Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This is one part where Skyrim massively, bafflingly dropped the ball. Oblivion's faction questlines were a mixed bag but Skyrim's were universally dreadful and unaccountably obsessed with draugr ruins. The game has a bunch of fun and involved sidequests otherwise but there's not a single fun faction and the railroading in them - even for Bethesda - is baffling. Why do I have to sell my soul to Nightingale to get some lovely armour. Why do I have to become a werewolf. what

I mean you sell your soul about a dozen times already, what's doing it one more time to look like Batman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Honestly, my unpopular opinion is that I'd probably like an Oblivion with Skyrim's conveniences better than I actually like Skyrim. If it wasn't for a baffling scaling system that screws you over more often than not, hideous blandly voiced potato people, and hilariously terrible dungeon design (almost, but not quite, the level of Mass Effect's literal 3 building designs), I think it'd at least still be remembered as a good game and not an awkward middle child.

Skyrim's skill system beats out Oblivion's no question, though.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean you sell your soul about a dozen times already, what's doing it one more time to look like Batman?

I guess the idea was that you have the soul of a dragon so when you die, good luck to any god who comes collecting

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
As I understand it, the Thieves Guild in Skyrim has a bunch of a story quests that don't have much to do with thieving. Lot of dungeon diving for a burglar.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hey, stealing from draugr is still stealing.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I like how beggars in Oblivion change voice actors when you talk to them.
They have their old, weakly beggar voice they use when asking for money but when you ask them about topics they switch to the generic voice actor for that race.
Kind of gives you the impression everyone is faking the whole poor thing for easy money.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My favorite little thing in Bethesda games is how much they suck

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

scarycave posted:

They have their old, weakly beggar voice they use when asking for money but when you ask them about topics they switch to the generic voice actor for that race.
Kind of gives you the impression everyone is faking the whole poor thing for easy money.

Well Fallout 3 has a quest that shows if you help out needy poor people they'll commit indiscriminate slaughter because they're inherently evil so it's not out of the question

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
PYF Decade-Old Bethesda Arguments: The Repostening

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

My favorite little thing in Bethesda games is how much they suck

this is my favorite things about bethesda too

though the game engine is poo poo, we know it's possible to make a good game with it, ref. new vegas

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

The Lone Badger posted:

I keep resisting the urge to buy one for Horizon:ZD. Not sure how much longer I'm going to hold out.

Horizon, Bloodborne, TLG- it's worth it.

Crusty Juggler
Mar 26, 2009

Just Offscreen posted:

Horizon, Bloodborne, TLG- it's worth it.

Along with Nioh and Yakuza 0!

For content, the newest update for Titanfall 2 brings back the online cooperative mode from the first game, and it's phenomenal. My favorite little thing, however, is the faction you get assigned in this mode. For those who haven't played, there is a ten-second countdown before your game starts in TF2 multiplayer, where the leader of the faction you choose gives your team a pep talk before having you jump out of a drop ship onto the battleground - they then act as the announcer for your match and give you updates on your performance. Most of the choices are super serious, but the cooperative mode has everyone get announcements from Davis and Droz, a pair of goofy soldiers whose sole purposes are to freak out over how awesome your team is and to banter back and forth about nothing of consequence. It's a nice change of pace and really gets you into the "hang out with your friends and blow stuff up without worrying about the opposing team being a bunch of MLG pros" mentality.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Lone Badger posted:

I keep resisting the urge to buy one for Horizon:ZD. Not sure how much longer I'm going to hold out.

H:ZD is good but it is not system-selling good, it's Far Cry 3 with robot dinosaurs. I love my PS4 to death and there's tons of exclusives (or games I'd rather play on my couch) but H:ZD is not the endless hype machine it wanted to be.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

food court bailiff posted:

H:ZD is good but it is not system-selling good, it's Far Cry 3 with robot dinosaurs. I love my PS4 to death and there's tons of exclusives (or games I'd rather play on my couch) but H:ZD is not the endless hype machine it wanted to be.

