00s and I was chatting film with the Culture, Media and Sport minister, who you'd really think would be able to work this kind of thing out. I was really confused as to how he was taking it seriously.
You could have just shown him the directors commentary that pretty much devolves to Verhoeven yelling "when you see SS uniforms, you know that it is about bad!" within about 5 minutes.