Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So what's to stop trump from simply lifting sanctions and then signing the bill that would have prevented him from doing so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I saw Carter teach Sunday school last year. If Baptists has saints, he’d be one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I suspect I know the answer, but does Deval Patrick have any progressive positions or is he bog standard Democrat?

His big downside is that after he left the governorship he went to work for Bain Captial.

Yeah, that Bain Capital.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

His big downside is that after he left the governorship he went to work for Bain Captial.

Yeah, that Bain Capital.

Please inform we ignorant, briefly?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is this guy trolling or is he really this stupid?

ted kennedy primaried carter because he was too left, as we all know

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

KickerOfMice posted:

Bain? Please inform we ignorant, briefly?

The company Mitt Romney started. Was a big deal in 2012.

Their MO is to basically parasitically attach to companies, rip the money out and dump them.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Decided to look up Helms...

He's also one Tedward Rafael Cruz's favorite senator, shockingly enough.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Krispy Kareem posted:

I saw Carter teach Sunday school last year. If Baptists has saints, he’d be one.

And the Carter center eradicates Guinea Worm. Y'know, stuff we all do on the weekends.

The lovely worm itself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dracunculiasis

Imagine :can: but the can is your leg!

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 2, 2017

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

It's good to see the Trump administration tackling totally real and not at all made up issues such as voter fraud and discrimination against white college applicants.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I remember a poo poo ton of conservatives making fun of Carter at the announcement of his brain cancer.

I like to think he beat that cancer out of pure loving spite toward those hateful fucks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I imagine a Trump given eulogy would go something like this:

"We are here to remember this great man. I say great but really he wasn't as great as me. For instance he didn't win the election by 600 electoral votes like I did. And I am pretty sure he didn't bang anyone on any yacht. By the way have I told you about my hot daughter..." and then it will just become an Abe Simpson style rambling for about 30 minutes. Days later he will tell anyone who will listen about how everyone said he gave the best eulogy ever for some loser.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
seriously tho:

cut capital gains tax
ran on single payer then once in office said it was too expensive
the whole fallout from his abandonment of labor, both the air traffic controller thing and the failure of the full employment humphrey-hawkins act

quote:

In 1979, a reporter asked International Association of Machinists president Wimpy Winpisinger a question about Jimmy Carter. Winpisinger was among the most progressive labor leaders of the decade, trying to shake organized labor out of its bureaucratic complacent doldrums.

quote:

Q: Is there any way the President can redeem himself in your eyes?
WW: Yes, there one way he can do it.
Q: What’s that?
WW: Die.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Random Question. Would Robert Kennedy have won in 68 if not for getting murdered? Or was the social backlash to the Civil Rights movement among scared white people too strong?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Would Robert Kennedy have won in 68 if not for getting murdered?

this is one of the biggest political what ifs of all time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Winpisinger sounds like a loving rear end in a top hat

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If the University of California schools are any indication, killing affirmative action will result in the Ivies getting taken over by Asian students.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

This discussion reminds me of the difference between treating teens who are wannabe ISIS recruits as adult terrorists or children with huge psychological and social issues. They won't grow out of it they need intense treatment and re-education. And simultaneously ISIS is a repugnant group with a repugnant ideology.

I can't quite tell exactly what position you're taking, but work by social services in parts of Europe like Denmark strongly suggest yeah they do grow out of it and no you don't need intense "re-education." The social forces that induce kids to join ISIS or white nationalist groups or street gangs are very similar. If you can talk them out of taking the plunge into active participation, they will often grow out of their interest in radical action. There's even been serious semi-official efforts to look the other way as Isis veterans put down their guns and come home, especially if they'll collaborate on stopping future recruits from making the same mistakes they did.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

FizFashizzle posted:

this is one of the biggest political what ifs of all time.

Considering that Nixon was probably willing to murder people to defeat a Kennedy in an election..... no. Not cleanly, in my uninformed opinion.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not sure if RFK would have been able to overcome the backlash against Dems for pushing civil rights bills which arguably propelled Nixon to the WH.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Tarezax posted:

If the University of California schools are any indication, killing affirmative action will result in the Ivies getting taken over by Asian students.

It'll affect the northeast as well. Big time.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I really believe of all Trump supporters, mitchy is the most die hard

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/892559691418669056

I cannot fathom what he would be okay with his savior doing.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not sure if RFK would have been able to overcome the backlash against Dems for pushing civil rights bills which arguably propelled Nixon to the WH.