Bloodborne fills that role nicely.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sony released an excellent device that allows one to play Bloodborne, and some hangers-on have added to the value by developing their own pale imitation "games" that can also be used with this device

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

:frogout:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I never get the whole "Consoles are only good for one super-good game and all other games can be ignored" mentality that people seem to have (I know it's a Joke, it's just not one that I identify with). I kinda like all the unpolished PSP upscales that I got for the PS4, type-0 was fairly engaging and I had fun playing it and God Eater 2 had potential, I liked the sidequests in Xenoblade Chronicles X (although the main plot is poorly paced garbage) for the Wii-U, and honestly don't really care about the new Zelda, (I find it a little too much although I still go back to it from time to time), and Captain Toad was adorable. An honestly I couldn't care less about playing Bloodborne, I've watched a few LPs and it is a good game, just not a game I think I would enjoy. Generally I'm OK with the Souls series but honestly could take it or leave it. I got halfway through Dark Souls 1 before getting stuck in the Painted World and losing interest, then beat Dark Souls 3, which was fun but I'm in no hurry for more. I have other itches to scratch.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

it's Far Cry 3 with robot dinosaurs

That should be on the promotional material because I'm probably going to buy the game on that sentence alone.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Speaking of Type-0, Beginning of the End and Vermilion Fire are some of my favorite Final Fantasy tracks. And landing kill sights is very satisfying.
Just a bit of a shame that its so drat grindy and the whole "school" thing takes away from the actual game. Without that stuff, it would have been a regular final fantasy game but instead of turn based battles, its crisis-core like combat.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

it's Far Cry 3 with robot dinosaurs.

That game already exists, it's called Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

StandardVC10 posted:

That game already exists, it's called Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

That has robots and dinosaurs but the dinosaurs are not robots.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I played an hour of Bloodborne and didn't play any more because I just don't get the Souls type games.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

World War Mammories posted:

this is my favorite things about bethesda too

though the game engine is poo poo, we know it's possible to make a good game with it, ref. new vegas

That the thing, though. The engine doesn't suck at all. There are plenty of games that use it and are great.
Bethesda is HORRIBLE at animation and scripting.
And writing.
And world building.

But the games are still fun, somehow.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's also a proper thread to keep whinging about it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

scarycave posted:

They still do it in Skyrim.

BioEnchanted posted:

I kinda like all the unpolished PSP upscales that I got for the PS4, type-0 was fairly engaging and I had fun playing it and God Eater 2 had potential
Both are on steam and I really hope the trend of niche Japanese games hitting PC now becomes a more popular thing because I would love to not have any incentive to buy a playstation five.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
H:ZD is so drat good I sunk 60 hours into doing the whole main game to exhaustion (I was only missing random background lore data points)

Then sunk another 40 doing it again, on ng+ that they added for free, on ultra hard and loved the poo poo out of it. All to have some face paint and a different color glow on my Google glass. Which I never used.

It is the most loving depressing lore background in a game I have played in recent memory and is worth buying for that alone. :3:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

DelphiAegis posted:

H:ZD is so drat good I sunk 60 hours into doing the whole main game to exhaustion (I was only missing random background lore data points)

Then sunk another 40 doing it again, on ng+ that they added for free, on ultra hard and loved the poo poo out of it. All to have some face paint and a different color glow on my Google glass. Which I never used.

It is the most loving depressing lore background in a game I have played in recent memory and is worth buying for that alone. :3:

Seriously, the apocalypse that caused the world to be the way it is is absolutely terrifying.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

scarycave posted:

The thing is, I'm pretty sure it's the same actor, just doing a different voice. Like they had the dude back in the studio and decided not to have him record the lines in the Beggar voice too. It's even lazier than it seems, is what I'm getting at.

That said, Oblivion was the first Open-World game that clicked with me, and I'll always have a fondness for it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

They still do it in Skyrim.

Yes! I might actually have to buy skyrim now. But I don't really have time for big open world games.
I know a lot of people poo poo on Bethesda because of how buggy their games can get or really bad design choices, but sometimes it's just funny and you can't hate it.

Also how can you possibly hate a game company where there idea to create a moving train was to have a guy wear the train like a hat?

Agents are GO! posted:

That said, Oblivion was the first Open-World game that clicked with me, and I'll always have a fondness for it.

Same, but with Fallout 3. Though Oblivion is my favorite elder scrolls game, but that might because I haven't really played any others in the series.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I just don't get why Bethesda doesn't just hire some better writers. Do the ones they have own majority shares in the company and they can't kick them out? Failsons of the CEO? IP holders?

