Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Fish and Chimps posted:

Well these certainly are 32 Hanoverians I never have to paint again.

"20 mm" Newline dudes, although they're closer to large 18 mm. I think.

Still need to do varnish, bases and flag tho

Those look great! I have to admit; I've never seen anyone paint Hanoverians before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

Those look great! I have to admit; I've never seen anyone paint Hanoverians before.

Thanks! They shouldn't be that rare since about 1/3 of the brigades in the British divisions at Waterloo were Hanoverians.

Great looking table! I shared you AAR with my CoC-happy gaming group.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 23, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I just got my shiptment of 10mm mans from Pendraken (half-assembled 28mm KV-1 for scale) - They're so tiny and adorable! :neckbeard:

First time working with a scale other than 28mm. This should be interesting.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 24, 2017

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I cannot but help feel that 10mm was the scale I wanted to play when I got into FoW. 15mm is fine, and 6mm is great for sweeping battles, but 10mm seems to have the right level of chunky cartoonish detail in vehicles for whatever impulse drove me back then.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hi goons, does anyone here play Spectre Ops? I've been asked by my LGS to help make semi-realistic boards with them, what size tables do they use? 6x4? How much scenery or am I looking for? or go with something towards a realistic representation?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
First base of Foot Guards painted. Would have had more but the little one woke up.

They're supposed to look like they're forming square when they're all done.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
For Napoleonics do you have to paint your same guys in different formations? Like marching, shooting, or square?

Panthrjd
May 12, 2012
Hey guys. I'm curious whether any of you have played Dux Britanniarum. A friend of mine have been trying out the campaign, and we've seen it's got a lot of good reviews online. We're wondering... how.
We've been trying *very* hard to like it, but the rules are just really poorly worded, and just so many things are unclear. I'm convinced we have to be doing something wrong, and we've asked on their forums for rules clarifications on what shouldn't be fringe issues. The forum has sadly been less than helpful. I was hoping that some of you on here might be able to shed some light on the subject.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

For Napoleonics do you have to paint your same guys in different formations? Like marching, shooting, or square?

No, thank Christ! Usually they'll be based on 4-8 bases so you can just place them in the different formations. I just want a little variety in my battalions. Most of my guys are just marching so I'm trying to switch it up a little.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Phi230 posted:

Nah, but it looks nice for a lot of people who want their rank and file to look cool. Just like macedonian sarissas or swiss pikes.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I just spent £55 on 144 French to build a brigade. Send help :gonk:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fish and Chimps posted:

Ok send me ur french

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Bolt Action Rules Question: When you add an LMG or flamethrower to a squad, one additional guy gets designated loader/assistant. Can he still act independently as a rifleman/submachinegunner, for example if your LMG gets sniped out, and during assaults? That's how I thought it was but now that I'm looking at the way they tell you to assemble the squads for the starter set (loader and gunner on the same base) it looks like maybe the loader and LMG operator have a suicide pact?

The way my group plays it is that the loader is needed to fire the LMG and can't fire his own gun. However in assaults or if the gunner gets shot he acts like any other infantryman in the unit.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Fish and Chimps posted:

I just did an inventory of my unpainted nappy hoard. The infantry part alone is some 300 models strong. How the hell did I get this kind of backlog in one year?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I thought my stash was huge, but I tried out the desktop background generator on scalemates and it told me that my stash was too small to generate a decently sized one, so I guess I'm not as bad as a lot of people.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeah, at this point I have more unpainted WW2 stuff than painted WW2 stuff. :argh:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I have boxes and bags of unpainted Napoleonics everywhere. Hanoverians, Guards, Highlanders, artillery, heavy cavalry, and then all my unpainted ww2 stuff in both 15 and 28mm.

I repeat:

Send

help

Edit: The tip of the iceberg.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 26, 2017

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Smaller scales are cool because you don't just get a couple of tanks, you get so many tanks. :getin:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I need to start painting again I have a full company of 28mm in backlog rn

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

First battalion of Foot Guards painted. The square works really well I think.

I still need to do bases but I'm thinking I'll do a big batch at some point.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Fish and Chimps posted:

First battalion of Foot Guards painted. The square works really well I think.

I still need to do bases but I'm thinking I'll do a big batch at some point.

Looks nice! But didn't you miss the white stuff on their cuffs?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

zokie posted:

Looks nice! But didn't you miss the white stuff on their cuffs?

I don't know, why don't you paint 400 little dudes and tell me.

j/k I'm being really selective about the details I can paint at this small scale with these huge numbers of dudes. Cuff embroidery didn't make the cut.

Edit: e.g. these highlanders where their kilts really only have an approximation of tartan, but it'll look close enough on the table.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 28, 2017

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That square looks really good.

I got to play Chain of Command today, just some basic stuff, and probably made a huge amount of mistakes, but I liked it in practice, super elegant.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Crossposting some 6mm scale Parthians!