I'm not sure RFK would have gotten the nomination seeing as he was behind when he entered the primaries.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

well humphrey turned off a poo poo load of democrats. he hadn't even run in the primaries and was just appointed at the convention. the left wing, anti war branch hated him and didn't turn out.

george wallace really hosed that race up. But a better candidate could have easily overcome Nixon in that race. from wiki

quote:

The key states proved to be California, Ohio, and Illinois, all of which Nixon won by three percentage points or less. Had Humphrey carried all three of these states, he would have won the election. Had he carried only two of them or just California alone, George Wallace would have succeeded in his aim of preventing an electoral college majority for any candidate, and the decision would have been given to the House of Representatives, at the time controlled by the Democratic Party.

That's razor thin.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

BlueberryCanary posted:

Forget about his polls. If the US stopped paying its debts, the results would be so utterly catastrophic the entire GOP would be sunk in both 2018 and 2020. The US would enter a full-blown depression, along with most of the western world. The single most powerful predictor of elections (statistically speaking) is the economy.

All of the world's economy. China's economy would explode if we repudiated that much debt and take down the rest of Asia's economy with it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

well humphrey turned off a poo poo load of democrats. he hadn't even run in the primaries and was just appointed at the convention. the left wing, anti war branch hated him and didn't turn out.

george wallace really hosed that race up. But a better candidate could have easily overcome Nixon in that race. from wiki

That's razor thin.

I shouldn't have asked, it's just going to make me feel bad. :smith:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pakled posted:

I don't think D&D has ever really been a conservative bastion, but from what old-timers say, this place had more of a typical internet libertarian bent until the McCain toxx thread in 2008 wiped them all out and cleared the way for all the leftists.

The history is a bit more complicated than that. 9-11 was really the start of this communities political consciousness and D&D was originally created to move political discussions out of GBS. In the very early days D&D was actually fairly right leaning, with a strong libertarian contingent and a small (and mostly outclassed at the time) left-ish contingent. (Not terribly left at all by current standards with the exception of a few teenage communists). The first cracks of leftism really started in the I/P threads (which were like 15% of the board back then), but the real first rivulets of leftism started in the wake of Bush Jr's endless fuckups as well as the disaster of the Iraq war. We Goons supported our troops back then and I can recall at least one rather successful charity drive wherein we bought a bunch of used kevlar and shipped it over to a unit (which I believe had several Goons but don't quote me on that) who then used it to up-armor their humvees against IED's. Goons had gradually soured on the GOP and Republicanism in general and and by about 2005 Republicanism had started to become a dying breed here. By about 2006 or so there was an emerging struggle between leftism and Libertarianism- with Libertarian ideas holding a distinct edge.

2007 is when things started to get really interesting. Libertarianism had actually been the closest thing to a dominant ideology on the board for about a year or so at that point but the advent of the Ron Paul Revolution pretty much brought about the downfall of Libertarinism. The sub-forum "Laissez-fair" (hereafter referred to as "LF") was created in part to dump all the lovely Ron Paul threads into one place and the relaxed ruleset was in part meant to mock Libertarian ideas. The early days of LF were pretty much the decisive war between Libertarianism and leftism in this community. The endless fuckups of Ron Paul and the endless hilarity of how blatantly he scammed his supporters resulted in a decisive route of Libertarian posters. (This was also the time of Paradol Rex and Toblerone Traingular- two amazing posters for completely opposite reasons) The McCain Toxx thread was the finishing blow on Libertarian posters in this community but the mortal one had already long been struck at that point.

Once Libetarianism had been routed off the board something rather unique in Internet history happened- an event I have never personally witnessed the like of since or before. (Nor do I expect to.) The victorious leftist posters took the occasion to fill LF with some of the finest effortposts this community has ever produced. If there was truly a "golden age" of effortpositng in this community, it was this 2nd phase of LF. Poster HidingFromGoro for example almost singlehandedly changed the entire boards views on the American penal system and was pretty much responsible for making the forum woke to LE corruption/violence. The entire community noticeably shifted leftward over the course of the next year as leftist ideas were discussed in a very patient way by exceedingly knowledgeable Goons and activists. A dearth of knowledge was absorbed by the community and the conversations evolved at a very rapid pace.