Been playing Witcher III: Blood and Wine lately and it is almost surreal how much better the writing is than Fallout/Skyrim. There's like, ten minute conversations in W3 that I look forward to and keep going for as long as possible to hear it all.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Aug 2, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

scarycave posted:

Yes! I might actually have to buy skyrim now. But I don't really have time for big open world games.
I know a lot of people poo poo on Bethesda because of how buggy their games can get or really bad design choices, but sometimes it's just funny and you can't hate it.

Also how can you possibly hate a game company where there idea to create a moving train was to have a guy wear the train like a hat?

every time I play skyrim it's for like, a few hours one night and then I never play again for a few months.

Also I think someone recently realized the head train thing was actually a hand replacement, that turned into a train hat.

Useless
Sep 13, 2003
I'm keeping three or four fingers crossed you get a buick up the ass before the night is over.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I just don't get why Bethesda doesn't just hire some better writers. Do the ones they have own majority shares in the company and they can't kick them out? Failsons of the CEO? IP holders?

Been playing Witcher III: Blood and Wine lately and it is almost surreal how much better the writing is than Fallout/Skyrim. There's like, ten minute conversations in W3 that I look forward to and keep going for as long as possible to hear it all.

I remember reading back in the day (aka this might not be 100% accurate) that Bethesda likes having the people who design the levels write the dialog that goes with them. Makes sense in a "level design and quest design are intrinsically tied" way, but doesn't realize that environment design and plot writing are totally different skill sets and disciplines...

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I remember the exact point when I realized that I was basically doing filler quests in witcher 3 as I picked up another load of them off the notice board of a new town. I realized it and then realized they were actually incredibly fun and compelling and witcher 3 is great.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
My theory is bethesda games are popular because the most common thing people like is gaining levels in a semi coherent world.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Vic posted:

My theory is bethesda games are popular because the most common thing people like is gaining levels in a semi coherent world.

They're popular because the only competition they have in their specific field is usually complete and utter garbage, like Two Worlds and no one really wants to step up and try to fight Bethesda for the throne because there's no way you're going to win that one without an equally well established IP.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The least lovely piece of garbage in a wasteland. Bethesda figured this marketing thing out.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bethesda's games don't succeed by some elaborate conspiracy, they succeed because they know what their audience wants, and delivers consistently. The quality of their games has generates brand loyalty, which attracts the audience to the next game, etc.

Fallout 3's successful revival of the series was significantly dependent on the knowledge that Bethesda was making it from the get go. Even if you had no idea what Fallout was (and why would you have, since the last game came out when 2D isometric was cutting edge and/or came out when you were five), you knew it would be good, since it was in Bethesda's hands. Which it was, despite what the past and future NMA folks would try to convince you otherwise.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Jesus christ can we please just ban Bethesda chat from this thread like they used to do with Dark Souls.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Calling H:ZD "Far Cry 3 with robodinos" is kind of like saying that The Witcher 3 is like Skyrim with a set character.

On the one hand yeah kinda but on the other hand, not really, no.

It's more like The Witcher 3 story-wise - like, it's obviously a very different story and a shorter game but that's kind of how things progress world-wise - and like the new Tomb Raider games in combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MisterBibs posted:

Bethesda's games don't succeed by some elaborate conspiracy, they succeed because they know what their audience wants, and delivers consistently.

I disagree, but basically only on semantic grounds. I think they're good at what their audience wants, but that they don't entirely know what that is. Hence why their later games struggle to cater to it, either placing too much specific character into the protagonist that can be at odds with how the player wants to play it (Fallout 4), or more subtly, with things like unconsciously guiding players towards certain prescriptive playstyles (Skyrim, but Fallout 4's got this to lesser degrees).

It's a similar conflict between developer intention and player desire that you saw from Rockstar when they made GTAIV, although I feel like in Bethesda's case it's more stupidity than spite. Rockstar clearly doesn't like the 'GTA playstyle' and actively works in both gameplay and writing to discourage it, while Bethesda just hasn't quite figured out what they should and shouldn't be doing. I keep hoping to see another company try to make a competitor to Bethesda that's more in line with the general player mood, like how Saints Row and Just Cause 2 capitalized on the way people played GTA and its ilk, but it hasn't happened.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Aug 2, 2017