Grey Hunter posted:

Oath Complete

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Crossposting some 6mm scale Parthians!

Nice!

I'm back to painting some WW2, a platoon plus support for DAK, in a brief Napoleonic break. God drat is it relaxing to paint compared to 19th century stuff. "Hmm... I guess I'll slap these three types of brown on them, and then wash them with brown."

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
It was tough to get all these corks but I managed it. My wife selflessly assisted me.

A regiment of Heavy Dragoons for the first third of the Union Brigade. I even have a Ponsonby model to lead them.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Got my first order from PSC, 10 pz IIIs and 5 pz IVs. That'll bulk up my stuff nicely, they look fantastic.

Building a Herman Goring tank company. 3 of the Pz IVs are becoming Pz IVH HQ tanks, and two more are being made into F1s for my midwar army. The pz IIIs are mostly becoming IIIMs for the tank platoons, with a few IIINs. Added to that, I've got a pair of Tigers (Probably just going to paint one for the desert and one for Italy) and a fallschirmjaeger platoon. Wanting to get a motorcycle scout platoon and a 10.5cm battery, and maybe some flakpanzer gepards and some air support to round things out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just buy five of everything. You know you'll want to use that many eventually.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Arquinsiel posted:

Just buy five of everything. You know you'll want to use that many eventually.

You are the devil.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm just saving you headaches in the future mang.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Should I make an Oath to paint stuff?

Is it a good motivator? I have a huge backlog that I'm afraid to begin painting because I've spent so much time off and I'm afeared of loving them up especially since I need to do stuff like camo and weathering.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oathing last season helped me tremendously. I got a ton of stuff painted. This season, not so much.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I find Oathing is super useful as a motivator to actually _finish_ things. Your mileage may vary, but I say go for it! There's nothing to lose.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Seems like SP2 is the go to Napoleonics system around here, but I would assume BP is more popular in general? Do either of those things matter if I just want to buy and paint some 28mm mans? I can just pick a system when the whim strikes me? Is 28mm the most popular size? I'm new to this level of grog mans.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Oathing is cool and good. Even if I do gently caress up, at least I gently caress up with nearly done miniatures in my hands!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

COOL CORN posted:

Seems like SP2 is the go to Napoleonics system around here, but I would assume BP is more popular in general? Do either of those things matter if I just want to buy and paint some 28mm mans? I can just pick a system when the whim strikes me? Is 28mm the most popular size? I'm new to this level of grog mans.

I think more people here aren't as hot on Black Powder because it needs a billion models and a lot of table space to play at 28mm.

If you're just looking to paint it doesn't matter at all what ruleset you're using, and I think if you base them 4 dudes to a base you don't even have to do anything special to use the models in both systems.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think more people here aren't as hot on Black Powder because it needs a billion models and a lot of table space to play at 28mm.

Just play God's Own Scale if you want Black Powder.

https://www.baccus6mm.com

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I do black-powder-era minis at 15mm scale. It works fine for Sharp Practice.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Don't go 28mm for BP! Just look at the pics in the rule book to see how much space they expect you to have. Also, you'll go crazy before painting enough 28mm dudes to play.

If you're certain you want to play divisional sized games, you should really pick a smaller scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I think there's two ways I'd go for 28mm Napoleonics:

1: If you want your own force, start out with something like Sharp Practice or even smaller scale skirmish. We started playing with about 60-70ish miniatures, and it still worked. At around a hundred or so minis, it's perfectly fine and I don't think I'd get that much more out of the game by adding more stuff at the same time. However, I can keep growing my collecting by broadening my options, but I can still get a game in in 2-3 hours (minus prep time) and a 6'x4' table (though a 8'x4' table is better).

Basically, two boxes of plastics and maybe a metal blister or two, and you're golden.

2: Club-based collective madness. There's a club nearby me where they get together a few times every year, with a ton of space, and play division level games (currently General de Brigade). These are long term players who have tons and tons of miniatures, and they still collectively pool them for their games. So one might be painting up a division of Prussian landwehr infantry for like, a year. It looks great, but you have to really organize it, and it's definitely a very long term dedication.

Now, you can get the second version much much easier by using a smaller scale, like 6, 10 or 15mm. Hell, even 1/72 scale miniatures are easier, as their much smaller footprint means that you need less space, and they cost a fraction of 28mm miniatures. So if you want to play 28mm Napoleonics, and you don't have a dedicated group of people ready to spend a year or three painting, I'd go for option 1. You can always use those miniatures later on as a base to expand from, just beefing up your units until they are big enough to join in larger battles if you find a local scene.

e: for me, I went with 28mm mainly because I like painting the uniforms in that scale. However, I've also bought 6mm miniatures for when we plan to play really big battles. Both are nice, and choosing one doesn't prevent you from giving the other a try as well. It's a very different experience, they scratch different kinds of itches for me.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 2, 2017