However eventually hivemind rot set in at LF and thus was the third and final age of that notorious subforum. LF had started to become insular and antagonistic to the rest of the community- no was sufficiently left/no one was raging enough about whatever-cause-of-the-moment-had-LF-screaming today. Eventually LF become isolated and then simply cut off for being too much loving trouble to deal with. (I believe the FBI served more than one warrant for poster records as a result of various poo poo LF said/did.) The LF hardcore split off and are (I believe) still in existence as some sort of wierd cultish group that unironically believes in full communisn now. (I really don't care enough to look, but that was essentially their fate as of ~5 years or so ago).

You know something rather odd has just occurred to me- the history of the evolution of this community is actually quite interesting and genuinely worth knowing. However despite this being an online community wherein every word is preserved for eternity the knowledge of the history of this community is essentially the digital equivalent a verbal tradition at this point.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 2, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Giggy posted:

I'm not sure RFK would have gotten the nomination seeing as he was behind when he entered the primaries.

it didn't matter. Humphrey didn't even run in the primaries. Things were different back then.

RFK intentionally didn't enter the race until later after seeing how the voters reacted to someone whos name im forgetting who was basically his political stalking horse.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Random Question. Would Robert Kennedy have won in 68 if not for getting murdered? Or was the social backlash to the Civil Rights movement among scared white people too strong?

He definitely would have won the primary.

Impossible to say for the general.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

So good, yet they used the wrong whose/who's...

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Prester Jane posted:

You know something rather odd has just occurred to me- the history of the evolution of this community is actually quite interesting and genuinely worth knowing. However despite this being an online community wherein every word is preserved for eternity the knowledge of the history of this community is essentially the digital equivalent a verbal tradition at this point.

Toss it all into the wikipedia page for the forums!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I forgot how much Deval Patrick sounds like a grown-up Steve Urkel.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

seriously tho:

cut capital gains tax
ran on single payer then once in office said it was too expensive
the whole fallout from his abandonment of labor, both the air traffic controller thing and the failure of the full employment humphrey-hawkins act

Serious Q: Do you think we've ever had a sufficiently progressive president?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Carter deregulated the beer industry, leading to thousands of craft brewers to provide you with the alcohol needed to survive in 2017 America.

He was ahead of his time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Serious Q: Do you think we've ever had a sufficiently progressive president?

Are there any more Roosevelts out there

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FDR had literal internment camps and Teddy wanted to exterminate Latin Americans.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I don't think so. But we do have a young Kennedy in Congress right now.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think you'll find that both Roosevelts did a number of bad things during their terms, so they were both trash presidents.

That's what I'm getting at though -- I don't consider Carter's faults bad enough to label him as a bad president. But I don't consider a "good" president to be ideologically pure either. That seems like an impossible standard.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Toss it all into the wikipedia page for the forums!

Actually how would a thread to try and remember then memorialize the communities history/evolution be received? I know that navelgazing and "posting about posting" have long been considered faxu-paus here but I feel that attitude (while unarguably beneficial) may have resulted in the current absence of collective knowledge of how this community developed. I think a thread where we politely try and discuss what we all remember of this communities development (with an intended ened-goal to make an as-accurate-as-possible memorialization of our history as possible) could be quite useful.

If a few posters like the idea I'd be willing to throw up an OP and add what I remember to get the conversation started.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Teddybear posted:

Yup! Two-thirds majority in each house to override it. It would still need to go to the president's desk for signing or veto, and you know that if you sent it four days before the deadline, he'd let it sit for five days out of spite and let us default simply because he didn't get what he wanted.

Congress can impeach and convict in a day though, and if they think he's going to do that, wouldn't they? After all, not only are we talking electoral melt down, but it's an attack on their personal finances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Prester Jane posted:

Actually how would a thread to try and remember then memorialize the communities history/evolution be received? I know that navelgazing and "posting about posting" have long been considered faxu-paus here but I feel that attitude (while unarguably beneficial) may have resulted in the current absence of collective knowledge of how this community developed. I think a thread where we politely try and discuss what we all remember of this communities development (with an intended ened-goal to make an as-accurate-as-possible memorialization of our history as possible) could be quite useful.

If a few posters like the idea I'd be willing to throw up an OP and add what I remember to get the conversation started.

I'd read it. I always like hearing the oral tradition of internet communities.

• Locked thread